DS-16 My Experience - Page 2 - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Jeti Duplex Radio Systems

Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Jeti Duplex Radio Systems Support

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm currently going through the exact same process.
I'm not struggling so much with the programming.

Wait til you fly with it and realise real world that it doesn't really feel any better than your DX18.
Infact I think it feels like a rubber coated house brick.
Then bring it home and try to justify the price, not to mention the look on your clubmates faces when you pull out a 1000 radio.
Despite those comments above that may seem negative, I really like my DS16, I have now sold my DX18 but I have a second hand DX9 for my bind & flys and AR7200BX equipped helicopters (I simply could not afford to move all my fleet over to Jeti).
I'm stunned with the DX9, it honestly feels nicer to hold, no less precise to use and cost me 200.
I got what I wanted however, I wanted the 'best' and I got it, but in reality the DX9 feels just as good to actually use at the field.
GadgetMart is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Push button on the end of my right stick (mode 2) is great for my bailout/rescue.

It is always right there if need be. This is the one button I never have changed. In airplanes it is my idle up button.

Steve your previous fumbling around described in your previous post will never happen with this button.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

We have yet to meet, I need to get my act together and come hang out with the group. I've joined the FB page and hopefully will make it out soon...

I own a small bike shop and scheduling on the weekends has been tricky, but I'm looking forward to hanging with some heli peeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Graham View Post
Thanks, I doubt I would use a stick with a button on it even though I pinch.

We have a fairly active little heli group in DEN. Have we met? Join us at FB Denver RC heli pilots.

The user menu looks pretty practical.
Omegatron is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well I got 3 flights in this afternoon.

Mostly good.

I'm getting intermittent low voltage alarms from the flight battery. I didn't see the power falling off so I'll have to look at the logs to see if they show anything. I'm wondering if the telemetry might be dropping out momentarily. It happened intermittently on 3 separate sets of flight packs.
Steve Graham is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2017, 08:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
We have yet to meet, I need to get my act together and come hang out with the group. I've joined the FB page and hopefully will make it out soon...
That's pretty funny... I live in Alaska, and I've even met Steve....

Yo Steve! I just bought a C-170. When do you want to come up and fly around?

schu
Old 06-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey Andrew,

That sounds very tempting. Seems like your having a good time. Still have to get up there one of these days.

I looked over my logs for the 3 flights. I don't have any real experience reading these but most look to be very short spikes or dropouts if you will. I was logging at 20hz and it appears the voltage drops are around 2/10ths of a second when they happen. On average two or three times a flight. Voltage doesn't go to zero just down significantly. I wonder if it is just noise in the system? The RPM signal occasionally spikes down as well but again only for a fraction of a second so it has to be something in the data capture algorithm right? On the last flight I got a bunch, like a hundred, GOV engage/disengage cycles that also lasted only a fraction of a second per instance. This was reminiscent of the issues I was having last fall on spektrum satellites when I had a sat wire going bad. Unrelated but annoying.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:58 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Odd. There was another user in the Brain forum seeing a voltage drop also. I think his was a Jeti. You might want to poke around on the Brain forum to see if yours is similar. It might be good to post your info up and the log files there.

Hopefully someone can chime in with reviewing the telem signal on the Jeti. From another thread, it sounded like it could be done (Q value of the signal I guess). I'm new to Jeti also, so make a long timer can give the info on it.
GravityJunkie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Assuming the reading is just a glitch I thought there might be a way to set the alarm to only trigger for a telemetry value that had an exceedance for a minimum period of time maybe .5 seconds.

More troubling is the fact that I discovered a serious problem with some of my CC connectors awhile back that may have been responsible for a whole lotta grief and money.
https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=783407This was partially responsible for driving me toward Jeti in order to have a warning when things like this were happening. I definitely don't want to disregard something that might be a real problem.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

FWIW, the Brain is showing these voltage drops in the data logs so I don't think the telemetry signal was dropping out just reporting what it saw.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steve,
You might change to 50 hz logging and see if there are multiple data points of low voltage in those drops. That would better rule out a bad data point here and there.

BEC or Rcvr pack? If you use BEC & have a receiver pack laying around you could kluge it into the system for a flight or two and see if the dropouts are gone.

Dan
dogbreath is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

RX pack.

I may try that for a flight.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Steve

Hopefully you're able to track down the issue. If these drops in voltage are remnants of your pre-existing woes, then it's excellent that Jeti is allowing diagnosis of issues.

What connectors are you using with your RX pack? I've had issues with worn out EC3's on my G380 causing it to fall out of the sky...
Omegatron is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

My RX pack is good. It's my Flight pack voltage that is showing drops.

FWIW, I'm using XT60's for RX packs and CC 6.5 mm green connectors for my Flight batteries. Had never had a problem with these before and spent the other night re-soldering batteries to replace the females that were underspec but the whole issue has caused me to re-consider anything that is more than ONE single connector in a housing as I think this could happen with any of them.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

trying to get some Wav files imported right now. I found some stuff that was mp3 files. I changed the .mp3 to .mp4 and the file still plays on my computer but not in the TX. I guess I have to use some sort of file converter?
Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

I was using the Ivona site before. It is the Jeti original voice and program used for it and in conjunction with Audacity I could record using the "try it" page from Ivona to record what ever I wanted.

Ivona is not allowing that anymore so I use the RCthoughts recording now to make new files:

https://www.rc-thoughts.com/tts/

Not the same voice as Jeti but it works fine.

You can also use some of the files from the Jeti site:

http://www.jetimodel.com/en/Addition...-transmitters/
Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wtih the files I created with my wife using voice recorder then changed the .mp3 to .wav I get "Invalid riff ID" errors.

On files I downloaded then changed I get a "unsupported format tag" error.

Strange that the computer can play these but the TX can not? If it's not obvious I'm clueless with this stuff.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

With Audacity you can just play on your computer what your wife recorded and re-record it to play in Jeti.
Here is an explanation on how to use Audacity just play your wife voice instead of Ivona in the instructions. It will tell you what setting has to be used for Jeti to work. It is in German but with lots of pictures easy to understand what needs to be done.

http://www.mfv-marbach.ch/index.php/...s-16-erstellen

Google translate makes a good job of translating it believe it or not
Old 06-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again PPM,

I'm learning, slowly but still.

I did discover using audacity that I can voice record or open downloaded files. Then by exporting in "WAV (microsoft) signed PCM" it creates a file that the TX will read

For some reason audacity doesn't recognize some of the WAV files I downloaded but it does pick up the mP3's.

Obviously just changing the file extension does something that creates an unreadable file, at least for the TX.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi Steve

I wont go into too much detail as this is a brain forum but file extensions "indicate" what the file is supposed to contain.

Some programs actually open the file and "peek" inside to see what it actually contains instead of strictly using the extension.

Your computer software did this "peeking" and figured it was mp3 and great for you it works even though you renaned it to wav. Your tx tries to open the file using the wav standard as you renamed it but it is still a mp3 file so errors will happen. The file is not completely unreadable as renaming it to original extension will make it work again or programs that "peek" will be able to figure it out.

Similarly you could rename a Microsoft Word document with extension .doc to a wav file and try play it but it makes no sense. The same should apply to renaming any file extension to another file extension.

Sometimes renaming files makes you get around some barriers but in this case you are out of luck....you have to re-encode the file from mp3 to wav for jeti
Chippie13 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yeah, you can't just change the file extension, that's just part of the file name. You have to actually change the contents.

What you've done is the equivalent of sticking a baked beans label on a tin of spaghetti hoops. Sure it looks like beans on the outside, but you haven't changed what it is..

What you need is a piece of software like Audacity which supports both formats, and has the ability to convert between them. Usually you just need to go to the "Save As" menu and there will be an option there to change the file type you want to save it as.
myxiplx is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.