Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Skookum Robotics

Skookum Robotics Skookum Robotics SK-360 SK-540 & SK-720 Digital Flybar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default SK720 GPS2 Issue

Hi,

I have setup my 720 with the gps2 and LZR, when I took it for a test fly the gps will not find home and/or take heli to safe altitude depending on what mode I use. When the heli initialises I get the solid blue on the gps and the swash bump saying all is good. I have performed another compass swing and it shows as being successful in the software, BUT the software still shows the gps as being NOT CONNECTED?? I have cycled power, had tx and rx on and off etc but no luck, does anyone know what may be the issue here? It is running latest rev firmware.

SLL

Screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	690012  
Scoobalimalima is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I have turned on my Tx and Rx then connected to setup software, this time I get a green bar with OK as per screenshot below. When I disconnect the Sk from the computer it says Not Connected on the left and NOT CONNECTED in red in the box, NOW I get Not Connected on the left and a Green OK in the box with live data showing above, Does this mean I am connected now?? I'm confused because it always says Not Connected to the left? If anyone has the same setup and could let me know if they get the ame or not it would be much appreciated.

SLL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	690079  
Old 01-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobalimalima View Post
I have turned on my Tx and Rx then connected to setup software, this time I get a green bar with OK as per screenshot below. When I disconnect the Sk from the computer it says Not Connected on the left and NOT CONNECTED in red in the box, NOW I get Not Connected on the left and a Green OK in the box with live data showing above, Does this mean I am connected now?? I'm confused because it always says Not Connected to the left? If anyone has the same setup and could let me know if they get the ame or not it would be much appreciated.

SLL
The "connected" status only applies to your physical connection to the SK software and the gyro being recognized. When connected you will see your gyros serial number and firmware version showing in the right upper corner as well as your GPS serial number on the GPS tab.

You are not connected unless you are physically plugged in using the USB. Both of your screen shots show a connected unit and GPS and looks completely normal for a unit connected to the SK software with both showing green. I have no idea why they have words "not connected" next to the GPS status as these are permanently fixed words that never change in the software. The words "connection status" would make more sense as you are connected if you see the green status bar next to it. You will see a n/c next to the serial numbers of the units if there really is no connection.

The term "connected" does not concern any connection between the unit and the TX itself if that is what you are asking. The TX doesnt even have to be on unless you wish to see the live data controls while connected up to the software.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Are both the GPS and the LED have a steady Blue light on? During bootup, it sometimes takes several minutes to get two Blues.

It looks like you're OK.

Dennis
TRex700MRX is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

There is no issue with the Gyro being 'connected' etc, it's the GPS until, if you look at my screen shots you will see what I mean. As I said, the GPS did not seem to be doing it's job when I went for a test flight.

SLL
Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobalimalima View Post
There is no issue with the Gyro being 'connected' etc, it's the GPS until, if you look at my screen shots you will see what I mean. As I said, the GPS did not seem to be doing it's job when I went for a test flight.

SLL
Your GPS is connected. I can read the serial numbers coming from it and you have the green OK status bar indicating the connection and good compass swing. That only occurs when its connected to the PC.

Those words "not connected" next to the box never changes and is just a poor label of what that box next to it does. It should more appropriately read "connection status" as its the box data that you are looking at, not the label next to the box.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok thankyou that's what I wanted to hear, so it is a typo on the label then. I wonder why my heli was not doing as it was supposed to then when I selected altitude hold and position hold. I have it set for 5m and the LZR works fine also, it just drifted around and began loosing altitude until it was only a meter from the deck then I switched back to manual mode, maybe it was a bad compass swing?? I'm not sure as when I got home all seemed well other than that stupid 'not connected' label. The self level function was working so there must not have been an issue with vibration. I will test fly again soon and see how I go.

Cheers,

SLL
Old 01-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

In GPS control, the sticks still can slew the altitude or position. Make sure they're neutral. Make sure that when you activate the gps switches the "user mode" status changes in the gps tab, ensuring that your selections are seen by the gps. Dan
Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Correct.....the unit looks for the collective stick to be in a normal stable hover position which is just above mid stick when using a linear pitch curve.

Any higher or lower with the collective and the model thinks you want it to glo up or down slowly and will follow the stick position.

There was no issue with vibration if your SL worked and the unit wasnt flashing red/green LRD error state. The SL will disable as well as the GPS in this state, so you cant have one working without the other.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm beginning to think that maybe the GPS issues I had in flight is vibration related after all. On inspection of my post flight vibe log I am getting spikes on the tail just over 10 at times when running 1250rpm head speed. When I first lifted off the head speed was 1150rpm it was not long after that I decided to try out the self level feature which worked fine, after that I then selected 1200rpm and flew for a bit more and then it was only after I selected 1250rpm head speed that I tried the GPS functions, I'm thinking that selecting 1250rpm has put the vibes over the threshold for these features to work but I did not pick that up at the time, I was so excited after my first test flight that I was a little distracted and forgot to check the Sk's LED for the telltale red flicker indicating excessive vibes. I decided to disassemble the tail and investigate, well wouldn't you know it the tail rotor shaft is out of true, not by much but enough to cause high vibes thats for sure! I have installed a new one which is actually a spare Trex 450 main shaft I had laying around. I will go for another test flight in the coming days and see if I can get this beast sorted and look at installing into the fuse.

Thanks for the help guys.

SLL
Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default sk720 Blue and GPS2 No gps lock

I have been using SK720 Blue for over 3 years, and have had a great experience

I recently got the GPS2 with the Led and installed it.
Installation was simple, i also finally got the Compass Swing right, and it indicated on the software also as compass swing completed

However, one problem is no resolving.

Sk720 Software 4.09 ( I hope this update was for the BLUE SK720
Firmware 4.05
Gyro Serial no 1781
GPS2 Serial no 2144
Firmware 1.21

During the setup, I am able to programme Aux2 to GPS sw1, and have set it to Manual/Position Hold/Soft Floor. The indications on the Computer are indicating correctly.
BUT
when i select GPS sw1 to Manual, and now make selections to GPS sw2, with Aux3, nothing happens.
ALSO
I have Cyclic Bank selected to Aux4, and when i make a selection, nothing happens.

However, it appears, that only if i make Aux2 to GPS sw2 or make it Cyclic Bank, i can see it work. It looks like the software is only accepting Aux2, so i am stuck with only 2 options of GPS.

So any selections to Aux3 or Aux4, just does not work.

I have checked the monitor on the Tx to make sure i have correct selections on the 3 switches. Also all the sw are 3 post sw.

I am attaching a video to show my sw operation and software indications.

ANOTHER PROBLEM
Inspite of a successful Compass Swing, I am not getting any GPS lock, inspite of Visible Sats - 21 and Acquired Sats - 19
I have tried powering up repeatedly and waiting for as long as 5 to 10 min, with no luck.

Image of Sat lock attached,
video of sw selections attached.

I am using the Power bus with a 2 cell Lipo, and the bright led. The Led indicates the same as the led on the Gyro.
I have not had a steady or solid blue over the past 3 days that i have tried.

Ramesh Tahlan SK720 GPS sw and Cyclic (0 min 26 sec)
rameshtahlan is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

For switches not working...what is your communication protocol between receiver and Skookum? In the CONTROL tab, are your switches and channels set up correctly? The serial data stream needs the switches' position channels in the right order in the stream, same as the flight channels. Have you determined that as well?

Since your GPS switch 1 is working, change that to position 2 or cyclic bank and see if it works in those positions. If it does, something is not right in the other switch set ups. See the other thread about the satellites. Dan
Old 04-08-2017, 12:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi guys,
My problem of GPS2 lock still not sorted out.

as was shown in my previous video, that the banks or GPS2 switches were not working,
So i reprogrammed the SK720 all over again.
and now my Bank 1 and 2 for cyclic and tail work,
and also the GPS sw 1 and 2 work.

BUT, the GPS lock still does not take place, inspite of waiting 10 min

that leaves no doubt that the GPS2 i got is faulty.

so here is another video to show that programming is correct, I am indoors off course, so ignore the GPS visibility. this is to show that programmed sw work.

After waiting for quite some time, Skookum finally replied to my email. I have given them all the details. In the mean time i have raised the issue with EBAY, and they have asked me to send GPS2 back to seller, then the seller will check it, and then decide on the refund.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XMdqJQ83Q&feature=youtu.be"]Ramesh Tahlan Sk GPS2 reprogrammed - YouTube[/ame]
Old 08-02-2017, 01:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Guys,

has anyone received and update on GPS2 firmware of software,
I am still stuck.
unable to use GPS2,
and no reply from Skookum guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.