Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Mikado Logo Helicopters

Mikado Logo Helicopters Mikado Logo Helicopters Discussion

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think to a certain extent, every blade is some factor of handmade. Photos were posted of the molds. I don't know the specific details of how the prototypes were made, but it just seems natural to me that in as high risk environment as our hobby is, that more than one prototype pair would have been made.

Amain Hobbies Team Rep
rcflyerheli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudaboy_71 View Post
Ok. There must be more conversation going on somewhere other than here. I was just going by his statement of “a washer over the tail shaft”. I took that to mean the spacer that has been eliminated in the redesign.

Sorry if I’m getting the discussion off track.
FYI see this thread and, in particular, this post that gives you links to other discussions. I did both mods (shimming the tail shaft and using different spacers than stock in the tail grips) and never had a problem in more than 270 flights. First batch kit.
3Dmuse is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyerheli View Post
I think to a certain extent, every blade is some factor of handmade. Photos were posted of the molds. I don't know the specific details of how the prototypes were made, but it just seems natural to me that in as high risk environment as our hobby is, that more than one prototype pair would have been made.

Go ahead and whip a few sets together and get them shipped out to the pilots.
mc20piece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 AM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bill kept me updated on the blades during their creation. It's not something you "whip together" and ship out.

It's labor intensive, you'll end up with lots of waste material, have to scrap things if they don't work out as planned. I remember that getting to the point where Bill finished the one set I flew, the investment made was about $30,000, with the one set of blades alone being worth about $4,000, considering prototypes made before that, material used, energy required and all the hours of labor.

Now imagine you make 10 sets for testing and have to change anything because a flaw is discovered during testing. Would you rather have a damage of $4,000 for one set or $40,000 for 10?
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow, learning that I really wouldn't wanna be 'that guy'
Laughingstill likes this.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any new developments?
mmgbrouwers is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

Financially speaking, all VTX Designs projects were put on hold earlier this year due to requirements of cash flow being allocated to other projects the parent company is involved with. The projects will be picked up again but uncertain exactly when.
MikadoUSA is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 11:25 AM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lets hope they recoup enough to and keep up production of the current line of blades that we all enjoy already.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
Bill kept me updated on the blades during their creation. It's not something you "whip together" and ship out.

It's labor intensive, you'll end up with lots of waste material, have to scrap things if they don't work out as planned. I remember that getting to the point where Bill finished the one set I flew, the investment made was about $30,000, with the one set of blades alone being worth about $4,000, considering prototypes made before that, material used, energy required and all the hours of labor.

Now imagine you make 10 sets for testing and have to change anything because a flaw is discovered during testing. Would you rather have a damage of $4,000 for one set or $40,000 for 10?

You completely missed the sarcasm in my post
mc20piece is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bill here.

The tail blades do have promise for sure. The VTX107 prototype performed amazing when operated inside its envelope. It didn't do so well at elevated speeds - which load up the tail system much more and push the blade beyond its aero envelope. This produces a bad interaction between tail blade aerodynamics and VBAR control logic.

There will need to be a tweak to the airfoil, as well as to the blade tip shape to fix the high speed response. I warned about the first prototype set coming apart at head speeds above 2000 rpm. Of course, they were spun up well above that (not by Johnny - he did just fine), which did reveal compressibility issues (as predicted). Unfortunately, I wasn't present when the adverse response was observed, so a good deal of my feedback here is nothing short of guess work.

I hope y'all have taken note of how much space has been given in the "aero engineering" thread talking about issues associated with high mach aerodynamics ... and here we have yet another example of that monster rearing its head. I think I pushed just a little too far with this prototype design. Doing upwards ot M.65 with a blade chord of around 1/2" is simply ridiculous. The VTX107 as designed would suit 90-95% of the flyers out there perfectly, if RPM is kept under control.

So now its back to financial thrust. The tail blade project will require another set of tooling to be modeled, CNC'd, polished, fixtured and jigged. Then all the time to hand lay-up a single blade set. Its my own process - admittedly this is the first time I've ever built anything like this.

The skins are actually done in a miniature autoclave process, to squeeze every .001 gram of weight out, and to ensure perfect geometry with very high interlaminar compression in the mold. The results are stunning, but massively time consuming. In this first prototype set, I had issues with blade weights not exactly matching so in the lighter blade a small steel plug was potted in to balance it out. And of course, the weight got spit out when RPM was pushed too high.

Anyway, that's where we are at this time. Project on hold.
VTX Designs is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #151 (permalink)
Registered Users

It is great to see someone push forward RC helicopter aerodynamics.
落琅heli is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in