Soft Deck?? 50 Ft. - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Soft Deck?? 50 Ft.

Not necesarily to seek advice, but I'm curious if others have had the same stubling block.

Goes like this, on the sim I can do the rudiments of nearly all the usual 3D moves. Tic-Toc, 4 point, piro flip, all 8 orientations of hover and flight, funnels, mobius figure 8 in just about all the combinations, etc.

However, for many months now my IRL flying is static. In spite of flying at least 3 sessions a week, even during the winter:
4 point hover upright only
upright forward circuits
front & back flips
rainbows

Why no progress in spite of many IRL hours and many sim hours?

This is what I was thinking. For example, I want to practice IRL hover upside down. So I go up 50 ft and flip it upside down. Can't stay there more than a few seconds. What gives?? I can fly on the sim all day upside down.

Turns out, at 50 ft up, I can't even hold a tail-in hover. In fact I can't fly worth crap looking up at the bottom of the heli. I learned to fly on a T-rex 150 looking down on it.

So, what I thought I need to do is set a mental soft-deck where I only fly 50 feet high on the sim. I set the height readout so it projects on the heli.
My initial flights this way were hard, so maybe it is the answer. I'm going to try to re-learn all my basic 3D stuff up at 50 ft on the sim.

Then, I can try the stuff safely in real life.
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know how you feel. I found most sims have the camera zoomed in too much on the heli by default. Try zooming out a good bit so that even a 700 sized heli on the sim looks fairly small. That helped to get a more realistic perspective for me.

Things are still harder when looking up in real life though, seems to be getting better with time. I think the biggest part of this is the fear of crashing and gaining confidence in real life, and nothing has helped more with that than having a FBL system with a solid rescue. I don't even use it often but knowing it's there has helped a lot. I'm pretty stiff for the first several flights when I'm out but have been getting closer to flying like in the sim for the last couple flights of the day.

And if it's not already, try to make sure your setups in real life feel like what you're used to flying in the sim. It helped soooo much when I greatly increased my cyclic and tail rates in real life since what I practice on in the sim is quite fast.

And one last thing...if you don't have glasses or contacts or you do and you haven't checked your prescription in a while, that could help as well. I could barely fly before I got glasses.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I completely agree with you on this. It is much harder to do something when looking at the bottom of the heli, you lose a sense of the movement. It is much easier when it is more face level, just more intimidating as you are much lower. As mentioned above, having the heli and sim set up similar can really help. Having faster rates in real life has done wonders, as you feel like you have much more control vs. chasing it.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Simming has taught you the controls. Try 25', take a deep breath, and trust yourself. I'm sure you can do it.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got the same problem few years ago. I always have trouble when looking at the bottom.

One solution i found is to try not looking up more the 45 from the ground. If I need to go higher I just fly further. That way I always see it side in. Need to go 50 ft up just fly the heli 50 ft away from me.

Keeping the ground in my field of view also making it easier to judge distance and height.

As you get more comfortable IRL, you will fly lower and nearer in no time.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
eenoph is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I too have this problem with looking up at the underside of the heli.
It seems like as soon as it gets up past about twice my height I lose orientation... I wonder what's going on here..?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's all about your point of view. You need to learn to do things at different altitudes as well as in different locations. If you always hover 10 feet of the ground and 20 feet out, you'll only get use to seeing it at that angle. You need to learn to do this all over the place.
newbheliusr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

ic-racer
I think everyone here has good suggestions,but i think your idea is more practical for yourself it seems you already know the answer to your problem.
flipboy is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can hover inverted all day long on the sim in any orientation, then trying it 50 ft up seems a bit excessive to me. I think at some point you have to trust your skills and bring it down a bit lower. For me 10-15 ft feels comfortable enough for moves that I'm confident with. I'll go a little higher for new moves but not over say 30 ft. I'm at about the same level as you on the sim and just stay a step or two behind IRL.

Maybe try flipping it high up where you are comfortable and then bring it down gradually on collective where you can see it better? Then as you get more confident you can flip it lower in the first place.

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.