Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > MSH Brain FBL Unit

MSH Brain FBL Unit MSH Brain Support Forum

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location
Default Wishlist item for MSH developers

Hi
Sorry if this has been covered before but I would like to be able to have a new rescue mode. Once activated, the heli will rescue itself automatically if the altitude drops below a preset amount, say 10m.

Am not sure if this is possible if the current sensor set does not include an altimeter. If it does it might be possible to implement in software.

Anyways I think it is the next logical progression for rescue. The alternative is to implement voice recognition in the TX and when the pilot shouts "oh sh*t" the heli does a rescue. Hahaha.

Do others think this is the way to go?
IanWhitehead65 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2018, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWhitehead65 View Post

Anyways I think it is the next logical progression for rescue. The alternative is to implement voice recognition in the TX and when the pilot shouts "oh sh*t" the heli does a rescue. Hahaha.

Do others think this is the way to go?
And in the next step you just have to think about Rescue and it will be activated.

Spirit is experimenting with something like this.
If it works? no idea.

Spirit GeoLink - Spirit System

There is already a wish list here in the forum!
Look here.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=801461
IanWhitehead65 likes this.

Last edited by papads; 04-29-2018 at 11:10 AM..
papads is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Hi
The alternative is to implement voice recognition in the TX and when the pilot shouts "oh sh*t" the heli does a rescue.
This is currently being worked on and by the volume and level of emphasis will control how much pitch and how long rescue is enabled.
pctomlin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctomlin View Post
This is currently being worked on and by the volume and level of emphasis will control how much pitch and how long rescue is enabled.
Additional expletives following the rescue attempt should further trigger Throttle Hold and prepare servos for imminent impact.

(I'm laughing through gritted teeth!)

Paolo
dogbreath and IanWhitehead65 like this.
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

The common term for that is "hard deck". It's rumored that MSH is experimenting with connecting a GPS receiver to one of the SAT ports, so a hard deck may be coming. The problem with GPS altitude is that it's not as accurate as lateral position, but it may be good enough given an ample altitude setting. Also, GPS altitude is actually elevation above sea level, so the ground elevation would have to be taken into account.
Graupner MZ-32

Experience is something you gain only after you need it.
I wouldn't mind social media so much if it didn't involve people.
TheBum is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

msh yes is working on GPS. Alex talks about it on the free fall podcast.Sat port 2 is used for GPS or was used and there was a binding issue/soft ware bug on it.
Trex_600n,Trex_500,MR25,MikadoLoGo5003D_KDE,CastleCreations,Ys,JR XG8,Sab Goblin 380/X_Nova/Bk_Servos, JR TagsMini//Sab Goblin 500Pulse Edition, Sab Goblin570Carbon_SABUSA_X_Nova_BkServos_KDE,RJX-Swash,JR-SPG-Tail/TagsMini_JRX-Bus.
JEEPWORLD2002 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2018, 01:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
The common term for that is "hard deck". It's rumored that MSH is experimenting with connecting a GPS receiver to one of the SAT ports, so a hard deck may be coming. The problem with GPS altitude is that it's not as accurate as lateral position, but it may be good enough given an ample altitude setting. Also, GPS altitude is actually elevation above sea level, so the ground elevation would have to be taken into account.
Yes GPS is not accurate enough but a mixture of GPS, barometer and accelerometer could be used to establish a hard deck
I would argue that barometer and accelerometer would be enough but I'm not programming it.

Sent from my X9079 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Hard Deck" was one of the Skookum FBL feature; GPS unit needs to be purchased separately to work with FBL unit. Not sure whether MSH will do the same or something else ....
465 (6s), Align DFC, HW50AV3, KST315 & 8910A+, SK720BE
lcc014 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2018, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Wishlist item for MSH developers

hard deck is just the first step.
but once that is done, they could add waypoints and autonomous flight.
if everyone did that, i could enjoy safe flying at the field.
etherbatxx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

No offence but for heli?
waypoints and autonomous flying ' => that's not 'flying' in my book.

Why not use a drone for that?
Imho msh should spend their cash on something else...

But maybe that's because I still believe Sim's and training circuits is better than rescue....

I don't know what the rules about standalone flying where you are flying, but here we need a license to proof you can at least master the basics. (at least in official rc clubs)
Number and Crashalotjoe like this.

Last edited by zomaar; 05-02-2018 at 12:36 PM..
zomaar is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

I agree, and I doubt that MSH is heading that direction. Hard deck makes sense in the context of rescue and track plotting is not unreasonable because it's a passive thing.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 05-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Radio altimeter? That's what aircraft normally use to sense "the deck".
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigHB View Post
Radio altimeter? That's what aircraft normally use to sense "the deck".
Radar or Laser altimeters are not all that useful for 3D flight because they have to be pointed toward the ground at all times. If someone is doing inverted flight or 3D, they're useless.
Graupner MZ-32

Old 05-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

I want a hard deck because I am now trying to fly inverted circuits and sometimes I do not get to the rescue switch quickly enough or I fly so high it is hard to see any shift in the rotor disk.
I believe the ring fencing could be useful especially during public demonstrations. Not as high on my wish list though especially if you need to buy a further module to do it as I fly smaller helis.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Location: Perth, Western Australia (the most isolated (AND COVID FREE!) capital city on earth!)

Quote:
I want a hard deck because I am now trying to fly inverted circuits and sometimes I do not get to the rescue switch quickly enough or I fly so high it is hard to see any shift in the rotor disk.
I believe the ring-fencing could be useful especially during public demonstrations. Not as high on my wish list though especially if you need to buy a further module to do it as I fly smaller helis.
I have local government authority to fly in the local park (usually empty when I fly). Ring-Fencing would be especially useful to stop the heli accidentally "straying" over private properties that surround it.

As with Ian, a hard deck is obviously useful as I start getting into more inverted manoeuvres.

Paolo
XLPower 700, ALIGN 550L (beater), Prôtos MAX V2 Leggero 700 & Evoluzione 800 (RCHN #803 - joined just before they shut up shop!)
PaoloFCantoni is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

GPS, Hard Decks, Geo-Fencing... with the separation of MSH Heli's and MSH Electronics, why is everyone under the assumption these features would apply to heli's?
Agile 5.5, Logo 550sx, X5, Goblin 500, Oxy 3, Trex 450proV2, 250DFC #309
nflanagin is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 02:04 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Because there was an issue in the fw. In which sleeping code for GPS module communication interfered with the spectrum sats on brain 1's (brain 1's will not support it but It still had impact)

So people started to dream about the possibilities....
zomaar is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 04:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflanagin View Post
GPS, Hard Decks, Geo-Fencing... with the separation of MSH Heli's and MSH Electronics, why is everyone under the assumption these features would apply to heli's?
Its a wishlist item. Some free customer feedback. It just seems like a logical next step in the evolution of the rescue function. If the MEMs chipset used in the Brain 2 has a barometer it could be implemented in existing hardware which would be great if implemented
Old 05-03-2018, 06:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBum View Post
Radar or Laser altimeters are not all that useful for 3D flight because they have to be pointed toward the ground at all times. If someone is doing inverted flight or 3D, they're useless.
Could be engineered to work. Heli knows when it's level and can take a reading, then use accelerometer to track from that reference. Would be more accurate than GPS or barometer which can have a good amount of error. Plus those don't know where the ground actually is, only height with respect to sea level.
Krager is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
..........If the MEMs chipset used in the Brain 2 has a barometer it could be implemented in existing hardware which would be great if implemented
It will be an external module that plugs into the SAT 2 port.
Dawiev is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in