Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > HobbyWing ESC's

HobbyWing ESC's HobbyWing ESC Support

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Ok I just discovered that it has an RPM signal output, it turns out the yellow wire is the RPM signal and the white wire is the brake. Hobbywing tech support apparently did not know this and thought that there was no RPM signal output. I did some testing on a lark and discovered this. They need to update their manual for the HV units or ship them with a manual addendum.
It is the same on the LV version, RPM out using the yellow wire there to (atleast on the 120a)
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2017, 02:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfauske View Post
It is the same on the LV version, RPM out using the yellow wire there to (atleast on the 120a)
Does it also have the single white wire? If so then it's following the signalling convention of the HVs with the white wire as brake and the yellow wire as RPM out.

So if it has a single yellow wire it is brake (as per the manual). But if it has a single white wire and single yellow wire then the yellow wire is RPM out and the white wire is brake (opposite what the manual you lead you to believe)

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-22-2017 at 02:26 AM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Asked hobbywing and what they said was this:
YES, It's correct, the yellow wires is also for RPM. But if you like to use the break function, you need to plug the wires into the vacant channel on receiver to start or power off the break function..
rfauske is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2017, 02:13 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfauske View Post
Asked hobbywing and what they said was this:
YES, It's correct, the yellow wires is also for RPM. But if you like to use the break function, you need to plug the wires into the vacant channel on receiver to start or power off the break function..
So what is the extra white wire for on the HV flyfun ESCs? I assumed the yellow wire was RPM and the white wire was brake.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Turns out the Flyfun V5 RPM signal out has problems like the Platinum V5, I solved it with this circuit:

EDIT: Updated resistor value and simplified circuit a bit

EDIT: Change that back to 1M. Turns out 1.5M is a little too high and can cause problems with RPM signal dropouts.

EDIT On some FBL units a NOT gate may work better, see this thread.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=791567

EDIT: I have determined that a NOT gate works better with the Flyfun V5 as well. I think there was still some signal instability with the open collector.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-22-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Turns out the Flyfun V5 RPM signal out has problems like the Platinum V5..
What FBL are you testing it with?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyhv View Post
What FBL are you testing it with?
3DIGI
Old 09-26-2017, 04:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, thanks. I know the Vortex needs the transistor mod as I had to do it but not sure about the Brain/iKon.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:59 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateyhv View Post
Ok, thanks. I know the Vortex needs the transistor mod as I had to do it but not sure about the Brain/iKon.
FYI I tried the open collector transistor and a Scorpion opto cable on the 3DIGI and they improved things but didn't actually fix it completely. The tail still twitched like mad just not as much. The NOT gate completely fixed it and the tail does not move at all in a hover now. It probably depends on how the FBL wires the RPM port, with the 3DIGI the RPM signal pin is tied directly to a port on the STM32 CPU through a 10k resistor (which is why it can only handle 3.3v)

With the iKon I believe that the RPM signal port power pin is connected to the servo power buss however I am not sure if the signal pin can accept 7.4v. I would assume it can but they may have assumed that any device hooked up to the RPM port will return a signal level of 5V maximum so I would check before using this circuit as the signal level will match the buss voltage.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well so far the 160A HV has been working great in my Rush 750. I eventually came up with a Schmitt trigger based signal adapter.

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...50#post7480090

Easier to make and I think it works slightly better than the transistor NOT gate (the RPM and throttle logs are less spikey under load). This should correct any potential problem an FBL system might have with the wonky Hobbywing RPM signal.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Looks like using the Flyfun on MSH Brain/iKon is even offically supported:

https://updatebrain.mshbrain.com/sof..._telemetry.pdf

"For Hobbywing FlyFun ESC, the yellow wire is RPM(to GOV port), white wire is the telemetric signal topin 5 of 4-5-6 conn."
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2021, 06:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

In reading the current online manual for the FlyFun ESC's, it appears that none of the Opto ESC's have the yellow wire for rpm input. Am I reading that correctly? Note 1 in 04 User guide, Section 1 connections, indicates that the 130A and 160A HV Opto don't have the yellow wire. Then in Sec 6-1, Brake type, it adds the 110A Opto as not having the wire. But of course, the picture of the Opto ESC's in Section 5-2 DOES show the wire.
Which is it? Does anyone have a recent opto, and is the yellow wire indeed removed? My earlier 130A opto has the yellow wire and is working flawlessly. I'd like to get another one, but would rather not have to mess with an external rpm sensor.
Cheers, Bob
robertmrankin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2021, 10:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Pretty sure it doesn’t help… but my FunFly 110A with a BEC does have the reverse/RPM wire
Old 07-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJW View Post
Pretty sure it doesn’t help… but my FunFly 110A with a BEC does have the reverse/RPM wire
It likely helps me - I'm going to give a FlyFun 110A with BEC a try in a 12S Goblin 570.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
Looks like using the Flyfun on MSH Brain/iKon is even offically supported:

https://updatebrain.mshbrain.com/sof..._telemetry.pdf

"For Hobbywing FlyFun ESC, the yellow wire is RPM(to GOV port), white wire is the telemetric signal topin 5 of 4-5-6 conn."
So the iKon works without the need to make that special circuit that Atomic Skull created?
TheKingPhisher is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

My Icons both work without AS's special circuit.

My early 130hv opto had the rpm wire, my recent 160hv opto required a HW Phase Sensor.

Cheers
Bob
TheKingPhisher likes this.
robertmrankin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in