Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade 330X

Blade 330X Blade 330X Helicopters Information and Help

View Poll Results: Should the 330x have SAFE/Bailout
Yes please 19 42.22%
Yes, but on a different model e.g. 330s 0 0%
Yes, as a free upgrade/download 8 17.78%
Yes, as an upgrade/download but I don't mind paying 6 13.33%
Yes, as an upgrade provided it can be removed later 2 4.44%
No, by the time you are ready for 450 class you do not need SAFE 4 8.89%
No, SAFE is only for beginners not for intermediate and advanced 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Smile 330X SAFE/Bailout poll

As the title suggests this thread is aimed at getting an idea of whether the idea of having SAFE and Bailout available in the 330x similar to that in the 250cfx is actually popular or something in which only a minority have interest.
I have included options for those who believe that the SAFE causes silly things to happen even when it is not being used.

Please if you are a Blade hating troll and have no interest in buying their products do not vote.
N.B. Poll shows who votes for each option.

Ok the options are:
1) Yes I would like it standard on the 330x
2) Yes I would like it standard but on a different model e.g. 330s
3) Yes I would like it as a free upgrade/download option
4) Yes I would like it as an upgrade/download option and I am prepared to pay for it (but free would good )
5) Yes I would like it as an upgrade/download option with the ability remove it later if so desired.
6) No I believe that by the time you are ready for 450 class you should not need this feature
7) No and it should not be available on any of the helis in the intermediate or advanced groups, it is for beginners only.

I hope I have covered all options, if not please detail below.
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

I clicked yes, as a free upgrade, mostly because free is good and it offers a choice. Aside from that, I do not see it as a problem that the 330X does not have safe. I consider myself an intermediate pilot at best and still never use the SAFE on the one heli I have that has it. In fact, on my last big crash with the heli, there was a split second where my brain said "You are out of control and low above the ground, should we hit the button or throttle hold?" That was enough of a distraction that I did neither and totally lunched the main gear and a few other things.

--Blade 500 3D--Blade 360CFX--Blade 450 3D--Blade 230S--Blade 130S (x2)--Blade MCPX BL--Blade MSR-X--Blade MSR--Estes Proto X--UMX Radian---DX8 Gen 2--Heli-X 4.2 Sim--
helitack32f1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just chatted with Kevin from Horizon...

He stated that SAFE/Rescue is an option hidden deep within the development team and he has a friend to ask if it will/can be made available...

So far no plan for a download or upgrade...

I've been wanting a reason to buy an iKON so this might sway the decision
Old 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
I just chatted with Kevin from Horizon...

He stated that SAFE/Rescue is an option hidden deep within the development team and he has a friend to ask if it will/can be made available...

So far no plan for a download or upgrade...

I've been wanting a reason to buy an iKON so this might sway the decision
Well I have actually bought an iKON2BT to put on a 450x but have delayed my plans a few weeks ago when my "spidey sense" detected that there may be some new model in the 450 class.

I also bought a second hand "other brand" that was supposed to be BnF but is broken and have ordered the parts to repair it from Hong Kong which will take about 2 weeks to get here. I will make a decision on what I do then.

I am hoping that there is strong enough support for SAFE on the 330 that HH reconsider as I would prefer that my Blades are fairly OEM rather than "frankenchoppers".
Old 07-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

I really would have liked so see the rescue feature on this model because I still kinda want it.
Mariner85 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

The X in the model name pretty much told Me from the get-go that it wasn't going to have rescue/panic...

It's not something that can be updated or downloaded from what I have found
Old 07-26-2017, 03:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJet View Post
The X in the model name pretty much told Me from the get-go that it wasn't going to have rescue/panic...

It's not something that can be updated or downloaded from what I have found
Well except that the 250CFX has safe and bailout while the 270CFX has bailout without safe.

I sure hope you are wrong about he update though, at this time of the 24 votes only 4 don't want the safe/bailout feature.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

I thought it was odd also. It's on sub-micros that generally speaking suffer less damage in a crash but not here. It's just a check in a box when uploading the firmware to the rcvr, unless it is already maxed out or something. It's a common feature in more modern FBLs. Forget SAFE, just add the rescue. You shouldn't need any self-leveling if buying this thing anyway, IMO.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

another option....... no flybarless at all..... would suit those who don't fly spektrum and/or those who want rescue.
K-rash is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 05:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-rash View Post
another option....... no flybarless at all..... would suit those who don't fly spektrum and/or those who want rescue.
That would be good too. I mentioned offering this in a bare kit and letting guys new to building/setting up helis get their hand at it. Blade could provide sort of step-by-step guide on what they need to do to get it running. It would take the building part out of the equation and leave you to install electronics and setup. Most of what keeps me from buying Blade is the electronics. Relatively speaking this could be a decent 6S machine with the right pieces. This is where most beginners start, may as well move the learning all the way out.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

They need to have Safe on this model, as now they have announced the 360CFX 3s the two models are very similar, obviously the CFX has a carbon fibre frame.

They should have made this model the 330S, would have made much more sense as we have the 130S and the 230S both with Safe, then introduce the 330S for the intermediate pilot and have the 360CFX 3s as the advanced model.
rp002 likes this.
slumdog is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Rescue sure, SAFE with bank limits and tilting swash behaviors ect no.

It's obviously the cause of erratic behavior on my 230 which caused me to make several emergency landings and dump it once. If I was just starting out it would have caused at least 4 crashes by now.

Hitting TH and dumping the 230 wasn't a huge deal cause nothing broke but do that with this heli and it's going to cost you at least a set of blades. Probably more like blades, a spindle, main shaft, tailboom​, main gear and a set or two of servo gears.

Anyways..
Ppl should use SAFE on the nano or other small heli the way it was intended and get past the need for bank limits/electronic training wheels before getting a heli big enough to severely injure you or someone else IMHO. Learn to fly then step up.

Just like learning to ride a bike. You learn to ride without training wheels before you graduate to a BMX or mountain bike. You don't buy one then put the training wheels from your little kiddie bike on it.

Unless you're "special" and out grow your kiddie bike but still need training wheels and a helmet at 18+ lol
oviroble likes this.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

I agree, SAFE but no rescue. I look at it as my helmet..to your analogy I have rescue on my Oxy 2 and have used it several times. Although, a self leveling heli for someone flying their first CP heli isn't such a bad idea, assuming there was no previous step like a 230, and they just wanted something a little bigger. It's all that much bigger. I guess pros/cons of doing it or not.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Rescue sure, SAFE with bank limits and tilting swash behaviors ect no.

It's obviously the cause of erratic behavior on my 230 which caused me to make several emergency landings and dump it once. If I was just starting out it would have caused at least 4 crashes by now.

Hitting TH and dumping the 230 wasn't a huge deal cause nothing broke but do that with this heli and it's going to cost you at least a set of blades. Probably more like blades, a spindle, main shaft, tailboom​, main gear and a set or two of servo gears.

Anyways..
Ppl should use SAFE on the nano or other small heli the way it was intended and get past the need for bank limits/electronic training wheels before getting a heli big enough to severely injure you or someone else IMHO. Learn to fly then step up.

Just like learning to ride a bike. You learn to ride without training wheels before you graduate to a BMX or mountain bike. You don't buy one then put the training wheels from your little kiddie bike on it.

Unless you're "special" and out grow your kiddie bike but still need training wheels and a helmet at 18+ lol
If only everyone was as amazing as you think you are......

On the weekend I attended a large heli meeting where flyers from up to 1000 miles away all came together. There were many many Trex, Logo, Goblin and the plethora of other brands in sizes from 250 up 800 flying scale, sport, 3D and even smack.

I spent a lot of time talking to the pilots about many subjects including safe/rescue and almost all of them had the option fitted to their vbar, beastx, ikon etc.

These were not low time new pilots rather people, some with over 10 years experience, who realise that logic and practicality are far more important than ego and bravado.

Many regaled stories of how they had saved the very expensive models from damage by using rescue and how having it available had helped them improve their skills by giving them an extra level of confidence.

Anyway for me whether of not the 330x has or has not safe/rescue is no longer relevant. I have now spent my money elsewhere and while I will keep my 230s and 250cfx for park flying I will not be buying any of the larger Blade offerings and in fact will be selling all of my 450x fleet and spares.

P.S. there were a couple of "experts" like you flying on the weekend. Ironically karma got one of them when they lost orientation with the sun coming out from behind a cloud and their nice shiny 700 Trex went home in several very bent pieces. But hey those who live by the sword.....
Old 08-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

I think it is a belief that the whole SAFE protocol interferes with the overall performance of the system. You would think not, but with some of the quirks these things have nowadays, hard not to blame it on something. You could almost think of it as bloatware slowing down your nice new pc. I think it is all speculation, but they do seem different. The nano CPS was the first time I had thought something was just wrong. None of the other Blade helis I had flown before that didn't seem to have these weird unexplainable quirks.

My 230 was great, both of them.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
If only everyone was as amazing as you think you are......

On the weekend I attended a large heli meeting where flyers from up to 1000 miles all came together. There were many many Trex, Logo, Goblin and the plethora of other brands in sizes from 250 up 800 flying scale, sport, 3D and even smack.

I spent a lot of time talking to the pilots about many subjects including safe/rescue and almost all of them had the option fitted to their vbar, beastx, ikon etc.

These were not low time new pilots rather people, some with over 10 years experience, who realise that logic and practicality are far more important than ego and bravado.

Many regaled stories of how they had saved the very expensive models from damage by using rescue and how having it available had helped them improve their skills by giving them an extra level of confidence.

Anyway for me whether of not the 330x has or has not safe/rescue is no longer relevant. I have now spent my money elsewhere and while I will keep my 230s and 250cfx for park flying I will not be buying any of the larger Blade offerings and in fact will be selling all of my 450x fleet and spares.

P.S. there were a couple of "experts" like you flying on the weekend. Ironically karma got one of them when they lost orientation with the sun coming out from behind a cloud and their nice shiny 700 Trex went home in several very bent pieces. But hey those who live by the sword.....
Check your reading skills. I said rescue SURE/AKA YES, bank limits/stability mode NO.

Rescue is a very popular feature, have no problem with it whatsoever even though I don't use it. Simply don't think you should still need bank limits by the time you graduate to a 450.

Go ahead and try to insult me but at least understand what I said beforehand.

You quoted me but apparently didn't understand the first two words I said
Old 08-07-2017, 07:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
I think it is a belief that the whole SAFE protocol interferes with the overall performance of the system. You would think not, but with some of the quirks these things have nowadays, hard not to blame it on something. You could almost think of it as bloatware slowing down your nice new pc. I think it is all speculation, but they do seem different. The nano CPS was the first time I had thought something was just wrong. None of the other Blade helis I had flown before that didn't seem to have these weird unexplainable quirks.

My 230 was great, both of them.

Yeah it's possible that it isn't SAFE that's causing the issue with my 230 but it's something that hasn't happened on any other heli I've owned, Blade or otherwise.

It'll be flying fine then the swash will start tilting during flight exactly the way it does sitting on the ground in stability mode. It will keep drifting to the right until I reinitialize it then it works fine again.

Sometimes happens every flight and other times it won't happen at all.

Blame it on SAFE because of the uncanny resemblance to the swash tilt in stab mode. Same direction, same speed so I'm fairly convinced they're related. Could be coincidence

Those who fly the Blade, flip a coin on the reliability lol. Your 230's have been flawless but your 180 wasn't. My 180 has been flawless for over two years and thousands of flights but my 230 has a moderate mental disorder lol

Hopefully without SAFE the number of 330's with a mental disorder will be slim to none. One thing's for sure it's one less thing that can go wrong. Good thing on a RC heli since they're a flying bunch of things that can go wrong with the business end of a lawnmower on top.

Oh and flap be sure to tell that "expert" that he doesn't need rescue, that scenario is easily avoided with some basic common sense. You face west in the morning and east in the afternoon. Nature/weather is unpredictable so don't fly facing the sun cause it's cloudy. Unless you want to smash your 700 and potentially kill yourself or someone else.

Don't need to be amazing to know that

Wasn't living by the sword by not having rescue, was from trusting Mother Nature who shows no mercy.

I guess I do have one problem with rescue. Seems like quite a few ppl think it's a substitute for common sense.

Last edited by learnedthehardway; 08-07-2017 at 08:09 PM..
learnedthehardway is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Check your reading skills. I said rescue SURE/AKA YES, bank limits/stability mode NO.

Rescue is a very popular feature, have no problem with it whatsoever even though I don't use it. Simply don't think you should still need bank limits by the time you graduate to a 450.

Go ahead and try to insult me but at least understand what I said beforehand.

You quoted me but apparently didn't understand the first two words I said
SAFE and recovery on the blades are basically the same thing.
But as I said it no longer is relevant to me. Blade have lost a customer.
Based on the above poll I suspect they may lose quite a few more.

As far as "graduate" you seem to think that only the elite can fly larger helis. I do understand you. You believe that people who prefer higher levels of safety and technology are inferior or "special".
That is your choice. I have made mine.

I do look forward to reading your review of your 330x and 360cfx 3s.

You are going to buy them aren't you?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
SAFE and recovery on the blades are basically the same thing.
But as I said it no longer is relevant to me. Blade have lost a customer.
Based on the above poll I suspect they may lose quite a few more.
What will you be flying?
Old 08-09-2017, 03:46 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrman83 View Post
What will you be flying?
T-REX 450 with iKON and new Logo 550 probably with vbar.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in