Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #201 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wear a bike helmet and think about danger especially when flying alone. Wear eye protection when bench testing. No, these are not things I've learned from bad experiences at least not yet, but plenty of motivation here: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=34727
EndoDusk is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #202 (permalink)
Registered Users

We all crash and it's when you least expect it.
Keep your radio charged and check the voltage before heading to the field.
Preflight / postflight has prevented a crash several times.
Don't rush a new build just to get it completed.
Know your limits and skills...after all, it's you flying not them.
If instinct tells you the part is bad, it probably is.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:23 PM   #203 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are different levels of "knowing your orientations." Even if you can hover upside down & inverted with the nose pointed in any direction, it doesn't mean you can easily recover from any orientation in the sky.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2020, 05:10 AM   #204 (permalink)
Registered Users

I've learned to stay away from parks that have kids and dogs. I've had both run up to me my while my heli was in the air, nothing annoys me more... Kids asking questions when I'm trying to focus, or a dog sniffing my leg
dj80550 likes this.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:10 AM   #205 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Do not stock up on spare parts:

After any crash there is always the one part you do not have that broke or the MANY parts you stock up on that never break.
There a few comments along this line, remember that parts may not be easy or quick to get in all parts of the world. The US appears to have cheap quick shipping and many retailers who carry stock, here in Australia for example that is not the case so stocking up on common parts especially when still crashing a lot can help prevent extended downtime and not make you feel so bad about the mistake you made that now means you have to wait weeks for replacement parts. Free fall rc had a good podcast on hoarding parts recently, someone made the point that having spare parts left when you no longer have or fly that heli is ok because he made the decision to buy them to keep him up and running, and that’s what they did and having some unused down the line is just part of that.

Of course we dont want to waste money but there is a balance that depends on how accessible parts are to you.
RoboHeli likes this.
Ants is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #206 (permalink)
Registered Users

I used to tell folks that I had my own personal hobby store in my basement. Now I think I'll start telling people I have a vintage RC heli museum down there.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #207 (permalink)
Registered Users

After re-reading this entire post, I can say I've learned alot in such as short time from everyone's perspective. Starting this hobby back in 2009 was overwhelming with only some basic airplane experience, but very fortunate I kept at it. Buying a sim and luckily meeting a mentor with 10 years experience helped exponentially. Learning to solder, setups, good tools and basic orientations set the foundation to where I'm at today. To add from the many posts above a few more points:

Knowing a pilot that flies your same model / brand and on your skill level or above is a good network.

Offer advice and share your experience every once in a while, you never know where that will lead down the road.

Always sell something in the forums in the condition you would expect to receive it. Pride is a very good trait to have these days.
trillian likes this.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #208 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't be afraid to make an exit from the hobby and stop pumping in more money for spare parts . Just because it's been a childhood dream of building and flying RC helis means you have or can develop skills for flying one . With some , even practising does not improve and that is the time to call it quits and sell or at least don't buy anymore even when shops are closing down .Must resist the temptation.
Infarcted is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #209 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infarcted View Post
Don't be afraid to make an exit from the hobby and stop pumping in more money for spare parts . Just because it's been a childhood dream of building and flying RC helis means you have or can develop skills for flying one . With some , even practising does not improve and that is the time to call it quits and sell or at least don't buy anymore even when shops are closing down .Must resist the temptation.
Or move on to planes (I actually think you should learn to fly planes before helicopters but that is an other debate or thread)

But as long as you are having fun who cares really if you crash.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:58 AM   #210 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputt maru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infarcted View Post
Or move on to planes (I actually think you should learn to fly planes before helicopters but that is an other debate or thread)

But as long as you are having fun who cares really if you crash.
Planes didn’t help me at all honestly. I mastered a plane (any orientation of flight including inverted within a week of flying casually.)

I am on 1 month 3 weeks on helicopters and still have a long way to go.

Lessons I’ve learned is bugs suck when flying outside, especially wasps. And everyday keep simming and practicing.

This is a years long journey for helis. I’m aiming for 200 hours in the sim atleast this year. I’m at 30 so far since I started (same timeline as helis)
Sycorax is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #211 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't say to your friend, your wife, or your dog: HEY! WATCH THIS!

RoboHeli and blarks like this.
R/C Planes '84-'85, Cars '85-'92, Heli's 2008-Now. AMA Lifetime Member #L1337, IRCHA #3930, Blade 300cfx, Fusion 180, 230S, 230SNight, MCPS, TRex 500e FB, TRex 500L Dominator FBL, & Spektrum DX9. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mentalteleprosy
Squiggy Wigginz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2020, 02:48 PM   #212 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggy Wigginz View Post
Don't say to your friend, your wife, or your dog: HEY! WATCH THIS!

[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/t_fan2.gif[/IMG]
I know the feeling all too well......

Dumped a stretched synergy 766 last week because I tried showing off.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:55 AM   #213 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalSassonic View Post
I've learned to stay away from parks that have kids and dogs. I've had both run up to me my while my heli was in the air, nothing annoys me more... Kids asking questions when I'm trying to focus, or a dog sniffing my leg
Honestly, parents and dog owners should have those two in check. Dogs should be leashed unless the park says they don't have to in which case you really should be flying there. And parents should prevent their kids from disturbing adult strangers...no matter what they are doing.

I think the bigger reason to avoid parks is the general traffic of people and kids. Ultimately, you don't want your accidents hurting people, or create a unwanted presence in a park meant for human occupation and you're just occupying a large chunk of the space to fly.
ebonyseraphim is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #214 (permalink)
Registered Users

Check if youíre in idle up.

I was setting up a friends heli and was testing full positive and negative pitch in the air when suddenly the motor stopped. I was still in normal mode, which I had set up with a 0 point for throttle calibration. Turns out the model autorotates quite well...

One of those things you donít have to worry about when using a vbar control
pach1977 likes this.
mr. mark is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2020, 07:46 PM   #215 (permalink)
Registered Users

I still fail at this but I have to remember to keep bug spray with my flight bag. It's not fun having them land and crawl on you mid-flight. Let alone land on your fingers... and face.
torpicaltrail and Sp4wn like this.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:12 PM   #216 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default What heli related lessons have you learned over the years?

I just learned that leveling the swash and min and max collective makes a BIG difference in stability on sudden pitch maneuvers. Of course itís true, but Iíve never bothered to level it at any position other than mid stick. Call me lazy.

I did this on my Oxy 2. For the longest time it would sag or drag a little during pitch pumps or any other sudden collective pitch command. I had thought it was the tail-heavy CG, which it definitely has, but after spending 3 minutes each at min and max pitch in my FBL (yay integration!) making sure the swash was level there... WOW!! Feels like a different heli almost.

If youíre a newb like me and havenít done this yet, do it!! Iím your FBL you should be able to adjust the individual servosí max and min positions.
MikelG, vultage and CFerry like this.

Last edited by xoexoe; 08-25-2020 at 06:14 PM..
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2020, 02:20 AM   #217 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
I just learned that leveling the swash and min and max collective makes a BIG difference in stability on sudden pitch maneuvers.

If youíre a newb like me and havenít done this yet, do it!!
I recently learned that you could do this with the Ikon in the advanced menu. I've checked 3 of my helis so far. Those models were all perfectly level at high and low pitch after leveling at center. I want to think that I must have setup the linkages to a T, but I guess that it probably has more to do with good engineering from the designers. However, it's good to know that is not always the case, as I was wondering why bother, if they are the same
every time.
MikelG likes this.

470LT, G420, G570, Chronos, T-Rex 600N and 700N
vultage is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #218 (permalink)
Registered Users

I learned to stop fixing it until I break it...

then I learned how to break it really well...
kahn10, MikelG and Beserkr like this.
PTFlyer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #219 (permalink)
Registered Users

When to quit Skookum!
Idaho Spud is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2020, 01:31 PM   #220 (permalink)
Registered Users

Make it a habbit testing the voltage of your flightpack BEFORE flying when you have multiple packs laying around. Mistake can happen once awhile even when you think you separated them. You can destroy or weaken your pack.

Dont' ask me how I know
AllanNg is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in