Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Helicopters

Compass Helicopters Rage RC Hellicopter Discussion

View Poll Results: Which size?
Exo 500 8 53.33%
Chronos / other 700 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Chronos or Exo?

I'm currently (when I have time) flying a 6VHU (awesome) and 380 (Chase stretch — mixed bag, this one). I don't really fly my 550U because it doesn't perform well and eats batteries; I could put in more appropriate electronics but I'd sooner stretch it (640mm maybe) or just strip it down for spares.

So which would I get more out of as an extension to my fleet, a 700 (maybe Chronos) or 500 (almost certainly the Exo)?

I'm currently leaning towards the 500 because I could use the same 3.5Ah 6s batteries on both that and the 6HVU, and because it would be easier to get more flights with. But I'm also curious if a 700 has much to offer beyond a 620?

Space isn't usually a problem. I fly soft/floaty 3D with aims to get more precise. I won't be completing a new model until April due to time constraints; hopefully the second batch of Exos will be out by then.
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Get both Chronos and eXo.

I don't have an eXo yet but have been very happy with my Chronos. I honestly think it is one of the best pure 700 class helis out there. It has been refined through the years first with major tail mech and drivetrain improvements (Delrin main gear) as the 7HVU, and then with head/geometry refinements to make it a Chronos.

With the Chronos there is no need to fuzz about replacing belts for the main drive. At the same time the belt for the tail drive needs no maintenance. Set the tension once and ground the boom and unless you crash, you don't need to worry about the belt again. The body is very rigid especially with the stiffeners added for the Chronos. It can withstand crashes very well too... My 7HVU fell from more than 10 stories high after a possible brown out and the major damage were only the blades, boom, boom braces, and the lower sacrificial frames. The lipos were slightly tacoed but survived and I am still using them to this day.

Regarding the 550U not sure why you don't enjoy it as much... It is my favorite single pack bird. I did have to drop the head speed down to 2300 rpm to get more flight time and lessen the stress on the lipos but even at this lower head speed it is still very fast. I also made mine as light as possible... 7.4 lbs AUW on a bathroom scale with a 6S 5000 mah 65C pulse lipo. I also enjoy flying it at lower head speeds using 4S and, just recently 3S lipos. I get up to 7 minute flight time (1400-1600 rpm) with two 3S 3300 mah wired in parallel. With a 6600 4S lipo I get 6 minute flight times (1900-2000 rpm).
Old 12-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, both AND a warp :cool: :cool:
Luigi_tuga is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2016, 10:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Tough call. If I didn't have a 700 it would be chronos, but it won't stop you from drooling at the exo is the problem
Old 12-26-2016, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
Get both Chronos and eXo.
Maybe some day; not sure how many helis I really need

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Ewing View Post
Tough call. If I didn't have a 700 it would be chronos, but it won't stop you from drooling at the exo is the problem
Haha, true. Maybe a 700 should come first then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
Regarding the 550U not sure why you don't enjoy it as much... It is my favorite single pack bird. I did have to drop the head speed down to 2300 rpm to get more flight time and lessen the stress on the lipos but even at this lower head speed it is still very fast. I also made mine as light as possible... 7.4 lbs AUW on a bathroom scale with a 6S 5000 mah 65C pulse lipo. I also enjoy flying it at lower head speeds using 4S and, just recently 3S lipos. I get up to 7 minute flight time (1400-1600 rpm) with two 3S 3300 mah wired in parallel. With a 6600 4S lipo I get 6 minute flight times (1900-2000 rpm).
Mine is powerful but slow on cyclic. Not sure if it's more slow servos, weight or blades. Even so, I can't see how it can compete with the 600 model; maybe you should get one
Old 12-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Mine is powerful but slow on cyclic. Not sure if it's more slow servos, weight or blades. Even so, I can't see how it can compete with the 600 model; maybe you should get one "

I flew a 550U set up by a fellowCompass USA Team Member (RAM). It felt light, quick, stable-it was very quick and nimble.

Everything you would want in a helicopter.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Get both Chronos and eXo."

"Well, both AND a warp :cool: :cool:"

I could not agree more!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycled View Post
Mine is powerful but slow on cyclic. Not sure if it's more slow servos, weight or blades. Even so, I can't see how it can compete with the 600 model; maybe you should get one
Aside from the weight it could also be the blades you are using... The KBDD 550s are very responsive on the cyclic. I believe they are wider chord than typical 550 blades. I actually had to dial down the cyclic gains on mine a little.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like pack sharing which is why I mostly fly my chronos and 6hvu on 6s 5000. But in your case you already have packs for the exo and it's the hottest heli out right now so I'd get the exo

But I do love my chronos
dominator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Exooo wanttt
Old 01-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Chronos its stability and insane power is nothing what you have ever had in a helicopter. But it is more expensive and a different target then the Exo
MrEmail is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in