What is clutch reinforcement ring for? - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Thunder Tiger 60/70/90

Thunder Tiger 60/70/90 Raptor 60/70/90 Helicopters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What is clutch reinforcement ring for?

Hi guys,

Can anyone explain me what is clutch reinforcement ring for?

This is the part:
http://www.rcheliparts.nl/nl/raptor-...523755361.html

I recently got second hand Raptor 60 and I don't have that part.

Thanks,
Branko
silence012 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The ring is fitted around the area of the one-way bearing. This steel piece helps stop the aluminum housing from swelling due to the needle roller bearings acting against the main shaft. This could lead to the one-way locking up.

Aftermarket one-way units are more robust in this area and typically don't need Band-Aid fixes.

-Mike
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the quick replay.

So if I understood it correctly I need that part in order to fly heli or this is just good to have

Sorry if question is silly I am really new in nitro helis and I would like to make that old timer flying properly because it is really hard to find parts for it.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you are just a sport flyer, you don't need it to fly. I would simply check the main gear after every flight to see if the one-way is free to turn. If it does not spin due to the one-way locking, then you can decide to get the ring.

-Mike
Old 06-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks again,

I fly basic 3d but not planning to do it with this raptor.

What I experienced is that when even engine is at full speed main shaft rotates very slow. You can even stop it with hands. I'm wandering if this is because I dont hve that reinforcement ring?

I would really like to make this heli fly...it is really classic model
Old 06-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm not sure I understand the description of the problem. Are you suggesting the clutch is slipping or the one-way is slipping? If it is the clutch, you can verify by checking the temperature of the clutch bell after a flight. It should be warm, not hot.

Have you checked the clearance between your clutch and clutch bell? I usually set it to .005-.015in. At idle, the clutch may just barely begin grabbing. If you have to rev the engine high before it engages, you need to reset the clutch gap.

The one-way bearing serves two functions. One is to drive the rotorhead and the second is to allow the engine to decouple from the mainshaft to allow the rotorhead to freewheel when the engine rpm goes to idle or zero. If the one-way isn't locking, but slipping, it will quickly wear out and cause issues transferring the engine power to the rotorhead.

Mike
Old 06-20-2017, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have to double check what is really happening there. From memory, main gear was rotate properly..but main rotor not. If I try to check one way bearing by hand it looked ok to me.
Will double check this weekend and will post update.

@Mike
Do you still have Raptor 60? Do you fly it?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've had a number of Raptors over the years from the R30 to the R90. Now my fleet consists of 4 Raptor 90's. One is converted to a gasser, one is a dedicated night ship, and 2 are for throwing around.

-Mike
Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cool, you are really Raptor guy. I basically started hobby with Blade 500 3d, and then Tarot 450 FBL, blade 130x and 180CFX and last year I bought T-rex 700L Dominator. So all electric models.

Last month fried of mine gave me as a present second hand raptor 60 and I felt in love in it even I've never flow it Hopefully, will make it fly soon.

Here in Macedonia it is really hard to buy anything related to RC hobbies. No stores in the country so we usually order parts from USA or UK and it takes time and money to arrive.

@Mike
Thanks for helping, I might come to you with some more questions until I make it fly
Old 07-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

The problem you describe can be related to a number of things:
1) The OWB is bad. You say it looks good, but if you try to rotate the main gear, it should "lock" in one direction and freely rotate in the other. If it is not locking when you rotate the main gear in both directions, the OWB is bad.

Or...
2) The OWB is rotating in the Auto Rotation Clutch housing. The OWB should be a solid "press-fit" into the housing. If it feels like the OWB is engaging when you turn the main gear, but if you push hard enough that turns or skips, then it has to be fixed.

Or...
3) The OWB is installed backwards. When you turn the main gear, it locks OK, but it locks in the opposite direction and turns the head in reverse.

Or...
4) The one way clutch shaft is ground down where the shaft engages the OWB. I the one way clutch shaft is ground down due to running a bad OWN for too long, the diameter will be too small for proper OWB engagement.

Or...
5) The engine is running (or once ran) backwards. Sometimes the nitro engines will "kickback" at a low idle speed and start running backwards. Usually, this will cause the leafs on the clutch to expand and strip the clutch liner off the clutchbell almost instantly. In this case,the next time you start it, even if it is running in the right direction, the clutch has nothing to grip

Or...
6) The clutch liner is gone (see #5) or worn down.

Or...
7) The clutch is broken. This happens after #6. The clutch leafs expand out to their limits and the break off. This can result in a clutch that never disengages or never engages.

I would say you should have the Reinforcing Ring (BK0613) if you can find it.

But, that is not why the head is not turning.
But, that may be the reason something else failed.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks ticedoff8.

I haven't had time to look into it because of very hot weather in Macedonia.

I'll double check everything again. I've also got reinforcement ring and will add it.

Cheers,
Branko

Tags
raptor 60, reinforcement ring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.