Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 05:48 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Goodlett View Post
The HT-95 has six dies and the HT-73 has four. Stay away from any crimpers that advertise nonstandard dies. I'm not sure why someone would get ahold of expensive crimpers then change dies but it happens.

I attached a link to the HT-95 manual which shows the die part numbers.

Also, in my opinion, I would not get the HT-73 crimpers. It is a fight to get the crimped pin into the servo housing when using true 20 AWG wire. I wanted HT-73 crimpers so that my extensions and stuff would be the same size as the modern servo manufactures. It turns out that it is marketing wank or lies because all of the servos I have seen don't use any larger than 22 AWG wire for their servos. YMMV
The Hansen 20 AWG servo wire will fit inside the deluxe housings but you have to coax them in. It seems the insulation is slightly smaller diameter than stock 20 AWG silicone wire however the strand count is 99 vs 60 strands on the 22AWG wire. That said I don't really trust silicone wire in a crimped terminal, the insulation jacket is soft and the insulation crimp wings can tear the wire jacket over time. Hansen used to have PVC jacketed 20 AWG but they haven't had it in stock in forever.

Personally I now prefer the Radical RC 22 AWG wire as it has a tougher insulation jacket than the PVC jacketed Hansen stuff and has an identical strand count. The trade off is that the tougher jacket also makes the wire slightly stiffer but I'm willing to accept that (and it also makes it a little easier to crimp)
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #142 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentcpa View Post
Thanks for the info, that manual is really cool.

Most of the stuff on Ebay doesn't look right:

Berg HT95 Hytool Crimping Tool with 20-26 14-22 Die Burndy | eBay

There are some others that look right but have little to no description. Hard to read the model number tags one of them looks like an HT-25, which I can't find any info on, so its probably a HT-95.

They look interesting to play with if nothing else. I haven't had too many problems with connectors usually when you crimp them you know right away there is a likely issue. But sometimes they get distorted enough that pushing them into the connectors is an issue or they don't stay in the connector properly.
Use these pictures for comparison:

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread...07#post7344305

Just compare those pics with the ebay pics if it matches it's the right tool. Note that the branding may be Berg rather than Dupont and the handle color may be blue-grey instead of black. You will probably have to porowl Ebay for a while to find one (it took me a few weeks till one popped up)

EDIT: Here's one for $100 from BMI Surplus.

https://www.bmisurplus.com/products/...rimp-tool-ht95

They supposedly have three in stock, the one pictured looks as if someone disabled the ratchet mechanism (this is a common modification) You could probably contact them and ask if they have any that still have the ratchet enabled if that's important to you.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I now need to get a crimper to change micro Losi plugs to JST on an ESC and several 1s 500mAh lipo packs.

Since it's been several months, does anyone have any other/new solutions for a good crimper?

I don't need to do servo connectors yet, but it might be nice to get a crimper than can do both JST and Futaba/JR servo connectors.

I'm thinking the Hansen might still be the overall best solution.

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:26 PM   #144 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Dave View Post
Like John, I am also looking for a recommendation of crimpers, terminals and housings for making my own servo extensions.

If I had to buy something now, I guess I'd go with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Dave View Post
So, has anyone vetted these Iwiss SN-28B crimpers? They look to be a near identical clone of the Hanlong Industrial HT-225D that Hansen sells. A search only turns up TWO hits for 'Iwiss' (and none for 'Hanlong'; I guess y'all hadn't figured that one out yet).
https://www.iwiss.com/sn-28b-wire-te...rimping-tools/
vs.
Hanlong Industrial Co., Ltd. aka Hansen Deluxe

Looks like the Engineer PA-09 is another thing I may have to get. We'll see how the Iwiss does with my terminals and housings.

I've seen a bunch of [email protected] Chinese copies of the SN-28B that nobody seems to like much, but that may be purely due to bad copies of a half-way decent original from Taiwan.
HarryC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #145 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
[URL="https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Compression-Ratcheting-Wire-electrode-Die-Orange/dp/B00OMM4YUY/ref=pd_sim_21_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00OMM4YUY& pd_rd_r=T7EFHE1BKY4Q7CY53YS0&pd_rd_w=Sofru&pd_rd_w g=BU2U3&psc=1&refRID=T7EFHE1BKY4Q7CY53YS0"]

So, has anyone vetted these Iwiss SN-28B crimpers? They look to be a near identical clone of the Hanlong Industrial HT-225D that Hansen sells. A search only turns up TWO hits for 'Iwiss' (and none for 'Hanlong'; I guess y'all hadn't figured that one out yet).
https://www.iwiss.com/sn-28b-wire-te...rimping-tools/
vs.
They lost me when they suggested soldering the wire to the terminal. That tells me they already know the die isn't optimal for Dupont terminals. I have never understood why some chinese company hasn't copied the actual official die for these terminals. They are widely used all over the place and it seems someone could make a lot of money by offering a reasonably priced tool that actually works well with these connectors.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of soldering those tiny terminals myself. If I have to do that, why in the world am I using a crimp connector??

We had 5 or 6 different crimpers in the engineering lab at my last company 11 years ago, yet only one of 'em would reliably crimp the little BergCon terminals (we only bought the gold-plated ones). I *think* it was the HT208A. This far down the road, all I can recall is that it had a little thumb-operated gate that would align the terminal in the die by catching in the 'slot' that the locking tab on the connector grabs onto just ahead of the D-crimp. That was handy as it also acted as a stop for the wire itself: the wire couldn't protrude past the D-crimp more than about 5-8 mils. For some brands of terminals the gate wouldn't work and you had to thumb it out of the way and go with eye-balling it. NOTE: it's easily possible that we had our machinists redesign the original crimper, as what I remember doesn't look quite like the HT208A that I see photos of.

I've seen discouraging words about the Engineer PA-09; is the PAD-11 any better? That models at least has replaceable dies, and the dies look like harder steel than the cut-outs on the cheaper PA-09.

HarryC is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #147 (permalink)
Registered Users

You know what they say about workmen blaming their tools...

It is not a question of being a fan of soldering the small connectors it is detrimental to the overall connection. The solder is liable to make the wire brittle so it will break in time.

Having said that the dies in the PAD-11 you have pictured do have a better form for folding over the crimp to turn them over at the middle.

I have both because I found the PA-09 first.

With the PAD-11 I can do the small connectors used on fpv cameras and vtx boards.
Andy from Sandy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #148 (permalink)
Registered Users

Some cable to check out.

Premium Servo Cable, 3x0.35mm, 10 Meters, by PowerBox Systems, from PowerBox Systems, pbs-1009-1000 - Chief Aircraft Inc.

Does anyone have any experience with the HT-95 vs. Berg 208A crimp tools. I was wondering if there is any difference in the quality of crimp or ease of creating a good crimp?

Last edited by Staub; 01-20-2018 at 04:42 PM..
Staub is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #149 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staub View Post
Some cable to check out.

Premium Servo Cable, 3x0.35mm, 10 Meters, by PowerBox Systems, from PowerBox Systems, pbs-1009-1000 - Chief Aircraft Inc.

Does anyone have any experience with the HT-95 vs. Berg 208A crimp tools. I was wondering if there is any difference in the quality of crimp or ease of creating a good crimp?
I think the HT-95 makes a better crimp, but, the 208A is easier to use. They both make excellent crimps though. Also matters what brand of pins you are crimping.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staub View Post
Some cable to check out.

The crimp quality is basically the same as both of these are official factory tools from Dupont/Berg. (EDIT Ok poster above says the HT-95 is slightly better) These days FCI Amphenol only seems to make the HT-95 and HT102 which is a shame because the HT208 was apparently easier to use thanks to the wire stop. The HT-95 has holder pins which are literally bergstrip pins held in place by a setscrew inside the tool that you plug the female terminal onto (it has two dies one for 22-26 AWG and one for 28-32AWG) and which holds it in place while you crimp. The HT-102 has a backplate with square holes that you plug the male terminal into. Unlike with the HT208 with the HT-95 and HT-102 you have to line up the wire in the crimp barrel by eye.

Harwin makes a copy of the Dupont type terminal (Harwin M20) and has their own crimper for them but I have never seen one come up for sale used and it's around $800 new.

https://www.harwin.com/products/Z20-320/

I am fairly certain that the Hansen servo terminals are actually the Harwin M20 crimp terminals as they seem to be identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z20-320_v1.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	735304  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 01-20-2018 at 09:25 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #151 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I think the HT-95 makes a better crimp, but, the 208A is easier to use. They both make excellent crimps though. Also matters what brand of pins you are crimping.
I found that the Apex RC terminals work really well with the HT-95, they stay put on the terminal holder better than the Hansen ones. The Hansen ones can wiggle from side to side on the holder pin more. The Apex ones lay flat on the bottom of the die where with the Hansen ones there is a 0.1mm gap between the back of the terminal and the the lower die. They both crimp the same but you don't have to be as careful when closing the tool with the Apex ones.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-RC-Pro...53.m2749.l2648

They have JR and Futaba style housings in packs of male, female or both types.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 AM   #152 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for the info. I will try those next.
Gentcpa is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2018, 12:05 AM   #153 (permalink)
Registered Users

Supposedly the Hozan P-707 crimpers do a good job with Mini-PV terminals. They have a 1.6mm round die that crimps the insulation wings correctly. This is an expensive-ish tool (around $70) that usually has to be ordered from Japan.

PC Crimping Part Numbers - Page 46 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

The 1.6mm round die is used for the insulation crimp and the 1.4mm double D die for the conductor crimp.

I read that the less expensive Hozan P-706 will also work but I borrowed one to try out and I found that it does a less than satisfactory job. However unlike the P-707 the insulation die is 1.8mm instead of 1.6mm. The crimps it made certainly didn't look as good as the one done by the P-707 in the pictures above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P437.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	737928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hozan_7.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	737930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hozan_9.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	737931  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 02-18-2018 at 12:16 AM..
Old 02-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #154 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just found this:

616 006 3 1 RENNSTEIG, Crimp Tool, Hand, FCI Mini-PV Series 48234-002 26-22AWG Socket Contacts | Farnell UK

Retail is around $390 which is still very expensive but much lower than the official FCI or Harwin crimpers.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:39 PM   #155 (permalink)
Registered Users

Needed to shorten the wire on an elevator servo and so I took come pictures of the Apex RC terminals vs the Hansen ones.

Hansen terminals at top, Apex RC ones at bottom, note the straight back compared to the Hansen terminals. Because of this they sit better in the HT-95 than the Hansen ones do. The Hansen terminals can wiggle sideways a bit on the terminal holding pin while the Apex RC ones do not. The design of the connection box and leaf springs is also slightly different but there doesn't seem to be any noticable difference with insertion force .

Crimps with Apex terminals:

Finished lead. This servo is literally right next to the FBL unit so any wire routing options would have been messy. I don't like doing this but it really was the only option for clean wiring.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	apex_001.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	739328   Click image for larger version

Name:	apex_002.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	739329   Click image for larger version

Name:	apex_003.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	739330  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 03-06-2018 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-10-2018, 06:23 AM   #156 (permalink)
Registered Users

FCI branded HT 208, seller had listed it as an "HT280". Being the FCI version dates it sometime in the late 90's to early 2000's

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FCI-ELECTRO...53.m2749.l2648

Snapped it up the second I saw it.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #157 (permalink)
Registered Users

this is a really cool thread with a lot of info.. so, in the end, how about a list of the great crimpers to keep an eye out for.. also a place to get the good pins for crimping..
Old 03-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #158 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you think the FCI 208a crimpers are better than the Berg 208a crimpers? The only obvious difference that I can see in the photos are the handles. No doubt you got a fair price.

I routinely see Berg 208 crimpers on ebay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERG-Electr...AAAOSwP4FaOr0C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupont-Berg...EAAOSwL9pagLZY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERG-ELECTR...IAAOSwz2Vamung

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DU-PONT-HT2...oAAOSwIhtamuq9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERG-ELECTR...AAAOSw2C1amuuS
Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 AM   #159 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do you think the FCI 208a crimpers are better than the Berg 208a crimpers? The only obvious difference that I can see in the photos are the handles. No doubt you got a fair price.

I routinely see Berg 208 crimpers on ebay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERG-Electr...AAAOSwP4FaOr0C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dupont-Berg...EAAOSwL9pagLZY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERG-ELECTR...IAAOSwz2Vamung

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DU-PONT-HT2...oAAOSwIhtamuq9

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BERG-ELECTR...AAAOSw2C1amuuS
As far as I know they are mechanicly the same tool just with different branding. Looks like they chaged the grips but I bet the tang inside is exactly the same. The FCI version would have been made more recently than Berg or Dupont branded ones though. I'm also pretty sure they're actually OEM by some third party and not actually made by FCI.

Fohrenbach apparently used to sell their own branded version of the HT208 with red grips though they have discontinued it in favor of their own design (they still sell parts and service for it though)

http://www.foehrenbach.be/Tool=HT208+160
Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 AM   #160 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here's another mini-PV equivalent , QI-xxx series. Found them on this page:

http://eleshop.jp/shop/goods/search....item_code2=SQI

These have both plain housings and keyed futaba style housings.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	qipca.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	739920   Click image for larger version

Name:	qizua.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	739921   Click image for larger version

Name:	qizue.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	739922   Click image for larger version

Name:	qi3kade.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	739923  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in