Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SL Gain

Hi Guys:

If the "Control Rate" gain is reduced to dumb down the flight controls, the SL travel is also reduced. Can the previous SL travel be maintained without disturbing the dumbing down settings? Increasing the SL gain to max doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks, Bill
Bill Fleming is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Bill,
If you got the "dumb down the controls" idea from something I may have said, that was a poor choice of words on my part.

SL gain is adjusted to control how much effort or how quickly the SK makes an attitude adjustment back to level.

With the SL set to 200, the attitude adjustment made by the SK to drive the airframe back to level will be very abrupt.
With the SL set to 100, the attitude adjustment made by the SK to drive the airframe back to level will be much softer than when set to 200. It will still try to correct the attitude of the airframe with lower SL gain numbers but it won't try as hard and wouldn't be as noticeable by the pilot controlling the model.

As an example with what I am doing with my Velos with applying spray cleaner to my house, I wanted to have good control but at the same time have docile hover performance for a long accurate hover.

Without SL turned on I had to work hard at keeping a focused hover.
With SL turned on I could relax a little during the hover and the SL feature would assist making my work load smaller.

I tried two different SL gains. The first was set to 100, and the second was set to 150.
The gain setting of 100 was just what I was looking for, it calmed down my hover very well and allowed me to control the model properly.
The gain setting of 150 I found tried to interfere to often during the flight which in my case I didn't like.
The pilot just learning to hover would benefit from the higher gain settings because it won't let you roll or pitch the model over very far at all, it fights it.
Lower gain settings will allow greater pitch and roll to occur before the SL tries to prevent it.

For a new pilot, he should start with a higher SL gain number and gradually lower the number as his experience level increases.

Hope all this helped in the understanding.
SL won't dumb down the controls it prevents how far over the model can be pitched and from there, how fast it comes back to level.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
Hi Guys:

If the "Control Rate" gain is reduced to dumb down the flight controls, the SL travel is also reduced. Can the previous SL travel be maintained without disturbing the dumbing down settings? Increasing the SL gain to max doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks, Bill
Bill, the SL gain is simply a percentage multiplier of your control rates. For example control rates of 250 degrees per second with a SL gain of 200 would "in theory" result in a rescue or SL at 500 degrees per second. If you have low control rates, then your max SL value will be based on that number and be lower as well.

The actual values you get will ultimately depend on the mechanical ability and setup of the model. You could have control rates of 500 with a SL gain of 200, and the model isnt going to move at 1000* per second if you dont have enough head speed and cyclic pitch to actually achieve that rate.

If you are getting to the point that you see no change at all with increased SL, you might be at the physical limits of what your setup can provide.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi Tony:

This helps a lot. What I found initially was the SL had very little effect after reducing the control rate. I see now that it is due to the very docile control rate setting. If the control rate is increased and some exponential is added in the trans,I guess I would just be adding some SL and then taking it back away via the exponential. What I am trying to do is add some initial stability and then start reducing the stability as the student progresses. Might be more trouble than it's worth. lol

Thanks, Bill
Bill Fleming is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
Hi Tony:

This helps a lot. What I found initially was the SL had very little effect after reducing the control rate. I see now that it is due to the very docile control rate setting. If the control rate is increased and some exponential is added in the trans,I guess I would just be adding some SL and then taking it back away via the exponential. What I am trying to do is add some initial stability and then start reducing the stability as the student progresses. Might be more trouble than it's worth. lol

Thanks, Bill
Exponential shouldn't have any effect as far your SL goes. Its simply softening your controls near center stick, however too much expo along with very low control rates my yield a model that you feel like you are chasing instead of flying it.

There can come a point that things start to feel very spongy and disconnected when the controls are dumbed down too much, and this can make things harder instead of easier due to the delay in control response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.