Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RC Heli Flying a summer Sport for me

I had charged 4 packs and aborted my flight plans yesterday at -1 F. So today I decided to hover on the backyard. Bright, sunny, no wind, around 12 F. I have gloves with no finger tips and those froze after the second flight. I also felt the 380 started shaking as the flight progressed and my battery voltage checker had a dim screen checking the packs.

I will just discharge packs on my charger and call it quits. Definitely I can't handle this weather.

Good thing at least they flew after completely redoing the heads with pitch turnbuckles and now iKon governor. So at least gained something. Also noticed a weird sound on the 420 tail need to take it apart.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Call me a pansy but I don't fly if its below 45ish degrees. Add wind to that and it just isn't enjoyable to me. Don't know how some of you guys fly in 20 degree temps thats nuts. I've tried believe me. My fingers usually freeze and the flight turns into trying not to crash vs flying relaxed. Not the kind of flying that I would consider beneficial.
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Your sponsor doesn't close shop for the winter. Maybe it's time to get into other RC stuff. Did you like my new sponsor BTW ? I still gotta clear it with TowPilot.

Poke poke tease tease....
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

When I was young 10f was t-shirt weather, due to my Eastern European blood.
But now I'm older and beat up from a life of hard work and other things I cannot tolerate the cold.

Soooo....Summer flying for me only.

Steve
Old 01-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I normally fly all winter, due to -20 temps and none stop snowfall I haven't been out in over 6 weeks. I'm starting to get the no fly blues.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

So if you are able to do anything in the yard you can always run inside get warm and get back at it. If you can fly your 420 in your yard, the Oxy should be easy. I also notice you skip right over Spring? Maybe you should just call yourself a fair weather flyer?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Semantics. I guess I meant warm weather. I did fly at 32 and was bearable and still ok. But yes I think putting a name to it on the 40s and above.

I can only hover on the backyard. Still not big enough for flying an Oxy around. I did some all orientation upright hover training session with the Oxy once though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
So if you are able to do anything in the yard you can always run inside get warm and get back at it. If you can fly your 420 in your yard, the Oxy should be easy. I also notice you skip right over Spring? Maybe you should just call yourself a fair weather flyer?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I wonder how well one of those patio heaters would work.

Steve
Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started flying the Nano in 21F this morning and hopefully its just the cold thats making its servos go bizerk but I parked it and got out the X3 and flew 5 packs and have them charging now for another round.

It helps to take a break and warm your fingers up in between packs. Its 33 now and beautiful clear blue sky so less worries.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just went out with Oxy 3 #2 again for two packs. The tail wag is gone now after lowering it ten points from default. I'm considering standing inside again or even sitting (move my Lazy Boy) and flying outside whilst looking out the sliding glass doors.

Don't take my teasing badly. You have a GREAT sponsor. He contacted me not vice versa and no I'm not on his team. Just friends now. I probably wouldn't play or fly well with others anyway.
BrokeDad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I flew a a nano CPS in my living room today; it was 10 degrees out this morning here in Vermont so for me it was inside, or no-fly. In the winter I'll fly outside if the temp is 36 degrees or above- TX mitt, tuque on my head, heli-pad on top of the snow...
Old 01-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Add me to the list, I just dread winter flying. If its above 45, I'll go out and fly. If I need gloves, forget it, I'd rather be inside repairing the damage I did during the year on other helis.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flown every heli I've ever owned in below freezing temps and none of them behaved any different then they do in summer. Actually less concerned about failures since overheating is no longer a concern. Chances are any issues you are experiencing now will still be there come spring.

Only issue has been with canopies cracking from the cold, the epoxy used on fiberglass canopies becomes brittle in cold and cheap canopies (Blade) will break like glass if you aren't careful. Oh and don't crash a heli with alot of cheap plastic parts, they can shatter like glass as well lol. Good quality, fiber reinforced and flexible plastics seem to handle the cold pretty good.

I fly every winter, just warm up in the truck between flights opposed to letting motors cool down between when it's 100 out so it's pretty much the same routine. Personally find 100 to be much more uncomfortable since with long johns, overalls, a hoodie, insulated boots and a good coat I don't get cold during the 3:30-5min flight between warm ups.

When the wind is howling and it's cold that's another story. Facing into a cold wind like I was this morning can make your eyes water which is a problem for obvious reasons. I can't stand anything on my hands when flying, fairly accustomed to the cold but if it's windy my hands start to hurt pretty quick.

If you have the right gear and do it enough to become acclimated to the cold, it's actually a really nice time to fly. Parks/schoolyards/ect are empty, visibility is phenomenal against a white snowcovered background, no bugs and quite often very quiet/peaceful. Love it!!

Sure glad I do cause around here spring is too wet, summer's too hot and fall's too windy quite often.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I haven't flown for a month and a half (except SIM) so I had to get out today. It was 18 degrees so I only got 4 packs in on the 450. This weather sucks. Back to the SIM
MCX2, 120SR, Blade 4503D w/Robird G31, Trex 500 w/RC Aerodyne A109 Scale Fuselage, 2X Trex 500's, Trex 550 w/ BD3SX, 2X Goblin 570's, 2X Goblin 700's w/BD3SX DX6i, DX9, Phoenix Sim, and a credit card. HF member #178,534, AMA
danfornow1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I don't fly if its below 50 degrees
I have flown in much colder temps numerous times but quit doing it several years ago

I have snowmobile suits transmitter gloves and etc etc

But I don't enjoy it when I have to bundle up like I am going sledding

I would much rather swat bugs and sweat and then have a barley pop or 2 when I am done flying and Barley pop doesn't taste as good when I am out in 32 degrees weather outside
banshee rider is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

One reason I switched from places to helis is to fly all year. The Turnigy transmitter muff with a disposable hand warmer is great. You can run pack after pack back to back without overheating issues on the ESC or motor. After the quick pack change, I grab the warmer in the muff and warm up the hands a bit before spool up. I have had some good flying this winter so far.

Of course anyone watching me is wondering why I am just standing there with my eyes on a stationary toy helicopter.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Think alot of it depends on how you spend the workweek and your other hobbies. I work outside all day quite often and also do some deer hunting.

Warming up in the truck in between 5min flights is nothing compared to holding on to a gun/bow while sitting motionless for hours on end. Working on the roof of a 9 story building all day or running a snowblower with the wind blowing it right back at you making you look like Frosty The Snowman. Of course you point the chute downwind whenever possible but due to sidewalk/property layout that's not always an option.

When I worked in a heat treating plant that was 80 in winter and 120F in summer I had no tolerance to cold. That changed really quick when the plant shut down and I went to construction then highrise apt building maintenance.

The right gear makes all the difference, 2-3 layers of good clothing works 10x better than 8 layers of crap. Can break a sweat with very little movement when you're dressed properly. Coveralls with zippers up the legs can be thrown on/off in a few seconds since you don't have to take your boots off.

Just one more thing in this hobby that's all personal preference. Sim bores me to death and there's no way I'm not going to fly for 6months straight...lol
Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dunno why some people give you crap about it lol. It's a hobby, you are supposed to enjoy yourself. If you don't enjoy 30 degree weather then you shouldn't force yourself to fly. It's OK to take a break once in a while guys

RCHN Listener Chat (Discord) - https://discord.gg/6SvCccC
corywrx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddmann View Post
I normally fly all winter, due to -20 temps and none stop snowfall I haven't been out in over 6 weeks. I'm starting to get the no fly blues.
You guys have the perfect spot for winter flying, with your big warmup room just 20 steps from flying pads!

Meghan and I hope to see you when we pass through Montana in May.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERRATIC View Post
I wonder how well one of those patio heaters would work.

Steve
They work but at the very least just cook your scalp. Now I have a harbor freight or 12x8" propane IR heater cube but the wind does blow them out. Like the only way would be a square canvas tent with a heater. Then run out n fly run back in to warm. Any thing warming or gas heat will fog a window. I was thinking maybe buy a cheap wooded shed insulate cut out a window and mount a screen door long ways with hinge up. Then heat that living in the ice hole hut flying rc heli's at the field year round small Pott belly stove with a touch for starting show up half hour early with Starbucks my worst problem is my toe feet. Ever since I spent a drunken night under a evergreen in late fall ;( I've had finger joint pain and my toe go numb in the very cold to point I loose dexterity. I use the radio warm glove n hk heaters so tx n hands are unconfortable but flyablw with my coat sleeves jacked up. But ran out of toe Warmer so my toe have suffered last few times I ve tried to go yesterday but snow stopped n frozen combo lock at the gate. By them I was spent. Maybe this wkend I can fly inside a gym if big enough for 380. Have to see
Trex_600n,Trex_500,MR25,MikadoLoGo5003D_KDE,CastleCreations,Ys,JR XG8,Sab Goblin 380/X_Nova/Bk_Servos, JR TagsMini//Sab Goblin 500Pulse Edition, Sab Goblin570Carbon_SABUSA_X_Nova_BkServos_KDE,RJX-Swash,JR-SPG-Tail/TagsMini_JRX-Bus.
JEEPWORLD2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in