Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree351Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpaulmo View Post
I will never voluntarily climb into a real helicopter. This hobby has convinced me there are just too many moving parts, any one of which can fail with catastrophic results.
RC and full-scale are totally different worlds. I can say it first-hand. RC and full-scale are totally different worlds. I think most (or all) pilots who fly both will agree with me. Have I said RC and full-scale are totally different worlds?

Cheers!

Compass 7HV / Atom 6HVU / Atom 5.5 / Align Trex 500L / Spektrum DX8
ARM_Coder is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcurt View Post
Personally I'm impressed with cheap RC helicopters!
So am I, but the little pilots inside mine would all actually be dead now! Was pilot error in every case though so serves them right
Heliman2365 likes this.

DX8, BeastX, Heli-X, neXt
peteski is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #63 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteski View Post
So am I, but the little pilots inside mine would all actually be dead now! Was pilot error in every case though so serves them right
Classic!

Rick
rdlohr is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 10:48 PM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

For young eyes, those little birds are great and cheap to learn on. For us guys with old eyes, the little guys get "lost" too easily and we can't see orientation. For old eyes, I wouldn't recommend anything less than 425 blade size. Dan
Old 07-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

That is why I prefer to fly the 550 more than the 450. I feel that I have to fly the 450 closer to me to see it better. It looks like a stick when its further away. Another thing is that it flies faster than a 550 and I don't want it too close to me for safety reasons. The 550 can fly really big and I can fly large diameter hurricanes and funnels with it.

Get your eyes checked regularly! Walmart has a cheap eye doctor and can get you prescription glasses.

Don't get contacts! Your eyes may dry out on the field with wind and not blinking your eyes due to concentration!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM_Coder View Post
RC and full-scale are totally different worlds. I can say it first-hand. RC and full-scale are totally different worlds. I think most (or all) pilots who fly both will agree with me. Have I said RC and full-scale are totally different worlds?

Cheers!
The closest thing to a pitch pump I have ever done was not in a real helicopter but that ride at California Adventure park that shoots you straight up then down in about 150-200 feet. I did it once. I came off the ride thinking I would have hit the ground and never knew it was coming.
dirtcurt is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtcurt View Post
Align bearing block screws MUST be heated with an iron or they will strip. No matter how little or much locker used.
Just leaned this on the metal tail housing on the 470lm. Not happy.
Thickfog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Building helis is a lot of fun.
You don't need a large heli to have fun at the flying field.
You don't need to be a 3D master to have fun at the flying field.
Puttering around the pattern doing figure 8's is OK.
Don't listen to the slug that says if you aren't crashing you aren't learning.
Crashing is not fun.
Fixing crashed helis is NOT fun, especially for the wallet
Wrenching on helis to make sure they are in top notch flying condition is fun.
Watching pilots with more skill than I have is fun.
Saving to buy the next heli is fun.
Waiting for the UPS/FedEx guy is not fun.
What we do is a hobby. No DRAMA is necessary.
Invite your spouse to the field. Even if the invite is declined the offer means a lot.
Learning how to work with a FBL unit can be both fun and extremely frustrating.
I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Tyler, Nick, Tauseef, Nick, Tim, Randy, Matt and Amy, Alex and John, Gorgon and Ron, Alan Butler, The RCHN gang, Steve and Pam, Hillbilly and Cindy, Ross and Shana, Gus, Adam and Colleen, Chris Sexton, Terry Robinette, Bob White, Matt Jost

Last edited by whitehedr; 09-26-2017 at 10:28 AM..
whitehedr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

^ Well said!!

Math is hard.
Twin Rexx Chinooks, mCX, mCPX
MariaFan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2017, 11:29 PM   #70 (permalink)
HF Support

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Building helis is a lot of fun.
You don't need a large heli to have fun at the flying field.
You don't need to be a 3D master to have fun at the flying field.
Puttering around the pattern doing figure 8's is OK.
Don't listen to the slug that says if you aren't crashing you aren't learning.
Crashing is not fun.
Fixing crashed helis is NOT fun, especially for the wallet
Wrenching on helis to make sure they are in top notch flying condition is fun.
Watching pilots with more skill than I have is fun.
Saving to buy the next heli is fun.
Waiting for the UPS/FedEx guy is not fun.
What we do is a hobby. No DRAMA is necessary.
Invite your spouse to the field. Even if the invite is declined the offer means a lot.
Learning how to work with a FBL unit can be both fun and extremely frustrating.
I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Tyler, Nick, Tauseef, Nick, Tim, Randy, Matt and Amy, Alex and John, Gorgon and Ron, Alan Butler, The RCHN gang, Steve and Pam, Hillbilly and Cindy, Ross and Shana, Gus, Adam and Colleen, Chris Sexton, Terry Robinette, Bob White, Matt Jost
Great post. So true (especially the parts bolded).
Old 09-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

When you set up your FBL, learn how the tail moves and make sure the tail moves in the right direction when it compensates. Also make sure the tail moves in the right direction and the gyro compensates. Learn how the gyro moves the tail. When in doubt, take extra time to make sure you know how the FBL gyro moves the tail.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

"What heli related lessons have you learned over the years?"What heli related lessons have you learned over the years?

In my case, 41 years of playing with these things...

1) Build your helicopters, don't just assemble them. Take time and pride in building, and use patience. Make sure that all sub-assemblies are working properly BEFORE putting them on the machine. Hand fit things, shim gears, ream links, etc. Build the machine as though it has to last into the next century.

This goes for any brand of machine.

2) Fly the way YOU fly. When the local hotshot would show up at the field, half the guys would spend the next year trying to fly like that person.

It's ok to be influenced by great pilots, but don't forget to develop your own style.

3) If you rep a product, make sure that it is something that you believe in, are passionate about, and use yourself. Don't just rep a product for a discount.

4) Enjoy every step in the hobby. Enjoy each flight as you progress-this is a hobby and is supposed to be fun.

5) You can't have too many helicopters.

6) Use the best equipment you can afford. Better/more precise transmitters, better servos, etc.ABSOLUTELY DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Cheap, imprecise electronics/flavor of the month servos make things more difficult-the FBL unit has to work harder and the pilot has to work harder.

Reliability and safety are the goals-not squeezing the penny until Lincoln's head screams.

7) Setup/Tuning is everything. This goes hand-in-hand with #6 (above). Take your time to do a precise bench setup. Get the swashplate level. Make sure that the relationship between the servo arms and the pushrods is EXACTLY correct. Set the pitch for BOTH BLADES on the bench (there is no reason to EVER have to track blades on a modern model helicopter).

8) Just good enough, isn't.

9) The best part of helicopter events are the people that you meet.

10) Safety should come above all other things.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. Practice - Practice overcomes fear and the adrenaline shakes
  2. Gear - Use common setups and don't re-invent the wheel. The latest/greatest doesn't help you as much as practice.
  3. Goals - Goals are important but only if you're having fun. If you aren't having fun then do something else.
  4. Costs - buy reliability and functional needs over nice to have. By the time you're ready for the extra whistles and bells you'll be ready for different gear/models anyway.
Tman49, CZorzella and vultage like this.
Jerry Moore, AMA #878954,TARANIS OpenTX- Pantera 600 FB - Pantera .60 FB - Takes a licking and keeps on kicking! KISSAM = Keep It Simple Stupid: Affordable, Maintainable -
Visit Early and often - http://open-txu.org
Jermo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 01:36 AM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

For me, who spend some 4-5 years in the rc heli hobby starting with 450 and later 250 sizes, being clumsy and really don't get motivated by training in SIM, I have to fly to feel good. Then I spend so much time in repair and tuning I was getting tired of it all. Now since some 6 months I am stepping down to 100 size helis and its the right for me, I can crash 50-70 times and just lift it up and continue. Its fantastic they don't break! I started with HobbyKing, not bad but really too crappy now I am in to Walkera but Align and other should also work. I am not flying my 250s or 450s until I got my 100s where I want them.
KarAlb is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I started out with Walkera,.. but I found that I ended up spending soo much $$$ replacing the little cheap plastic parts, as if they were designed to break! They didn't cost much,. but it was a constant, and added up! When I finally smartened up, and bought quality branded helis,.. that all went away! The initial cost was much more,.. but after that,.. I didn't have to fix it almost every flight!!! Woot, imagine that?!?!?!

Of course,. a major difference being, LOTS of sim time,.. and Rescue(Ikon) Crashes were very few, and far in between!

470LT, G420, G570, Chronos, T-Rex 600N and 700N
vultage is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

hm... not sure we can be talking about the same thing.
My experience is these new 100 size micro helis are amazingly durable. In the end I can ware them down, but that take many crashes, and I never get any spare parts, just get a new unit. They are deliberately designed to withstand crashes but their low weight should also help I guess. I learned this pretty recently, last summer.

P.S.This is true if you fly over grass lawns but not on hard concrete grounds etc
vultage likes this.

Last edited by KarAlb; 10-15-2017 at 02:06 AM..
Old 10-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaFan View Post
#1 fact of this thread.
It's why I'm happy with just puttering around in the front yard.
I agree. To me each flight is enjoyable, regardless of whether I am just hovering and doing slow simple maneuvers in my driveway or if I am on a large field doing more complex maneuvers and fast flight. All phases of the hobby should be enjoyable, whether it be flying 3D, sport or scale flying or doing repairs.
MariaFan likes this.
Desmond is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 10:05 AM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

"hm... not sure we can be talking about the same thing. "

Ahhh,.. One of my Favs,.. the MiniCP was my model of choice back then. I had 3 and multiples of parts, cause it was so much fun in the house, I didn't want to Not fly,.. lol. Still have one, but I've been having more fun flying bigger now. Those for sure take alot of beating!!!! I was talking about the next sizes up, 4F200LM, and the V450D03. However, the V450, was a super heli to learn basic flying, with its semi, self leveling.

470LT, G420, G570, Chronos, T-Rex 600N and 700N
vultage is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes! that sounds more like it.
I think one of the things it did for me was to lose the respect and fear of crashing.
vultage likes this.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't come out and try to have casual conversation with me when I am flying.

First thing I do when my heli is down is unplug the battery. I don't like people coming out to talk to me when I am going through my routine. I've seen people take an energized heli to the pits with the TX still on because they got distracted and forgot what they were doing.
LethalSassonic and denis747 like this.
crasher47 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in