Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default help picking out a 6ch/3d heli (micro?)

well i ve had a few of the cheap 3,3.5 and 4 ch helis to get hooked and even had a wl v977.Im wanting to get something thats more in the hobby grade but thats hard in the smaller units. The v977 had just a cheap feeling radio. I was in a local shop and talked into a blade 120 and that thing was a issue from day 1. it had a bad tail motor that would start out ok and then a min into the flight it was droping in power and would just spin into the ground. contacted blade and was sent a new tail boom and landing gear. and after 3 batterys the tail started the same crap.
Ive looked at the walkera genius cp with a devo7. and a devo8 also. Something that feels like its gonna last and that you can get parts for. the v977 was a good unit but hard to get heli parts and led to a very bad transaction with a shop selling the cnc bits. So what is out on the market say blade 120 and smaller size thats 6ch and isnt a money pit?
badassrx7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

K110 with it's toy feeling radio, but for the price, it's unbeatable.
Or use Devo radio whit it,.....not sure if it's compatible
salrica is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The XK-110 which is a updated v977 with a programmable tx is as good as it gets really. Parts are easy to get they just take a while to arrive since they come from China.

Although sometimes you can find them on eBay that ship from the US just buy from sellers with perfect feedback. Avoid CNC parts since they're quality usually isn't great and they do nothing but add weight anyways.

The V977 tx really didn't bother me. Felt good in my hands and worked plus the switches were in the same locations they are on my Spektrum tx. Once in the air I didn't even notice I wasn't using the tx I had been for the last couple years.

Blade micros are pure money pits. Failures, quirks and frustration combines with brittle overpriced parts make them an unpleasant experience more often than not. 180 and 230 are decent but not ultra micros

Ultra micros are best if you accept them for what they are, learn what you can then move on. They still remain useful for learning new things but they're underpowered and flight characteristics aren't great compared to a god old 450.

I would say get the XK and a sim, get the basics down and do all the reading you can on mechanical and electronic setup of bigger helis. Once you can manhandle the XK a used 180 out of the Helifreak classifieds from a member with good feedback is a great step between ultra micro and 450. Gives you a taste of tail mechanics which will give you valuable build/repair experience that a heli with a tail motor cannot. There will be a learning curve that can be difficult but better to learn and make beginner mistakes on a small heli that's fairly cheap to crash

Make sure to get one with servo savers or metal servo gears as it saves a lot of headache.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
The XK-110 which is a updated v977 with a programmable tx is as good as it gets really. Parts are easy to get they just take a while to arrive since they come from China.

Although sometimes you can find them on eBay that ship from the US just buy from sellers with perfect feedback. Avoid CNC parts since they're quality usually isn't great and they do nothing but add weight anyways.

The V977 tx really didn't bother me. Felt good in my hands and worked plus the switches were in the same locations they are on my Spektrum tx. Once in the air I didn't even notice I wasn't using the tx I had been for the last couple years.

Blade micros are pure money pits. Failures, quirks and frustration combines with brittle overpriced parts make them an unpleasant experience more often than not. 180 and 230 are decent but not ultra micros

Ultra micros are best if you accept them for what they are, learn what you can then move on. They still remain useful for learning new things but they're underpowered and flight characteristics aren't great compared to a god old 450.

I would say get the XK and a sim, get the basics down and do all the reading you can on mechanical and electronic setup of bigger helis. Once you can manhandle the XK a used 180 out of the Helifreak classifieds from a member with good feedback is a great step between ultra micro and 450. Gives you a taste of tail mechanics which will give you valuable build/repair experience that a heli with a tail motor cannot. There will be a learning curve that can be difficult but better to learn and make beginner mistakes on a small heli that's fairly cheap to crash

Make sure to get one with servo savers or metal servo gears as it saves a lot of headache.
+1. I can't comment on the V977 aspect, having never owned one, but I agree with all the other points in this response. I have owned a ncPX, MCPX BL and 180CFX in the micro size heli's but just got a K110 to throw around outside and am really impressed with it. Way better than the nCPX and MCPX BL, IMHO.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 I'm in roughly the same place (just starting out). I got a 130S and 250 CFX. Both fly well. But the K110 is incredibly stable and durable, and I'm getting so much more practice by being able to fly that thing in my front yard with no worries about destroying the heli or my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrica View Post
K110 with it's toy feeling radio, but for the price, it's unbeatable.
Or use Devo radio whit it,.....not sure if it's compatible
everestm is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

As a beginner you won't go far wrong with Spektrum and Blade, just don't fall into the trap of spending money upgrading micro helis, accept them as the cheap fun models they are.

The XK110 has a great reputation, but needs a Futaba radio. That's the only downside to that model I know of.

One advantage of starting with a Spektrum radio is the huge number of bind n fly models you can pick up. There are quads (nQX), micro helis (nCP S, 130S, 230S), planes... And you'll also find a ton of people around with experience with Spektrum who can help you with the radio.
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1. The xk k110 is honestly the best micro size heli on the market today. It is far and away more responsive and stable than any micro Blade out there, and it is amazingly durable. Crashing a Nano or an MCPX always seemed to lead to a time out for repairs. I've crashed my k110 probably 20 times without a single repair besides putting on a new main gear. I love my k110 so much that a I bought two more as backups just in case. Six months later they are still in the box as my original purchase still flies like a dream. I even purchased a k100 to fly around the living room, and it is as stable as any fixed pitch heli I've ever flown. I guess all that's left to say is, get yourself a k110 and see what flying a micro is all about. You will surely love it. Enjoy.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default oxy 2

oxy 2 Hands down the best micro sized helicopter. I have had all the blade micro helicopter and nothing comes close to the oxy 2.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Oxy2 isn't for a beginner though, that's more a heli you get when you're experienced enough to realise how good it is.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrx7 View Post
...Something that feels like its gonna last and that you can get parts for. the v977 was a good unit but hard to get heli parts and led to a very bad transaction with a shop selling the cnc bits.
My experience ordering parts from Banggood (mainly shipped from China) has been very good. The cheapest shipping can take 2-3 week. If you pay an extra buck or two, you can get something in 7-10 days. The K110 needs parts so infrequently, you are fine ordering a few of the right spares when you buy the heli.

Quote:
The v977 had just a cheap feeling radio.
The K110 also has a budget radio feel, but it's very functional for the cost. (The K110 RTF is about $100.) I have no problem switching between the K110 and my DX9 for the bigger helis. I have a nano CPS I could fly with my DX9, but I totally prefer the K110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx View Post
Oxy2 isn't for a beginner though, that's more a heli you get when you're experienced enough to realise how good it is.
+1
K110 to Oxy (either 2 or 3) would be a great transition. Anyone who can competently hover the K110 in all orientations with stability off, and is starting to get comfortable in forward flight, should not have a problem with an Oxy if it's tuned right. But I wouldn't recommend starting with one as a first CP heli.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

The V977 and K110 are as good as it gets in that size. Sure the V977 radio looks cheesy, but it flies great. The V977 is about $60 for the heli only on ebay, order a couple and some of the crash kits from Banggood. Don't order any "bling" or upgrade parts, there aren't any that actually improve performance.

For a radio, get a Devo 6 or 8s and the 3-in-1 board. If on a budget, the 7E or 10s are nice. Forget the Walkera micro helis, they are less reliable than the V977.

Last but not least, fly over tall grass and use throttle hold and you won't have to keep buying parts.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Not a micro but not as much of a money pit as the other Blade models because it doesn't need (or even can use) upgrades, is the Blade 230s. Low head speed and most crashes will lead to a dust off and re fly. Parts are available everywhere...and it's an easy flyer. Once you progress, you'll ditch it and get the Oxy2!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
The V977 and K110 are as good as it gets in that size. Sure the V977 radio looks cheesy, but it flies great. The V977 is about $60 for the heli only on ebay, order a couple and some of the crash kits from Banggood. Don't order any "bling" or upgrade parts, there aren't any that actually improve performance.

For a radio, get a Devo 6 or 8s and the 3-in-1 board. If on a budget, the 7E or 10s are nice. Forget the Walkera micro helis, they are less reliable than the V977.

Last but not least, fly over tall grass and use throttle hold and you won't have to keep buying parts.
So with the 3 in 1 board i can use a devo6 8 7e or 10 with the v977 or xk k110? I need to look into what devo will work with a sim also and save on the 3d learning cost in parts and crash them on a computer.

Thanks for the replys guys. like i said i had a v977 and it got a ton of air time i think i have 10 batterys for it. and after the faital crash i had with it i went looking on ebay and such and i just got totally confused with how they were listing them like "L2M7" "Q7F0""G2T5""Q2P7" what in the hell would the 4 digit mean?(v977 bnf)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started with a Devo 10, if you flash it with Deviation it can bind to any Spektrum model quite happily (DSM2 or DSMX protocols). However there's a steep learning curve to set it up.

If you feel you're in this hobby for the long term, it's worth investing in a better radio. It's going to last many, many models, and work for the sim, and if I were starting over I would have gone for a better radio initially.

A decent radio and a v977 or xk110 and a sim would be a great way to start the hobby.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

well i think im hooked on the helis i can mess with them in my yard so no need to goto a flying field so i think i will do the better box. now this int my 1st time down the rc path. back when i was 12 or so i was talked into getting better grades via a Eagle 63 with a os .40 and i built is all my self. and had 4 more planes and a powered glider all died a ugly death.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrx7 View Post
So with the 3 in 1 board i can use a devo6 8 7e or 10 with the v977 or xk k110? I need to look into what devo will work with a sim also and save on the 3d learning cost in parts and crash them on a computer.
Yep, it'll work with the 977 and a ton of other micros/quads/etc.

Tons of pre-built config files are available too:

https://www.deviationtx.com/forum/mo...nd-quad-models

Works with a SIM as well.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default XK K110

I posted a similar question and a few people recommended the XK K110. I think I'm going to give it a shot for a micro. I'm shocked with the amount of positive reviews despite never hearing of the brand. Does anyone know of a US seller for the K110? Also, are there any additional lipos that fit well recommended?

Thanks,

Brendon
brendon55 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you modify the battery connector to a micro JST there are a bunch of good lipos you can get for the K110. Just bought some of these:

(You can use the charge cables as adaptors on the K110 if you don't want to change it but you add weight and possible connector resistance)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E16YW9I

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGD51RI
BrokeDad is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
If you modify the battery connector to a micro JST there are a bunch of good lipos you can get for the K110. Just bought some of these:

(You can use the charge cables as adaptors on the K110 if you don't want to change it but you add weight and possible connector resistance)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E16YW9I

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JGD51RI
Thanks for the link. Im in need of new packs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
mattbeau is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Best Lipo pack for this heli, lots of punch and steady voltage
And cheap

http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-25c-600mah-1s.html
salrica is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in