Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Im going to answer first then go back and read the other replies...

- A Micro heli is not required as an entry level heli. In fact, it might cost more and be more difficult to learn. However the safety factor is better if you are alone in learning. A 360mm to 500mm blade size is a good heli to start with.

- Good Sim time is a huge plus in learning. However a sim cannot truly replicate all of the real life aspects and real stick time is a must.

- All pitch curves including normal and T-hold should be 100% linear full positive and negative. A possible exception might be when first starting out, limit the normal mode to -5 degrees when collective stick is all the way down.

- T-hold must be learned and used at the outset.

- Tail mechanics should be butter smooth through full range of motion.

- Head setup should result in level swash with zero at center stick, and the same amount of positive and negative pitch at each end of stick movement.

- Get the biggest RX pack your heli can handle with top quality brand name. Either LiPo or LiFe. (For larger helis with separate RX bat)

- Fly with a canopy as this absorbs energy in a crash and helps minimize damage.

- Never push yourself. On any given day if you're not feeling it, go fly, but if you have to sit there in a tail in hover the entire flight, do it. You will have an in tact heli and be able to fly again.

- Always land with an auto even if its just a mini auto. In the case of a very small heli, set the skids down and end with T-hold.

- Fly at no more than 45 degrees higher than your line of sight. In this way you will never get the heli directly over your head or behind you.

- Fly with the sun at your back.
tzirancamaro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2017, 03:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't touch a pitot tube with your bare hands while assuming the pitot heat is off. It hurts.
Dylan Hudock likes this.

--Blade 500 3D--Blade 360CFX--Blade 450 3D--Blade 230S--Blade 130S (x2)--Blade MCPX BL--Blade MSR-X--Blade MSR--Estes Proto X--UMX Radian---DX8 Gen 2--Heli-X 4.2 Sim--
helitack32f1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

The only painful lesson I've learned is to keep your finger on throttle hold to prevent it from getting switched off by your body/clothes when you lean over to pick up your heli and have the tx on a neckstrap. Youch!!!!

Blade micros are cheap to buy but you WILL​ have quirks, issues and failures you will not have on a kit heli with halfway decent electronics.

Don't believe everything you hear/read. Tons of outdated, false and biased info out there. Plus nothing is set in stone with these things. Stuff that should work perfectly can be nothing but problems and things that shouldn't work at all can work like magic.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
Learn how to use your​ equipment BEFORE you use it. Then you won't be posting for help and wondering why your maiden flight went to shit.

You'll have way more fun flying a POS beater you don't care about than you will flying a gorgeous, expensive machine you're terrified to crash.

Personal preference is everything. As long as you're being safe there's no right or wrong way to do this stuff. Make safety priority 1 and fun priority 2. One man's heaven is another man's hell. Fly a heli tuned by someone else and you'll see what I mean.
Fbl and tx settings are like a tailored suit that will only fit the owner perfectly. Someone else's may be a good place to start but if you aren't fine tuning your own machine you're missing out on the best feeling in this hobby. When movements flow from brain-sticks-machine like water.
Gustavo Sganzerla likes this.

Last edited by learnedthehardway; 07-09-2017 at 05:25 PM..
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Unplug those damn motor wires. Or, take off those damn blades. I was once stitched up the chest with 360 blades while futzing/adjusting/troubleshooting. Dan
Old 07-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

You will spend more on a 450 than you will on a 700 in the long run.
Andy Sitton likes this.
squeely531 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
Unplug those damn motor wires. Or, take off those damn blades. I was once stitched up the chest with 360 blades while futzing/adjusting/troubleshooting. Dan
And if you think you can hold a 450 tail (mains removed) when at speed and being directed by a gyro, you're wrong.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: SPAM
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

+1 on the heli size, 500+ size to get going on.

I would say also, if you decide this hobby is for you, don't scrimp on the TX.

Its the one bit of equipment that you use despite the addition and subtraction of your fleet. Its the bit you fly, in your hands. If you take care of it, it will last a long time.

You fly it learning the hover on your first heli, all the way to piroflips on your 700!

I find if you look after it and buy well at the beginning, it will be the most constant bit in your kit. I don't know anyone who can outfly their TX.

Kr
Craig
cjm180 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Take your time and get your build/repair mechanically perfect.

If you get stuck with parts or setup, set it down. Come back later and more often than not, you'll get it right away. A fresh brain works better than a frustrated brain.

Always stay aware of the fact that rc helis can kill you. Respect that.

Preflight, preflight, preflight.

Use the sim. People who sim progress faster. I worked overseas and spent several months using sim only. I'd come back and with a few flights to get the feel of things, would start knocking out the maneuvers I worked so hard to learn on the sim. I've been flying for 8 years but only 3 of them have been with actual helicopters.

You don't need a "fleet". Anything more than 4-5 helis is too much maintenance to keep up with. It becomes a pain.

Be polite at the field. If you're flying a lot, you will spend a lot of time with the folks there. Don't be jerk. Help out when you can.

Never ask for a sponsorship. If you're flying at that level and have a good attitude, people will notice. It's not about getting free stuff, it's about being an ambassador and spreading the hobby.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighcopter View Post
And if you think you can hold a 450 tail (mains removed) when at speed and being directed by a gyro, you're wrong.

Yeah… I agree. Pull the motor wires, or take the blades off, all of them.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 10:00 PM.. Reason: SPAM
mqowen is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

Learn what fail/safe is and how to set it.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Fear of flying is worse than crashing.

If weather allows - go and fly one pack !
(Because tomorrow rains, snows, hurricanes, inlaw's come to supprise visit, drinking night, sports event, sexy neighbour invites You over, worlds end, etc. )

Take Transmitter to the field !
Take RX pack also to the field !
Old 07-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't shut radio off before disconnecting batteries. Especially in the house.

--Blade 500 3D--Blade 360CFX--Blade 450 3D--Blade 230S--Blade 130S (x2)--Blade MCPX BL--Blade MSR-X--Blade MSR--Estes Proto X--UMX Radian---DX8 Gen 2--Heli-X 4.2 Sim--
helitack32f1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by helitack32f1 View Post
Don't shut radio off before disconnecting batteries. Especially in the house.
Don't forget to set failsafe.

Last edited by rdlohr; 12-09-2017 at 09:30 PM.. Reason: SPAM
Raleighcopter is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't listen to anyone who says you need a "big" heli to enjoy this hobby.

Don't rush to get out and fly (crash) when starting out. Take your time to learn the basics on the sim first. It makes life easier and certainly cheaper.

Similarly, don't rush your first build and do it properly. Get someone experienced to check it over or at least ask questions on the forum if you are unsure.

Don't put yourself under too much pressure to keep progressing. It's just for fun so make sure you are enjoying the experience.

Don't get into the mindset of crashing unless you particularly enjoy it. For the most part it's an optional part of the hobby. But also don't stress out too much when you do actually crash occasionally! It's just an opportunity to upgrade or carry out some over-due maintenance.

Only spend as much money as you can afford to lose!

Have at least one other hobby to prevent you from going insane!

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Maintenance is cheaper than crashing.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bench test thoroughly.

Remove both mains and tails one right after the other. Got distracted once after removing the mains and forgot the tails. That tail is FAST and STRONG! Laptop saved my arm. Changed underwear shortly after removing the tail blades.

Take your time setting up both at the field and on the bench.

Most of the time it takes less time removing a few parts to get access to buried areas vs trying to fight with a 1/4 turn just because you don't want to remove parts.

Many times I've found other potential issues while looking or fixing something unrelated.

Make repairs/order parts as soon as possible while it's fresh in your mind.

Stay focused on setup at the field and try not to talk while doing preflights or powering up!

I always feel better once the helis are put together and ready to fly.

Fight through the bug stings, bites, and "fly-overs and collisions"

Don't build or repair over a carpeted area.

Trust your gut.

Always land Skids Down!

Oxy3 285, Oxy4Stretch, Oxy4Max, Oxy5-520 6S, Urukay Triple head, Goblin 770 Sport.
FlatCrank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Preflight .. found different things before flight
Sim helped me a ton
If going into a maneuver and something doesn't feel right just bail out fly away in 1 piece.
buy quality
Trex150,MCPX,2Trex450s,Trex500flybar, Dominator 550L Ikon FBL,Goblin380,2Goblin 500s Ikon,Goblin 570Carbon Ikon,Goblin 630Ikon,Goblin700Ikon,Futaba14SG,Futaba 8J,DX7S,308 duo,208B,IChargers,BalsaUSA40 Pheaton Biplane,40"Ugly Stick,Blackfoot truck
97windsor is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
RAM
Registered Users

When plugging higher amp/volt batts into your charger, plug the balance cable in first. If the other end has EC5's (or similar capacity) and for whatever reason something goes wrong - you will be glad you did...I'm speaking from experience...

Rage RC Field Rep
RAM is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 03:35 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Always respect others (unless they're complete jerks)

Be safe!

There's never a dumb question if you don't know the answer. Don't be afraid to ask questions

Crashing can be expensive but don't be afraid of it, try new maneuvers. That's the only way you'll get better

Practice on the sim a lot (I do)

Have fun! That's why everyone started.
apache1998 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2017, 06:09 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't force yourself to practice autos if you don't want to. Baby-autos, yes, but full autos mishaps have been responsible for most of the damage I've done recently.

Just because classifieds are a smoking hot deal (relative to new prices) doesn't mean they're a good deal if you don't actually like the equipment you bought.

Batteries. Cheap ones can work well, expensive ones can still fail. Ones just slightly too small/large/wrong cell count/weak will sit around unused while helis still need more batteries to fly. Just accept that you have to buy right, and treat them well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm180 View Post
I would say also, if you decide this hobby is for you, don't scrimp on the TX.
I don't know, I still use the cheapo MZ-12 I bought first (after trying three others). I'm not convinced you can get a lot better, other than fancy adjustable gimbals and easier-to-use user interfaces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in