RCA says "Won't fit with Align PRO models". Wondering why? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Scale Helicopters > Mechanics

Mechanics Mechanics Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default RCA says "Won't fit with Align PRO models". Wondering why?

I've been poking around and evaluating options for my first larger scale build. Probably will be a 700-size Bell 206, AS350, or MD500.

A lot of the sub notes on RC Aerodyne's description stipulate that certain, if not most, of the fuselages will not work with the Pro models of 600e, and some 700e. Does anyone know specifically what prohibits the Pro from being viable in the larger scale fuselages? Align has so many sub models and iterations that it's hard to discern the differences.

There are some good deals occasionally on used 700e/EFL/Pro's, so I'm weighing the two options of either buying a used 600e or 700e for mechanics, or doing a ground-up build using the 600 Chaos frame that RCA recommends. I don't want to buy a used pod & boom, then find out it won't fit.

Thanks in advance.
WhopperChopper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's probably the motor that's in the way, because it's mounted on the top. There may be ways around it. Ask Don "Keyrigger", he'll know.
getsuyoubi is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I cant speak of the RC Aerodyne fuse as I have never seen an empty one but, a friend of mine has the super scale HH-60 Jayhawk and I am very impressed with the mechanics. The overall scale of the heli is very nice as well. That said, I can say that a Funkey fuse will take a 600 pro mechanics very easily without much fuss.

Ron
Old 04-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsuyoubi View Post
It's probably the motor that's in the way, because it's mounted on the top. There may be ways around it. Ask Don "Keyrigger", he'll know.
They said there was no way a Gaui X5 airframe would work for an Augusta 109, but we got it to work with a little ingenuity. I guess just about anything might fit with a mod or two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	703138  
WhopperChopper is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

Your limiting factor is not the frame but the height of the main mast. Most DFC designs are poorly suited to any scale helicopter as they have near zero clearance above the swash plate. The 600Pro will fit any 600 size helicopter body but you will need to build a platform for it to sit upon as the hardware that is supplied with most kits allows for very few variations from what they recommend. If you make up your own mounts, then anything is possible. I have put Blade 600's into Fun-Key body kits as they have a good amount of hardware available. The AS350 from Fun-Key made a great helicopter with an Align 600 EFL Pro and I know I was the first to do such an installation. Good luck with your build and have fun with it.

Don

PS: It's my avatar.
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 12:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Your limiting factor is not the frame but the height of the main mast. Most DFC designs are poorly suited to any scale helicopter as they have near zero clearance above the swash plate.
Not all the 600 PRO models were DFC.. The first PROs were flybar, then you had the 600 PRO EFL which was flybarless but used a conventional head.. only on later models did they go to DFC.

So if they are saying that it doesnt fit any Pro model there must be some other issue that makes them say it doesnt fit... That's not to say it cant be made to fit of course.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another thing to consider is that the PRO models have "slower" tail gear ratio.... this will pose an issue with multi blade heads and the tail authority.... unless... you swap out the front TT gear and the auto rotation gear with the ones from ESP model.

however... everything can be made to fit... with a little ingenuity and some duct tape...

gh
goodhunting is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2017, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

You are right about the tail gear ratio but that AS350 that I flew did so from 1250 to 1600 rpm and I seldom had any tail issues. It spent its last year flying at 1400 rpm. I never did change the tail blades out to better and wider units but with the 105mm KBDD blades, shortened from 110's, it handled just fine. I have rebuilt that chassis into a standard 600EFL Pro but with the higher speed gears from the older 550E. I might change it back as I don't feel the mesh is very good at all. The original 600EFL Pro shared the same main shaft as the 550E and that was perfect for the AS350. Take care.

Don

Last edited by Keyrigger; 04-14-2017 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: Got the rpm range wrong
Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is a three blade tail option for the 600 Pro now. That would go a long way to improving tail hold at lower headspeeds.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The 500E that I am building now will in the end get a 4 blade tail. The C model with 4 blade head that I fly now had tail issues even with the 600 nitro gears to speed up the tail I had to mix in a lot of tail pre comp in the vbar. I am now running 110mm blades.

Ron
Old 04-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

We are getting away from what this is about. When a distributor sets a limit on what they think will not work, they set themselves, and their potential customers, up for debate like this. They are far better off keeping their thoughts to themselves about it, provide guidance for the chassis they know works, and let the consumer decide whether or not a given chassis will work in that model. Remember, they want to sell their own chassis kits above all others and since they don't make a Pro type chassis, it is an extremely short list of helicopter chassis that don't work. Funny, it is the only one mentioned directly, isn't it?

Fun-Key didn't say a 600EFL Pro won't fit into the AS350 kit when I bought mine. I was also looking at the military kit from RCA at the same time but went with the Fun-Key for reasons related to the landing gear. I looked at the manual online to see what they recommended and decided that I could use the Pro for the power plant. The various versions of the DFC head (not the chassis) are what makes putting the head in either a scale position or hitting the doghouse once installed. The simple solution is to look at other build threads and see what that person used to get the head in either the scale position or high enough away from the body for it to operate properly. A long chassis like the Pro may not work as it sits for a scale cockpit installation but there are ways to shorten it so that a cockpit can be installed. I worked that out and it is there for all to see. The same solution can be applied to the nearly identically laid out RCA body kit. Hope this helps.

Don

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.