Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > 3Digi FBL System

3Digi FBL System 3Digi Supoort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Flyfun V5 RPM signal problems (was Grounding RPM port?)

My ESC (Flyfun V5) has an RPM signal output which has only one wire (signal wire only). Would it harm the 3DIGI to ground the RPM port to the negative of the receiver battery (2S lipo)? I'm having issues with governor stability and I want to eliminate this as a possible cause. I can hear the motor going up and down in RPM slightly with an accompanying tail twitch.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 08-22-2017 at 05:07 PM..
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017, 12:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

The GND pins of the 3digi are all connected anyway.
So I think that would not bring any advantage.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
DirkS is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2017, 01:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think I'm closer to fixing the unstable RPM, I had to lower the gains a lot more with the Flyfun V5 than I did with the YGE. Not sure if it's the new ESC or if some change was made with the governor in version 2 of the firmware.

Is there a difference between lowering the I. and P. gains separately and lowering the overall gain? e.g. if I lower P. gain and I. gain by 20 does that have the same effect as lowering the overall gain by 20?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Is there a difference between lowering the I. and P. gains separately and lowering the overall gain? e.g. if I lower P. gain and I. gain by 20 does that have the same effect as lowering the overall gain by 20?
Overall gain effects both I and P.
But itīs more a percent thing. If you for example decrease the overall gain by 10 percent then both P and I are decreased by 10 percent.

Example: overall from 60 to 54 (-10%) would be the same as P from 30 to 27 (-10%) and I from 40 to 36 (-10%).

Dirk
www.3digi.de
Old 08-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Today I tried using a Hobbywing external RPM sensor and it made a dramatic difference. There is something about the Flyfun V5's RPM signal output that the 3DIGI does not like. It's not the dropouts that the Platinum V4 has but seems to be a problem with RPM stability.

Can you take a look at this and see if you can give me any ideas?

This is the internal RPM signal output from the Hobbywing Flyfun V5 160A HV

And this is with a Hobbywing RPM sensor (btw it works fine with 3.3v so you don't actually have to power it from a separate servo port). Notice how the RPM and throttle output is smoother with the external sensor and as well the P-gain part of the governor has a smoother response to disturbances in the RPM. With the internal RPM signal the tail twitches constantly but with the external sensor it does not.

The "governor active" messages are just me changing parameter sets btw.

Governor settings were 50 for I gain 30 for p gain and 30 for overall gain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flyfun_RPM_signal.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	720314   Click image for larger version

Name:	external_RPM_signal.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	720315  
Attached Files
File Type: txt flyfun_v5_internal_RPM_signal_out.4DF.txt (1.05 MB, 4 views)
File Type: txt hobbywing_external_RPM_sensor.4DF.txt (1.28 MB, 206 views)
Old 08-23-2017, 02:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Today I tried using a Hobbywing external RPM sensor and it made a dramatic difference.
I think you exaggerate here a little.
I canīt see a "dramatic" difference here.

The sensors both seem to work OK.
With the internal sensor, the RPM varies with about +-20RPM, with the external sensor with about +-15RPM.
That is both not much and little the difference may also be a result of for example different weather conditions (wind?).

When I take a look into the logs I can see the tail moving a little, but not in combination with the RPM changes.

I donīt think itīs a sensor problem, but maybe there are possibilities for some gov parameter optimizations.
Quote:
Governor settings were 50 for I gain 30 for p gain and 30 for overall gain.
If the +-20RPM are too much for you can try to optimize the gov settings. Put the overall gov gain on a knob or slider of your transmitter and try find the optimal setting.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
Hi

I think you exaggerate here a little.
I canīt see a "dramatic" difference here.
I mean how noisy the RPM graph is with the internal sensor vs with the external sensor. Additionally the P part response is noisier with the internal sensor, I'm assuming because of the noisier RPM signal input.

I tried for a couple days to get rid of the tail twitch, even with the overall gain turned down to 10 the tail twitch was still there. However, with the external sensor the twitch is gone even with the gain turned up to 40.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Hobbywing Flyfun ESCs are meant primarily for planes and EDFs and have a very fast throttle response compared to e.g. a YGE or Scorpion ESC. So a noisy RPM signal might not cause problems with those ESCs but the Flyfun ESC might be fast enough to respond to the noise in the throttle output that results from the noisy RPM input signal.

What if there was the option of a filter value on the RPM signal input similar to how the gyro sensor signals are filtered. It would smooth out the noisy RPM signal that some ESCs seem to have and make the governor better behaved in those situations.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

The RPM signal is already filtered. Mainly because of the bad signal quality of some HW ESCs.

Problem with the P-part? Did you actually look at the governor P-part in the flight data? Itīs nearly nearly all the time at 0 in your flight logs. Even with the noisy Funfly signal.

Dirk
www.3digi.de
Old 08-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkS View Post
The RPM signal is already filtered. Mainly because of the bad signal quality of some HW ESCs.

Problem with the P-part? Did you actually look at the governor P-part in the flight data? Itīs nearly nearly all the time at 0 in your flight logs. Even with the noisy Funfly signal.
I'll experiment with raising the p-gain then. Also I tried a scorpion opto cable and it seemed to improve things somewhat. At the very least it ensures that the signal output to the FBL unit is at 3.3v.

Also, this is what the the soldering on the opto cable looks like, it's pretty horrifying.

I wasn't sure if I could get the glue off to solder on new leads so what I ended up doing is putting a blob of Dow Corning #748 on each end of the board to support the wires and recovered it in shrink tubing after it had set.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scorpion opto cable.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	720844  

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 08-28-2017 at 11:46 AM..
Old 08-30-2017, 01:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Found something interesting in another thread, I'm going on the assumption that the Flyfun V5 has something similar going on. This is the Hobbywing Platinum V4 RPM signal. Notice how the low part of the signal is around 1.2v or so. It looks like Hobbywing really screwed up the design on this.

This is the signal with a transistor and resistor added to the input:

This is the schematic he used:

I'm going to try that next, I'm pretty sure a 2N2222A should work in place of the BC547.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hobbywing_DSC_0105.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	721061  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.