Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room

Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room Finless Bob's Helifreak Tech Room - Tips and how-To Videos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 12:12 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Kevin,

Thanks for the help, so I do not need a separate battery for the receiver then. I appreciate the assistance. By the way I'm going to use this in my X-cell Razor 600.

Don
skijones007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #102 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijones007 View Post
Kevin,

Thanks for the help, so I do not need a separate battery for the receiver then. I appreciate the assistance. By the way I'm going to use this in my X-cell Razor 600.

Don
Ok, I want to make it clear, You need two sets of batteries, one 2S pack to power the Rx, servos, gyros. And a separate pack for the Motor and ESC.

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #103 (permalink)
Registered Users

If your ESC don't have internal bec you can connect it to throttle channal as usual, if you have bec, just cut the red wire in the rx connector.
By the way, you can power the AR7100/R from ESC with bec, and then you don't need another battery for rx.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #104 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireup View Post
Ok, I want to make it clear, You need two sets of batteries, one 2S pack to power the Rx, servos, gyros. And a separate pack for the Motor and ESC.
Yeah, that's why I thought God invented the BEC. Fireup, is there something about this configuration that would argue against a "battery-elimination circuit"?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 06-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #105 (permalink)
Team Taco CEO

Here's two ways to use the AR7100 on an electric.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AR7100_Electric_Bec.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	52889  

Don't Taco My Pack, Bro! ,
Why crash when you can POUND it!
fireup is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM   #106 (permalink)
Registered Users

What we need now is for some company to step up and make a BEC with an output to 8.0v not 6.0v or 4.8v. We just need a higher voltage BEC is all. nothing else will change then.

Norman Ross Jr.
futurase is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #107 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Thanks Fireup that makes it perfectly clear now, I just couldn't picture it in my head. I'm going from a 450 to the 600, either 10S or 12S. I wanted to make sure, I didn't want to purchase something I didn't need.
I plan on using a castle HV85.

Thanks again
skijones007 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2008, 07:49 PM   #108 (permalink)
Team Tostada Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurase View Post
What we need now is for some company to step up and make a BEC with an output to 8.0v not 6.0v or 4.8v. We just need a higher voltage BEC is all. nothing else will change then.

Norman Ross Jr.
Castle's bec is adjustable to 9 volts.....

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/cc_bec.html
Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 AM   #109 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is it possible to use the 7100r with 6.0 volt servos and a 2s lipo pack. What switch, wiring look like. They state in the instructions that normal switches do not work.

Charles
charles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #110 (permalink)

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Is it possible to use the 7100r with 6.0 volt servos and a 2s lipo pack. What switch, wiring look like. They state in the instructions that normal switches do not work.

Charles
I had one out of the box the other day and it comes w/ it's own switch!
Montana_Reefer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #111 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

Thread Starter Thread Starter

My HF Map location

No.... the unregulated output is straight 8V so you MUST use 8V servos if you want a straight 2s lipo. You can however run a regulated 6V into the RX.

If you don't want to use THEIR switch then leave it off and that leave the RX powered up and you can use a switch on the input power or regulator but to some extent your defeating the purpose of this RX. Might as just well use a 921 or AR9000 and a regulator. Did you watch my video?

Bob
Finless is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #112 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bob,

I did watch the video. I just wanted to make sure that I understood concept. It does not make sense that they would set this up so the only way to use their setup with lipos is to use 8v servos. I guess you could put a 6.0v regulator in between the battery and the rx, which would then give you 6 volts to cyclic servos and 5.2 to the internally regulated ports.

Charles
charles is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #113 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Bob,

I did watch the video. I just wanted to make sure that I understood concept. It does not make sense that they would set this up so the only way to use their setup with lipos is to use 8v servos. I guess you could put a 6.0v regulator in between the battery and the rx, which would then give you 6 volts to cyclic servos and 5.2 to the internally regulated ports.

Charles
Correct you can do that......

Bob
Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #114 (permalink)

Smile

does it matter if the receiver antenna hits the canopy ,the satelite is fine just the receiver antenna?
JR NUT is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 02:28 AM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finless View Post
No.... the unregulated output is straight 8V so you MUST use 8V servos if you want a straight 2s lipo. You can however run a regulated 6V into the RX.

If you don't want to use THEIR switch then leave it off and that leave the RX powered up and you can use a switch on the input power or regulator but to some extent your defeating the purpose of this RX. Might as just well use a 921 or AR9000 and a regulator. Did you watch my video?

Bob
Bob,

I just bought a 7100R and was planning to use a 2s lipo to run my 8717 cyclic servos. After talking to JR's tech support I was told that they are aware that people are running 2s lipos directly to 8717s but that they aren't rated for it and it voids the warranty. I'm not worried about the warranty but I am concerned about the increased risk of toasting a servo and wrecking my heli. The extra speed is not going to make a big difference for me so I've been looking at using a 6 volt A123 pack with out a regulator. It sounds like you're saying that I'm risking a brown out that way and I need to buy a regulator and a 2s lipo to run 6 volts. Is this correct? If so, I've lost half of the benefit of this reciever by buying a regulator. Am I making too big a deal out of this issue? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Zaphod_2112 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #116 (permalink)
Registered Users

If I use the lead that comes with the unit, instead of the switch, ( the one that enables you to charge )
then I cannot balance my battery unless I connect the balance lead as well, Is this correct?

Also how do you rig up a battery level indicator for a lipo??

I am using a 2 cell lipo.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #117 (permalink)
Team Taco VP

My HF Map location

Well I can't argue with JR and running those servos at 8V. I am just sharing what many people have been doing for over a year now. I can tell you that many pro pilots are doing this even before the 7100 came out. You have to decide if you want to do that. I have myself have not heard of the servos burning out on anyone running 8V to them.

Quote:

If I use the lead that comes with the unit, instead of the switch, ( the one that enables you to charge )
then I cannot balance my battery unless I connect the balance lead as well, Is this correct?
Of course! to balance you always have to use the balance plug! I do not use the feature to charge through the RX because they recommend you unplug the pack when not flying as the "soft switch" system does cause a tiny bit of leakage and can drain the pack over time. So since you have to unplug it anyway after your done flying, might as well charge it from the battery connector.

Bob
Old 07-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #118 (permalink)
Registered Users

For those that don't want to run 8 volts:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...odID=SPMVR6010

Or any other high amperage BEC setup.
AMA#47402, IRCHA # 3395
Blade CP "Pro", Trex 450SE, PiccoZ, Quick of Japan EP8v2 EX, Hurricane 550, Hurricane 200, JR Vibe 50, Blade mCX, Bergen Intrepid Gasser, Pantera 50, Blade mSR, Novus CP
Pinecone is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #119 (permalink)
Registered Users

Got my AR7100R today, really nice unit.
The starnge thing is the sensor, I mounted it and checked it while I turend the motor, the led goes on and stay on all the time, only if I'm turning it to the other direction she goes off.
I understand that this is not ok right ?

Thanks,
Roei
Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #120 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rather than reposting everything here, I think anyone using or thinking about using the AR7100R's should read these three threads on the otheRR site:

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t443309p1/
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t440566p1/
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t439198p1/

I'm not trying to scare anyone into not using these, but I think anyone who is using them should be cautious. We've all got a lot of money invested in our helicopters. I can think of a lot of ways I would rather crash than my receiver taking a dump on me.
creightoncarr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in