Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX8Gen2 Telemetry low voltage voice warning

I'm running a Dx8G2 with an Ikon2 and a Castle Creations Edge 50 Phoenix with the SPM4649T Rx.

I'm able to see flight pack voltage and I'm also able to have it give me voice announcements of it every 5/10/30/60 seconds. But ideally, I'd only like to have the receiver tell me what the voltage is after it drops below a certain level.
I've set the min voltage to be 21.5 (6S, 1450mAh pack) and set the Warning to 5 seconds, but it never alerts me when it drops below that voltage.

My understanding is that it should say "Warning Flight Pack voltage XX.X volts", every 5 secs once it drops below 21.5 volts.

Am I missing something here?
dsevern is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

*bump*
Anyone?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. I haven't set up any alarms in the telemetry so I don't think I can help you a whole lot. Hopefully someone who has spent more time with it can add their input.

The only piece of advice I can offer is to ensure you're on the latest version of firmware for the transmitter. There have been instances of bugs in the telemetry in very specific situations. I checked the release notes and didn't see anything specific to the flight pack voltage, but it still wouldn't hurt to be on the latest version.
flightengr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsevern View Post
I'm running a Dx8G2 with an Ikon2 and a Castle Creations Edge 50 Phoenix with the SPM4649T Rx.

I'm able to see flight pack voltage and I'm also able to have it give me voice announcements of it every 5/10/30/60 seconds. But ideally, I'd only like to have the receiver tell me what the voltage is after it drops below a certain level.
I've set the min voltage to be 21.5 (6S, 1450mAh pack) and set the Warning to 5 seconds, but it never alerts me when it drops below that voltage.

My understanding is that it should say "Warning Flight Pack voltage XX.X volts", every 5 secs once it drops below 21.5 volts.

Did you change the "Alarm" column on the right side of the screen from INH to voice, vibe or anything else after you set the min voltage to 21.5 on the left column? You must scroll over to that column and activate it after setting the 21.5 value as all of the alarms are defaulted to inhibited from the factory.

Then you can activate the warning callouts for whatever time interval you wish, but nothing will happen if you dont turn on the actual alarm function above it first.

It sounds like you currently have the status report activated and calling out the voltage at a set time interval now which is not what you want. Its the warning report you need.

Last edited by Xrayted; 03-31-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep. I set the Warning status from INH to 5seconds.

It doesn't seem to call out the voltage once it drops below the set value.

As you mentioned it does call out Status voltages on the set interval.

Guess I need to call Spektrum Support. Thx.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yep. I set the Warning status from INH to 5seconds.

It doesn't seem to call out the voltage once it drops below the set value.

As you mentioned it does call out Status voltages on the set interval.

Guess I need to call Spektrum Support. Thx.
But once again, did you activate the actual alarm in the alarm column first? Turning on the warning report is not the activation of the alarm, so turning it on alone will do nothing! There are 3 different columns and activations in the menu you must address to accomplish what you wish to do, and it appears that you may be skipping the part where you turn the alarm on

1) Set the voltage value
2) Activate the actual alarm for that voltage
3) Activate the warning reports frequency

This is the column where you activate the actual alarm for the value you just set and choose what type of alarm you want, voice/vibe etc. Only then is your alarm activated to warn you once the voltage hits your set threshold.

What is your actual alarm set to do once the voltage falls below the set level? Did you choose voice, vibe or both? Your alarm is not active if you haven't made any of these choices yet.

The status reports work because this function is not an alarm and works independent of any alarm activation. Status reports are not part of the alarm setup

This is where the alarm is activated:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	701176  

Last edited by Xrayted; 04-01-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Xrayted is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yep. I have Alarm set to Voice and then at the bottom I have
Warning Reports: 5 sec

But when the battery drops below the voltage minimum, I don't get any voice alert.
I get voice Statuses at the specified intervals, though.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yep. I have Alarm set to Voice and then at the bottom I have
Warning Reports: 5 sec

But when the battery drops below the voltage minimum, I don't get any voice alert.
I get voice Statuses at the specified intervals, though.
OK, that is strange then. I have seen others with similar issues in the past that turned out to be one of the volume settings so the voice wasn't being heard, but you can hear the status reports so that shouldn't be your problem unless the volume settings are different somehow.

Voice is voice as far as I recall, although there are a few different independent volume settings scattered throughout the menus so worth a shot just to be sure, or try setting the alarm to vibe and see if anything changes
Old 04-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks Tony!

I'll give that a shot.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Low voltage alarms are broken in this Airware update. The new update is due to be released anytime soon.

There is a workaround if you're interested, but if not a critical issue, maybe worth waiting for the proper fix, though.

Carlos
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZorzella View Post
Low voltage alarms are broken in this Airware update. The new update is due to be released anytime soon.

There is a workaround if you're interested, but if not a critical issue, maybe worth waiting for the proper fix, though.

Carlos
Ah, so its a problem specific to the DX8. I wasn't aware there was an issue with that particular TX vs the others
Old 04-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX8Gen2 Telemetry low voltage voice warning

Nope.... the issue seems to be common and affects all radios with the latest Airware.

Please refer to the workaround at: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=44966

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I'm doing some testing on it right at this minute, actually, and it looks like there might be a work-around for the time being.

Start up your airplane as you normally would. Roll over to the Min/Max screen. Press CLEAR.

Now your voltage alarm should work properly. At least it is on my radios, but they have some other changes in them (none that would touch this, which is why I'm mentioning it here).

Andy
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine was working just fine in the past, however I haven't used the voltage as an alarm for a bit now because of constant false warnings every time I would push the model hard and dip the values.

I guess I was using it prior to updating my DX9s firmware because I had no issue prior. Good to know there is an issue with the current software.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in