Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Velos Rotors > VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter

VelosUAV - UAV Helicopter VelosUAV Discussion

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
I love the spayer set up and the skids. Very nice. I didn't know the 3 blade head was available.
Thanks! Just adding another talent to the Velos 880. Its a very versatile machine.
Fly it for work on the week days and then fly it for fun on the week ends...I could get into that.

Sorry but the 3 bladed head is only available on the Velos UAV, it I not an 880 add on. Mine is just a test bed for the work I am doing to prove the system and concept out.

Still waiting on an ESC from Castle so I can take it out and try position hold using the SK900 while spraying the exterior of my house.
Looks to be a great system.
Checking system operation on the ground it works very well. Somehow it can pick up position in my house and display the helicopters position accurately.
I can walk the helicopter around inside the house and my wife sitting at the ground station in my office can tell me what room I am in just from looking at Google Earth which is part of the ground station...how crazy is that!
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #102 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Sorry but the 3 bladed head is only available on the Velos UAV, it I not an 880 add on. Mine is just a test bed for the work I am doing to prove the system and concept out."

Oki Doki...Buy the UAV when available, take the head, blades and swash outa teH box, throw the rest away. GOT IT.....
Velos 880/Sab Urukay, KSE, Carbon Speed/Mikado Uvular/RCA Blackshark/Chaos 500 Evo, 550, 600, 700/Trex 500, 600, 600 Pro, 700/Roban 470 Cobra, 700 Apache, Cobra, 429, Jayhawk, 800 Airwolf/TFM 800 Blue Thunder, Seahawk, Jayhawk/ DX8 DX18QQ
treotraveler is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
"Sorry but the 3 bladed head is only available on the Velos UAV, it I not an 880 add on. Mine is just a test bed for the work I am doing to prove the system and concept out."

Oki Doki...Buy the UAV when available, take the head, blades and swash outa teH box, throw the rest away. GOT IT.....
That would be a pretty pricy conversion. I don't even have the new blades, again a UAV item, but I fly the stock 880 feathers.

I am still struggling with my ESC issue.
The new unit finally came in and it refuses to identify the low throttle end point when setting up the throttle.

It finds the high throttle end point but not the low.
This is in "External Governor" mode on the ESC.

The ESC finds both high and low throttle end points in "Airplane" and "Helicopter" mode in the ESC but not "External Governor" which is what I fly.

Edit: As always it was an issue with me...not the equipment. Because I had a legitimate issue with the previous ESC I had gone through the entire throttle rigging process for trouble shooting.
I didn't reset the throttle end points in the Skookum user interface before setting the end points when I installed the replacement ESC...couldn't see the forest for the trees

A big thank you to one of the guys over on the Castle forum for pointing out the error I had committed.
Its getting help like that when we have issues that makes Helifreak a great place to interact and figure it out.

Of course now its raining...my punishment for being a dumb a**.

Last edited by A VIKING; 10-29-2017 at 08:03 AM..
A VIKING is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Waiting on weather and time.

Well...my weekend didn't turn out as planned. My area was to have partly sunny sky's today but instead we have fog and mist.
Not good for trying out "Position Hold" flight for the first time.

So not to waste the day I did what I always do when I can't fly and that would be to build something new.
In this case I replaced the aluminum tube gear you can see in previous photos with a new set of gear that is wider and much higher.
The new gear is more suited to UAV operations and what I have in mind when actually putting the Velos to work. I can operate out of grass now which will be a big benefit.

The whole assembly remains very light to include the rope deployment rack in these photos and the spray boom for cleaning exterior walls, roofs and store fronts to name a few.

Waiting on weather to break to fly the big machine and capture more video as it progresses and evolves to a complete useful working machine.

The new gear will allow more tools to be carried for work solutions.

Very excited....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7876.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	727996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7872.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	727997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7888.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	727998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7891.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	727999  
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #105 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Revised Landing Gear

Aris made a comment about my first tube gear in that it may get caught or snag in the grass on takeoff. After taking a hard look at it myself...I agree.

So out came my tube cutter and bender to get rid of the "feet" I had bent into the first landing gear.
Once I cut off the feet I re-bent the tubes to have a slight downward direction. This will allow them to lift out of grass more easily. When using the Velos to clean the exteriors of buildings, I'll be operating from grass very often so this would be important.

Side benefit...I like the look better.

Still working out some details with the auto pilot...winters coming on so the only thing I'll be able to do for the rest of the year is to choreograph flight for the work intended...and wait for spring!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Velos New Gear 1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	729335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos New Gear 2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	729336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos New Gear 3.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	729337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velos New Gear 4.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	729338  
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default I put a little Spring in my step.

I like the new aluminum tube gear legs. They are light and strong but are not to flexible in allowing other than a perfectly soft touchdown during landing...especially on concrete or blacktop.

I came up with a version of a shock strut or oleo strut without the "o" that should do a good job for me and my 22 pound Velos 880 UAV.

See the photos:
The shock strut consists of two steel spacers separated by a section of silicone tubing which slides inside the gear leg.
The upper steel spacer is stationary and holds the weight of the Velos.
It is up against the curve of the landing gear leg which can easily hold the weight of the Velos or the shock of a poor landing.
The upper steel spacer is held in place during flight by a set screw.

The whole shock strut is held together by a center shaft and end screw, a yellow drinking straw takes up a little slop between the steel spacers and center shaft and also allows a slick surface for the assembly to slide on.
During compression the center shaft is allowed to extend up into the gear leg.
It works well and provides just the right amount of cushion for the big Velos.
Rubber feet will be placed on the ends.
In experimenting I discovered that I can alter the cushion by punching small holes in the silicone tubing to allow easier compression.

I will also be aware of possible ground resonance but don't think that will be a factor. If it should ever occur I would quickly increase collective to fly out of the condition and land in the grass.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7929.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	729604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7933.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	729605  
Velos Rotors likes this.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Shock struts installed

Finished installing the shock struts to my Velos gear legs.
On my first pick up and set down by hand holding I was rewarded by a nice comfortable soft deceleration coming in contact with the ground.
No more sharp jolt into the airframe that I would feel every time I set it down.

So I'll give this modification as it was very beneficial for me to create.

Using the silicone tubing as the shock absorber works much better than an undampened steel coil spring. The silicone has none of the quick rebound, bouncy, springy tendencies that the coil spring has and its very easy to adjust the cushion.

Given the silicone tubing is captured inside the aluminum gear leg and also supported by the aluminum center shaft, it can only compress so much before it fills the free area inside the leg.

Cushion can be adjusted using this system in two ways.
You can increase the length of the silicone tubing or cut holes in the tubing to allow an easier compression.
I couldn't increase the length of the silicone because of the knee bend in the gear leg. I only had so much dimension to work with. To allow a longer piece of silicone to be used I would have to bend up yet another set of gear and since this was my third iteration of the landing gear, I wimped out and just worked with what I had.
I didn't feel that adding any holes would be beneficial for me so my silicone tubing is unmodified.

As it turns out it was perfect for me. I have about 1 inch of stroke in the strut before I contact the rubber end cap and with the full weight of the Velos on the gear I have about a quarter of an inch in available compression for a harder landing hit. It should be just right.
The silicone gets harder and harder as it compresses so I get a nice gradual slowing in acceleration on touchdown.

Anyway, that's that. I feel like I really did a good thing for my Velos and its new UAV aluminum tube landing gear. Its strong yet forgiving to land on.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7939.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	729684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7943.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	729685  
Velos Rotors likes this.

Last edited by A VIKING; 11-24-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Old 11-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #108 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes sir you sure did do a good job with it all
Right On Man
Falung_69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falung_69 View Post
Yes sir you sure did do a good job with it all
Right On Man
Thanks Clark!
I appreciate your comments.
Yes it has been a great adventure which has just taken off...no pun intended.

As you know it all started with me wondering how much weight the Velos 880 could lift, then doing the long line experiments...the rest as they say is history.
Its a steady progression of building one idea with another into something useful and amazing.

I see the future and I like it.
I have a lot of commercial and residential buildings to clean...then I build new ideas from there.

Again, I appreciate your comments and input Clark.
As you see I have little input coming from the others in my posts.
It would be fun to discuss more ideas from others on utilization.

I would love to be known by people in my area as "that guy with the helicopter" who can do what we need done.

Together we could create an even brighter UAS/UAV future.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:15 AM   #110 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow. It looks awesome! How long did it take to reach this stage?
__________________________________________________ __
Marius from Cargolution
Marius Titulescu is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #111 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Titulescu View Post
Wow. It looks awesome! How long did it take to reach this stage?
__________________________________________________ __
Marius from Cargolution
This forum thread started at the end of March this year with an experiment in creating a useable cargo hook with release for lifting weight.

The cargo hook led to the swing arm for releasing rope over high tree branches to remove them.

The swing arm led to the addition of the spray boom for exterior cleaning of structures and insecticide spraying.

The spray boom led to adding the SK900 to make all of the above jobs easier to fly.

The addition of the SK900 will probably lead to the addition of a camera as the height of my cleaning will increase but my visual orientation will be reduced because of that height. Up to 40 or 50 feet is no problem, above that I could use a visual aid such as the camera to let me know where I am exactly.

It's just been a steady progression of ideas. The realization of one idea opens the door to another idea and into the future we go. Lots of fun.

I have high hopes in creating a retirement business from the structure cleaning aspect of my experiments with the Velos.
Its fast, simple, relatively safe using Velos redundancy, I wouldn't try it with another airframe, and its entertaining.

It's a little confusing for the FAA in regulation as I am technically tethered to the ground by my supply hose doing that kind of work so will there be any regulation from the FAA for this?
I really don't think so but time will tell. Its the same process for the FAA in creating regulation concerning UAVs as it is for us in creating new ideas in their application.
One thing leads to another...its all new territory to explore for everyone.

Last edited by A VIKING; 12-14-2017 at 07:59 AM..
Old 12-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

2017 was an exciting year and 2018 promises to be even better!
Here's to all on having a spectacular 2018 in all that you endeavor.

I'll be back on line after the holidays to continue my exploration with the fabulous Velos...and looking forward to where it will bring me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #113 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Looking forward to the new year!

Been working through some auto pilot issues so no flying has been done.

While I had the time I did a little modification to my spray boom to make it more secure while mounted on the Velos and also easy to remove to do hand spraying.
It's simple with the spray boom being mounted in a split rubber hose which grips the spray boom securely and to that I added a couple rubber O-rings to put a squeeze on the attachment hose to further secure the spray boom.

I did the same thing for the forward end connection for the spray boom.
The spray boom can be removed and installed on the Velos with no tools.
The spray boom support rack now has a safety pin securing it to the bottom bracket so now I can unpin and swing the support rack out of the way much easier to remove and install the canopy.

I also found some larger rubber caps to fit over the shock struts I created earlier, they should work very well.

Hope to be flying soon! 2018 should be a great year!
Until then we are starting a new flying season...change your Velcro straps, your old ones from last year need a rest.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8098.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	735326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8087.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	735327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8094.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	735328   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8097.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	735329  

Last edited by A VIKING; 01-21-2018 at 09:50 AM..
Old 01-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #114 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New FBL Mount Idea

My SK900 is due delivery today so I am very excited about that. Looking forward to getting back in the air to learn more of what I have to learn to take me down this path.

We have always looked for that magic mounting system for our FBLs.
One that would dampen out unwanted frequency that blinds the ability of the FBL to "see" clearly. But one that does not hide the useful frequencies of our dynamic components so we can gage health of the components and do maintenance like balancing those dynamic components.

So let me throw one more experimental FBL mounting system into the mix.
It involves a Scotch product I found in the local hardware store in the Velcro section, but it is not Velcro.
It is a type of fastener, but not like you are probably used to. This product has plastic interlocking fingers that provide the grip instead of the hook and fuzz normally used.

This design of fastener is very stiff when snapped together, not like the hook and fuzz type which can allow a lot of movement between the two parts it is stuck to which could never be used as a FBL mount.

My idea is this.
Given there is no movement between the two fastening parts when they are snapped together and given you can see daylight between the two fastening parts when snapped together when held up to the light while looking through the edge, wouldn't it be feasible to think vibrations would be dampened out trying to pass through the fastener on their way to the FBL?

It may have better dampening tendencies than a foam or rubber mount.
I will find out.
Am I worried the FBL will move during flight...no...the mount is very secure.
I am using 3M double sided tape applied to the fastener's sticky mounting tape to attach it to the carbon fiber airframe mount and the bottom of the FBL.

Should be interesting, I'll let everyone know by looking at my vibration charts if it is a benefit or not.
Stay tuned.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8102.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	735820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8105.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	735821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8107.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	735822  
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 AM   #115 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default No noticeable change.

Just a note to the above snap together fastening strips by Scotch. I didn't notice any change in vibration level when flying my Velos 880.

I guess the good news "is" nothing changed.
I only had a vibe score of .5 -.7 so I really didn't have anything to clean up anyway.
Flight was smooth and predictable with no odd fuselage movement which would indicate the snap together mount for the FBL was not allowing any movement of the FBL in flight.

My shock struts are working very well with a nice soft touchdown with no ground resonance tendencies so I will definitely keep them. Much nicer than landing on a stiff leg, especially on a hard surface like black top or concrete.

I did remove the larger rubber caps I used for landing gear leg feet. They were heavy and that weight out at the end of the long gear leg allowed them to vibrate in harmonics which was unattractive in flight. I kept the original smaller lighter rubber caps in place and the vibrating tendencies went away.

Now that I am back in the air again I will continue exploring "position hold" with the SK900.
The entire system including the ground station is up and running perfectly so I am looking forward to more flights to see the benefit of position hold when spraying homes and commercial buildings with cleaning solution and insecticide.

The all important videos will be created, should be a fun year.
I know many of you have flown GPS assisted flight before but this is my first venture into the technology and I want to give it purpose in my application of the Velos spray platform.

Right now I am waiting on flyable weather to proceed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_8110.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	736099  

Last edited by A VIKING; 01-29-2018 at 07:38 AM..
Old 02-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Position Hold flights begin.

Was able to get in my first position hold flights this week end.
The first time I threw the switch on my TX to put the Velos and SK900 in position hold I didn't know what to expect.
Would it suddenly flip over and crash to the ground...would I lose control...nope, after I threw the switch the big Velos just stared back at me.
It didn't make any sudden moves like I thought it would in making the transition, it just sat there as if nothing happened.
At first I thought nothing happened then with some stick movement on the TX I realized it was in position hold.

Did a few more shake down flights to allow myself to get used to the idea and make some small adjustments to the SK900.
I am telling you it was all I could do to drop the TX sticks on the first flight and let the SK900 fly the Velos on its own.
After having a death grip on the TX sticks for years, it was very unnatural to let go.

So my first impressions after only a few flights which were in windy gusty conditions...I am impressed and looking forward to using my new found friend in position hold to allow me to more easily do the work I have intended for my Velos which is to become an aerial cleaning machine.

Looking for warmer temps to do some video, should be entertaining.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #117 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default First Flight of the SK900

Finally got in the first practice flight with the SK900 in position hold while simulating spraying with my Velos 880.
It was a good flight but I need more practice with my interaction with the SK900 for slewing the models position.

It was an unusual first flight in that I had a hard time not trying to fly with the sticks...old habits I guess.

Looks like it will do the work for me...I just need more practice.

SK900 First Flight (4 min 22 sec)
Old 02-23-2018, 05:55 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

Additional increases in gain with the SK900 really tightened up position hold for me, very excited to see the results.

A big change is in motion for my project which will have a positive impact for future development and performance.

I will be off line for about a month or so while this change is built and I take delivery.
Until then....
Old 03-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

What Change
Come on
Enquiring Minds Want To Know
Falung_69 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2018, 07:36 AM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falung_69 View Post
What Change
Come on
Enquiring Minds Want To Know
Hello my friend!

You know I am a huge fan of Velos Rotors and what the Velos 880 and Velos UAV represent for the future.
So it won't be a surprise to see my next single rotor acquisition to advance my dreams, the Velos UAV.

For me it's a step in the right direction after experiencing the Velos 880 and what it can do.
With my current plan of using Velos as a spray platform for cleaning building exteriors, roofs and spraying insecticide on ornamental trees, the Velos UAV is more adaptive.

The large cargo rail on the belly is ready for whatever I want to mount there be it a new version of my spray boom or any other equipment my mind will dream up in the future and trust me I am an avid dreamer.

The larger fuselage interior can house more equipment and batteries which will allow longer flight times on the job.
...and to me its just drop dead gorgeous.

So these things take time.
Once the new model is built by Velos and I take delivery, I will be looking to redesign my spray boom setup for the cargo rail.
Then add a video setup to allow me to see my target spray area better at higher elevations.

Then lots of flight time with photo ops and video.
Should be a great summer!

As the old saying goes..."When one door closes, another door opens."
But in my case with Velos 880 and Velos UAV it can be said..."When one door opens, other doors will open, just keep walking forward."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Velos UAV 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	739031  

Last edited by A VIKING; 03-04-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in