Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 1 Post By Gladius
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 1 Post By dl5973
  • 1 Post By myxiplx
  • 1 Post By myxiplx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2017, 04:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Vortex Pico and Oxy 2 - a match made in heaven

Hey guys,

For any Vortex fans out there looking for a micro heli I can tell you that the VX1p and the Oxy2 are a superb combination.

I had my maiden flights on the Oxy2 last night, and this little heli is everything I'd hoped for. It's superbly built and flies incredibly well, it's got more in common with my Protos 380 than any micro I've ever flown. I was able to fly funnels and continuous flips indoors within just a couple of flights, something I've never been able to do reliably with my Trex 250 despite hundreds of flights on that.

It needed one single tuning flight where I increased my main and tail gains, and tweaked my roll rates and expo. I haven't bothered with any fine tuning, yet it'll fly proper knife edge funnels like it's on rails.

There's more detail on my maiden flights, plus the build quality in the thread below:
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=17

Myx
trillian likes this.
Other: Team rep for Lynx/Oxy, Founder of NightWave Systems
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is the combo I'd use. I'd like to pick up an Oxy2, but I already have several helis that still need to be built, including an Oxy3. Can't justify adding another one.
andione1983 likes this.
Gladius is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2017, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Hey guys,

For any Vortex fans out there looking for a micro heli I can tell you that the VX1p and the Oxy2 are a superb combination.

I had my maiden flights on the Oxy2 last night, and this little heli is everything I'd hoped for. It's superbly built and flies incredibly well, it's got more in common with my Protos 380 than any micro I've ever flown. I was able to fly funnels and continuous flips indoors within just a couple of flights, something I've never been able to do reliably with my Trex 250 despite hundreds of flights on that.

It needed one single tuning flight where I increased my main and tail gains, and tweaked my roll rates and expo. I haven't bothered with any fine tuning, yet it'll fly proper knife edge funnels like it's on rails.

There's more detail on my maiden flights, plus the build quality in the thread below:
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=17

Myx
Cool I have been waiting for a reliable micro heli for years

How does it compare to the blade 180cfx for size?
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2017, 04:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

It's a tiny bit bigger than the 180CFX, but I believe a lot heavier, it's a very solid design, I can't feel any flex in the airframe at all.

I know there have been photos posted of the Oxy2 next to a 180CFX, trying to find them for you.

For me personally I'm glad i held off and didn't buy a 180CFX, I can't fault the Oxy at all yet, and i much prefer belted tails on a micro, I've heard of nightmares servicing gears on the 130 and 180, a belted tail just seems much more forgiving on a model this size.
andione1983 likes this.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
It's a tiny bit bigger than the 180CFX, but I believe a lot heavier, it's a very solid design, I can't feel any flex in the airframe at all.

I know there have been photos posted of the Oxy2 next to a 180CFX, trying to find them for you.

For me personally I'm glad i held off and didn't buy a 180CFX, I can't fault the Oxy at all yet, and i much prefer belted tails on a micro, I've heard of nightmares servicing gears on the 130 and 180, a belted tail just seems much more forgiving on a model this size.
Yeah I have held off on every micro released to date.

My friend has a 180cfx and I flew it a few times and thought to myself not bad but don't want it.

As long as it can be flown in the same area as the 180cfx I'm sold.

The weight does not concern me, as long as it flies well, the tail holds and its reliable with no maintenance I'm in.

The biggest issues I have had with micros is the maintenance required, how wimpy they fly in terms of power, how flimsy they look and how badly their tails suck.
andione1983 likes this.
dl5973 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well I'm flying my Oxy2 with an old Trex 250 3400kV motor that's rated at 150W, and using a Talon 15 ESC. On that spec it will do flips, loops, rolls, hurricanes comfortably.

It does bog a little in tic-tocks, but i knew i was underpowering this model a little as i spec'd it. Heck, even the 3600kV Trex motor should be an improvement, my Trex 250 is a monster with that at 290g, and the Oxy is only a fraction heavier at 325g.

However, the recommended motor is the Lynx EOX 1611 5500kV 390W, paired with a 25-30A ESC. And at that spec it's not underpowered in any way, shape or form, it's a total monster!
Old 04-02-2017, 05:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oh, and the tail is utterly rock solid. Didn't need any corrections in funnels, totally locked in.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi,
I found now the Vortex Pico does have a governor.

Wanted to use the BL Heli governor in my Turnigy Plush (flashed) 30A in my OXY 2.

Do you use the governor of the Pico?
How does it work?
Easy to setup?

Very satisfied with BL-Heli governor functions, but open to new things - never used a FBL integrated ´governor so far.

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2017, 02:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Congradulations on your successful maiden myxiplx Glad you love the oxy2​ with the pico
It's great to read about the different flybarless Units being used in the oxy2
Old 04-16-2017, 03:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Walter
Myxiplx also wrote a governor guide...
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=723039
Old 04-16-2017, 04:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The Vortex governor works great, however on a small model with a powerful motor I've always found the difference between the two types undetectable in flight.

I prefer the Vortex governor a little as it's easier for me to set the headspeed in each flight mode, reprogramming a soldered on talon 15 to change headspeed is a pain.

If you want to have a go with a FBL governor, you won't be disappointed, just don't expect it to make a massive change to how the model flies :-)
andione1983 likes this.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK, thank you.

Then, as already written, I will use the BL-Heli governor TX in the beginning for my OXY 2 - since I have already setup the ESC with BL Heli Suite.
Always hard to learn new things...
(And to find the instructions )

Walter
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

BTW:
I apologize for asking all those stupid questions which are already answered somewhere in the net and I did not find.

Now I realize how it is "to skip" more than one year in the forums
Did not really follow the forums for more than one year.

The last thing I did was to build my fantastic 4s OXY 3 and 6s OXY 3 in spring/summer 2015... after that I did not mess around with my tons of 130x, mCPx, NanoCPs and all this stuff anymore.
Waiting urgently for the OXY 2 (announced for Christmas 2015 ) I skipped the 180cfx, a very good decision.
Being out of home nearly for a year since late summer 2015 (without helis), I only "flew", when I was at home. Flew a hell out of my OXY 3s, those fantastic helis, and did not have to repair or setup anything; sometimes flew my X3; that's all (totally unusual for a guy, who was used to fly and repair Blade micros ).

And now, spring 2017, finally the OXY 2 has arrived and I realize, I am totally outdated in knowledge (and forums).

Anyway, thx for support,

Walter
Old 04-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, no problem, asking is the quickest way to learn in this hobby, a lot of the subtle details often aren't written down anywhere.

And as you say, things can change quickly too :-)

Hope you like the Oxy2, I skipped the Oxy3 but it's been a long 18 months waiting for the 2 to arrive.

Happy to say it hasn't disappointed, it's an amazing little heli.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I skipped the Oxy3.
Big, big mistake
The best heli(s), I have ever had (and maybe ever seen).

I will love my OXY 2 for sure, do already love it (sits here without electronics and I hate our weather - cold, little rainy, stormy actually - because of our actual weather I probably won't be able to maiden it tomorrow. Hard winds are not the best circumstances to do maiden flights).

Walter
Old 04-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nah, anywhere here I could fly an Oxy3 I can fly my 450's. I saved my money for the Oxy2 which is perfect for winter flying in the gym, or in my garden in the summer :-)
Old 04-16-2017, 10:25 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

I prefer my OXY 3s to my X3 - and with the X3 I even had once people complaining about the "noise" (it is very silent belt driven, but doing loopings with highest rpm with the Gaui maybe sounds dangerous for some bathers... the OXYs sound less dangerous even at "hell speed").

But more related to the limited space my flying field on an island has; the 450 is already "little too large", the OXY 3s are perfect.

But I think I need an OXY 4....
Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have gone a few years without building a heli. Just pulled. The pin on an Oxy 2 from amain (on sale atm) I have a spartan vortex pico, leopard 3900kv, yep 18a, blue arrow servos ready to go in it one it gets here
can't wait to get onto another heli build, been out of the heli game for a while flying wings and quads...

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using Tapatalk
andione1983 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 01:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey, welcome to the club :-)

You're gonna love the Oxy2, best micro by a country mile.
andione1983 likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hey, welcome to the club :-)

You're gonna love the Oxy2, best micro by a country mile.
Hopefully the tail holds better than my 2 blade 180 cfx.s

Sent from my Mi Note 3 using Tapatalk
andione1983 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in