Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Blade Helicopters (eFlite) > Blade mCPS

Blade mCPS Blade mCPS Helicopters Information and Help

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2017, 06:43 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Much Better!

Blade mCPS Flight 41 - Better Battery (Nano-Tech 300mAh) (3 min 52 sec)

Much better performance with these new HobbyKing Nano-Tech 300mAh batteries. Trying both 35C and 45C versions. More power, more collective response and the drifting I observed in Stability mode appears to be gone.

They're a tight fit in the frame (battery holder) and the power connector, but mine has the 'Solder Mod' so that's probably a contributing factor. The included 210mAh 40C batteries are definitely a bit weak, IMO.

FYI, Here's my current DX6 G3 Setup:

Switch C (leftmost front switch) is used to turn Stability on and off, regardless of the flight mode (Normal, Stunt1, Stunt2).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DX6 Setting Chart 01.PNG
Views:	1436
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	721034  

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-29-2017 at 07:33 PM..
FR4-Pilot is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quit posting videos so I do not feel compelled to buy one! I really cannot afford to buy yet another heli.

--Blade 500 3D--Blade 360CFX--Blade 450 3D--Blade 230S--Blade 130S (x2)--Blade MCPX BL--Blade MSR-X--Blade MSR--Estes Proto X--UMX Radian---DX8 Gen 2--Heli-X 4.2 Sim--
helitack32f1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Roger that !

I had to get rid of 2 micro helis, a micro quad and one mini heli before I could justify this one

Ditching the foam for some cocktail/drinking straws instead:

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-31-2017 at 08:27 PM..
Old 08-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Roger that !

I had to get rid of 2 micro helis, a micro quad and one mini heli before I could justify this one

That's a good way of going about it. Problem is, I really don't have much to retire that anyone else would want. I can't retire the MCPX BL because it has just been too good to me. 4 years and still on the original main board. Sure looks like your mCP S flies better though. I may end up with one anyway.

--Blade 500 3D--Blade 360CFX--Blade 450 3D--Blade 230S--Blade 130S (x2)--Blade MCPX BL--Blade MSR-X--Blade MSR--Estes Proto X--UMX Radian---DX8 Gen 2--Heli-X 4.2 Sim--
Old 08-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

So far with the better batteries and tweaks to the DX6 setup it seems to fly very well - should be more than enough for my 3D skill level anyway

I can't compare it to the original heli(s) though. Hoping to hear more reports from others. Good thing is there's still a bunch of older parts out there at discounted prices that should fit/work with this heli.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Flew a bunch of flights with the nano-techs. Checking out Stability mode.

Looks like piro comp only works with Stability On.

Rotor RPM is reduced/limited with Stability On.

The tail motor stays off with throttle hold in Stability On mode only. With Stability Off the tail motor can turn on even when in throttle hold.

However, backwards circuits are a breeze with Stability On

47 flights so far ... It flies very well for a micro. I also had an original mSR, and it would do weird things at seemingly random times. Not this heli - it behaves like I hoped it would.

-John

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-26-2017 at 08:49 PM..
Old 08-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Still waiting for more videos with inverted circuits or upright/inverted funnels, etc. Almost looks as if you don't trust it to fly around while inverted? That true? Think I have seen you do these with your 180 some time back?

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

I trust it. Now me on the other hand ...

Haven't been able to get back to a field ... life schedules Time - need an extra day per week, or something.

I'm going to practice flipping inverted and inverted circuits in closer proximity and in tighter spaces. I want to be comfortable inverted in my back yard like at the field. Need to get back to work on those half-piro flips again. I expect many spills and didn't want to be rebuilding 180CFXs constantly. This little heli can take some abuse!

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 08-27-2017 at 09:49 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Okay, understand. Half piro flips are a long way from basic inverted flight or circuits. If you have all forms of inverted flight down, then I might work on them. All the fancy stuff comes much easier when you have all 4 of the basic forms of flight down.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Alright, this is the most fun I've had practicing inverted stuff outside of the simulator. Took this heli and six nano-techs to a park near work. I've been wanting to fly there for years, but haven't due to the size of my larger helis, people walking dogs, park employees, etc. This heli makes no noise so no one pays any attention to what's going on. And it's so small nobody feels threatened by it.

I had two dumb-thumb spills, but since this thing is a little tank I was able pick it up, straighten the blades, and continue on with my abuse. With any of my other helis I'd now be searching on line for replacement parts and planning a re-build. Not this time

Fantastic!

Inverted still makes my hands shake and the pucker factor distracts me from relaxing and concentrating. I'm hoping to break through all that with this little heli and repeated sessions like today.

The tighter fit of the nano-techs is a welcomed issue - they stay put. One of the stock cells keeps slipping out during flight, but not the other one (?)

Lunch hour just got a lot more interesting
Blade mCPS Flight 52 - Inverted (3 min 22 sec)

Blade mCPS Flight 55 - Inverted (mini-Crash) (3 min 44 sec)

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 09-03-2017 at 09:54 AM..
Old 08-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default BLADE mCP S (RTF BLH5100 / BNF BLH5180)

Delete

Last edited by motp4tj1; 08-31-2017 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Delete
motp4tj1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you very much for posting your settings, I was pretty underwhelmed even as a newbie at the "performance" of the stock setup. Your settings took the slow turd and made it feel much more like the nano for me.
RagerRc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

You're welcome. I'm glad Flightengr mentioned increasing the pitch setting - makes a world of difference
Old 09-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Trying a set of non-bullet high-performance blades for the mCPX.

Haven't noticed much difference in flying around the sky doing loops or slow back-yard stuff. Perhaps when I get back to the field and practice inverted things I'll be able to tell some difference.

-John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg
Views:	1163
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	721480  
Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hmmm, it appears that the main gear can 'slip' on the main shaft if it really (?) needs to. I noticed this evening that one of my crashes caused the main gear to rotate approx. 1/8 of a turn on the main shaft. It still remained kinda-locked to the shaft and the heli flew just fine for who knows how many flights now. No damage to the teeth either. I corrected the misalignment.

Pretty cool! This thing has crashed at least a half dozen times without anything other than the above and some minor scrapes to the blade tips.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot View Post
Trying a set of non-bullet high-performance blades for the mCPX.

Haven't noticed much difference in flying around the sky doing loops or slow back-yard stuff. Perhaps when I get back to the field and practice inverted things I'll be able to tell some difference.

-John
Really nice looking heli there. I like the red tail and the clean lines of the non bullet blades. Looks a lot better than the green straw on my BL.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just happened to have a red straw laying around. I was trying to see if it would help with visibility - it does. The 'boom support' is just a black cocktail straw - adds no value other than aesthetics. With the larger 300mAh batteries the heli is slightly nose heavy, even with the straws.

Cool - you did the same mod already. I'd like to see a pic, if you don't mind
Old 09-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Like I said, I really like the red. I have never been a fan of greens and yellows on the BL but the straw did seem to help with keeping track of the tail.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5442.jpg
Views:	1203
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	721966   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5443.jpg
Views:	1162
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	721967  

Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

I like it! I would have done the same I like the green & yellow scheme actually.

More inverted lunch-time practice today, with the non-bullet blades. Another crash too (forgot to switch out of normal mode before flipping inverted) Now I can actually laugh at myself when I crash Again, no damage to the heli

Finding out that higher rates actually make upright to inverted and vice-versa easier, and more likely that I can keep the heli in a tighter area ... go figure !

Blade mCPS Flight 73 - Non-Bullet Blades, Inverted, Mini-Crash (4 min 2 sec)

Oh, I also bumped the timer up to 3:30 since the HK NanoTech's seem to be working out great. Still 3.9V after the flights.

Finally, I tried out rescue/panic mode (up high) for the first time - Pretty Neat! Remembering to reach for that button is going to take some getting used to ...

This heli does amazingly well in wind too

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 09-11-2017 at 02:11 PM..
Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

So the motor's speed controller doesn't have any kind of soft-start capability, which makes starting/stopping the rotors with throttle hold while using flat or traditional v-throttle curves rather interesting (read: tip-overs, blade scrapes and chicken dances).

It's looking like starting/stopping the rotors in Normal mode with some sort of gentle throttle curve with a 0 in the first curve point is really the way to go, as per the manual or similar.

I'm modifying the DX6 setup again to simplify my cockpit (ie. the switches) a bit. Currently, in addition to the normal heli controls to keep track of:
  • Roll (Aileron)
  • Pitch (Elevator)
  • Yaw (Rudder)
  • Throttle
  • Collective
I also have the following switches to deal with:
  • Throttle Hold (ON/OFF)
  • Flight Mode (3 Position)
  • Dual Rates & Expo (Hi/Low)
  • Stability (ON/OFF)
  • Panic (Momentary PushButton)
Right now while trying to practice inverted stuff my squirrel brain is a bit overloaded so simplifying the switches seems like a good idea, for now anyway:
  • Throttle Hold (2-position switch)
  • Flight Mode/Dual Rates & Expo/Stability (all combined on one 3-Position switch)
  • Panic (Momentary PushButton 2-position switch)

I've turned off dual rates for Normal mode since cylic is limited anyway and dual rates just limit it even more. But, I've added some expo (25%) across the board, again for now, (cuz I like it). In Normal mode Stability will be on, which is fine for takeoffs and landings or putt-ing around inside. In Stunt1 and Stunt2 Stability is off, which is what I want as throttle and pitch curves and dual rates/expo settings will define how the heli behaves.

I'm trying a lower throttle curve in Stunt1 (compared to Stunt2) just to see if there's any benefit (read longer flight times). I can't really tell RPM differences based on sound between 100 and 90, so I'm trying 85. I don't really know if lower throttle values are an issue with this brushed motor and controller as they are with brushless motors and controllers. I'm not expecting super low head speeds to be possible as it seems this heli doesn't have a lot of overhead. But I would like to know what is there, if any.

We'll see how this works out ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DX6 Setting Chart 02.PNG
Views:	1115
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	722179  

Last edited by FR4-Pilot; 09-10-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in