Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > OpenTX Radios

OpenTX Radios OpenTX Radios Discussion and Support Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2016, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Please share any fun "Horus Pwnage" stories!

So for folks a little older than me. To PWN, or "p-own" something is to beat it viciously, or to show up to the point of shameing something.

I know by now, that just like showing up at the heli field with a brand new Oxy, TDR, or Diablo, or something equally unexpected, you turn heads and get bombarded with questions...

I'd love to hear about the in-knowing folks reactions to seeing the Horus up close and personal.

My Jeti still turns heads pretty regular... but flying a known bnf Spektrum with it blows minds. (Even other Jeti owners minds)

I was such a fan of the Horus, I really think it will be fun to hear what:

A Spektrum only guy thinks.
A Futaba only guy feels.
Or some of the many others.
gunny_jeeves is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I can't believe you don't own one yet.

Jeti guys reaction - Nice, but not as nice as my Jeti.

Other guys - What is that? I explain. They're interested. Mostly the stuff they like is the stuff that their older TX's don't support like telemetry and voice alerts. I helped convert one Spektrum user who is in love with it and there's another who is very interested when he gets a spare paycheck.

With crappy winter weather here and the fact that mine didn't get upgraded to full release version until mid November, I haven't had a lot of chances to show off the non-beta version.

I'm also really anxious to get companion working for it. Hopefully soon. I'm too spoiled by it.

Right now I'm working on getting a Spirit FBL system up and running with it. I'm very excited to see the LUA integration.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I'm a Spektrum guy who sold it all off and replaced with Horus. Zero previous experience with FrSky or OpenTX. I'm running FrOS on it now. I really like the radio and am loving the reasonably priced telemetry option it provides. I'm an though a bit surprised (the activity level in this thread is a good example) with the lack of user feedback, but I suppose it will develop with time. For now I'm reading as much as I can and scouring YouTube as I try to get up to speed.
in2deep is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2017, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
I can't believe you don't own one yet.

Jeti guys reaction - Nice, but not as nice as my Jeti.

Other guys - What is that? I explain. They're interested. Mostly the stuff they like is the stuff that their older TX's don't support like telemetry and voice alerts. I helped convert one Spektrum user who is in love with it and there's another who is very interested when he gets a spare paycheck.

With crappy winter weather here and the fact that mine didn't get upgraded to full release version until mid November, I haven't had a lot of chances to show off the non-beta version.

I'm also really anxious to get companion working for it. Hopefully soon. I'm too spoiled by it.

Right now I'm working on getting a Spirit FBL system up and running with it. I'm very excited to see the LUA integration.
Yeah I think you nailed it. Horus vs Jeti? It doesn't win but it's like the only TX that won't be shamefully butt hurt by the comparison. (Which is still saying a lot for a $500 TX up against a $1200 TX that kinda embarrasses a $3000 Futaba.)

IMHO - The Horus is the TX that will put the old guard on notice. It is as revolutionary as it is amazing. Never discount having a module bay as you can pop in a $30 module and fly Spektrum (or any other protocol you like) on your same TX. Jeti can't even do that without something like Raleighcopters module bay.

Add to that the Spirit FBL integration and you're on more and more even ground with Jeti. (There's no reason the Jeti integrated stuff, Turbine controllers, FBL's could not all use similar pathways in the future)

When the rubber meets the road, the reality is that those pathways don't even exist on other protocols by other manufacturers.

I figure these situations where other TX's get dominated when compared next to a Horus in the field are going to grow.

Upload a few songs, play music through the TX, and set up an automated hard deck on a heli... Then take a few minutes to show that at your field and see the reception you get.

Enjoy! And hopefully share some of those stories.
gunny_jeeves is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, I used to be a Spektrum only guy until I got the Horus. I only use the FrOS for now but its still pretty dang functional. Don't plan on selling my Spektrum stuff since I'm kind of a collector but the Horus is much better feel wise than any Spektrum I've held (DX7, DX6 2014, DX7 gen 2, DX8, DX9).

Finish wise, Spektrum's plastic molding is cleaner than FrSky's but the overall quality is very good anyway. Gimbals are far nicer on the Horus as well. The only thing I don't like about them is that there is a very slight ping whenever the sticks exceeds 70% deflection if you run low tension. Can't feel it though.

Some of my other favorite things about the Horus are the super cheap receivers, and the telemetry. The telemetry is much more functional than the Spektrum telemetry and the receivers are all 25-31 dollars. Nice and cheap.

I'm probably going to add a Jeti to my collection sometime soon to see what the hoopla is all about, but the Horus is definitely a keeper. Its a great package even if you aren't into the OpenTX and all the crazy stuff it is capable of.
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 04:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just held one of these radios in my hands and it felt so good that I am thinking of getting one but am hesitant for one simple reason.....is it reliable signal wise??? I would be flying all my heli's with it including my Protos max v2 recently upgraded to an Evoluzione! I would be using a X frsky receiver. My question is....is it as reliable as my DX7Gen2 transmitter running dsmx? I have had nothing but reliable performance from that transmitter and also from my older Airtronics sd10g fhss3 radio. Can I expect rock solid performance from the Horus? Also what is the latency and resolution with the Xfrsky receivers and the Horus? Those are my questions and my reasons for being hesitant on purchasing based just on looks, features and feel.
Rush fan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

The reliability is awesome. Plus you get feedback on when your signal is getting weak either for bad antenna placement or failing hardware.

Other people can chime in on resolution and latency. I know that the Horus has better and supposedly faster hardware than the Taranis. People do quad racing with that one which requires crazy fast response times.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush fan View Post
I just held one of these radios in my hands and it felt so good that I am thinking of getting one but am hesitant for one simple reason.....is it reliable signal wise??? I would be flying all my heli's with it including my Protos max v2 recently upgraded to an Evoluzione! I would be using a X frsky receiver. My question is....is it as reliable as my DX7Gen2 transmitter running dsmx? I have had nothing but reliable performance from that transmitter and also from my older Airtronics sd10g fhss3 radio. Can I expect rock solid performance from the Horus? Also what is the latency and resolution with the Xfrsky receivers and the Horus? Those are my questions and my reasons for being hesitant on purchasing based just on looks, features and feel.
Yes, FrSky's ACCST protocol is very well proven. But you are asking in the wrong place. The Taranis and OpenTX activity here at HF is almost non-existent. Go over to RCGroups radios forum and check out the various monster threads for Taranis, Horus (and now the Taranis QX7).
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still a little unsure about this particular Frsky transmitter but will check out and ask questions on Rc groups.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

This radio is much more reliable than any spectrum radio i've used and if something is wrong you know right away. I had three models go in this last year with my dx8g2. I sold it right after my black nitro went down and went back to my radiolink at9 ( great radio for 90$) for a while until the horus was available.

I'm running the frsky software for now. Two days of playing with it from spectrum and similar systems and I'm able to do crazy logical switch functions a spectrum wouldn't dream about. Plus changing songs by tilting the radio, making my own tracks to play headspeeds and funny messages, real model photos, and high quality feel. Everything about this radio is amazing and for the price is incredible.
V-bar Control
Trex-Twizzle is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trex-Twizzle View Post
This radio is much more reliable than any spectrum radio i've used and if something is wrong you know right away. I had three models go in this last year with my dx8g2. I sold it right after my black nitro went down and went back to my radiolink at9 ( great radio for 90$) for a while until the horus was available.

I'm running the frsky software for now. Two days of playing with it from spectrum and similar systems and I'm able to do crazy logical switch functions a spectrum wouldn't dream about. Plus changing songs by tilting the radio, making my own tracks to play headspeeds and funny messages, real model photos, and high quality feel. Everything about this radio is amazing and for the price is incredible.
HI bud......so all the failsafe and crappy range issues have been sorted? That's what has me nervous on the purchase. I think if I were to buy it I would use the x8 receiver with a standard receiver hook up to a vbar. Someone mentioned range issues due to sbus connection??? Don't understand that but I'm guessing half the stuff people complain about are bogus. Also, where do you guys recommend purchasing this radio in the U.S.? I can get it from Hobby KIng U.S.A. Warehouse or Aloft hobbies. Aloft is 50 bucks more but I heard the customer service is good, although I tried speaking with someone ther today and they did not answer.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Had failsafes when I first got my Horus. They released a few module firmwares and I haven't seen any issues in several months. People on rcgroups also stopped seeing failsafes. The link is now solid.
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighcopter View Post
Had failsafes when I first got my Horus. They released a few module firmwares and I haven't seen any issues in several months. People on rcgroups also stopped seeing failsafes. The link is now solid.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wayne's "The Man!"

Quote:
... Also, where do you guys recommend purchasing this radio in the U.S.? I can get it from Hobby KIng U.S.A. Warehouse or Aloft hobbies. ...
Aloft all the way!

Quote:
... I heard the customer service is good, although I tried speaking with someone ther today and they did not answer.
Today they received a large shipment from FrSky which included a bunch of the hot new Taranis QX7 and Hall Effect Gimbals - They were swamped!

I've placed 24 orders with them since Nov 2013. Every order shipped the same or next day and arrived in less than 3 days (but I'm only 700 miles from them). I had to return items twice - never a problem. I bought my first Taranis from HobbyKing but that was before I knew about Aloft. (I now have 4 Tarani! - spares for my spares...)

Highly recommended (once again - ask the folks on RCG and you will find virtually unanimous agreement). They are an authorized service/repair center and their main man, Wayne, is himself a very active in RC (sailplanes mostly). Their customer service is... outstanding!

I placed an order for gimbals this morning. They shipped it this afternoon!
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

I ordered from them last Tuesday afternoon, least expensive shipping. It arrived on the opposite coast on Thursday.
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I bought the Horus with 3 X receivers! Will update firmware to the latest one when I receive it and will be testing on a foamy first to make sure all is well range wise then will add to my 500 heli and if all goes well will be flying all my helis with it. Let's hope I made the right choice with this purchase
Old 01-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ive had great luck with mine so far. No issues, using 2x X6R on my 700 Helis, 1x X8R on my 800 AP heli and an XR4SB on the race quad i built. Using SBUS on everything.
Still learning the radio and hardware here as i recently swapped from Spektrum but to date totally happy and boy do i like not getting taken to the cleaners with receivers and then having to by TM1000 units to get telemetry.... $30ish bucks, whatever sensors i want and viola, in business. Im happy with my decision.
Tim
TimBaconHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2017, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBaconHeli View Post
Ive had great luck with mine so far. No issues, using 2x X6R on my 700 Helis, 1x X8R on my 800 AP heli and an XR4SB on the race quad i built. Using SBUS on everything.
Still learning the radio and hardware here as i recently swapped from Spektrum but to date totally happy and boy do i like not getting taken to the cleaners with receivers and then having to by TM1000 units to get telemetry.... $30ish bucks, whatever sensors i want and viola, in business. Im happy with my decision.
Tim
Hey man that's great to hear. Been flying Spektrum so long it really is a daunting process going to a new system. Was looking at a Jr xg14 which I know would have been bulletproof but decided to take a chance. If it wouldn't have been for that plane guy at my field showing me the Horus and me falling in love with the feel of it I don't think I would have bought it. I know the Taranis guys swear by their radios which I heard had teething problems when they first came out. I think this Horus will be a phenomenal transmitter.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey man that's great to hear. Been flying Spektrum so long it really is a daunting process going to a new system. Was looking at a Jr xg14 which I know would have been bulletproof but decided to take a chance. If it wouldn't have been for that plane guy at my field showing me the Horus and me falling in love with the feel of it I don't think I would have bought it. I know the Taranis guys swear by their radios which I heard had teething problems when they first came out. I think this Horus will be a phenomenal transmitter.
Good choice. I fly a Max v2 with mine too and I have absolute confidence in it. You're probably aware of this from rcg but just make sure you make sure you're running the latest firmware and everything should be good to go.

Last edited by Yfbb; 02-01-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Yfbb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

On another note, i also love how easy it is to modify the transmitter to your specific needs, i have a different external antenna on the way for use doing some fpv a little further out. I get to just thread it on, no holes to drill like would have been needed on my Spektrum etc. Then there are modules you can get for just about any protocol without having to physically modify the transmitter.
I totally am not ripping on Spektrum at all, its good gear, i still have a radio for bind and fly stuff until i get the DSMX module, but it just got to the point where it wasn't doing what i needed anymore.

On a note to the OP and what the thread is about, i dont have any stories yet but..... Considering as far as i can tell, everyone at the field i go to uses Spektrum im sure this spring ill turn some heads and get bombarded with questions. It seems like it wasent that long ago my LHS was helping me program my Blade BNF helis into my DX6i, now ill show up with something completely different and hopefully turn a few pilots to the dark side...
TimBaconHeli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in