Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > JR and Spektrum Radios and Electronics > 2.4G Spektrum Radios

2.4G Spektrum Radios Spektrum 2.4 Gigahertz Radios and Technology

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flightengr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default DX8 trainer mode

I'm having problems connecting my DX8 to any other radio for trainer mode being I'm a fairly new pilot. It doesn't matter whether it's trying to link between another DX8 to a DX18 it doesn't seem to want to work at all. So any input would be greatly appreciated.
taternator is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The first question that comes to mind is which transmitter is the "master" and which is the "slave" or "student"?

The master controller needs to be able to control all functions of the aircraft itself, assuming the student controller doesn't exist.

The master controller also needs to have trainer mode enabled for the model. That's done on a "Trainer" screen in the System Setup menu. When you enable Trainer mode, it asks you which switch/button is going to toggle between student and master control, and it will also want to know whether you want to use "Programmable Master" mode or "Pilot Link" mode. Which one you choose will dictate how complex the setup needs to be on the student controller.

When you use "Programmable Master", the student's controller must also be set up properly to fly the aircraft on its own. In this mode, the master controller passes all of the student's controls to the aircraft unchanged.

When you use "Pilot Link" mode, then the student's transmitter does not need any setup. It can be a very basic airplane or heli model. Pilot Link mode treats the student controller as "just a set of sticks", replacing the sticks on the master controller. The master controller still applies all flight mode settings, curves, D/R and expo, trim, and so on before sending the signals to the aircraft.

I have done a lot of buddy boxing with airplanes, but never with helis. I would assume that Pilot Link mode would work fine with a basic airplane model on the student controller, as that would pass stick input through to the master. I'd start out that way and then use the Monitor screen on the master controller to see how the transmitter reacts as the sticks are moved on the student controller. I really don't think you would want any swashplate mixing or stuff like that on the student transmitter when you're using Pilot Link mode - the master controller should handle all of that. The question in my mind is whether or not you'd need any pitch signal coming from the student controller. My inclination is no, but I'm not positive. That's why I'd start with an airplane model on the student controller, get it going with the master, and watch the Monitor screen on the master to see what happens to all of the channels including pitch while the student has control. If it doesn't work correctly, then I'd change the model type on the student control to a heli with a "1 servo normal" swash setup.

Finally, you don't mention if you are using wired or wireless trainer mode. The G2 versions of those controllers allow wireless buddy boxing, which means that you don't need a cord between them. If you go wireless, then you must put the master controller into a bind mode that allows the student controller to bind to it like it would bind to the receiver in the aircraft.

If you're going wired, then turn off the student controller before plugging the cable into the student controller. The student controller will power up in slave mode when you plug in the trainer cable.
jasond1979 likes this.
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Further to flightengr's comments. I regularly use a buddy box for heli training. If you use Pilot Link Master mode then there is no need for any buddy box setup as flightengr points out. I can confirm that pitch, rudder, elevator and aileron functions all work normally. This mode also allows control of which functions the trainee gets. I start with cyclic until they can control the hover then move on to add in rudder and collective.

I use a DX9 master and a DX6e slave in wireless mode. Very easy to setup and use
Roger_Salmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2017, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good to know. To fly a heli on the master, do you use a basic heli model on the student controller or does an airplane/acro model work just as well?
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
Good to know. To fly a heli on the master, do you use a basic heli model on the student controller or does an airplane/acro model work just as well?
That's something I've never checked. I set the slave transmitter to a heli model. I suspect it won't make a difference because the master transmitter is just reading the potentiometer positions. I need to prove that however.
Roger_Salmon is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2020, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Good information. Does anyone know how the two transmitters communicate between each other? Blue tooth? Some other protocol?

Best,

Jason
jasond1979 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
HF Scale Support

They connect via RF signal. They can be quite a ways away from each other and still have good link. Each radio that is capable of being the Master has a small remote receiver mounted inside the transmitter. I can take my first model DX18, which doesn't have wireless trainer as an option and bind it to my iX12, which is wireless trainer capable. That is why the student is "Bound" to the Master transmitter. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2020, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Question Mode mismatch in buddy setup

#newbie to the forum, first post, so apologies for that.

I have a pair of DX6 G2s which I want to use in training/buddy mode on a Trex 470L.... a potentially stupid but genuinie question...

Can each pilot operate with the TX setup in different Modes ?
ie Master in Mode 1, Slave in Mode 2.

I am a learner again at 50 yrs old, and have been using a sim in mode 2, but have a club veteran, aged 30 odd, who has offered to help me get off the ground, but he flys Mode 1. I've not come from fixed wing, so M1 just doesnt click for me.

Cheers
Matt
MattD is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in