Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > OXY HELI > Oxy2

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Best combination of FBL & cyclic servos?

What would be the better option for this little bird?
I know the ubrain with lynx 895 is a good match, easy to setup and also fit. I will like everybody's opinion on the KST X08 servos with BD 3SX. Thanks..
Macaco2512 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2017, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

If not mistaken, I believe the BD3SX needed some shaving or possibly decasing to fit. The KST X08 servos are probably good now that you can find an ESC with higher voltage BEC. Before the HW25A, which is adjustable up to 7.4v I believe, we were stuck in the below 6v range which for most people made the X08 too slow. I would say that problem is solved with the new ESC.

EGODRIFT Team, Lynx/Oxy Field Rep
jrman83 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2017, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another option are the MKS servos You can run DS480s all around, including tail. They are 1g heavier than the X08, faster at any voltage and less expensive. (Note that the MKS are standard voltage servos that will run fine to at least 6v. Have not tried them above that.)

For servos like these with standard connectors, it's really better to go with a mini FBL. The Brain2 or Spartan vX1e both fit fine and are about the same weight.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thank you for your inputs. I do have one MKS 480 that I'm putting on the tail, but would like to have metal case servos on the front. Mini FBL brain 2 is probably going to be my choice. But I'm still open to other suggestions.Thanks...
Macaco2512 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2017, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Wow what a strange servo. Expensive ass HV servo that's slower on HV than most run of the mill non HV servos.

What's the point, are they monsters in the torque dept or something??

Almost double the price of a 215mg for a smaller, slower servo.....does not compute lol

Are there any cheap servo options for the Oxy2 that are decent? Helidirect sale price on the kit is tempting but I'd hate to spend more on servos than I would on a 450..yowsa

Also wondering if anyone has squeezed full size fbl on a O2 yet? Have a spare SK540 that's a little smaller than a full size Brain/ikon. If I could get it to work I just might pull the trigger if it's still on sale
Old 08-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by learnedthehardway View Post
Wow what a strange servo. Expensive ass HV servo that's slower on HV than most run of the mill non HV servos.

Almost double the price of a 215mg for a smaller, slower servo.....does not compute lol

Are there any cheap servo options for the Oxy2 that are decent? Helidirect sale price on the kit is tempting but I'd hate to spend more on servos than I would on a 450..yowsa

Also wondering if anyone has squeezed full size fbl on a O2 yet? Have a spare SK540 that's a little smaller than a full size Brain/ikon. If I could get it to work I just might pull the trigger if it's still on sale
I had a Vbar Neo sitting around, so i figured why not....
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	717986
Old 08-04-2017, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpecot View Post
I think the antenna holder is done to be used the other way around no? To get the two antennas and push them 90 degrees to each other...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170715_103632-934x1663.jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	717997  
Old 08-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
I think the antenna holder is done to be used the other way around no? To get the two antennas and push them 90 degrees to each other...

I actually stole this idea from the way that Chris Reibert had his set up. You might be right. Thanks
Old 08-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpecot View Post
Attachment 717986
Thank you
Old 08-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you
You're welcome!
Old 08-06-2017, 03:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I am running the O2 with vbar mini. I had to decase it. I am still struggling with a minor wobble and tail wag in a hover. Other than that it flies great.

But now I am wondering all the time is the wobble caused by bad fbl tuning, the decased fbl or my cheap servos.

So I would think twice before going with a decased FBL...

Gesendet von meinem KIW-L21 mit Tapatalk
Hobee is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

I have micro Spirit and absolutely love it with OXY2.
It fly as a big heli but is super fast
wesleyp is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 02:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

X08's are glider servos. No ESC or BEC. People run them straight off a 2s lipo. I guess those guys have their own criteria of what makes a good servo. Hence the price.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am using Micro Brain 2 with HV0714 servos from hawk-rc

http://www.hawk-creation.com/index.p...5430&search=hs

HV0714 DIGI servo on OXY 2 (0 min 50 sec)

They work well so far.
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 09:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:

I'm sitting on the sidelines as well due to servo costs. Just not going to pay $25+ for servos for a little micro.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

It's worth spending the money. You get the accuracy that makes the model fly well, and the reliability to make them last.

It's an investment for sure, but I don't skimp on servos for helis (planes yes, but even there you see the difference).
myxiplx is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 11:58 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakky View Post
I'm sitting on the sidelines as well due to servo costs. Just not going to pay $25+ for servos for a little micro.
I tried my Savöx SH-0261MG first in my OXY 2, then I tried rather cheap Emax ES 08MD.
Both servos worked fine as swash servos.

Anyway, then I bought a set of Lynx DS-985 HV alu. They are really rather expensive here in Austria (130 € - ca. 155 US$).

But: I could really find a difference and an improvement in flight characteristics.
I am by far no professional and 3d crack.
But I could feel it.
The Lynx servos are faster, the helis reaction is more crispy, better/faster flips and rolls.

So in this case (much) more money gives improvement in flight characteristics.
Downside: One servo electronic broke without reason.

Actually the plastic version is very cheap at Lynx website (was even cheaper on the weekend)... and their performance should be equal.

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

I suppose you could try Spektrum H2060 servos but you will need to do a servo saver mod or get the metal geared version.

Another cheap one you can consider is the Blue Arrow D05080MG which is reported to be identical to the Lynx servos. They come with plastic or metal cases. The problem with plastic cases as in the case of the H2060 servos is that the tabs can break in a crash.

D05180MGX3

D05180MG-M-COMBO
zadaw is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsneffe View Post
I tried my Savöx SH-0261MG first in my OXY 2, then I tried rather cheap Emax ES 08MD.
Both servos worked fine as swash servos.

Anyway, then I bought a set of Lynx DS-985 HV alu. They are really rather expensive here in Austria (130 € - ca. 155 US$).

But: I could really find a difference and an improvement in flight characteristics.
I am by far no professional and 3d crack.
But I could feel it.
The Lynx servos are faster, the helis reaction is more crispy, better/faster flips and rolls.

So in this case (much) more money gives improvement in flight characteristics.
Downside: One servo electronic broke without reason.

Actually the plastic version is very cheap at Lynx website (was even cheaper on the weekend)... and their performance should be equal.

Walter
Hmm, didn't know the ES08mds would fit, that is certainly more my kind of price, I have some of the 09s and they seem like decent servos so far. At $6 a pop, its just easy to replace them instead of playing games with them.
yakky is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Yes, they are really cheap now at Banggood.

I bought the ES08MD around two years ago to upgrade a crappy NE SP287 (sold) and now have them lying around (use partly for microcrawlers). They were much more expensive at those times (guess was about 11 € a piece), but still cheap.

I only tried them, because one of my Savöx SH-0261MG made a problem (they are rather old) and I did want to fly my OXY 2 this weekend.
Guess I had to sand the tabs a little bit, but they fit.
And of course I had to change the servo plugs.

They worked quite fine.
But you would feel the difference if you'd change to the Lynx 895MG later.

Walter
yakky likes this.
donaldsneffe is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in