Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gaui Helicopters > NX4

NX4 Discussion and support of the Gaui NX4 Nitro Helicopter

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

well crap.

Went out to fly today. I forgot to check the gov on my laptop (which I didn't have with me) but decided to try IU2 anyway. Flew around in IU1 for a little bit then flipped to IU2. The engine screamed a bit and then died. I thought maybe it was lean so I turned both needles a little bit more rich. I could not get it re-started. After trying everything I could thing of, I replaced the glow plug and then it started. I guess it was burned out? It didn't look bad to be.

So anyway it started and again I flew around a bit in IU1, but this time landed before switching to IU2 in case it died again. It sounded really loud and fast to me but didn't die immediately so I started to fly a circle... then it died again.

I've broken something serious in the engine and am now taking it apart to see what I need to replace.

I tried to get some video but was alone and couldn't get my phone to sit up by itself.

It seems like it's running too lean and burning out, but I've got the needles where it says to put them and it looks like plenty of smoke is coming out. Next time I'm going to run it way rich and see what happens.

I really want to have it broken in by ircha so I could hopefully have somebody help me tune it or at least make sure it's ok.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

broke the piston um... arm? shaft? this thing:

Old 07-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #123 (permalink)

Too lean

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: SPAM
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok well good news. I already had a spare piston and rod that the previous owner of the first motor sent me with it. The piston ring and sleeve actually look fine so I'm going to reuse them.

I noticed the starter shaft had a little play up and down. It was like that brand new so I thought it was ok but I decided to try and fix it anyway. I used the washer from the old burned motor, so now it's using 2 washers instead of 1 and there is no play.

Anyway, I have the spare piston installed and it feels nice and smooth. I put the plug in and it feels like compression is ok. : So fingers crossed this will work.

Could anything cause it to run lean other than needle settings? Should I try removing the filter? I could put it on the pump line instead.

edit: double washers won't work because now the clutch fan rubs the top of the shroud.

Last edited by ultrataco; 07-09-2017 at 07:02 PM..
ultrataco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #125 (permalink)

Was it making lots of smoke when you flew it?

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: SPAM
Old 07-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighcopter View Post
Was it making lots of smoke when you flew it?
I thought it was but then I'm not around any other nitro helis ever to compare to. I watched a video of the NX4 recently and it had more smoke than mine. I've reset the needles back to what the manual says, including the extra half turn for break-in. I really wanted to start it up but it was getting dark and I don't think the neighbors would like all the noise and smoke.

btw I "fixed" the gov. I'm in the middle of writing that post now.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: SPAM
ultrataco is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 08:52 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. I was wrong about my gov settings. I have normal at idle-to-2000 (I'll explain below), IU1 at 2400 and IU2 at 2600.

2. None of that mattered because the gov was not turned on.

A while back I had an issue with the channel assignments in the Brain. Well one thing I forgot about when I fixed it was how I had banks set up. (with throttle position or flight modes, don't remember now).

Bank 1 had gov turned off because that was my normal mode. Then it was supposed to switch to IU2/Bank 2 w/ gov on and IU2/Bank 3 w/gov on. But after I fixed the channels it wasn't setup that way anymore.

So anyway, now I have only bank 1 and gov on. My "normal" mode is still 15-20-30-30-30 like before but now the gov will kick in at 25% throttle and go to 2000rpm. Hopefully that will be ok.

I'm going to double check the needle settings tonight and try to fly it tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've never had the governor engage reliably at low values. It needs to see at least 50% of the target to engage. See attached.

You might need to increase the 30% to 40%.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gov.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	715068  
Dawiev is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawiev View Post
I've never had the governor engage reliably at low values. It needs to see at least 50% of the target to engage. See attached.

You might need to increase the 30% to 40%.
It was engaging at 25% in the Brain software. My normal mode throttle curve is 15-20-30-30-30 but actually I don't care if it engages in normal mode anyway because it's just for spooling up a little bit. IU 1 is at 60% and IU2 is 85%.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey bud why dont you hold out until the Sunday before Ircha. Come out on Sunday and I'll try to help you get setup? I'd hate to see something go awry again. And I'm not saying that if I'm there we will be immune to it, but I think having more eyes on it will help.
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgymr View Post
Hey bud why dont you hold out until the Sunday before Ircha. Come out on Sunday and I'll try to help you get setup? I'd hate to see something go awry again. And I'm not saying that if I'm there we will be immune to it, but I think having more eyes on it will help.
Thanks but I won't be able to make it out to IRCHA until Friday. Maybe Friday or Saturday if you're around?

When double checking the needles last night, it occurred to me that I may have done a quarter turn when I should have done a half turn. I think that is why it was lean. I'm pretty sure they are set correctly now.

I will probably order a spare piston, ring, rod, and maybe sleeve just in case.

It's kind of windy today (10+ mph) but I will try to get out and test it. At least hover in my yard (sorry, neighbors). And I will try to get video.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:10 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'll be there all week. Let's plan on meeting on Friday. By the way I'm ordering from RCJ today, if you need parts let me know.
bgymr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool.

I can get O.S.37 parts from tower hobbies (and possibly other places) but I don't know how the price+shipping compares.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:59 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well it took longer than I hoped, but today I finally got out with the rebuilt engine, reset needles, and working gov. I only did one flight, but everything seems to be working finally.

At first it wouldn't start and I was worried maybe my spare piston was no good or something. After trying a few things with no luck, I increased my idle (TH) throttle to 20% and it fired up and held idle.

I even managed to get a video. It's not very good but at least you can hear the heli and that's mostly what I cared about. It's a terrible angle because I set my phone on the ground leaning on the starter and the ground is curved so you can't see the heli until it lifts off. The first 7-8 seconds are at idle (throttle hold/normal mode low stick). Then the gov kicks in and spools up to 2000 for a few seconds. Then I flip to IU1 (2400). At about 2:20 I flip to IU2 (2600) and about a minute later I turn back to IU1.

Gaui NX4 first flight after engine rebuild. (4 min 51 sec)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:01 AM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Be careful with KST servos...

The servo was installed as tail servo. It failed after about 50 flights...

See here:
KST BLS505X Brushless Servo Fail (0 min 27 sec)

I see that you are useng KST servos. Be only carefull about it. I used KST BLS505X as tail servo and it failed after about 50 flights.
I would go there with Futaba S9257 or Futaba BLS257...

I used some KST microservo (KST DS215) as tail servo for MiniProtos and another one as thtorrle servo for a gasser and both failed as well.
The one in MiniProtos after about 300 flights and the one on the 600 size Zenoah gasser throttle after about 30 flights (gasser vibrates more)...

Just my 02.
SlezY83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got in 2 more uneventful flights today. I would have done another flight or 2 but it was too windy to be much fun and I was hungry.

I turned both needles a bit more rich just to be safe. I stayed mostly in IU1 but flew about half of the second flight in IU2 and it did fine.

It took a while to get it started at first, I guess because I hadn't flown for a week.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:34 PM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think I can finally declare this build complete, just in time for IRCHA. I got 4 flights on it today with no issues (other than finding a loose screw I apparently forgot to loctite ). I was still trying to be gentle but I started pushing it a little more each flight. I did some flips and rolls, some faster flying, a loop and even some slow, easy, rainbow-ish tic-tocs.

Well, maybe the engine could use a bit of tuning (and/or the gov), but it's fine for me for now.

The last very minor issue I had to fix was the ball screws on the throttle and tail servo horns rubbing on the canopy (so I have not been using it). I cut a couple small holes in the canopy so the screw heads would clear and it's all good.

My last flight of the day was my first time flying with the canopy on. It definitely helped visibility. The light was perfect, wind was not too bad, and I was getting comfortable so it was a very fun flight.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170731_183534346_HDR[1].jpg
Views:	1299
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	717576  
Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #138 (permalink)

It's about ****ing time. Well done.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: SPAM
Old 10-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Where is the best place to purchase, the engines and supplies?
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2017, 05:27 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasond1979 View Post
Where is the best place to purchase, the engines and supplies?
I got the kit direct from gaui:
NX4 Series | Product Categories | TSH GAUI

I got the new engine from rcjapan.net:
MAX-37SZ-H RING (20M) [OS-14000] - 16,405 : Welcome to RCJapan

I can't remember where I got all the other stuff. I know I got some parts from anythingheli.com and other stuff from places like amain, helidirect, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.