Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade mCPS

Blade mCPS Blade mCPS Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
But, I'm only getting around a minute or two of decent flight before RPM drop to a point where full collective is needed just to maintain a hover. After a 4 minute flight the cells are at 3.8V.

Tried lowering the throttle curves (lower RPM = less current draw = longer flights). Doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone else seeing this? 100% stock heli, no mods. 10 flights so far, two initial hovers inside, 8 FF circuits outside.
Yes, I'm seeing this too.

Comments moved to the new thread. https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=788904

Last edited by flightengr; 08-13-2017 at 03:13 PM..
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #22 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cool - thanks for the link Jon! I'm checking out some Nano-Techs as well from HK.

Fligntengr - Absolutely on the new thread - good idea. Here's a link to it: https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=788904

Thanks for confirming too! I haven't used the included USB charger either - only the ISDT charger where I can control mAh and monitor voltages.

Here's a short video of flight # 14, after the solder mod. Much better, but I'm still not happy with the amount of RPM/collective left at 3 minutes for anything other than putt'ing around.

As you can see I'm not even beating on it for those 3 minutes.

Blade mCPS - Flight 14 - After Solder Mod (4 min 9 sec)

Before the solder mod the heli would require full collective around 2 minutes just to hover, then by 3 minutes it would be down to ground effect hovering only with full collective.

-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-14-2017 at 10:46 AM..
FR4-Pilot is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
I went against the manual and increased the travel on the pitch channel from 75 to 100, and that helped a lot for those first two minutes of flight.
After reading your post I decided to give this a try too, but I only increased to 90. Seems to make a big difference ... going to test it a few more times before saying any more, but looks promising. I actually felt comfortable enough with the new collective response to try a few loops ...

Anyone know why Blade would have the travel adjust set to 75 on the pitch channel? Does anything interfere with it set to 100?

So far I've gotten 16 recharges of the stock lipos on that 3S 2200 Nano-Tech & ISDT charger ... still some more left in it

I just tried a travel setting of 100 on the pitch channel - Wow! This thing is alive now I hope 100 is okay - I'll look for binding later tonight. Still 3.9v after 3 min flights.

18 recharges now 3S lipo is now down to 11.2v. I'll let it go to 10.5v (3.5v per cell). Probably another 8-10 recharges before reaching that point.

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-14-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Old 08-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default She's a Keeper !

Got a whole bunch of flights in today, at home and at parks A, B and C She's flying much better now, but I'm still keeping my flights to 3 minutes instead of 4. I felt comfortable enough to try some inverted flying as well as loops and rolls. There was some wind, not much, but the heli handled it very well.

Stock heli, DX6

Here's what contributed to the turning point with my heli:
  • Performing the "Solder Mod" on the battery connector.
  • Increasing the Travel Adjust for the Pitch channel to 90+/90+
The manual says 75/75. I'm guessing there's a reason for that, or it's a misprint. Blade will have to comment. All I know is at 75 the collective response basically sucks. It works MUCH better at 100, but I don't know (yet) if that causes any kind of mechanical binding or interference, so I flew the last couple of flights at 90, and it works great. There may be an optimal setting, I just don't know what it is yet.

Prior to the above mods I was beginning to feel subtle regrets of buyer's remorse. Perhaps the battery connector pins are just a manufacturing tolerance thing, and the 75/75 is meant as a starting point, to be tuned and refined as needed by the user (?) Anyway ...

I currently have the following throttle curves:
  • N: 0-75-80-85-90
  • 1: 90-85-80-85-90
  • 2: 100-95-90-95-100
(I can't really tell or hear the difference between Stunt 1 and Stunt 2 RPM)

I currently have the following pitch curves:
  • N: 30-40-50-75-100
  • 1: 0-25-50-75-100
  • 2: 0-25-50-75-100
Everything else is setup per the mCPS owner's manual, except my timer is 3 minutes (instead of 4) and Pitch Travel is 90/90 (instead of 75/75).

Also, this heli is really sensitive to how fast you plug the battery in and get set it down on a level surface without moving it. I mean like a half second is too slow! If you don't get it down & level fast enough after plugging the battery the heli will instantly roll when spooling up, scraping the crap out of the blade tips. This happened at least a half dozen times today, but this little tank sustained no damage at all!

I recorded a bunch of videos and will post something up shortly. All 3 minute flights, with ending battery voltage of 3.9V.

Oh, and 20 recharges so far on that 3S lipo. It's currently at 11.1V. Got at least a half-dozen more in there before having to recharge it

Very impressed for sure I think I'll try some of those 300mAh batteries and see about increasing the timer back to 4 minutes. 3 minutes seems more appropriate (to me at least) for the included 210mAh batteries, for now anyway.

-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-14-2017 at 10:51 AM..
Old 08-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered Users

Its been years (2 or 3 at least) since i had a stock MCPX but it seemed it had more power then that.. I never understood why Eflite/Blade/Horizon whoever makes these sends these crappy battery's with there planes. Sure i flew the stock MCPX battery's for a while they were 200mah I just looked cause my dad has part of a stock MCPX still in the box... I went to the nano tech 300 they always worked well and I am not a just fly around flyer i used my MCPX to learn back and front flips inverted hover whatever.

had to see that it doesn't seem to have much power. no worse thing then to get a new rc toy and cant even really enjoy it.

Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2017, 09:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Videos

Here are the videos from this afternoon/evening. I don't have videos of the first dozen or so flights - they kinda sucked. These, after the mentioned mods, were much, much better.

Apologies, I don't have time to edit them - they're right out of the camera.

All in all, the day ended much better than it began

Blade mCPS Flight 18 (4 min 37 sec)

Blade mCPS Flight 20 (4 min 16 sec)

Blade mCPS Flight 22 (3 min 48 sec)

Blade mCPS Flight 24 (3 min 26 sec)

-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-24-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Anyone know why Blade would have the travel adjust set to 75 on the pitch channel? Does anything interfere with it set to 100?
I think that's because if the pitch travel is too high, then tail tends to rotate ccw under full collective pitch.
One of the common method to prevent tail blowing under full collective pitch is that hit the full throttle stick and see if the tail rotates ccw as the heli climbs up, if tail rotates then reduce the pitch travel by around 5~10, and repeat the whole previous phases until the tail is solid enough during skyrocketing.
Then invert the heli and do the same things for the minus pitch.
I suppose the pitch travel values of 75 is the result of this kind of test in the factory.
But you can find your own pitch travel values by the test above, and the values of plus and minus pitches should be varied, it's very common.
Of course you can use high pitch travel if you don't use acute pitch work, or even you can make the pitch curve as 's' shape.
This means that you can use high pitch curve for the half of the graph near the center, and make it sluggish for the outter part of the curve.
(I don't know I've conveyed my idea correctly as I'm not a native English speaker)

Last edited by mnipjy; 08-13-2017 at 10:02 PM..
mnipjy is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnipjy View Post
I think that's because if the pitch travel is too high, then tail tends to rotate ccw under full collective pitch.
One of the common method to prevent tail blowing under full collective pitch is that hit the full throttle stick and see if the tail rotates ccw as the heli climbs up, if tail rotates then reduce the pitch travel by around 5~10, and repeat the whole previous phases until the tail is solid enough during skyrocketing.
Then invert the heli and do the same things for the minus pitch.
I suppose the pitch travel values of 75 is the result of this kind of test in the factory.
But you can find your own pitch travel values by the test above, and the values of plus and minus pitches should be varied, it's very common.
Of course you can use high pitch travel if you don't use acute pitch work, or even you can make the pitch curve as 's' shape.
This means that you can use high pitch curve for the half of the graph near the center, and make it sluggish for the outter part of the curve.
(I don't know I've conveyed my idea correctly as I'm not a native English speaker)
You nailed it perfectly...

Collective management prevents tail blowout during pitch pumps...and the weaker brushed motor benefits from lower pitch travel

The stronger tail motor will help collective management quite a bit...and larger C-rated batteries will allow greater pitch travel

Your English is much better than My Korean...when I get a Korean caller at work I immediately dial the interpreter
Old 08-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mnipjy - that makes sense. I think the tail was blowing out occasionally when I had pitch set to 100 (almost sent it into a tree). Of course! I didn't notice the blowouts when it was set to 90 ... but now I know what to check out next. Thanks!

I just went back and looked at the mCPX and mCPX BL user manuals. The mCPX also had Pitch set to 75. However, the BL had it set to 100. Obviously, tail blowout was not an issue with the BL model.

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-14-2017 at 08:44 AM..
Old 08-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing I did notice, however, stability mode. It really causes the heli to vibrate, a LOT. I noticed this on the very first flight out of the box. You can see the tail and battery wires bouncing all around, you can hear additional vibrations, the main blades appear to have tracking issues, and the heli drifts to the right and to the rear. Switching into "Intermediate" or "Agility" silences all of this.

The flight controller board on this version of the heli is mounted to the frame via rubber dampers, so it's possible vibrations are being introduced to the flight controller via the wires and plugs for the battery, servos & motors (?)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mine is behaving reasonably well in Stability Mode for the first 2:00 of the flight. There's a little vibration, but it doesn't seem to cause any flight problems. But when the heli decides it doesn't have enough power or whatever that problem is, it vibrates like crazy. The heli itself actually changes to a blur in the air! And then as I mentioned, the gyros lose control of the heli to some degree. Frankly I'm amazed I can still control it when that happens... maybe I'm not as bad at flying helis as I think!
flightengr is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, yours acts just like mine ... it doesn't vibrate or drift at the beginning of the flight, but over the next couple of minutes it develops and gets progressively worse.

'Blurry' is the perfect way to describe how the heli looks when this is happening

I haven't tried 'rescue' yet. Kinda afraid to. I think I set it up correctly per the manual, but not 100% sure. If I press the bind button while holding the heli by the tail boom it comes to life, rotors spinning and I can feel it try to rotate to level itself. It 'bit' me on the knuckle while trying this so I stopped messing with it I imagine all of the vibes we're seeing in Stability mode would affect how well rescue works (?)

I'm still seeing the tail rotor begin spinning if I have throttle hold on and select either stunt 1 or stunt 2. But why (?)

I'd actually like to separate the "SAFE" stuff from the flight mode switch, maybe moving it to the gyro/gear switch (which is also 3 position). That way I can have 3 sets of throttle & pitch curves that are independent of whatever SAFE mode is in effect. If this is possible (?) Brian Bremer maybe could comment if there's any throttle curve value dependencies associated with the functionality of the various SAFE modes. Or, I could just try it and see what happens ...

All in all, considering how many times my main blades have contacted objects other than air molecules I'm really surprised the spindle hasn't bent yet. Amazing !!!

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-14-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I'm still seeing the tail rotor begin spinning if I have throttle hold on and select either stunt 1 or stunt 2. But why (?)
Mine did that...until I downloaded the SPM file...

Just realize that you may need to make changes to the selected switches for various functions to suit your preferences

My assumption is that something in the setup is different from what I am used to for the model
Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered Users

I went ahead and changed my DX6 setup and moved the SAFE/Stability control over to switch D (gear/gyro switch) instead of it being layered on top of the flight mode switch B.

Now SAFE/Stability can be switched to OFF regardless of the flight mode selection.

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-18-2017 at 01:37 PM..
Old 08-19-2017, 11:27 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do you think this heli can carry an extra 0.84g ?

I'd like to see if this looks more like a heli in a video, rather than just a dot off in the distance ...

Well, my HK batteries would have been here today, but for some unexplained reason they encountered a "Shipping Exception" yesterday afternoon after arriving in Chicago. Evidently, the bar code label suddenly became unreadable. It only took 12 hours to fix that, so now they're "on a truck for delivery - next business day" (Monday)

Look! A Tailboom can be seen !! The extra weight didn't seem to bother it. With 95 on the Pitch channel it didnt' have any problems looping. Will try 100 and inverted stuff next ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3489.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	720034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3490.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	720035   Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-08-19-13h15m37s989.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	720040  

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-19-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Old 08-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
Registered Users

This heli IS a tank

Had a bunch more flights today, albeit with only 2 batteries. Also experienced a handful of mishaps. Tail blow-outs, ejecting batteries, piro-of-death followed by chicken dance, full RPM tip-over in grass when landing, etc. This thing took it all, and kept flying, even in some pretty good wind - with the playschool skids and boom. Simply Amazing.

More videos later tonight - I do have to edit a few of them, bleeping the audio at key moments that is

And, being able to re-charge in the truck while driving to a new field totally rocks! Just need some more packs ...

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-24-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Videos

This heli is a lot of fun. I'm not a 3D pilot but even I can get the tail to blow out repeatedly. Happens less when throttle curve is 100-90-80-90-100 and dual rates are 85% (and Pitch travel at 90-95). I'm more comfortable now with inverted since it's had some spills already and not a single thing needed repair

Blade mCPS Flight 32 - Battery Gets Ejected (3 min 26 sec)

Blade mCPS Flight 33 - Madison Meadow (3 min 43 sec)

Blade mCPS Flight 35 - Willowbrook (3 min 38 sec)

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-24-2017 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Great flying I can definitely get a great sense of the heli watching your videos. The tail does some nice and solid with it's own set of quarks. I assume it flies about the same if you remove the .84g of excess weight or is that helping in those 5mph winds?
(sorry if I missed that info)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hey thanks! It seemed to fly just as well with the foam parts as without. I'll try some more flights without them as soon as my extra batteries arrive.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
Registered Users

Well, had a test flight inside with one of these (35C) batteries in Stability mode.

No drifting! Got some 45C batteries too.

(more testing required obviously)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	720220  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in