120s swashplate fix - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > 120 SR

120 SR Blade (eFlite) 120 SR Helicopters Information and Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default 120s swashplate fix

So I personally have had major problems with my 120s swash separating. Even with it snapped in place it was causing major problems making it seem like it needed another trim flight. I have read other posts with complaints on this so I hope this helps. With the swash plate off of the heli I flipped it over and you will notice a sharp rim of plastic that snaps inside the bearing. The plastic protrudes from the bearing ever so slightly, taking my very small flat head screwdriver I pressed on the rim just hard enough to put an indent in the plastic over the metal bearing. Doing this about 8 times evenly around. Since doing this I have had a very stable and happy 120s. Even after a couple of collisions with the walls and furniture. I will try to get some pictures up loaded tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	697954  
Old 03-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

One more picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	697955  
Old 03-09-2017, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Funny how Blade quality seems to get worse over time. Never had that issue with my 120sr purchased in late 2011 or early 2012 that was horribly abused by myself and my son while still in the early crashing stages.

Still works fine to this day cept I robbed the main shaft bearings out of it to put in my 180. Not surprising that those used bearings have already lasted twice as long in the 180 as its original bearings did.

Not sure if they're trying to keep cost down as time goes by or trying to sell more overpriced parts. My guess is the latter Maybe I just got lucky with my 120sr and got a really good one

Anyways, nice job finding a fix
Old 03-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Funny how Blade quality seems to get worse over time. Never had that issue with my 120sr purchased in late 2011 or early 2012 that was horribly abused by myself and my son while still in the early crashing stages.

Still works fine to this day cept I robbed the main shaft bearings out of it to put in my 180. Not surprising that those used bearings have already lasted twice as long in the 180 as its original bearings did.

Not sure if they're trying to keep cost down as time goes by or trying to sell more overpriced parts. My guess is the latter Maybe I just got lucky with my 120sr and got a really good one

Anyways, nice job finding a fix
My 120sr was a tank. Probably one of the best Helicopters to learn on.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool fix Db!!! I wonder if this will put more stress on other parts like main grips etc? Probably not on this bird.
jamdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

learnedthehardway, not sure if this qualifies as low quality ... it seems to me that the swash plate is designed to come apart like that in a crash. At least in the 120S it only ever comes apart when I crash hitting the main rotor blades against something. Did think of glueing the two parts together (although Dbcopper78's way is much nicer, but hadn't read this then). Decided against it because I can't imagine this to be something other than a crash protection feature.
sixtyfive is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2017, 07:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

don't get glue in the bearings lol that would be bad.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here in Germany you can get a CNC'd aluminum swash plate, not sure where you would find it in the US but it must be available there, too. Link for Germany: http://www.helishop-berlin.de/RC-Hel...120S012&p=6197
sixtyfive is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have broken the balls off the swashplate to servo links twice now. This last time I thought I was being very careful. I today ordered supposedly the same Microheli MH-120SR012 CNC Swashplate: Blade 120 SR as the above link from Ebay for $22.10 shipped. I will report back when I get it if same.
donpechumer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

I received the Microheli MH-120SR012 CNC aluminum swashplate that I ordered from Ebay and it works OK. The bearing seemed rough so I added a drop of sewing machine oil. The ball links are permanently attached (via pressing over like a rivet the inside end) whereas the link above clearly shows threaded on ball links.

It has the Microheli label and part number - maybe a design change.
donpechumer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.