People HAVE to stop doing this crap - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Helicopter Safety

Helicopter Safety R/C Helicopter Safety

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default People HAVE to stop doing this crap

Ran across this guy's channel the other night. He has a bunch of these videos of him maiden'ing really large machines in his backyard surrounded by neighbors and houses.

There's a lot I can say about this video, but lets just focus on the safety part of it.

Context:
1) These videos are recent
2) This guy is clearly not a noob in terms of building heli's.

Safety:
1) I understand if you live out in the country and step into your backyard and fly. That's one thing. When your backyard is an 1/8th of an acre and you're surrounded by houses, fences, trees, etc WHY would you do a maiden flight of such a dangerous machine there?
2) Look at how many obstacles are near the machine. Chairs, posts, etc.
3) Look how incredibly close this guy is standing next to some of these machines on their maiden flights no less. At one point I saw the 770 get within 5ft of him.

Conclusion:
There's no way he doesn't know about the FAA cracking down on drone stuff. The last thing we need as a community is some schmuck to lose control and possible kill himself, someone else, or cause enough property damage to get the flashlight shined on us and this in the news.

People, new pilots, experienced pilots, please STOP doing this kind of crap. I see it all the time.

First flight of SAB Goblin 770 May6,2017 (5 min 54 sec)

First Test Flight of New Build Align Trex 700L V2 April28,2017 (6 min 34 sec)

Here's one of him having an actual failure of a 700 in his backyard!!!! Can you imagine knowing a friend or local pilot like this? If anyone knows this guy could you please set him straight?

AUG23,2016 Mechanical failure Crash Align 700 nitro converted to electric (3 min 28 sec)

He's literally throwing a G700 around in this one.

SAB GOBLIN 700 First test flight April 11,2017 (6 min 10 sec)

Here's his channel. You can't even count how many videos like these he has on there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Tazdrev...f_id=0&sort=dd

Last edited by DCflyer; 06-27-2017 at 03:13 PM..
DCflyer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Love the heavy breathing
Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Yeah, he's out of breath from carrying the heli out into the yard...

That may be all the flying this guy does. I used to fly with a guy like that - the world's self-proclaimed leading expert on helis. He could tail in hover at a world class level (if you didn't worry about it bouncing up and down) but there were no other orientations that he would touch. NEVER was there nose in, never even a turn towards himself. Not sure why but the subject of these videos reminds me of him...
Citizen #97
K2Freak is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

With all the heli's he builds when does he have time to maintain that gut ? All jokes aside what he is doing is foolish, these things kill. I've had my Goblin for about four years and I still get nervous spooling that thing up, nose in it looks like a moray eel.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

And yet I'm sure he has a driver's license. Seems stupid that gov'ts are cracking down on drones while still giving out driver's licenses like candy. I guarantee one of these things is more likely to kill...
Thickfog likes this.
giiba is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Is he being safe as he can be, probably not. But he's doing stuff in his own back yard and airspace.

There are certainly people doing a lot more stupid stuff in their backyards. I live in the suburbs of DC and can hear people shooting really big guns down the road in their backyard shooting range. I'd rather have my neighbor flying his big heli next door, at least i could see it. Don't get me started on idiots on playing with their phones and crashing into buildings....
Thickfog likes this.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Scary channel, some of his early videos are just bizarre...
jorgeurizar is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2017, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

All of the video's he has are in his backyard.

Find a park or field or something and enjoy the helicopter! jeeeebus
* G700c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

His latest video. I must say he has iron balls, he isn't scared of big helis at all. My little 470L used to scare me a lot, I finally got used to it and got over the fear two days ago lol.

Align Trex 700L Dominator first test flight JULY6,2017 (6 min 39 sec)
Old 07-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

"Powerful sucker"

Maybe if you actually flew it in an open field you could see how powerful it really is..
Teeyo likes this.
* G700c IKON * T-rex 500 *308DUO *450x #429
Relisys190 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
He's literally throwing a G700 around in this one.
I think you are adding more drama than is needed. That is not throwing around. I do more than on a test hover. He isn't doing anything wrong and scold me if you want, I do test hovers in my driveway. I make sure nobody is around and do it safely. When I do more, I go to the field and the fun begins!
Thickfog likes this.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Insurance

I do believe he would be covered by homeowners insurance if he has it. In a park you are not. I see no problem if he attempts to keep it on his property. I do that all the time. As far as FAA and drones, keep it out of critical airspace and below 400 foot and your OK. We keep it below the highest objects(transmission lines/trees near us) and nobody says a thing.
Thickfog likes this.
dirtcurt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Poor guy, there is a vid where the Lipo's catch fire and he was in a bed in hospital. You can see the pain on his face..
Old 07-14-2017, 04:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Besides safety... How many helis does he own? Having so many large helicopters and to fly only simple circuits/hovering at the backyard - doesn't make a lot of sense imo
OlegAn is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegAn View Post
Besides safety... How many helis does he own? Having so many large helicopters and to fly only simple circuits/hovering at the backyard - doesn't make a lot of sense imo
Just like any other addiction you take as much as you can any way you can get it. Tons of people on this site with a dozen models yet can't fly for crap.

Thanks to rescue there are record numbers of people hovering tail in with 700's these days.

To each their own I guess but it is scary.

I didn't give these things the necessary respect when I was new and ignorant till I got hit with one. Lucky for me it was a 450. I was gunshy for a while after that and still err on the side of caution more than most because of it.

Disintegrating a set of 450 mains across your upper arm and shoulder isn't pleasant. Across your face/neck would be life changing/ending. That's just a 450, hopefully this guy doesn't learn the hard way with a 700 but it's probably a matter of time till he does. One mistake, mechanical or electronic failure is all it takes.

Last edited by learnedthehardway; 07-14-2017 at 07:52 AM..
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
I think you are adding more drama than is needed. That is not throwing around. I do more than on a test hover. He isn't doing anything wrong and scold me if you want, I do test hovers in my driveway. I make sure nobody is around and do it safely. When I do more, I go to the field and the fun begins!
I'll agree to disagree with you on this. While he may not be piro flipping the machine, he's not just hovering either. He's using some pretty good cyclic deflection in that video and the machine is wandering all over the place.

To say he isn't doing anything wrong is a bit naive IMO. Sorry. This is exactly the kind of stuff you shouldn't be doing with machines this size. A 450, maybe a 500 - ok I can possibly see that. A 700 / 800? No. Absolutely not. Pack it up, take it to a field, and do yourself and neighbors a favor. Even if I didn't know what RC heli's were and I was that guy's neighbor with my kids playing in the yard as he hovered (a maiden flight) an 800 over their head, i'd walk up to the guy and ask him wtf.

Also, if you're ok with this, then you're ok with possibly jeopardizing the hobby for everyone. Thats not an opinion or a slight. That's just the truth. We all know how quickly things can go bad. Whether you're doing it on your property or not is of no difference. You may have a house with a giant yard with neighbors that are far away. That's one thing. This guy doesn't.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCflyer View Post

Also, if you're ok with this, then you're ok with possibly jeopardizing the hobby for everyone. Thats not an opinion or a slight. That's just the truth.
I've been flying in my backyard since the early 80's, yes they have been a bit bigger, but the only thing that I've seen that actually jeopardized the hobby was the creation of drones.
tailblade94 and Thickfog like this.
dirtcurt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegAn View Post
He might say the same thing about people smacking around helis and crashing them.
Desmond and Thickfog like this.
yakky is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Naive, no. Him using some pretty good cyclic, no.
He is doing nothing more than some slow flying. I have been flying for a number of years, so I am not new. Sorry, but I understand this is not an ideal situation, but at the same tI'm no need to over sensationalize the situation either. I have flown and own a variety of helis. I have seen pics of a head being whacked off, so I understand the dangers, but also try no to over react too.
tailblade94 and Thickfog like this.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solmanbandit View Post
Naive, no. Him using some pretty good cyclic, no.
He is doing nothing more than some slow flying. I have been flying for a number of years, so I am not new. Sorry, but I understand this is not an ideal situation, but at the same tI'm no need to over sensationalize the situation either. I have flown and own a variety of helis. I have seen pics of a head being whacked off, so I understand the dangers, but also try no to over react too.
Ok. I guess i'm just over-reacting then. I suppose there really is no issue, after all, with maiden'ing countless 700's and 800's in a yard the size of a two car garage surrounded by houses. Got it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.