Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2017, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default EC8 connectors?

There's been a space in the market for a reasonably priced high amp gendered connector for a while now, looks like the market finally responded.

From what I can figure out somebody in china made these, right now they sell for around $4-$5 per set but I'm sure HK will have them cheaper soon enough.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	q.c.0086.jpg
Views:	2131
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	691526  
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

whats the amp ratings on this ones , looks as you have the housing throw the wire before soldering , and maybe the hole is for easier soldering
Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Looks like a few places sell EC8.. In the US, you can get 2 pair at LowerHeil for $9!

http://www.lowerheli.com/lower-rc-ec...ctors-2-pairs/

Walkera 4#3B, 4G6
Align 250SE, Gaui 200
Tarot 450PRO
Align 550L Dominator
Steve Joblin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like EC style connectors, I have not had and trouble with them. I have been going back and forth on which connector to use for super high current application. I want idiot-proof, like EC5.

I have now ordered Castle 6.5mm connectors, hopefully I will like them. 8mm even sound a bit to much, but it's very nice we now have an 8mm fully keyed connector.
Only the ground is the limit!
LinusLarsson is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
Looks like a few places sell EC8.. In the US, you can get 2 pair at LowerHeil for $9!

http://www.lowerheli.com/lower-rc-ec...ctors-2-pairs/

Look closer, The housings are genderless. Also you can get that connector much cheaper at HK just look up "HXT 8mm", they all come from the same factory in china and are variously labeled as PRC8 or HXT 8mm and probably some other names too. They're of the same family as the 4mm "HXT4" plugs that used to come on a lot of HK batteries. I don't know if they have a real official name for that plug family, so many names are used for them that it's hard to tell.

EC8's have the females on one side and the males on the other and have specific ESC and battery side housings that are keyed so they can only be inserted one way.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusLarsson View Post
I like EC style connectors, I have not had and trouble with them. I have been going back and forth on which connector to use for super high current application. I want idiot-proof, like EC5.

I have now ordered Castle 6.5mm connectors, hopefully I will like them. 8mm even sound a bit to much, but it's very nice we now have an 8mm fully keyed connector.
I wonder why there is no low price gendered connector in 6mm yet, that's another open space in the market that nobody has filled yet. It seems like it would be simple for Amass to just release an alternate housing for the XT150 bullets.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I personally can't abide the Castle 6.5 connectors. I love their ESCs but the connectors suck. you have to spend way to much time fiddling with the "procedure" they suggest to snug them in, connect disconnect them....I mean don't we have enough to think about without dicking around with a connector. Not to mention the leads are far to close together for my comfort. I don't care about your terms for conductivity and you used to use wax paper between your wires and you never had any problems....If you look at one of those connectors the metal between the two leads is so close you'd need a micrometer to measure it. As opposed to EC 5s where there is a logical distance between conductivity. XT 90s are fairly decent. Just stay away from the Castles. Unless you like to waste time bending tiny metal connectors back and forth. EC 5s should work for most apps.
Hughes Helicopters is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't imagine many users requiring 8mm bullet connectors.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think an ec4 sized between the 3 and 5 would be a good seller.
FNFAL is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
I think an ec4 sized between the 3 and 5 would be a good seller.
That's called an XT90.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes Helicopters View Post
I personally can't abide the Castle 6.5 connectors. I love their ESCs but the connectors suck. you have to spend way to much time fiddling with the "procedure" they suggest to snug them in, connect disconnect them....I mean don't we have enough to think about without dicking around with a connector. Not to mention the leads are far to close together for my comfort. I don't care about your terms for conductivity and you used to use wax paper between your wires and you never had any problems....If you look at one of those connectors the metal between the two leads is so close you'd need a micrometer to measure it. As opposed to EC 5s where there is a logical distance between conductivity. XT 90s are fairly decent. Just stay away from the Castles. Unless you like to waste time bending tiny metal connectors back and forth. EC 5s should work for most apps.
Yeah, I read this about them. Taking a shot anyway, I didn't invest up over the ears in connectors. EC5 is just not applicable for my use case, speed heli. The R5 easily pulls 120A on the straights, and the inside of the fuse is hot. I need to upgrade.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, I read this about them. Taking a shot anyway, I didn't invest up over the ears in connectors. EC5 is just not applicable for my use case, speed heli. The R5 easily pulls 120A on the straights, and the inside of the fuse is hot. I need to upgrade.
RC Proplus Pro D6 might fit the bill. The Pro D6 are technically genderless however you can set them up with the male bullets on the ESC side and the females on the battery side which makes them polarity protected and gendered - sort of.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1788
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	691768   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_1.jpg
Views:	1700
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	691769  
Old 01-30-2017, 02:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
RC Proplus Pro D6 might fit the bill. The Pro D6 are technically genderless however you can set them up with the male bullets on the ESC side and the females on the battery side which makes them polarity protected and gendered - sort of.
Yeah, of course I have checked them out too. But there isn't a way too build them 100% bullet proof, is there?
Old 01-30-2017, 03:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Stuck with the same problem as Linus, speed helicopters and minimum space on the inside of fuselages, so I went with bullets. RCProplus 8mm bullets fit the bill perfectly. Easy to solder and super easy to wire up so that they fit inside the tight fuselages.

http://www.rcproplus.com/webe/html/p...num=54&kind=53
Old hand at Planks
Vinger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I've been using them for years w/o issue. Just build the adjustment tool and use a lubricant on the contacts. Once properly adjusted they do not require frequent readjustment.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, of course I have checked them out too. But there isn't a way too build them 100% bullet proof, is there?
Not that I'm aware of.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

You'd think that Amass or sombody would have seen the demand for a reasonably priced "foolproof" 6mm connector and filled that space in the market. It seems like such an obvious thing, just scale up the EC5 to 6mm and yet nobody has done it yet.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yay, scale up EC5, then they'll be an even bigger pain
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post
Yay, scale up EC5, then they'll be an even bigger pain
Why do you say that? Just use open solder cups like the new ones HK recently started selling.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just can't stand EC.
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in