3DIGI Governor w/ Hobbywing Compatibility - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > 3Digi FBL System

3Digi FBL System 3Digi Supoort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 02:35 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

The governor seems to work fine with the Hobbywing Flyfun V5 RPM signal. It's not mentioned in the manuals but the HV Flyfun units have an RPM signal, even tech support apparently didn't know this. The white single wire is reverse brake and the yellow wire is RPM signal while the manual states that the yellow wire is brake and doesn't mention the white wire at all. However the manual appears to be written for the LV units.

So far I have only run it on the bench not under load though, I'll find out for sure next week when I've finished converting my Rush to 800mm blades.

None of the Flyfun V5 units have a governor or helicopter soft start (it has airplane type softstart only) however a 160A HV unit costs half what the 160A Platinum V4 does and you don't need that anyway if you are using an FBL governor.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 12:07 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I had similar problems with the Flyfun V5 RPM output, like with the Platinum V4 an NPN transistor alone did not solve the issue, however this circuit fixed it:

The white wire attached to ground in this circuit doesn't exist on the Platinum V4 and can be left out (it's just a brake signal wire and grounding it is good practice). Yellow wire is the RPM signal wire.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Picture doesn't show. Can you upload it again please?
TomasN is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasN View Post
Picture doesn't show. Can you upload it again please?

I'm now pretty sure that the 10M shunt resistor isn't needed, tried it without and no difference. It's only there to ensure that the transistor stays fully off if the base goes slightly negative which does not appear to ever happen. I think you can omit grounding the white (brake) wire on the Flyfun V5 too. This will simplify things as you can just solder a resistor directly to the transistor then solder on the leads and cover it in shrink tubing (you should cover the individual soldered leads with shrink tubing then cover the whole thing)

According to this calculator and using the specs of the 2N2222A with a 50K ohm load at the collector (there's a 40k internal pullup resistor in the STM32 and a 10K resistor between the port on the MCU and the signal pin) and 3.3v you should use a 1.5M ohm resistor on the base. So I will try that next and see if there is any difference in the RPM logs. I suspect there will be no change though.

EDIT: Turns out this is too much so I'm changing my recommendation back to 1M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM Adaptor 2.png
Views:	100
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	723126   Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM Adaptor 3.png
Views:	431
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	723127  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-19-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Old 09-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I tried the 1.5M ohm resistor and didn't see any apparent changes. Regardless I'd still recommend the 1.5M resistor just to ensure the transistor is saturated regardless of batch variances (the actual gain of bipolar junction transistors of the same model varies quite a bit from transistor to transistor) The calculator I found online seems to think 1.5M ohm is correct so I'm going with that.

EDIT: Changing my recommendation back to 1M. I had intermittent RPM signal dropouts with 1.5M ohm.

I have only tried this on a Hobbywing Flyfun V5 160 HV not a Platinum V4 however they both seem to have the same problems with the RPM signal so I think it will probably work.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-19-2017 at 11:08 PM..
Old 09-19-2017, 02:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for sharing. Where should be connected brown wire from ESC? To ground? Or it should be completle disconnected?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomasN View Post
Thanks for sharing. Where should be connected brown wire from ESC? To ground? Or it should be completle disconnected?
Not sure what you mean, I'm only familiar with the Hobbywing Flyfun V5 130A and 150A OPTO HV which has a single yellow wire for RPM. It doesn't need to be grounded because it has a common ground with the throttle lead. If the RPM lead has it's own ground than that should also be grounded. The Platinum V4's I have looked at (only in pictures from the manual) seem to also only have a single yellow RPM lead and I assume that the ground is shared with the throttle lead.

Also, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you NEVER connect power to the RPM signal port on the 3DIGI. It is directly connected to a port on the MCU and it can only handle 3.3v.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just want to point out I'm changing my recommendation back to 1M ohm. I ran into problems with 1.5M. 1M seems (so far) to work perfectly however.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:39 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Made up a "clean" one tonight:

The resistor leads are small enough to fit through the same hole as the base lead on the transistor. The emitter and collector pins were bent over to bridge across to the wires (the red wire is actually the signal wire). It will be covered in shrink tube with a slit cut in the side for the pin header to stick through.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RPM_adaptor2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	723336   Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM_adaptor3.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	723337  
Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Nice work 👍
aziz76 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thanks
Old 09-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

A NOT gate works too, after testing this I can't say for sure if it works better but I like the fact that it uses more reasonable resistor values. I took a design for +5V and then calculated a suitable value for the base resistor from the 1k resistor used on +VCC but I couldn't say if that is close to ideal. However an inverting buffer chip such as a 7404 should work if you connect the VCC and GND pins to the RPM port power (+3.3v) and ground pins and connect the input and outputs of one of the gates to the signal pin and RPM wire. This would greatly simplify the adapter because it would require minimal soldering.

You can also get single and dual gate chips however these are all SMD devices. If you are comfortable soldering SMD components you could make a very tiny adapter using one of these.

EDIT Dirk told me that 1k is a little low for the load resistor and recommended 4.7K or 10K

EDIT: Made a quick prototype with a 10K and 150K resistor (didn't have any 110k resistors) and it seems to work the same to the 1k and 10K resistors. I did notice that the NOT gate seems to work better with higher governor gain values compared to the open collector adapter. I think there might still have been some signal instability with the open collector adapter.

The NOT gate doesn't seem to care much about exact resistor values as long as you are generally in the ballpark. I'm going to order some 1/8W 10k and 100K resistors make a clean version and call the problem fixed.

Updated schematic:

̶I̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶e̶r̶m̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶i̶s̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶N̶2̶2̶2̶2̶A̶ ̶d̶a̶t̶a̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶i̶s̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶:̶
̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶p̶e̶t̶e̶r̶v̶i̶s̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶G̶C̶S̶E̶_̶D̶e̶s̶i̶g̶n̶.̶.̶.̶a̶l̶c̶u̶l̶a̶t̶o̶r̶.̶h ̶t̶m̶l̶

EDIT: Forget this, see this page: https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-using-rtl-log

I updated the schematic to reflect this. Same R1 value will work with the 2N3904 mentioned below. They are close enough in base-emitter drop that the closest standard resistor value for R1 comes out the same either way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RPM Adaptor 5.png
Views:	75
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	723458   Click image for larger version

Name:	RPM Adaptor 6.png
Views:	268
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	723642  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-22-2017 at 06:43 PM..
Old 09-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think this is better, the 2N3904 is optimized for 10mA rather than 150mA so I think it suits this application better. It is also dirt cheap and very common.

̶A̶c̶c̶o̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶R̶1̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶4̶3̶K̶ ̶(̶s̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶4̶0̶k̶)̶ ̶h̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶4̶7̶K̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶i̶s̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶m̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶m̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶i̶l̶a̶b̶l̶e̶.̶

I used the low end of Dirk's recommendation for R2 this time on the theory that 0.7mA would be more resistant to electrical noise than 0.3mA.

EDIT: I just learned a lot today:

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...-using-rtl-log

So going with what I now know I'm updating the value of R1 to 56K. If you have say a 5.1k resistor laying around you could use that for R2 and scale the value for R1 by that and then pick the closest thing you have around for R1. Exact resistor values aren't really that critical, basically you just want to make sure that the base current is high enough that the transistor is very saturated.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-22-2017 at 06:43 PM..
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

No wind tonight so did some more hover tests, tail does not move at all in a hover, zero movement. I'm calling it fixed. Governor settings are P. gain 25 I. gain 50 overall gain 20.
Attached Files
File Type: txt flyfun_V5_NOT_gate.txt (1.41 MB, 7 views)

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-25-2017 at 09:56 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.