Close Call: Luck or Skill? - Page 3 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 05:51 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

All okay; he had a plastic cone
sdunne is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know the flying style and have seen the original video. Totally under control in my eyes. I have stood right next to said pilot during IRCHA night flights and I trust his skills enough to stand there. Personally I think he is way underrated for his skills.
Bavarian Demon Flight Team #HIGHONHELIS
DUCDOC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 11:01 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCDOC View Post
I know the flying style and have seen the original video. Totally under control in my eyes. I have stood right next to said pilot during IRCHA night flights and I trust his skills enough to stand there. Personally I think he is way underrated for his skills.
Agree. One of the best pilots in the world. And a very very smart guy.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

That was a little luck and skill. Id never fly like that. However as soon as the tail touched he hit throttle hold, likely held center pitch so it would not shoot off in a direction quickly. Noticed it coming at him slowly anyways and stepped back because its out of control at that point.

Im sure it made his heart race for a min but it was handled well considering what happened.

My opinion anyways.
Indokast is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

The fact that he is skilled I don't think is in question. The point is that people with high skills tend to cut it very close. A mechanical or electrical failure can happen and even to the very best a small lapse can happen and that's all it takes when flying that hard.

So again to the point. Even the very best pilot in the world will not be able to avoid being killed or severely injured by losing a 700 so close to him and it bouncing straight toward him. Even with the fastest reflexes he can't kill the momentum if he lost his controls and the heli is not responding to him anymore.

So it is each pilot's decision how hard and how close to fly. That's his integrity and life like any extreme sport. But it's also his responsibility to try to minimize potential damage to others if that happens.

To this particular post, to me it was luck that he was able to not get it slammed right into him. He had the skill to hit TH and try to kill the headspeed but there's so much he could do.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

At such point there is not much you can do anyway. Every of those situations is different. Turning the motor off is the first and only reaction and after that you have to see the angle of the machine and how you can ditch it.

Reaction was perfectly fine. Still simply lucky since if that would have been a few feet to the right at least parts would have hit him. So its a lot of luck you need in such situation.

What got me only is watching his hurricanes that close to the flight line on the left. Anyone who was in a close call situation may think different about whats cool and what is not. I remember one fun fly a few years back. I had that feeling and went flat to the ground - with a 700 in an inverted funnel high speed right where I was standing at head level. So that is not funny and skill should be used to avoid getting that close to the flight line. Flight line is what it is and should be respected regardless skill level.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadiscoil View Post
The fact that he is skilled I don't think is in question. The point is that people with high skills tend to cut it very close. A mechanical or electrical failure can happen and even to the very best a small lapse can happen and that's all it takes when flying that hard.
That's the main takeaway I got from the Roman incident. One person who was interviewed described him as an extreme pilot who liked to push the edge. To me, that sounded like he did risky stuff. He was very talented, too, and was a pilot for Team Align but, unfortunately, he paid the ultimate price and we will never know what actually happened.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 07:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Skills

Skills yes Brains... Who cares!
n8rloves2fly is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

If he would have had a rescue switch all would have been ok.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Very skilled. He hit hold quickly and kept the failure very contained. He also kept his composure through the failure.

Guy flys like Andrew Merlino. :-)
100% agree ots

Very skilled pilot.

matt blaisdell is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt blaisdell View Post
100% agree ots

Very skilled pilot.
Guess over the years I've had hundreds of torque tube failures and have tried my hand at a lot of failure scenarios. The skill was clear to me.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:23 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I would say luck and skills.

Now this pilot got skills crashing

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHQX4imnm8&t"]Chicken Wing VS Bobby's Car - Throwback from 2013 - YouTube[/ame]
Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emusp View Post
I would say luck and skills.

Now this pilot got skills crashing

Chicken Wing VS Bobby's Car - Throwback from 2013 - YouTube
Yeah, I'm curious about whether the same people who defended the crash in my OP are actually gonna defend this one as well? Because there absolutely is no way for either imo.

In my eyes, it was pure luck that the crash I opened this thread for didn't harm anyone. Sure, the pilot knows how to throw it down, but for running 2400ish rpm on a 700, he was way too close to himself and anyone else involved.

He then goes about hitting his tail and waiting over one second to cut power (normal human reaction time should be about 0.2-0.3s). Being so close, at such a high rpm and without a tail rotor should not be attempted to be saved, under no circumstances. Because you just can't. Drive it into the ground as soon as possible, with Fun-Key or Hawk blades you won't have to fear being hit by debris flying around either as those have a lead retention wire. A broken helicopter is replaceable. An arm, a leg, an eye, or in the worst case, your life, definitely is not.

Neither could I ever approve of the strong positive collective input right before it was about to hit the ground pirouetting, not with the rotor pointing towards people. The only thing stopping this helicopter was gravity combined with the presence of mother earth, if the helicopter was angled up just a tiny bit more, that final collective input would have potentially sent it high enough to go straight into someone's face.

Not cool, nothing to be proud of, rather ashaming in my eyes, which is why I opted to keep names out of this.

I'm glad the great majority of this thread agrees on this being luck though. On FB you get overrolled by butthurt fanboys who start crying the second you criticize a decent pilot and then go about trying to justify such a dangerous act as "skill".

Whatever. Still glad nobody got injured that day.
YouTube - AccuRC - Oblivion

Last edited by Johnny31297; 04-13-2017 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: hurricanes didn't cross the line from what i've seen in a second video.
Johnny31297 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 05:24 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Totally agree!
Oxy 2, Gaui X3 #1, Protos 380, Gaui X5, Synergy 766 Gasser, Assault 700
Oxy 2/X3/Protos 380/X5/766 Gas/Assault700 Consecutive Successful Flights (Current) = 21/25/35/137/110 (39)/60
Consecutive Successful Flights (Max) = 137
macdad is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 10:22 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

I know Ray/Chickenwing is somewhat of a "personality" in the heli world, but that dude is just dangerous. I've seen other crash videos of his with the same attitude. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was drunk in that video because he sure acted like it. I've seen some of his other videos where he's swilling a glass with a few fingers of something or other in it.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny31297 View Post
Yeah, I'm curious about whether the same people who defended the crash in my OP are actually gonna defend this one as well? Because there absolutely is no way for either imo.

In my eyes, it was pure luck that the crash I opened this thread for didn't harm anyone. Sure, the pilot knows how to throw it down, but for running 2400ish rpm on a 700, he was way too close to himself and anyone else involved. Just look at the hurricanes, those easily crossed the line he was standing on. Unacceptable in my opinion, see what Ingolf said about it in post #46.

He then goes about hitting his tail and waiting over one second to cut power (normal human reaction time should be about 0.2-0.3s). Being so close, at such a high rpm and without a tail rotor should not be attempted to be saved, under no circumstances. Because you just can't. Drive it into the ground as soon as possible, with Fun-Key or Hawk blades you won't have to fear being hit by debris flying around either as those have a lead retention wire. A broken helicopter is replaceable. An arm, a leg, an eye, or in the worst case, your life, definitely is not.

Neither could I ever approve of the strong positive collective input right before it was about to hit the ground pirouetting, not with the rotor pointing towards people. The only thing stopping this helicopter was gravity combined with the presence of mother earth, if the helicopter was angled up just a tiny bit more, that final collective input would have potentially sent it high enough to go straight into someone's face.

Not cool, nothing to be proud of, rather ashaming in my eyes, which is why I opted to keep names out of this.

I'm glad the great majority of this thread agrees on this being luck though. On FB you get overrolled by butthurt fanboys who start crying the second you criticize a decent pilot and then go about trying to justify such a dangerous act as "skill".

Whatever. Still glad nobody got injured that day.
100% agree with what you said Jonas. I'm a bit surprised actually.

Most guys your age have zero fear and don't believe they are mortal.(I know I thought that way at your age) You seem to have a firm grasp on reality regarding this pilots flying and the dangers involved.

You are wise beyond your years my friend.
seefest is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree with you Jonas.

But luck vs skill is the wrong question IMO; the right question is was the level of risk acceptable?

And my answer: no; he clearly has skills but with that high head-speed that close in there is very little time to react should anything unexpected happen.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

You should all take up knitting......of course the conversation would be how sharp the needles are and if pointed in the right direction could go though an eye and into your brain.

You ever notice you can undo your lap belt, open the door and hop out onto the freeway.

And those cars coming the other way ... wow I had one and then another and another pass me 6 feet away at 100mph closing speeds. Better stop driving.

Or maybe stuff your nose into a 110v wall socket? Better turn off the power.

Your conversations about the deadly RC helis are sad.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Really?

I really, really hope that you never have to face a situation where you injure yourself or others if you decide to fly too hard and have a failure or dumb thumb cause an incident.

It's all a matter of how hard and how close you decide to fly.

If you undo your lap belt and jump out the freeway that is just plain stupid. Same as not driving at all if you drive responsibly within posted speed limits and traffic laws. Or turning off power for willingly trying to get an electrical shock.

It's the same thing with helis. If you fly around with safety in mind you can fly hard and enjoy the flight. There is for me no need to pass inches away from your face just because you think you can. Same thing as if you cruise the neighborhood streets at 90mph in a Ferrari because you think it's so well made it's ok and you have the skills.

Now if you definitely want that, then so be it. Just be prepared for the consequences, but then do it faraway on a deserted big field where you can't injure anyone else. Of course you will also create an issue for everyone else in the hobby due to bad press on such an incident because no one says how cool and really a good learning experience RC helis are. But everyone will know if someone cuts their head off with a 700, right?

I think there is a line where one should stop for safety. Understand the risks and possibilities. Yes, RC helis, the bigger they are, the more dangerous they can be so knowing that helps the pilot take the proper safety measures. No one said don't fly anymore because RC helis are deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigoe View Post
You should all take up knitting......of course the conversation would be how sharp the needles are and if pointed in the right direction could go though an eye and into your brain.

You ever notice you can undo your lap belt, open the door and hop out onto the freeway.

And those cars coming the other way ... wow I had one and then another and another pass me 6 feet away at 100mph closing speeds. Better stop driving.

Or maybe stuff your nose into a 110v wall socket? Better turn off the power.

Your conversations about the deadly RC helis are sad.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqowen View Post
If he would have had a rescue switch all would have been ok.

or self level
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.