Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > Main Forum - Helicopter Talk

Main Forum - Helicopter Talk R/C Helicopters and the people who fly them. VENDOR TOPICS DO NOT GO HERE. Full Scale Heli threads go in OT please

Like Tree399Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered Users

Always pitch pump and rudder pump after fbl init to make sure all servos are working properly.

Never make big changes at the beginning of the day at the field. Wait until the end (ie: dont screw something up early, ruining your whole day)

Check screws regularly. Even if they are loctite.
roadracer96 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatta View Post
-patience

-being humble

-she can either look good on the ground or be light enough to handle herself in the air. sometimes you just have to choose

-when being taught something, learn what's being taught not how to modify "your way" with it.

-if something sounds or feels wrong immediately land and check it out because that "one more second" doesnt usually last a second.

-the habits I learn in my hobby if done right can carry into my everyday life.

-I'm honored to be part of this because the basic skills needed are above average, the people associated with it are above average and the hobby itself isn't common.

-when my t-rex is in the air in front of me and I do something like banking hard to turn and it looks so beautiful I'm not having a heart attack

-I'm truly having an experience of having something "take my breath away".

thank you and it is truly an honor guys

👍👏👏👏
CZorzella is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #163 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote: The simple act of being able to lift one of these machines off the ground and land it in one piece is some what of a skill that many can't manage.

This comment made me feel better. Having a hard time progressing......
MikelG and Beserkr like this.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #164 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you fly higher you’ll crash less often.
xoexoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #165 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoexoe View Post
If you fly higher you’ll crash less often.
…but harder when you do LOL
Old 08-29-2019, 03:21 AM   #166 (permalink)
Registered Users

Read manual,

Read instructions,

read Read reAd
alibaloch94 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #167 (permalink)
Registered Users

The lessons I've learned over the years and never seems to change is helicopters over the years is nothing is new for more than a year to a couple( some exceptions of course). Then they come out with a version that has small changes or they copy another's design without making a clone. Kinda why I dont get the clone comments most of the time.
Also, when you fly planes it doesn't matter how old it is plane guys appreciate it, if they like the style that is. Helicopter guys are not the same. If your not flying the latest and greatest your just in the way. Now that's not saying that's the case every time but I've always recieved help when I flew planes on technical issues or general questions. Helicopter pilots, not so much. Most seem annoyed that you are talking to them about a helicopter they dont own. (Even if they owned before they dont seem to want to help)

Someone asked on a forum "why the hobby is dying off?" It's not shipping, it's not cost or the lack of interest in the hobby. It's the people from what I see. The older generation is way more helpful and social. Today it seems noone has time for a stranger who shares your passion for the hobby. They have passion for their own personal hobby.

If you find a good club then stay! If you like something your flying dont give it up because others dont and find someone who does.

This is what I've learned over the years. I didnt cause it but I see and deal with it regularly. This is a hobby better enjoyed when we can help someone who doesnt have the knowledge that can help them improve.
Wingmanrc39 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #168 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't waste money on micros.

Last edited by Smoggie; 09-05-2019 at 02:11 AM..
Smoggie is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #169 (permalink)
Registered Users

I dont agree that it's because the older generation is more helpful. It's because the younger generation is lazy. (I'm 40 so pit me in whichever category you want).

You can get a cheap quad that flies itself and you dont really need to "learn" how to do much beyond installing batteries or you can get a heli that requires real commitment. I'm not saying that is the case with all quad/fpv but I'm pretty certain that most people that try helis have unrealistic expectations about the learning curve. They fly it once or twice and crash it once or twice then toss it. I was almost in that situation 4yrs ago. I bought a 450. Flew it 4 times and crashed it 3 then put it in a box for a couple years. About 1.5yrs ago I tried it again and really put in some energy and I think (now) I'm pretty damn good for a newbie. 🙂
Ram_Wagon likes this.
roadracer96 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #170 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Don't waste money on micros.
I luurve my micros and nanos.

They're cheap, they can be flown anywhere, they're easy to work on, when they crash it's no big deal and most of all, they're fun.
MikelG likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #171 (permalink)
Registered Users

I buy what I like and I fly what I buy

Common sense is common sense.

THE END
FIN
Rchelixyz is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 AM   #172 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrowka View Post
I luurve my micros and nanos.

They're cheap, they can be flown anywhere, they're easy to work on, when they crash it's no big deal and most of all, they're fun.
Funny how people have different perceptions of things. Your observations are pretty much the exact oposite of mine:

I found micros:
  1. Sensitive to wind so less opportunity to fly them
  2. Poor/cheap build quality making them temperamental and prone to random failure.
  3. Tricky to fly so crash far FAR more often.
  4. Not nearly as 'crash proof' as some would claim
  5. Due to points 2, 3 and 4 above they were money pits, constantly on the workbench and cost more in maintenance/repair than my a 700.
  6. Horrible to work on with tiny fragile parts and microscopic screws that strip if you look at them funny.
  7. 'fly like crap' compared to a big heli
  8. Intensely frustrating to own

Each to their own of course but this is my experience.I find that most guys (not all but most) who rave about micros simply havent tried a big heli yest.. Once they do they usually change their minds
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #173 (permalink)
Registered Users

Agree and disagree.

Yes the bigger helis are way better and fly much better. Indeed I crash my 570 less often than smaller helis. One because it just floats in the air and feels like I have time to recover and two because the performance is much better. However I have struggled to get them to fly the way I want due to tons of FBL parameters to tune and how temperamental it can get.

The micros usually have a dumbed-down FBL unit which is super simple to tune. So they are easier to get on the air flying decent and most times perfect out to the box. Yes crash them way more often but a Blade Nano S2 has survived tons of crashes with zero damage. And then fixing them, although the screws are tiny, is super simple on a small table. No head resetting after that it just works with simple tweaks.

Also bigger helis are way more expensive. If I had devoted myself to micros I would have two or three of the same and be constantly with a good heli. As I would amass tons of spares (common to get multiples of each when buying spares) I would be able to get quickly on the air. If I had multiple Align 150X's I would probably be flying non-stop. BTW that heli flies REALLY well for its size and is the first heli I attempted an inverted funnel on real life and was able to do it after tons of sim training.

I also loved that I could take my Nano and go on the backyard and pull a few flights. If it rained during the weekend and I could not get out I could still fly because, as fate would have it, it shines perfect and beautiful sun during the week then pours rain on the weekend.

So that's the good side.

I have a love/hate relationship with micros because they are super convenient but they really show how poor skills I have. They require much more control to be able to fly. Then if you crash them it's hard to troubleshoot the issue if not flying correctly. And after a few surviving crashes it won't fly as well so will need some work. I have to admit the 150X is really good and can pull off anything I ask of it but also runs at a very high headspeed so if it crashes it usually goes out of service, even on grass. The Nano S2 will crash and fly much more often but does not have the performance of the 150X.

I think though the "money pit" may be deceiving. You can afford multiple crashes on a micro for the cost of a single crash on a big heli. I still think owning a micro is much more affordable than a big heli. And if you DO manage to fly proficient on a micro, highly likely your skill will show a lot more on a big heli and your crash ratio will reduce dramatically as well.

So there are advantages and disadvantages so just wanted to point that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Old_Man View Post
Funny how people have different perceptions of things. Your observations are pretty much the exact oposite of mine:

I found micros:
  1. Sensitive to wind so less opportunity to fly them
  2. Poor/cheap build quality making them temperamental and prone to random failure.
  3. Tricky to fly so crash far FAR more often.
  4. Not nearly as 'crash proof' as some would claim
  5. Due to points 2, 3 and 4 above they were money pits, constantly on the workbench and cost more in maintenance/repair than my a 700.
  6. Horrible to work on with tiny fragile parts and microscopic screws that strip if you look at them funny.
  7. 'fly like crap' compared to a big heli
  8. Intensely frustrating to own

Each to their own of course but this is my experience.I find that most guys (not all but most) who rave about micros simply havent tried a big heli yest.. Once they do they usually change their minds
Mrowka likes this.
Team Aeropanda / Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 03:12 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered Users

I crash the bigger helis less than the smaller helis because I am much more risk-adverse flying the larger ones. Probably because repairs are a grande pain.

I also like the twitchy way the nanos fly. Even micros sometimes seem like a dancing bear by comparison.

I also live in North Dakota, so outdoor flying is a non-option for a goodly chunk of the year. Even if there were no winter winds whipping out of Northern Canada, flying in -40F weather is less than fun sometimes. If there is daylight, that is.

Nanos can be flown indoors, any time, day or night, so that isn't a problem. And if the weather breaks and you have ten minutes free from chasing children, bust out with the nano and head for the backyard! No need to organize a safari to the flying field.

Anyway, fly what you like.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #175 (permalink)
Registered Users

1. Maintenance is a must. Even when there is no maintenance, something needs maintaining.
2. Wether its big or small, it takes $$ to fly.
3. If it has wings or a rotor, it will require paperwork.

Hmmm... Just like the real thing?

Flying RC Heli has prepared me in so many ways to manage real life equipment and logistics!
Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 PM   #176 (permalink)
Registered Users

All model helicopters, from micros through very large machines, aerobatic and scale, have something to offer.

Each design it different in its own way and reflects the engineering skills and goals of its designer and manufacturer.

I may fly an Nano CPX one day and a 700 the next, they are all interesting and all cool in some way.

The micros vary in their abilities (including stability and aerobatic abilities) but they are a lot of fun-this one (on the larger end of the spectrum for a micro) demonstrates a good deal of precision and stability (as shown in this hovering video) and is also very aggressive in a more open space. I have not crashed it yet, so I cannot comment on that.

OOMPHING Around in the backyard... (3 min 31 sec)
Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #177 (permalink)
Registered Users

I forgot the other reason that micros and nanos will always have a place in my heart - they made r/c helicopters practicable for a lot of people who wouldn't otherwise have been able to start, and they make teaching oneself to fly a real possibility.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #178 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have found that there is too much false tech info posted.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:11 AM   #179 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like this......

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle. Robert Anthony.
Heliwhisperer is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2019, 09:25 PM   #180 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you're flying with airplanes, land and get your heli off of the runway in a timely fashion in case a plane has a dead stick or needs to have an emergency landing.

Guy was flying a pattern plane today and his flight battery ejected right as I was starting my auto. I brought it down and off of the runway while he tried to muscle his now tail heavy plane onto the runway. I was at least 100ft away from where he landed but it could have been very different if it was a gasser with a dead stick.
BuildFlyCrashRepeat is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in