Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

This is a great thread. After all of this testing, what is the recommendation for a servo crimp tool and connectors that won't break the bank? Or maybe a value option vs Cadillac option. Almost too many choices.
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

What these guys are not telling you is how many crimpers they had to buy for $40 each to get one that works. Buying off of eBay is a crap shoot. If you have a used tool store nearby and can see the tool before you buy, the prices are about $200 ~ $300 for these crimpers in looks good and not completely worn out.

There is probably a copyright type problem with making a cheap crimper that will work on some other brand of pins.

I worked for a company that made prototypes of electronic equipment. All of the crimpers bought for projects disappeared shortly after the project was finished. So like new crimpers are out there.
Four Stroker is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Stroker View Post
What these guys are not telling you is how many crimpers they had to buy for $40 each to get one that works.

First HT-95 I bought was the HT-95 crimp handle with a different die, I returned it for a refund, second HT-95 I bought worked perfectly. The first HT-102 (for male terminals) I bought also worked perfectly as did the HT-73 (for 20 AWG female terminals). Just make sure the seller accepts refunds and if the tool come and doesn't work (and the listing said it works) you can return it. The problem of non standard dies can be largely avoided by studying the pictures and comparing the terminal locator and die to a real HT-95.
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWeber View Post
This is a great thread. After all of this testing, what is the recommendation for a servo crimp tool and connectors that won't break the bank? Or maybe a value option vs Cadillac option. Almost too many choices.
The Hozan P-707 I mentioned earlier seems to be the best option for an "affordable" tool. It's still going to set you back around $75 though. It seems to do an adequate job but you have to do the crimp in two steps (which might actually be better with a tool that doesn't have a locator anyway).

The least expensive option for a proper ratchet crimper with a locator and wire stop that's specifically designed for Mini-PV type contacts is the Rennsteig 616 006 3 1 which is "inexpensive" at around $380 (inexpensive compared to other similar tools that is).

Seems there's a space in the market for a proper set of dupont crimpers that IWISS or some other chinese tool maker could fill and make a killing selling to the hobby electronics market. I mean IWISS already makes some other cheap tools for other crimp terminals with a locator and wire stop (for example this) so I wonder why they haven't made one for dupont type terminals yet (they do make a "dupont crimper" but it's just a Hansen style ratchet pliers type tool that doesn't do a very good job)

Also here's the exploded view of the HT-208, pretty complex machine actually. Keep in mind they are also factory adjusted individually.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ht-208_exploded.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	739988  
Raptorapture likes this.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I just discovered that the crimp contacts are actually called PV terminals and the housings are called Mini-PV receptacles. So "Mini-PV" refers to the housings not the terminals. This is because there are other more complex latching housings available for these terminals and those are called "PV connectors" while these simpler ones are called "Mini-PV basics" by FCI Amphenol. As a whole this family of connectors are simply called "PV"
Old 04-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

This looks like a nice one;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Berg-HT-95-...IAAOSwWGxawPX4

EDIT- Someone let me know if I'm breaking any HF rules by posting an Ebay link. I have no dog in this race, just helping out others that may be on the hunt for good crimpers.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:43 AM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Goodlett View Post

EDIT- Someone let me know if I'm breaking any HF rules by posting an Ebay link. I have no dog in this race, just helping out others that may be on the hunt for good crimpers.
Yeah that looks like a good one, someone should grab it while the grabbing is good.

The FCI HT-208 I bought turned out to be a dud, it looks like someone had taken it apart and put it back together wrong (the "hook" at the top that locks the locator in place when you close the tool was on backwards which was what clued me in). I sent pictures of a properly crimped terminal and what these crimpers produced to the seller and he refunded without even requiring that I return the item. Also the screw on the back that holds the locator in place had a stripped head and a slot dremeled into it (it's an M4 button head and I bet someone tried to use an imperial allen wrench on it). This was not shown in the sellers pictures (though if that had been the only problem it would be easily fixable)

For some reason the terminal sat incorrectly in the locator over the die and this was the result.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RtnDownloadFile.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	741869  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 04-02-2018 at 03:56 AM..
Old 04-02-2018, 09:53 AM   #168 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Yeah that looks like a good one, someone should grab it while the grabbing is good.
Grabbed! Thanks Glenn! Definitely appreciate that guys. Looking forward to trying it out
Old 04-03-2018, 07:48 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post

The FCI HT-208 I bought turned out to be a dud, it looks like someone had taken it apart and put it back together wrong (the "hook" at the top that locks the locator in place when you close the tool was on backwards which was what clued me in). I sent pictures of a properly crimped terminal and what these crimpers produced to the seller and he refunded without even requiring that I return the item. Also the screw on the back that holds the locator in place had a stripped head and a slot dremeled into it (it's an M4 button head and I bet someone tried to use an imperial allen wrench on it). This was not shown in the sellers pictures (though if that had been the only problem it would be easily fixable)

For some reason the terminal sat incorrectly in the locator over the die and this was the result.
When I saw your post I had a deva vu feeling and it took a while for it to come to me but my 208a crimpers made crimps that looked exactly like yours whenever I used the Hansen pins. The problem is the pin cannot be inserted far enough into the crimper and part of the socket gets crushed by the die and the conductor crimp gets screwed up as well.

I shimmed the locating pin so that the connector inserts farther into the crimper. I just used a washer and adjusted the thickness of the washer with a file to get the proper insertion depth (see photo). You could also modify the shape of the locating pin to achieve the same result, but, then there would be no going back.

Now my 208a makes perfect crimps on the Hansen pins every time.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3171.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	742034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	742038  

Last edited by Glenn Goodlett; 04-03-2018 at 08:10 PM..
Glenn Goodlett is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2018, 03:08 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
When I saw your post I had a deva vu feeling and it took a while for it to come to me but my 208a crimpers made crimps that looked exactly like yours whenever I used the Hansen pins. The problem is the pin cannot be inserted far enough into the crimper and part of the socket gets crushed by the die and the conductor crimp gets screwed up as well.

I shimmed the locating pin so that the connector inserts farther into the crimper. I just used a washer and adjusted the thickness of the washer with a file to get the proper insertion depth (see photo). You could also modify the shape of the locating pin to achieve the same result, but, then there would be no going back.

Now my 208a makes perfect crimps on the Hansen pins every time.

Took me a second to realize it but your HT-208 is missing the "hook" at the top, on one one I got it was on backwards and it also looked like they had over tightened the nut that is used to adjust the bellmouth crimp (part # 28 in the exploded view, there was thread sticking out the other end of the nut where normally the thread is flush with the top). This nut seems to adjust the position of the die relative to the locating pin (adjusting it did nothing and I'm pretty sure someone had left somthing out when they had the tool apart)

Note that if your tool is working well as-is I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oddly I never noticed the hook missing either.

Upon closer examination, comparing both of my 208a crimpers there is a number of subtle differences.

1) hook
2) the adjustment cam thingy is on both sides on the Berg/Dupont crimper
3) the Berg/Dupont has a hole in the side frame to oil the pivot
4) springs are different

Also the exploded view diagram I have must be different than yours since part #28 shows as a set screw.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3173.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	742073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3174.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	742074   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	742075  
Old 04-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Is a Burndy the same Quality as a Berg?

Just picked up a used Burndy M8ND, is it the same quality a
Berg HT-95? It came with a N20RT-30 die. Will that work for our PV terminals? If not, can I get a die set that will?
Thanks
Bob
robertmrankin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmrankin View Post
Just picked up a used Burndy M8ND, is it the same quality a
Berg HT-95? It came with a N20RT-30 die. Will that work for our PV terminals? If not, can I get a die set that will?
Thanks
Bob
I'm not sure but I think you got the right crimper with the wrong dies. I don't think there is any chance it will work with mini PV terminals.

Buying the dies separately is almost not an option due to price and scarcity. The HT-95 uses six dies for PV terminals.

There is a link to the HT-95 manual somewhere in this thread.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:21 AM   #174 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

It's arrived.

Looks like they put a new die in or it has been really well kept. Question I have is the protector for the moving mechanism suppose to lean over the extended moving parts as shown in the pic?

I wonder if a shipping issue, which thankfully protected the mechanism or a bit of extra magic to make it work better. Basically, the overhanging metal causes the moving part to heel or lean over for the second 50% of the movement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180422_134226.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	743920   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180422_134247.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	743921  
Old 04-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

The "protector" looks bent. It is not supposed to make contact with the terminal holder. It should be 90 degrees to the frame of the tool.

Actually the "protector" as you call it is the spring retainer in the exploded view. It seems to have a dual purpose.

HT-0095 manual.pdf (806.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #176 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Thanks for that! Much nicer manual than the one I downloaded. Can actually make out the diagrams

Your thoughts on the impact to the device on the portion moving getting bent due to the angle of the spring retainer?

Now I get the reason for the discounted price. Going to be a real chore to straighten it!

Edit: turns out was easy to straighten with a pair of pliers. I guess must have been damaged when shipped

Last edited by Raptorapture; 04-22-2018 at 11:50 AM..
Raptorapture is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

If the guide pins got bent, it looks like it would be a chore to remove them and straighten them out, but not impossible.

If the guide pins are not bent, I think you are OK. Just straighten out the spring retainer.

Have you tried to make a crimp with it?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #178 (permalink)
CHC Benefactor

Ah, couldn't figure out what it was for. Thought it was for removal after crimp. Makes sense now, guide pins to hold in place.

Very strange, they don't look bent. Whole thing just bent and straightened again after going through cycle. Only unusual thing is different distance from other guide part which I'm assuming is due to wire size.

Getting late. Will try crimp tomorrow. Mechanism very smooth!
Old 04-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
If the guide pins got bent, it looks like it would be a chore to remove them and straighten them out, but not impossible.

If the guide pins are not bent, I think you are OK. Just straighten out the spring retainer.

Have you tried to make a crimp with it?
If the guide pins are bent up badly you can just discard them and pull new set out of a pin header. They are literally just pins from a 0.1 pin header without the plastic strip that are held in place by setscrews. The manual even says to just use BergStick pins. Replacing them is still a pain though because you have to partly disassemble the locator to get at them.

If the guide pins are only slightly bent you can easily straighten them without dissassembly. They're made of copper and will easily bend back and stay put.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:58 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

Actually the "protector" as you call it is the spring retainer in the exploded view. It seems to have a dual purpose.
If you ever need to take that off make sure you don't loose the springs and the little doodads those springs hold down that are under it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in