Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite)

Blade Helicopters (eFlite) Blade Helicopters (eFlite) CP, CX, mCX CX II, CX III. and others

Like Tree180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #121 (permalink)
Registered Users

^^
All good points Danb. Nothing I would disagree with.

Its good to see people are still interested in Blade and its just as good to see Blade reps talking with their customers. Steve P needs to do more of that.

For all the Blade haters, the hobby needs a company like Blade to get newbies interested. The kinda newbies that don't know about HF and don't have any heli friends when they start. They just walk into their local hobby shop and say I want to fly CP helis. Some of us that started similarly still buy Blade even after we tried other kits. Horses for courses and all that.

Keep talking Blade its in your own best interest.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
You could build some Blade helis entirely from Lynx without using one single stock part except for electronics,
I did that with an mCPX BL, one of my favorite helis. Though there's nothing Blade left on it but the servos and landing gear.

In terms of constructive critique, my suggestion is that Blade focuses more on "platforms" rather than pumping out new flash in the pan models all the time. It's like they're constantly chasing a better heli and never get there.

Blade's short lifecycle is is frustrating as and owner because you buy a Blade heli and it's obsolete a year later, maybe two at the most. When you find a heli you really like you want to keep flying it much longer than a year.

I'd like to see an extended upgrade path with a particular platform. To improve or innovate, make the platform upgrade-able. That would keep me locked in. I imagine there's a huge revenue potential in upgrade parts just based on my own spending. Probably can make more through upgrade parts than selling new helis to previous customers. Don't force early retirement of Blade helis. Doing that pushed me out to another maker.
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #123 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
I Though there's nothing Blade left on it but the servos and landing gear.
And the RX, FBL unit, ESCs, etc all contained in the control board.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'd like a Blade PC Heli App that lets me view/edit a DX6's (or DX7, DX8, DX18, etc.) SPM file - model setup - all on one large computer monitor. Then import/export that file, via the SD card of course, to/from the transmitter, as is currently done.

Model setup could still take place using the transmitter and scroll wheel, but being able to see, verify, snap-shot, etc. the entire transmitter setup for my heli(s) spread out in front of me (as opposed to fumbling through dozens of tiny LCD screens and scribbling notes on paper) would be absolutely awesome. Show me all of the throttle and pitch curves for the different flight modes, dual rates, expo, swash setup, sub-trims, travel adjusts, timer settings, servo reverse, gyro, etc. all on the big screen. Basically, take advantage of today's high-resolution monitor craze and display as much data at once as possible.

I'd buy/support this app/tool.

-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 06-26-2017 at 09:15 AM..
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #125 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
And the RX, FBL unit, ESCs, etc all contained in the control board.
Do you mean you'd prefer not to see that?

I think they should get away from those all in one boards as much as possible. It's a bummer when you have a failure on one of those and have to replace an expensive board. If the electronics were modular, you could replace only the failed component at a much more reasonable cost.

I think one of the big negatives of the mCPX BL was the controller board. The failure rate was high and people had to pay half as much as a whole new heli to replace it. On mine I changed out the electronics for separate boards, controller, ESC, receiver. Couldn't do that only a few years ago until they started making micro FBL controllers and micro receivers.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #126 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Do you mean you'd prefer not to see that?

I think they should get away from those all in one boards as much as possible. It's a bummer when you have a failure on one of those and have to replace an expensive board. If the electronics were modular, you could replace only the failed component at a much more reasonable cost.

I think one of the big negatives of the mCPX BL was the controller board. The failure rate was high and people had to pay half as much as a whole new heli to replace it. On mine I changed out the electronics for separate boards, controller, ESC, receiver. Couldn't do that only a few years ago until they started making micro FBL controllers and micro receivers.[/
Definitely. Those all-in-one control boards can be sketchy as heck. They're expensive to replace, too, if product support won't do it. How did you cram all those separate components on an mCPX BL? Pictures? What did you use for the two ESCs?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #127 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
I'd like a Blade PC Heli App that lets me view/edit a DX6's (or DX7, DX8, DX18, etc.) SPM file - model setup - all on one large computer monitor. Then import/export that file, via the SD card of course, to/from the transmitter, as is currently done.

Model setup could still take place using the transmitter and scroll wheel, but being able to see, verify, snap-shot, etc. the entire transmitter setup for my heli(s) spread out in front of me (as opposed to fumbling through dozens of tiny LCD screens and scribbling notes on paper) would be absolutely awesome. Show me all of the throttle and pitch curves for the different flight modes, dual rates, expo, swash setup, sub-trims, travel adjusts, timer settings, servo reverse, gyro, etc. all on the big screen. Basically, take advantage of today's high-resolution monitor craze and display as much data at once as possible.

-John
This is a great idea.

Math is hard...
MariaFan is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Users

deleted. Misunderstanding on my part.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:15 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

-John
What if I told you this basically already exists?

http://open-tx.org
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Number is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 07:23 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post

Yeah, but then they'd have to ditch their Spektrum TXs, RXs/sats and AR72XXBX FBL units.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #131 (permalink)
Registered Users

You win some you lose some?

He said what he wants. I showed him it's available. Spektrum won't do it.
https://kc3dprint.com - 3D Printing on Demand and Printed RC Helicopter Upgrades
Old 06-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #132 (permalink)
Registered Users

Petrotto asked what we wanted. I told him what I want. Problem with that ?

Thanks for the link. Not switching radio systems at this point.

Cute comments though

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 06-26-2017 at 10:13 PM..
FR4-Pilot is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #133 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started flying June of 2016 after racing surface RC since late 80's (40 last week!). Surface got old and I switched to planes, teaching myself using SAFE. Last fall I was off safe and ~1.2m warbirds were my thing. I picked up a Nano CPS around that time and started playing with it in SAFE as my buddy that jumped from surface to air with me was really into helis. So I SAFEd it around a bit while we got better at planes.

In this process we met a guy flying a big 700 Goblin Speed at our same spot and got some advice. My friend bought a 180 CFX and started practicing on that and then the Goblin guy pulled a 180 CFX out of his closet and gave it to me to try. So 2ish months ago I forced myself to stop on SAFE with the Nano and start practicing low rates on it and the 180. So I got to where I could rip those two around a good bit and ordered the 270 when it was on sale + coupon.

So..... Nano got me started using Safe and then on past it. BEAT the heck out of it and loved it (bought a second). 180CFX has been a great little heli and I still fly it the best out of the 3 I have. The 270CFX has been great as well, gave me the confidence to buy a 360CFX (used from forum) which will be here later this week. With this one I will have my first chance to setup a FBL on my own (it is coming with some BeastX clone that I am taking out). We will see how that goes and I may be on to something bigger shortly after that.

I just wanted to put my $0.02 in that Blade has a really nice beginner lineup and should potentially focus on that as their strategy. Take the great helis you have now and improve on them. More power in the Nano, bring back the 360 2 blade, offer the Safe equipped 230s or 250 in a pitched tail, etc. I bought the 270 on sale for the pitched tail & bailout. After flying the 180, I haven't needed the bailout but am glad it is there as I progress on inverted, flips, etc.

As I said, I will probably end up going bigger as soon as I play with setting up a FBL on my own, and having loved my Blade gear I would most likely look there first for my 420 / 500 / 550 if they had one. Since they don't I will move on to a new (to me) brand.

mCPX BL2
[Past - Goblin Speed | G420 | G380 | Mini Comet | 360CFX | 270CFX | 180CFX | Nano CPS]
treys1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Petrotto asked what we wanted. I told him what I want. Problem with that ?

Thanks for the link. Not switching radio systems at this point.

Cute comments though
I like your post more before you edited it
Old 06-26-2017, 11:03 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
How did you cram all those separate components on an mCPX BL? Pictures? What did you use for the two ESCs?
Take a look at this post where I put up a pic and short description of what I did;
https://www.helifreak.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=11. It would not be possible to fit that under the stock canopy. Not pictured is the BL Heli Parts Protos style canopy that affords much more room for that brick of electronics.

The dual ESC I designed and built myself using the MCU pinout for an XP3 which allows me to run BLheli firmware on main and tail. If you'd like more details on that you can PM me.

Changing out the electronics the way I did plus all the metal bling does add a good bit of weight, heli is 83g all up, but with the big HP08S motor at 5600k rpm head speed (governed, 125mm blades) disk loading is still light and punch is quite good. I like this heli a lot and plan to fly it until my fairly large stock of spares runs dry. Then it will be on to another micro I can bling out the same way.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1 View Post
I just wanted to put my $0.02 in that Blade has a really nice beginner lineup and should potentially focus on that as their strategy.
Blade got me started on helis too. I think that's their stong suit and they should continue to focus on that, but also keep us locked in with the stuff we want to see as we advance in the hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number View Post

Yes it's just around the corner for me. I'm using MSH Brain controllers now. Recently switched over my whole fleet from BeastX. Brain/Ikon offers Jeti and Graupner intergration with OpenTX integration coming down the pipe. Spirit FBL has OpenTX integration currently. As I'm on OpenTX now I'm really looking forward to tuning through my radio instead of a programming device. Blade needs to jump on this. In my mind it's a huge feature and the pushy blinky interface of the BeastX is going move it into obsolescence if they don't get off their laurels.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #137 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yes it's just around the corner for me. I'm using MSH Brain controllers now. Recently switched over my whole fleet from BeastX.
I did the same thing. I used to run all Spektrum AR7200BX FBL units. They were okay, but Blade actually forced me into MSH iKON units. The stock FBL unit on the 180CFX sucked and was completely non-tunable. I put a micro iKON in it and it was like night and day. Because of that great experience, I ripped out all the AR7200BX units in my other helis and replaced them with iKONS. Two helis got new iKON V2 units with integrated bluetooth and the old 450X got a standard iKON. All of those MSH FBL units have been great. I can't recommend them highly enough. Pure awesome.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #138 (permalink)
Registered Users

Same here, was using AR7200BX. Put a Brain in one of my helis and I was like, wow this thing is really good. That's it, they're all getting them. Then it was like, hey I can use more than six channels, calibration, setup selection, rescue. Okay need more channels, OpenTX it is then. So I went to a whole new platform. Still getting used to having rescue though. Should save a few crashes I expect.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Yeah, but then they'd have to ditch their Spektrum TXs, RXs/sats and AR72XXBX FBL units.
You can do the same with deviation on a Devo Tx and keep using spektrum as well as gain a few more protocols.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2017, 03:23 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered Users

mCPX V3 please !
fliermike is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in