slightly axial play on mainshaft - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Evolution (formerly ALeeS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default slightly axial play on mainshaft

hi, I have noticed that my two Rushes 700 had very slightly axial play (even with tightening bottom shaft screw at max.) on the main shaft but I thought this won't be noticable in flight.

However I have unscrewed the bottom screw and have put a 1mm shim in between and after flying again I had a much better heli, it felt much more direct on the sticks and was really worth putting the shim in between.

maybe you should check this on your Rush too, now my two Rushes real fun
smackdown is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2017, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Axial play? Play pulling pushing the head up and down?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

yes that's right.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah the newer shafts that Evolution has produced (the ones with the EVOLUTION logo on the shaft) are about 0.2mm too long between the lower bolt hole and the bottom of the shaft. I'd recommend using a 0.2mm shim not a 1mm one or it will pull down on the shaft and wedge the lower jesus bolt in the bolt hole.
Atomic Skull is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Gaui x7 and Goblin uses various thickness main shaft shims that my work.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdown View Post
hi, I have noticed that my two Rushes 700 had very slightly axial play (even with tightening bottom shaft screw at max.) on the main shaft but I thought this won't be noticable in flight.

However I have unscrewed the bottom screw and have put a 1mm shim in between and after flying again I had a much better heli, it felt much more direct on the sticks and was really worth putting the shim in between.

maybe you should check this on your Rush too, now my two Rushes real fun
Did you loosen the screws in the bottom bearing block before you tightened the screw at the bottom? Once you tighten the screw in the bottom of the mainshaft than tighten the screws in the bottom bearing block and it should take care of most of it.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

No I did the other way around, first I have tighten the bearing block and pushing it up while tightening and then at the end I have tightened the bottom screw, but since I have put a shim in between I haven't had any play anymore.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajkat1073 View Post
Did you loosen the screws in the bottom bearing block before you tightened the screw at the bottom? Once you tighten the screw in the bottom of the mainshaft than tighten the screws in the bottom bearing block and it should take care of most of it.
Plus 1
Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

No shim needed if you loosen the block first. That was part of this great design. Such a good helicopter.

Last edited by cajkat1073; 10-29-2017 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: Spelling
cajkat1073 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajkat1073 View Post
No shim needed if you loosen the block first. That was part of this great design. Such a good helicopter.
I did it the "right" way (lower bearing block loosened first) and still had some axial slop. I confirmed that the shaft was slightly too long between the lower bolt hole and end of shaft with calipers by comparing it to an old Alees made shaft. Maybe these shafts work right in a V2 but they definitely cause about 0.2mm of vertical slop in a V1

I never really liked the idea of the lower screw all that much, it makes changing the mainshaft or pulling the maingear hub a PITA. I wish they would have provided an M9 steel screw with a hexagonal head then you could have just used an adjustable wrench to install and remove it without worrying about chewing up the head.

EDIT: Apparantly M9 bolts are used in some automotive applications. Cut one off short and you'd have a forever screw for the Rush mainshaft.

EDIT: Went looking on Ebay and came up with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272146584534

I'm 99% sure the Rush mainshaft screw is m9x1.25. I measured the pitch and major diameter and it came out to 1.25 for pitch and 8.5mm for major diameter. However the tops of the threads are squared off so it likely is actually m9 (which should be 8.9mm for major diameter)

If it works I'll cut it down to match the length of the aluminum mainshaft screw.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 11-01-2017 at 09:26 PM..
Old 10-31-2017, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Wow nothing works properly or easily for you does it Atomic
Old 11-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis P View Post
Wow nothing works properly or easily for you does it Atomic
Nope if there is a defective product sitting on the shelf I'm always the one who gets it.

The Hobbywing Flyfun V5 I got earlier this year shot sparks on first spoolup, sent it in for warranty repair or replace, tech support said they couldn't figure out what went wrong and sent me a replacement. I know it was the gremlins that did it, that's why they couldn't find any obvious cause.

Also the replacement had an incorrectly crimped terminal on the brake wire (which I don't use anyway). But still, the whammy strikes again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.