Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #261 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Boy View Post
Do you have a link to the Molex service bdade tool AS?

MB

It's the one 4 stroker bought for Molex SL terminals.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ervice%20grade

Probably not worth buying just for this but if you already have one then it's another RC related terminal you can crimp. The stripped conductor needs to be between 2mm - 02.2mm long any more and the tool will squash the insulation at the end. Then you just stick the wire in till the strands hit the stop and close the tool, makes a perfect crimp every time as long as you get the stripped conductor the right length. The results are MUCH better than either the Hozan-P706 or the Engineer PA-09 does with this terminal.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #262 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
It's the one 4 stroker bought for Molex SL terminals.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ervice%20grade

Probably not worth buying just for this but if you already have one then it's another RC related terminal you can crimp. The stripped conductor needs to be between 2mm - 02.2mm long any more and the tool will squash the insulation at the end. Then you just stick the wire in till the strands hit the stop and close the tool, makes a perfect crimp every time as long as you get the stripped conductor the right length. The results are MUCH better than either the Hozan-P706 or the Engineer PA-09 does with this terminal.

Nice tool, and yeah, sure, it's not cheap, but it's lot cheaper than the Dupont tools, unless you can find a used one. I have the HT-208A and it's a great tool, but not that cheap even second hand.

MB
Old 11-11-2019, 11:11 PM   #263 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have a crimper that I have pretty well dialed. Took me a bit to get dialed, but works great now.
Is there a good current source for good terminals and connectors.?
What brands are suggested?

Are there different ones for the bigger servo, esc wires?
I know I have 2 sizes in my crimper tool.

Team MasterCard. Team Kontronik.
smittylube is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 12:56 AM   #264 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I honestly can't remember if I posted this in this thread, but I happen to have the Molex SL tool in my kit of Molex crimpers...

For servo connectors, I prefer the PA-09 as the Molex really isn't designed for Dupont contacts but I'm curious to try the Hozan if I can find one reasonably priced somewhere.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #265 (permalink)
Registered Users

Back in the hobby after a year long sabbatical. I have been using the Hansen Deluxe style crimper tool and the PA-09 on the Hansen gold female terminals. The crimped connections turn out OK and none of my helicopters are falling off the sky, but now I have two of the "nicer" crimping tools; the Dupont/Berg HT 208 A and the HT 0095.

The question now is what type of connectors do I use with either one of these tools? Can I just use the Hansen gold connectors, or are there more optimal connectors? Of course, I need the connectors to fit within the standard servo connector plastic housing. I'll be using the 22 AWG Hansen Deluxe servo wire. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	825737  
Amain Field Representative
jhamel is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #266 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post

The question now is what type of connectors do I use with either one of these tools? Can I just use the Hansen gold connectors, or are there more optimal connectors? Of course, I need the connectors to fit within the standard servo connector plastic housing. I'll be using the 22 AWG Hansen Deluxe servo wire. Thanks in advance.

HT-95 will work fine with Hansen terminals. The HT-208 will need a shim washer on the terminal holder to use the Hansen terminals (there are some pictures of this further back in the thread). If you use genuine Mini-Pv terminals with the 208 it will of course work fine as-is. The shim washer can easily be taken out and put back as needed.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #267 (permalink)
Registered Users

I played with both tools (HT-95 and HT-208A) using the Hansen gold connectors and 22AWG servo wire. The HT-208A is more user friendly, but it is not the correct tool for the Hansen gold connectors (I'll have to see what you mean by using washers). The HT-95 is not as user friendly (compared to the HT-208A), but the crimps looked very professional when compared to either the PA-09 or the Hansen Deluxe crimping tool.

Three questions regarding the Mini-PV terminals.
1) How do you tell genuine vs. "imitation" Mini-PV terminals?
2) Can you provide weblinks to Mini-PV terminals?
3) Are genuine Mini-PV terminal 100% compatible with the pins used on FBL units and receivers in this hobby?

Thanks so much.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 PM   #268 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I played with both tools (HT-95 and HT-208A) using the Hansen gold connectors and 22AWG servo wire. The HT-208A is more user friendly, but it is not the correct tool for the Hansen gold connectors (I'll have to see what you mean by using washers). The HT-95 is not as user friendly (compared to the HT-208A), but the crimps looked very professional when compared to either the PA-09 or the Hansen Deluxe crimping tool.

Three questions regarding the Mini-PV terminals.
1) How do you tell genuine vs. "imitation" Mini-PV terminals?
2) Can you provide weblinks to Mini-PV terminals?
3) Are genuine Mini-PV terminal 100% compatible with the pins used on FBL units and receivers in this hobby?

Thanks so much.

You can get Amphenol Mini-Pv terminals from Digikey, they look different so there is no mixing them up. Nobody to my knowledge makes direct clones of Mini-PV terminals the "copies" all look like Hansen terminals, functionally similar but physically slightly different. The Amphenol Mini-PV terminals come in many plating thicknesses and insertion force variants which is why there are so many part numbers for seemingly identical terminals (they re not identical). Again there are posts on this earlier in this thread with which terminals you want and links to the parts on digikey.

With the HT 208 you just stick a washer under the terminal holder pin to space it by about 1mm so that the terminal is held over the die correctly and it works perfectly with the Hansen terminals. Without the shim the die will distort the connection box on the end of the terminal.

I suggest you read this thread front to back otherwise we're just reposting the same information over and over.

One trick you might try with the HT-95 is to lightly crimp the conductor first with the PA-09 in order to get all three wires lined up exactly in the terminals then finish them in the HT-95.

I do something similar with the HT-95 except I use the Hozan P706 to lightly precrimp the insulation then adjust it so all three terminals are lined up exactly the same. Takes longer but yields perfect results every time.

If you were crimping separate wires instead of ribbon wire this would not be an issue as having the wires lined up in the terminals exactly the same isn't important as long as they are within spec with individual separate wires where having one wire off by as little as .2mm can cause issues with a ribbon wire.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 11-13-2019 at 11:44 PM..
Old 11-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #269 (permalink)
Registered Users

JST-XH crimped with the Molex service tool for SL and Spox terminals:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JST-XH_01,jpg.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	826429   Click image for larger version

Name:	JST-XH_02,jpg.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	826431  
Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #270 (permalink)
Registered Users

My wife got me the Hozan P706 for Christmas (love you, babe!) and I just tried it out on my Oxy 5 build. I am super happy with it. It's not as nice as easy to use as the really expensive ones, but it does a really nice crimp.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:01 PM   #271 (permalink)

Default Berg HT102

I just got a Berg HT102, the crimper looks great, but I can't figure out how to get the handle to open (the yandle only moves about 1/2" (I have to disclose I had eye surgery this morning so my vision is horrible), anyone that has used one, where is the 'catch' to let it open up?
andydallas is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2020, 09:09 PM   #272 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best tool ever. Engineer PA. Was just doing some servo connectors
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15846701261062237547463502596478_1584670140721.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	848919  

Spartan VX1n/e, Frsky RX, RT Blades MKS/BK, Hobbywing
Danker16 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2020, 09:25 PM   #273 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danker16 View Post
Best tool ever. Engineer PA. Was just doing some servo connectors

That tool crimps the insulation incorrectly and also it does not crimp a bellmouth on the conductor crimp. It's good for everything BUT dupont (servo) terminals. For those the Hozan P706 is better because it has the round die that crimps the insulation the correct way (the insulation crimp is supposed to hug the wire bot be folded back down into it). In addition there is no need to worry about crimp height with 22-24 AWG wire on the conductor crimp you can just bear down on it and it will crimp it to the right height.

This is what the Hozan P706 does:

The bellmouth isn't quite as pretty as a crimp from the actual Dupont tooling but it's acceptable. And the crimp strength is comparable so this is about as good as it gets without an actual official Dupont/Berg hand tool.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #274 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
That tool crimps the insulation incorrectly and also it does not crimp a bellmouth on the conductor crimp. It's good for everything BUT dupont (servo) terminals. For those the Hozan P706 is better because it has the round die that crimps the insulation the correct way (the insulation crimp is supposed to hug the wire bot be folded back down into it). In addition there is no need to worry about crimp height with 22-24 AWG wire on the conductor crimp you can just bear down on it and it will crimp it to the right height.

This is what the Hozan P706 does:

The bellmouth isn't quite as pretty as a crimp from the actual Dupont tooling but it's acceptable. And the crimp strength is comparable so this is about as good as it gets without an actual official Dupont/Berg hand tool.
Those look pretty good. I have the HT-208A crimpers and the bellmouth they create isn't much better than those TBH.

MB
Old 03-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #275 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miracle Boy View Post
Those look pretty good. I have the HT-208A crimpers and the bellmouth they create isn't much better than those TBH.

MB

Here's some terminals crimped with the HT-95:

Old 02-19-2021, 05:10 PM   #276 (permalink)
Registered Users

My new favorite servo wire:

https://flightcomp.com/collections/w...rs-oem-quality

I rank this as #1 with the Radikal RC wire as #2 and the Hansen as #3. Imo the insulation on the Hansen wire is super flexible but easily damaged, the Radikal RC wire has stiff insulation that is much more abrasion resistant. This stuff is a good balance between the two. All three have the same strand count so it's just a matter of which insulation you prefer.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 02-20-2021 at 03:34 PM..
Old 02-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #277 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thereís only one number 1 wires.....itís the PowerBox wire line....
Revolectrix/MeanWell PS, DPL8, PL8, 2x XP10 and Bump Contr's.
Dansy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #278 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansy View Post
Thereís only one number 1 wires.....itís the PowerBox wire line....
Weblink?
Old 02-20-2021, 07:06 AM   #280 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Weblink?
I get it from Aeropandaís

https://www.aeropanda.com/collections/powerbox-systems

The have the
Premium Max for heavy servoís
Premium
Premium Micro

Itís very light, got heat protection to 80*C and the strand are smaller but in higher number then normal...resistance is very low...
Revolectrix/MeanWell PS, DPL8, PL8, 2x XP10 and Bump Contr's.
Dansy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in