Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Night Flying

Night Flying Night Flying Helis Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking for a little help with LEDs

Looking for a little help with LED strips... its not going on a helicopter, but i thought i would still ask for help.

This is on an older car running a 6v battery, so maybe up to 9v when running.

I will be running about 30" of red off one power.

And 2 36" strips of white and 2 48" strips of white off another power.

Do i need resistors? Will i need 5 resistors or 2?

Thanks guys.

Please dumb it down for me!
CompleteDestruction is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The light strips I have used already have resistors installed which are designed for a 12v supply. I have run a white resistor strip off a 2s lipo (7.5-8.4v) and it worked fine, though dimmer than they are at 12v. I'm not sure the other colors would work like that, you'd have to try them. If the voltage applied to the LED does not exceed the forward voltage it requires they won't light at all. Different colors have different forward voltages. You may find that 6v doesn't light them, but 9v does. I don't know if you can buy light strips designed for a 6v input or not. If you use individual LEDs, then you'll need to insert a resistor in the circuit to limit the current. Since resistors are made over a wide range of resistance values there's no need to put in multiples. There are LED resistor calculators which you can find on the internet which make it easy to determine the correct resistance, and 6v is certainly enough to drive all the LED colors.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

FWIW
The charging system on your 6V car should be running at ~7 volts.
If these are the premade strips made for 12 V which on a car really means they were made for 14 Volts. It is pot luck as to wether they will light at 6-7 volts. Even if they do light up they will be a lot dimmer than they were at 12V.

On most of the non waterproof light strips, you can take the resistors off and replace them with the correct value for your application. You could either remove and replace them or piggy back another resistor on top of the ones that are there. Either way will work and get you the full brightness that the strips were designed for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in