Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 330X

Blade 330X Blade 330X Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashalotjoe View Post
As far as I can see from their web site, this heli doesn't have their SAFE system so I don't think they are catering for beginners. They even say they are aiming this at intermediate pilots.
Sorry for the confusion, I did not intend to imply that this is a true beginner helicopter, I was building on my previous statements where I was pointing out the long list of helicopters Blade makes, from the coaxial helis, the Scout CX and the mCX2 and fixed pitch helis like mSR S, and 200S, on through the current 130S, 230S and 250cfx. They have a heli for nearly every conceivable beginner on the planet and no one even comes close to offering as many choices at so many different price levels. The new 330X would be a great next step after some combination of the previously mentioned helis.
Also, I do not see SAFE as an absolute necessity on an intermediate heli, especially if its lack of inclusion means a more accessible price.

Quote:
I really don't think they are putting in any effort to revive the market as you suggest. There is no innovation here, nothing to make it easier for newbies to get into heli's and nothing to satisfy the intermediate pilots they are apparently aiming at.
This market ceases to exist without new pilots entering the hobby. Look through the list of helis offered by Blade, beginning at $49 and running up to $600 and tell me how they are not helping bring new people into this hobby.
The "innovation" here is a company that uses existing parts to help keep prices in check and offer accessible helis for every experience level at prices people can afford. That will and does bring people into this hobby. As for the 330X, SAFE, as I said before, is not an absolute necessity in an intermediate heli. If it keeps the price down and makes a persons next step easier to acquire, no big loss.

Quote:
Most manufacturers are putting the effort in to come up with new stuff (some more successfully than others) to drive the market forwards. Horizon are not. It's just a cynical attempt to flog more sub-standard and aged junk to people who don't have the experience to know good from bad.
There is a place for innovators that "drive the market forward" (Examples please?) And there is a place for a company that as of this moment has 15(!) freaking different helis available and accessible prices for those entering and continuing in this hobby! Can you name any other company that has such a high number of different helicopters on offer? Keep in mind, these are being offered during what seems to be a very down market for such helicopters in the first place.

Quote:
Why take something that is outdated and push it back onto the market when, if they had spent any development cash at all, they could have developed the 230S concept further or perhaps the 360CFX if they wanted to sell into the intermediate BNF market.
Just out of curiosity, did you know they were going to upgrade and re-release the mCP heli? Did you know they were planning on upgrading and reworking the 450X for the intermediate market and calling it the 330X? My guess is no. So, it is possible that they are indeed working on things like you suggest they should. Or, they have decided it is not currently in their best interest to do so. Either way, you don't know.

Last question: you clearly do not like Blade helis, so, why enter the Blade helis forum, then enter a thread on a helicopter you have no interest in, by a company you don't like and then bother to make negative comments about it? Bored?

--Blade 500 3D--Blade 360CFX--Blade 450 3D--Blade 230S--Blade 130S (x2)--Blade MCPX BL--Blade MSR-X--Blade MSR--Estes Proto X--UMX Radian---DX8 Gen 2--Heli-X 4.2 Sim--
helitack32f1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab223 View Post
The booms are known to slip and effect belt tension if left stock.
I've never had mine slip once in over 200 flights. "?"
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas4 View Post
Mine slipped no matter how tight I got the screws even with layers of tape on the end of the boom to build it up and give it more grip.. I ended up using a small hose clamp on the boom and jammed up against the back of the frame. The boom slipping in to the stock plastic frame was not uncommon.
Mike680 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

There are a lot of people who seem to not like the idea of SAFE and that "intermediate skill level" does not require it.

Blade have a lot of helis in their "Intermediate" range.

Nano CPS
mCPS
120S
130S
230S
230S Night
250CFX

Which ones of these do not have SAFE/rescue?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:18 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am genuinely pleased for you.

But there are lots of reports in the B450 and 450x forums. I have owned both models. Remedies include using tape, adding an extra aluminum boom clamp or using larger and longer bolts put right through the frame and secured with nuts.

There is nothing sturdy/secure, long term, for holding belt tension on the stock B450s.
wab223 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

But there are lots of reports in the B450 and 450x forums. I have owned both models. Remedies include using tape, adding an extra aluminum boom clamp or using larger and longer bolts put right through the frame and secured with nuts.

There is nothing sturdy/secure, long term, for holding belt tension on the stock B450s.
What I finally ended up doing was buying a second set of metal tail servo boom clamp mounts and using one jammed up against the back of the frame. I cut off the mounting arm and it worked perfectly. It looked much better than the cheesy hose clamp I had on it before. I didn't really need it when I rebuilt my 450X on the Lynx frame, but I used it anyway.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by helitack32f1 View Post
Last question: you clearly do not like Blade helis, so, why enter the Blade helis forum, then enter a thread on a helicopter you have no interest in, by a company you don't like and then bother to make negative comments about it? Bored?
You're right, I'm not in the Blade market these days but I am passionate about heli's and I do want to see new blood coming into the hobby. For that to happen there needs to be a good set of options in the BNF market which is where a lot of people (most?) start.

I don't believe this heli offers anything useful to the BNF buyer with its old technology and lack of SAFE. Possibly its only advantage may be price.

I'm not anti Blade, I grew up with them and still have plenty of them but, as I say, I've moved on and don't fly them these days.

I want to see something that moves the BNF market forward and gives new pilots a good experience so they stay around but this just doesn't do that. That's why I am annoyed with Horizon and felt a comment to that effect was warranted.

So many things to fly, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashalotjoe View Post
I don't believe this heli offers anything useful to the BNF buyer with its old technology and lack of SAFE. Possibly its only advantage may be price.
Yes, the airframe mechanics are "old tech", but they did work and flew pretty well. My old original V1 450X was fairly decent for what it was. The real weakness was in the crappy plastic geared servos, motor and ESC. Except for the absolute crap ass E-flite 440H motor, they've improved the electronics with decent H3050 and 3060 metal geared servos and a new, stronger ESC that James Haley said has a governor in their promo video. The AR636 unit works great in the 230S/250CFX, so hopefully it will in the 330X. IMO, the BNF version should be about a hundred bucks cheaper at $299 instead of $389.

That said, I'm not a fan at all of Blade these days, but I do have a soft spot for the old 450X. I do hope the 330X turns out to be at least an okay heli for people looking to get into their first FBL 450 class heli.

Last edited by Mike680; 07-21-2017 at 12:02 AM..
Old 07-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Finally a flybarless Heli that doesn't have a complicated flybarless system to figure out and program. I said I never would do this but this has got me thinking. I have a tricked out B450 and I'm wondering, will we be able to convert our B450's to FBL using the AR636A..?, and will it be available as a separate unit later on...?

FG
Yes...you can convert...it's based on the same main frame platform...

Yes...its the same FBL used in the 250CFX...available already
Old 07-21-2017, 12:38 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post

Physically, it may be the same FBL unit, but you can't ignore the firmware that may or may not even make it flyable. The AR636 units are customized (non-user adjustable) for many different models and they're even used by Horizon on E-flite airplanes. My 1.2M T-28 Trojan uses the same exact AR636 unit. The firmware from Horizon/E-flite/Blade is different for each model. You can't just schlap an AR636 from a 250CFX on to something like a 330X without new/different firmware because it definitely can't be tuned like a real full-featured FBL unit even like the ancient AR7200BX.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike680 View Post
Physically, it may be the same FBL unit, but you can't ignore the firmware that may or may not even make it flyable. The AR636 units are customized (non-user adjustable) for many different models and they're even used by Horizon on E-flite airplanes. My 1.2M T-28 Trojan uses the same exact AR636 unit. The firmware from Horizon/E-flite/Blade is different for each model. You can't just schlap an AR636 from a 250CFX on to something like a 330X without new/different firmware because it definitely can't be tuned like a real full-featured FBL unit even like the ancient AR7200BX.
The question was conversion of the 450X using 330X components
Old 07-21-2017, 04:47 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytro97 View Post
First of all, The 270 and 360 really need nothing in terms upgrades.(hence no demand -no market)They are closest to the Pro Series in terms of quality and probably the best made bind and fly heli's that blade has made to date.
As for the 330 I have no desire to get one... the 270 and 360 are more for my liking with their design and quality.
But for someone in the learning curve the 330 may fit the bill.

Your missing the point YES !! Oxy,Sab,Mikado, Proto's are great well built birds Never said they weren't. All with their own set of different quirks or draw backs.
For now I like my $330.00 270cfx and it fly's fabulous.
Think so? How many have changed to a better swash in the 360 because of slop after a couple hundred flights? A better tail? How many have changed to better servos on both models? Do you still have 3050s on yours? I owned the 360 and if that was close to the pro series that Blade offered, I see why it didn't last long. Although a pretty good flying heli after I swapped all electronics, the frame didn't seem like it had the tolerances that my kit helis have and really just looks different that any heli I have ever owned, almost clunky like. For the 270, my guess is that is the best Blade offers, albeit shitty/sloppy servos...if you don't believe that and you still have 3050s when you switch you will see what I mean after you see how responsive and control you now have.

I haven't missed any point. I said the 330 is a good next step up from their true beginner helis, but it is still built in nearly the same way. If money is what stops you from getting a comparable kit to your 270, like an Oxy 3 or Goblin 280, got it. However, in most cases it is being afraid to make a move to an area that initially you realize how little you know about setting up a heli...not saying that is you. This is not just me saying any of this, go to the main forum and ask how many started with Blade and left to go to kits. The value you get is awesome with Blade, probably the best in the market, assuming no issues. However, the reward, control, durability, dependability, reliability will never compare to what you can build on your own...it is not even fair to compare. By the way, an Oxy 3 Tareq edition BNF just sold in the used section for $300. That is value!

I also said if you like flying Blade helis to fly on. But I can make the comparison because like many, I have built and flown both. When you can say that maybe you will "get my point".

I think Blade has been doing relatively well for helping the beginner market, although the 130s was a serious let down and a recent release and the cps not much different. Even still, they bring nearly everyone into this hobby, so they can't be all that bad. I say embrace the idea with what they are. If you fly helis in their inventory doesn't make you a beginner pilot, but their helis should be titled no differently. By your example of the 270 being close to the pro-class says it all, to me. A near complete beginner can buy one of these, bind it, tame it down a bit and fly it. So beginner from more than one angle...they provide avenues for beginners to get into upper level models without having to do much of anything to get going. Not that the same can't be done with an Oxy as a comparison, but there you will be forced to learn along the way. They are a "beginner" company and they are actually very good at it.

Last edited by jrman83; 07-21-2017 at 05:17 AM..
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 AM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

If you see the picture of my Blade450 on pg 2 of this forum, I have the tail servo mounted inside the frame at the back and I'm using a CNC tail servo mount. It can't slip that way. If you mount on the boom...then maybe it might slip.

Quote:

Nice I'll convert instead of buying the whole new Heli.

FG
Old 07-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Finally a flybarless Heli that doesn't have a complicated flybarless system to figure out and program. I said I never would do this but this has got me thinking. I have a tricked out B450 and I'm wondering, will we be able to convert our B450's to FBL using the AR636A..?, and will it be available as a separate unit later on...?

FG
That's my thinking too.

As for anyone who's saying this is a bad idea for blade. There are sooo many people who fly their helis, and wouldn't be in the hobby if it wasn't for Blade. That's a fact. I wouldnt be in this hobby at all if it wasn't for them. I made my progression to CP with them, and haven't quite gotten to a higher quality heli yet, but I don't feel the need to yet either. I'm perfectly happy with their products and they do everything I want/need them too. I fly my 130X the most. I'm picking up a 300CFX and a 180CFX to add to my fleet today.
kuzican is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The question was conversion of the 450X using 330X components
And, my response was regarding your claim that the 250CFX FBL unit is the "same" when it's not due to different firmware. The servo layouts (reversing, link geometry, etc) are radically different between the two frames. Then there's the difference in weight, blade size, vastly different tail mechanisms, etc, and all will need different tune settings, which aren't currently adjustable in the AR636. This is exactly why it was such a PITA to install in the Lynx frame for the 230S even though it was the "same" heli.

Quote:
Old 07-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
Think so? How many have changed to a better swash in the 360 because of slop after a couple hundred flights? A better tail? How many have changed to better servos on both models? Do you still have 3050s on yours? I owned the 360 and if that was close to the pro series that Blade offered, I see why it didn't last long.
No, the 360CFX wasn't that close to the Pro Series at all. My 550X came with an all metal tail, swash and a great TT drive system for starters. You could also get it non-combo style with zero electronics except for the stock motor, which has been great, and the stock BEC which worked fine even though I didn't end up using it. I added my own servos, FBL unit and ESC without having to pay for or replace any stock junk. The Pro Series were the only Blade helis in history to give you that option and it was quite nice.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzican View Post
That's my thinking too.

As for anyone who's saying this is a bad idea for blade. There are sooo many people who fly their helis, and wouldn't be in the hobby if it wasn't for Blade. That's a fact. I wouldnt be in this hobby at all if it wasn't for them. I made my progression to CP with them, and haven't quite gotten to a higher quality heli yet, but I don't feel the need to yet either. I'm perfectly happy with their products and they do everything I want/need them too. I fly my 130X the most. I'm picking up a 300CFX and a 180CFX to add to my fleet today.
I couldn't agree more with you. Blade started the whole thing for me. It suits my needs from a price point. Sure I can afford to buy a higher end heli but why would I. Costs more to fix and maintain. I just want to fly with little to no fuss. Blade Heli's fits that niche for me. I love the whole Spectrum Bind and fly aspect of it. Very smart move for Horizon and Blade heli's. I don't feel the need to spend more money on a higher end heli so I can show off at the field how much I can afford and keep up with the Jones's and feel part of the gang so to speak.

"Hey look at me, look at me, how much I can spend, look at my pretty expensive machine" "do you like it..look..I'm like you now...accept me, accept me".

I have no ego to feed and my testosterone levels are fine. For me...function more than form. Less is more. Keep it simple. Have fun...play...fly....fix...enjoy.

FG

P.S. This thread should be for Blade Heli flyers only. If your not a supporter of Blade Heli's you shouldn't be here.
Gustavo Sganzerla likes this.

Last edited by douglas4; 07-21-2017 at 08:28 AM..
douglas4 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't feel the need to spend more money on a higher end heli so I can show off at the field how much I can afford and keep up with the Jones's and feel part of the gang so to speak. I have no ego to feed and my testosterone levels are fine. For me...function more than form. Less is more. Keep it simple. Have fun...play...fly....fix...enjoy.

FG
That is not what buying a higher end heli is about for most of us, although it could be for some. It is no different than any other hobby. If you are in to Archery, don't you eventually move up to a nicer Bow? Don't we all get nicer cars than the ones we learned in? Nicer TVs because of the technology today? PCs? I could go on and on...

It all comes down to what you want out of YOUR hobby. If you want to shoot your whole time in the archery hobby on that beginner bow until it breaks and you get the same one to replace it, that is up to you. For many of us, and since it is OUR hobby, we want to experience "more". I enjoy flying what I fly based off of their performance level, no different than the examples I gave and whatever else you enjoy doing as a hobby. I strive to fully "experience" the hobby and all of its aspects. Some have different feelings about it, such as yourself. I chose not to limit myself.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
Old 07-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
I chose not to limit myself.
I don't feel I'm limiting myself. I just want to fly. I have no need for more. I could, but I don't feel the need. My Blade heli just does what I need it to do and that's...."fly".

Quality has nothing to do with me..it's all about function. Blade heli's for me are quality and they do what they were designed to do...."fly".

Keep in mind I'm a sport/scale flyer...no tricks...I'm not a 3D smack down kinda guy.

FG
Old 07-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I don't feel I'm limiting myself. I just want to fly. I have no need for more. I could, but I don't feel the need. My Blade heli just does what I need it to do and that's...."fly".

Quality has nothing to do with me..it's all about function. Blade heli's for me are quality and they do what they were designed to do...."fly".

FG
I was referring to me. I chose not to limit myself. As I said, others may not have the same feeling and was mostly referring to the hobby as a whole and everything involved in setting up one to fly. Most things aren't required for BNF/RTF.

They all fly. If the quality of whatever you fly with Blade is adequate to your standards, then great. Some want more. Because I can guarantee you that although they may "all fly", they DO NOT all fly the same. I personally didn't realize it until I stepped out and can now compare. So now knowing what I was missing, I know I am not limiting myself. If that is the most you want out of the hobby, cool. But don't think that others who want a little more do it for the vain reasons you mention.

Cars just drive also. If that is the only qualifying factor, then why do people like automatic transmission, A/C, leather seats, heated seats, power windows, GPS navigation, stereo systems....some however, are exceedingly better than others in every fashion.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in