Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
Yet the deluxe Hansen one used to be THE crimper to have. Everyone who had one loved it. If Hansen crimps were failing on even a semi-regular basis, we'd have been hearing about it all along. It didn't suddenly stop working well simply because something newer and, maybe, better came out.
They are not new, these tools (HT-0095, HT-0102, etc) date from at least the mid 70's and they are the actual official factory hand tooling for this terminal type designed by the company (Du Pont) that also designed this connector type.

The Hansen crimpers are a generic double D crimper that happens to crimp Mini-PV terminals well enough, but it does not crimp them as well as the actual official tooling does. You can easily yank the wire out of the crimp with needle nose pliers. Terminals crimped with the official factory tooling will hold until the wire breaks.

If is only now that it has been learned by the RC community what these connectors are called and what the official tooling for them is. It's actually pretty interesting that this has remained undiscovered in our community for decades. The threads I have posted here are to my knowledge the first time this information has appeared in an RC forum.

Quote:
Remember, slave labor in overseas sweatshops make these crimps.
Extensions and male to male jumpers might be made by hand however almost all servo leads are made on automated tooling not with hand crimpers. They have machines that strip and cut the wire off a spool and feed the terminals directly on the bandolier and spit out thousands of crimps per hour. The company making the servos just buys them in bulk from a third party source that makes them by the millions. That said, a lot of the Mini-PV crimps I have seen were made on generic tooling. However as has been stated earlier in this thread the JR / TYU type terminals which are actually designed for double D crimp dies seem to have become more common in recent years.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 06-20-2017 at 02:44 AM..
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 AM   #122 (permalink)
HF Support

I guess there are some hand crimping sweatshops. My wife's Thai friend came around whilst I was fiddling with servo leads - to my surprise she picked up the tools and spat out 3 perfectly formed crimps using my Hansen crimpers -,apparently that was a job she used to do in rural NE Thailand ...

I've bitten the bullet and ordered S/H HT-95 and HT-102 from Dakota electronics. Bit more $$ than I would have liked so I hope they're in good nick!
Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Automation is the reason the contacts are available on reels.
Ace Dude is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuriell View Post
I guess there are some hand crimping sweatshops. My wife's Thai friend came around whilst I was fiddling with servo leads - to my surprise she picked up the tools and spat out 3 perfectly formed crimps using my Hansen crimpers
Ah, so they can be done on the crappy ol' Hansens that are suddenly being poo pooed these days.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a very nice article:

http://tech.mattmillman.com/info/crimpconnectors/
Old 06-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

"she picked up the tools and spat out 3 perfectly formed crimps using my Hansen crimpers"

Well I would like to see her spit out 3 perfectly formed crimps using MY HANSEN HOBBIES DELUXE CRIMPER:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hansen.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	712289  
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ah, so they can be done on the crappy ol' Hansens that are suddenly being poo pooed these days.
Nobody said you couldn't, but they do not crimp as securely as with the official tooling. Unless it's one of the other 0.1 terminal types that actually is designed for double D crimpers of course. 99.9% of the time though what you get when you buy "servo pins" in Mini-PV terminals.

It would be nice if there was a source for small bulk quantities of the TYU type terminals and housings but there doesn't seem to be. MPI / Maxx Products is the only one selling them to hobbists and they're kind of expensive.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:13 AM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

If anyone is interested in genuine Mini-PV terminals:

Ultra-high spring force with 40μ gold plating: https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...7-1-ND/2665649

Ultra-high spring force tin plated (if you want some cheap ones for practice): https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...4-1-ND/2044035

Three position housing: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ds=65039-034LF

This page has a table showing part numbers for different spring insertion force and gold plating thicknesses:

http://www.amphenol-icc.com/media/wy...bwb_pv_wtb.pdf

For 1-20 contacts you are suppose to use "ultra high" spring force terminals.
jhamel likes this.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 06-24-2017 at 05:13 AM..
Old 06-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Official FCI Amphenol Mini-PV terminals crimped onto 22AWG wire. There's actually a problem here, it seems as though some 22AWG servo wire insulation is heavier than 22AWG and this causes problems with the insulation crimp.

I figured out a solution though, crimp the terminal with the HT-0073 first with the insulation lined up between the insulation and conductor crimps then crimp it again with the HT-0095. Results below:

Right two terminals were crimped in HT-0095, left three were crimped in HT-0073 first then crimped again in HT-0095. Note how the insulation crimp doesn't bulge or cut into the insulation.

I bought 50 gold terminals and 50 cheap tin plated ones to practice with first, good thing I did.

The official Mini-PV housings are much nicer than the knockoff ones, the pins fit into the housing with no up and down play or slop. Too bad the knockoff pins won't fit in the official housings.

Also notice how much larger the contact spring is on these terminals than it is on the knockoff ones.

I tested the pull out force with pliers and the amount of force needed to pull out the wire (it breaks off at the conductor crimp rather than pulls out) is about the same as what is required to break the strands.

EDIT: Alternate way if you struggle with getting the position consistent is to place the insulation against the end of the conductor crimp wings which will act as a wire stop (the insulation won't fit inside the conductor crimp). This is technically wrong but I don't see that it would make the crimp any less secure and it fits inside the housing just fine. If it doesn't want to go in grab the bottom edge of the insulation crimp on the terminal with your fingernail and coax it in

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-PV_official.jpg
Views:	1394
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	713686   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_ pv0005.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	713695  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 06-29-2017 at 10:18 PM..
Old 07-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #130 (permalink)
HF Support

Won't butting the insulation up against the conductor crimp predispose to it bunching up? - nowhere for it to expand to!

I found a copy of the HT-95 manual which makes for interesting reading
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HT95Man.pdf (91.6 KB, 369 views)
Old 07-05-2017, 04:33 AM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

I figured out why the insulation crimp was bulging with the official Mini-PV terminals on my HT-95, a screw at the top was slightly loose which allowed the dies to move slightly as it crimped. Tightened up that screw and now it's fine.

I just received the Hozen P-706 and while it crimps the insulation nicely the conductor crimp isn't nearly as secure as with the HT-95 and HT-104. However it is useful for pre crimping the insulation so that the wire is lined up properly in the terminal. Cut the terminal off with the bandolier attached and then line up the wire in the terminal while holding it by the bandolier and lightly precrimp the insulation. Then cut off the bandolier with a flush cutter and crimp in the HT-95 or HT-104.

EDIT: On a lark I counted the strands on the Hansen and Aloft hobbies 22AWG servo wire and both are 60 strands. The only difference seems to be the Hansen wire is bare copper and the Aloft wire is tin plated copper. I would now say that they are basically equivalent except that the Aloft wire is 75 cents per yard.

I wish I could find a source for the kind of wire that a lot of servo leads (e.g. KST) use, the insulation is a bit stiffer but also much tougher and heat resistant. The Hansen and Aloft insulation is softer and more flexible but also more easily damaged. When you put a braided covering on the Hansen wire and heat shrink the ends the braid forms impressions in the insulation jacket, with the KST type wire this does not happen.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-05-2017 at 11:54 PM..
Old 07-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just received some wire from Radical RC and I think I like it better than the Hansen wire. Both have a 60 strand conductor so there is no difference there but the Radical RC stuff has tougher albeit stiffer insulation. Not as tough as the KST servo leads (which have even harder insulation) but better than the Hansen wire in this regard. If you prefer really floppy flexible wires you might want to stick with the Hansen stuff but personally I'll trade a little flexibility for abrasion resistance.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:39 AM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

Genuine FCI Amphenol Mini-PV terminals crimped onto 22AWG Radical RC wire:

I find the Radical RC wire makes better insulation crimps, probably because of the tougher and somewhat stiffer insulation. It's also a little easier to keep the wire lined up in the terminal on the HT-95 as you close the jaws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crimp_radical_RC_mini_PV_genuine.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	715207  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:07 AM   #134 (permalink)
HF Support

Looks very professional - must order some of that wire !
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found these on Ebay:

Dupont Female Crimp Pin Terminal Contacts 0.1" Gold - QTY(100)

$1.38 per 100 plus $3.16 shipping (shipping is combined so it makes sense to order several packs).

Red wire is Aibans terminal and brown wire is Hansen. There are some slight differences between them in the construction but functionally they are the same. The "wings" on the insulation crimp on the Aibans terminals are pointed rather than round which makes them slightly longer but I'm not sure if this makes a difference. Both crimp well in the HT-95. The insertion force seems about the same on both.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aibans_terminal_001.jpg
Views:	959
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	722603   Click image for larger version

Name:	aibans_terminal_002.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	722604  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 09-14-2017 at 12:35 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 AM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

These look really nice:

C1003GMF10 Compatible Futaba Male Female Servo Connector Plug Full Gold x10

Have to order from the UK but free shipping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	722639  
Old 09-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Which die set

Hi:

Which die set do I look for on the HT-95 or HT-73?

Its pretty confusing trying to figure out what will work from the listings on ebay.

Thanks

Julian
Gentcpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentcpa View Post
Hi:

Which die set do I look for on the HT-95 or HT-73?

Its pretty confusing trying to figure out what will work from the listings on ebay.

Thanks

Julian
The HT-95 has six dies and the HT-73 has four. Stay away from any crimpers that advertise nonstandard dies. I'm not sure why someone would get ahold of expensive crimpers then change dies but it happens.

I attached a link to the HT-95 manual which shows the die part numbers.

Also, in my opinion, I would not get the HT-73 crimpers. It is a fight to get the crimped pin into the servo housing when using true 20 AWG wire. I wanted HT-73 crimpers so that my extensions and stuff would be the same size as the modern servo manufactures. It turns out that it is marketing wank or lies because all of the servos I have seen don't use any larger than 22 AWG wire for their servos. YMMV
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HT-0095 manual.pdf (806.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 09-14-2017, 03:29 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the info, that manual is really cool.

Most of the stuff on Ebay doesn't look right:

Berg HT95 Hytool Crimping Tool with 20-26 14-22 Die Burndy | eBay

There are some others that look right but have little to no description. Hard to read the model number tags one of them looks like an HT-25, which I can't find any info on, so its probably a HT-95.

They look interesting to play with if nothing else. I haven't had too many problems with connectors usually when you crimp them you know right away there is a likely issue. But sometimes they get distorted enough that pushing them into the connectors is an issue or they don't stay in the connector properly.
Gentcpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

I gave up on eBay and bought the Molex service grade crimper.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ervice%20grade

Ask Glenn how many crimpers he bought and how many he actually uses. Probably make $130 look good. But if you can personally inspect crimpers there is nothing better than a Berg.
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in