Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV Racing Discussion

FPV Racing Discussion FPV Racing Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New Racing drone

Dear all,

After long period off the fields (I used to fly 450E and 600N helis), I recently got thrilled by the aspect of racing PVR drones. So I made my mind and decide to enter this new world.

At the time speaking, I want to choose a racing drone. By searching the web, there are tons of information, for frames, esc's, motors, antennas, propellers etc which are totally new for me. I found people that they are on new constructions with combinations of frames-electronics-softwares, while others on ready kits.
From my past experience, I know how better a heli can be after updates/improvements, but to be honest I decide to go with a ready Racing drone at the moment.

My question is which kit is better recommended (200-250 size) for its reliability (not to include electronics that suffers) and performance (can support an intermediate fast flight), considering that I will not have to upgrade it after my skills will be improved. Also the cost has to stay under 350$ (without TX-RX and PVR glasses/screen).
I have already discovered Diatone TyrantS, Diatone Crusader GT2, Eachine Wizard, Align mr25xp, but don't know which serves better the reliability/performance. I know that there can be tones of othe suggestions that I don't know and a war to come, but any information could be helpful.

Armattan Chameleon Ti 5", Trex 600NSP, HDX450 2221-6 CC-ICE-50, Walkera 36, Kyosho EP Caliber M24, Turnigy 9XR PRO, Futaba 7CP
cu19x is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unfortunately, RC helicopters have spoiled us when it comes to expectations of reliability.

Racing drones don't enjoy that sort of thing, so be prepared for trouble shooting out the wazoo over time. I'll repeat this, just in case it's not clear. Do not expect any racing quad to be "reliable". Do not expect any component of any racing quad to be "reliable". Motor, ESC, VTX, and even camera failures are common.

Lots of people like the eachine wizard, and the Diatone lineup though, so pick the most popular machines you can find so that you've got the most resources for support.

You're right though. At the moment, your best bet is to find an RTF kit, learn to set it up and fly it, then when you're ready, build your own.

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

I didn't know the reliability drone issue, which is unpleasant (as far as you are used differently) but if this is a "fact" I will go with this.
Unfortunately there are no local resources, so everything has to be purchased from abroad.
Are there any other kits that are good and people like them as well?

Armattan Chameleon Ti 5", Trex 600NSP, HDX450 2221-6 CC-ICE-50, Walkera 36, Kyosho EP Caliber M24, Turnigy 9XR PRO, Futaba 7CP
Old 05-11-2017, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Any other kit suggestions?

Old 05-11-2017, 02:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauropitotto View Post
Unfortunately, RC helicopters have spoiled us when it comes to expectations of reliability.

Racing drones don't enjoy that sort of thing, so be prepared for trouble shooting out the wazoo over time. I'll repeat this, just in case it's not clear. Do not expect any racing quad to be "reliable". Do not expect any component of any racing quad to be "reliable". Motor, ESC, VTX, and even camera failures are common.

Lots of people like the eachine wizard, and the Diatone lineup though, so pick the most popular machines you can find so that you've got the most resources for support.

You're right though. At the moment, your best bet is to find an RTF kit, learn to set it up and fly it, then when you're ready, build your own.
I agree on the reliability. I came into the hobby via racing quads. I built two myself - a 280 sized one and a 180 sized one, noth 4S.

The big one even cought fire mit air once because a motor burnt down.

Why are they not reliable? This is very simple: These things are designed to run on the bleeding edge. They something like a topfuel dragster.

There is a good reason why they are ran on 75C (and now 100C) lipos. Yes these figures are fantasy but those lipos have a much better discharge rate than anything we know from a helicopter.
This is needed because of the insane powerdraw.
On a powerful quad you'll be running 4x 30 ESCs on 4S. Power draw peaks of 150A+ are nothing special.

Now consider this: On a big heli 150A is nothing. On a quad you are using 1300 to 1500mAh lipos. No matter how you look at it: Lipos are getting trashed on these and there is no way to avoid it.

Setting a low voltage alarm to 3.7V? Forget it! It will beep on the first punchout. Even the best lipos get pummeld so badly that they will go below that under load at full capacity. That is why you fly with an on screen display where you can see your lipo voltage.

For someone use to build helis building a quad is nothing hard to do. You will have to read up on the software part (FC, OSD) a bit and you'll be good to go. Prepare yourself for insane amounts of power and acceleration. This is where quads surpass any heli.

I prefer helis right now but racing quads can be a lot of fun. Especially if you got a group to fly with. I lack the time being a family father. Getting a few heli flights in between is easier.

Edit: Important: Stay away from 3S quads. 4S is where the fun starts.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

aaahhh. you said things so nice.
I was afraid that most of people would suggest the build new path, which has started poking me.
Pfff, tough decision.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I must have been very lucky. I've been flying FPV for almost 2 years, and have never had anything fail that wasn't my fault (I wired it up wrong) or crash damage.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm kinda budget minded and bought both the Wizard X220 and Black Knite 210. I think
think the Wizard is faster, but I like the BN because I have spektrum gear and it was truly ready out of the box. I personally think the build quality on the BN is better as well as the video quality is excellent (although the TX's channels are actually different than what it says). I have had pretty bad luck personally with Bangood stuff. Wizard video transmitter went up in smoke instantly, fc board bricked, and doesn't have OSD, where the BN does, along with a lost model buzzer. On both I have foxeer cameras. The stock are bad on each. The Wizard had way too narrow camera POV, and the camera and VTX came wired improperly, so I had lines in the video until I fixed it. I also have a slight drift in horizon mode for some reason, but I only use it to land anyway. With the fixes on the Wizard, both are now equally fun but I like the osd with battery voltage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
flyingquisinart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

just get a kds 250 quad. i beat the piss out of mine and crash it 40 times and its has no issue.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by big lou View Post
just get a kds 250 quad. i beat the piss out of mine and crash it 40 times and its has no issue.
Looks cool but I see that it is discontinued in many stores, so I afraid a bit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in