was thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Compass Model Helicopters > eXo



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Default was thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these

contemplating adding one of these to the fleet, mainly due to the fact I have a motor, ESC, battens, and FBL controller. The kit ,blades, and servos are needed at checkout. I'm new to this site per say but have been around on others and have noticed not too much on this heli and a lot of gripes. I think this is a very good looking heli and have a curiosity on rigid heads and a wife not willing to approve a Hen. In your option is this heli something I could fly without a lot of non pilot induced issues. Just a little backround on me been RC for 35+ years mainlky planks but have fooled with helis for many years, the past 13 years helis have been more in the picture due to the 3 square feet needed to fly from, I have mainly Align products 250, 450,500,a new to me 550 perched off this site from a VERY top notch guy, a 600 MD 500 scale heli and a stretched 700 ie 760 PLEASE give me your thoughts and if not in a reply a PM would be great

Thanks Rick

and no snide remarks on my last name the answer is no
Richard J. Szabo is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 13,460
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan, East of Hell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard J. Szabo View Post
contemplating adding one of these to the fleet, mainly due to the fact I have a motor, ESC, battens, and FBL controller. The kit ,blades, and servos are needed at checkout. I'm new to this site per say but have been around on others and have noticed not too much on this heli and a lot of gripes. I think this is a very good looking heli and have a curiosity on rigid heads and a wife not willing to approve a Hen. In your option is this heli something I could fly without a lot of non pilot induced issues. Just a little backround on me been RC for 35+ years mainlky planks but have fooled with helis for many years, the past 13 years helis have been more in the picture due to the 3 square feet needed to fly from, I have mainly Align products 250, 450,500,a new to me 550 perched off this site from a VERY top notch guy, a 600 MD 500 scale heli and a stretched 700 ie 760 PLEASE give me your thoughts and if not in a reply a PM would be great

Thanks Rick

and no snide remarks on my last name the answer is no
I would get it. The issues you have read about in this forum are mostly build issues. There have been manufacturing issues, but they have been taken care of. You will also get top notch support in this forum for any issue you may encounter.

Scott
__________________
Team Compass USA--Team Pilot
Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>
http://www.experiencerc.com : Making Helicopters Great Again!

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New England
Default

I haven't flown the eXo, but the Atom (stretch) has been very relaxed and forgiving at lower HS. I'm sure the eXo has a similarly broad flight envelope.

It's a small community, but excellent and friendly support.
__________________
Compass Atom 5.5 - Oxy 3+ Oxy 2 FE
Blade 230S - nano CPS - XK K110/K120
Wargamer is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Default

I would go for it (in fact I did).

It's probably not the easiest build but it's not the hardest either and everything is really nice quality. Some people complain that the canopy is hard to remove but I got over that by fitting the magnetic canopy mounts from the Protos Max.

Otherwise, the heli is great. It looks superb and flies brilliantly - the damperless head and the stiffness of the exoskeleton frame seem to give it a really locked-in feel. It feels really solid in the air. Maybe a little like a lighter weight Goblin? Not sure if that is a good analogy but these things are tough to explain.

Most of my heli's are Logos, Protos or Goblins but the Exo fits in really nicely.
__________________
Mark

So many heli's, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 13,460
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan, East of Hell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashalotjoe View Post
I would go for it (in fact I did).

It's probably not the easiest build but it's not the hardest either and everything is really nice quality. Some people complain that the canopy is hard to remove but I got over that by fitting the magnetic canopy mounts from the Protos Max.

Otherwise, the heli is great. It looks superb and flies brilliantly - the damperless head and the stiffness of the exoskeleton frame seem to give it a really locked-in feel. It feels really solid in the air. Maybe a little like a lighter weight Goblin? Not sure if that is a good analogy but these things are tough to explain.

Most of my heli's are Logos, Protos or Goblins but the Exo fits in really nicely.
Hi,

This is not to challenge you, but I would sincerely like to know what you found difficult about the build so we can perhaps address this with future products?

Thanks!

Scott
__________________
Team Compass USA--Team Pilot
Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>
http://www.experiencerc.com : Making Helicopters Great Again!

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 19,130
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alhambra, CA
Default

I assembled two of them in the space of about three weeks. They have a low parts count and go together quite easily. It take longer to clean the fasteners and the holes they thread into than it does to do the actual building (this is the case with every helicopter I have ever built, except for scale models).

The eXo is the first, new, truly innovative design on the market that I have seen in several years. As a result, the assembly process is different from anything else out there.

dunkonu23 has an excellent build thread here om HF. Follow that exactly and you will have no issues.
__________________
KBDD-Team Captain/Compass Team Manager/Experience R/C/ Team JR Americas/ Western Robotics Field Representative
6HV-U, Warp, 7HV,Knight Pro,Knight 3D, Atom, Atom Stretch, Odin II, 6HV, 3D Plus, Knight 50, Chronos
Ah Clem is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Essex, UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkonu23 View Post
Hi,

This is not to challenge you, but I would sincerely like to know what you found difficult about the build so we can perhaps address this with future products?

Thanks!

Scott
It was nothing really, it's a while ago now but from memory the inner tray assembly was awkward to assemble with multiple pulleys, studs and bearings all making a bid for freedom whilst trying to fit the bottom plate.

The electronics layout is a little tricky because the exoskeleton takes up some of the space for mounting receivers etc. It's not bad and I've ended up with a nice clean build so I'm definitely not complaining.

I had a couple of issues with mismatched tail grips which I had to get replaced but it was an early model so this has undoubtedly been fixed now.

I'm not one of those who subscribes to the theories about laying the heli on its side to change the pack with the canopy on as I am not an experienced gynaecologist so I elected to make the canopy easier to remove with the Protos magnetic mounts on the front supports.

I had a few other issues but these were mainly user error so I won't mention them

As I said, not the easiest build but not the hardest either. Now it's built and has 50+ flights under its belt, I love the way it looks and flies and it's up there amongst my favourite heli's.
__________________
Mark

So many heli's, so little time.
Crashalotjoe is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 13,460
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Michigan, East of Hell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashalotjoe View Post
It was nothing really, it's a while ago now but from memory the inner tray assembly was awkward to assemble with multiple pulleys, studs and bearings all making a bid for freedom whilst trying to fit the bottom plate.

The electronics layout is a little tricky because the exoskeleton takes up some of the space for mounting receivers etc. It's not bad and I've ended up with a nice clean build so I'm definitely not complaining.

I had a couple of issues with mismatched tail grips which I had to get replaced but it was an early model so this has undoubtedly been fixed now.

I'm not one of those who subscribes to the theories about laying the heli on its side to change the pack with the canopy on as I am not an experienced gynaecologist so I elected to make the canopy easier to remove with the Protos magnetic mounts on the front supports.

I had a few other issues but these were mainly user error so I won't mention them

As I said, not the easiest build but not the hardest either. Now it's built and has 50+ flights under its belt, I love the way it looks and flies and it's up there amongst my favourite heli's.
Thanks, Mark! The electronics is one of the things I made sure I went over in the build thread. Actually, the manual shows a great layout, but that's only for a Spartan. Me being a Spartan guy, well...

Once you do the inner frames once, it's easy. I had the advantage of building the test model for the United States.

Thanks for the post! It's really cool.

Scott
__________________
Team Compass USA--Team Pilot
Spartan Vortex Inside,Team Scorpion
KBDD Team Pilot ):>
http://www.experiencerc.com : Making Helicopters Great Again!

dunkonu23 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply




Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Location
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.
 

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1