Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE


Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > Multi Rotor Support > FPV Racing Discussion


FPV Racing Discussion FPV Racing Discussion


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default Need Advise for FPV RACING DRONE.

I usually fly RC heli and Dji's Equipment. But Now I want to try Racing Drones as a layman I just need Advise that what items/equipment I need to build my own racing drone and what items i need to procure please list the items for me that what I have to get before stating ti build. For e.g Frame, Control unit, motors, esc's etc...
Regards


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Aziz Sharif is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 12,646
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz Sharif View Post
I usually fly RC heli and Dji's Equipment. But Now I want to try Racing Drones as a layman I just need Advise that what items/equipment I need to build my own racing drone and what items i need to procure please list the items for me that what I have to get before stating ti build. For e.g Frame, Control unit, motors, esc's etc...
Regards


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hi there, while I am new to Quads myself the basic stuff your going to need to build your own race quad will be miniunim

Quad frame of your choice
4X motors
4X escs
a power distribution board to hook all the motors and escs up to this is also
Or now i think they make a Flight controller board that everything can hook straight to..
With quads its a little different from Helicopter the way the electronics work. I am still learning myself.

I am pretty sure the racers all use separate escs on there quads. I have a spedix250 pro and it has one unit all the motors hook to. but i believe once you get serious then separate escs for each motor is better.

Your going to need your FPV camera for your quad and
VTX to run it..( what the camera hooks to, the RX for it to send signal to your goggles)
Antenna for the VTX

Goggles for your FPV
Antenna for the goggles. Most goggles and VTX come with them but most upgrade.

Have you ever flown FPV? I know you said you have a DJI but there a little driffrent, when you put on googles its a whole nother world.

If not i would suggest buying a cheap RTF or BNF quad with FPV and some cheap goggles maybe to see how you like it, its different I have been flying for 27 years line of site and maybe that is what has messed me up doing FPV. its strange to be inside the aircraft you can't see on the side of you or behind you only in front, I have hit a few things and honestly thought i would be better by now but only been doing it about a month

Good luck and Im sure others will have better info, not sure how active this part of the site is, RCG seems to have more followers there for the FPV stuff
__________________
Goblin 500,XLP 550,OMP M2,600N,600E,lots of Planes Powered by NX10 AMA 34 yrs.


Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 1,891
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Default

You'll have to dig in with youtube videos to walk you through some things.

Look up Joshua Bardwell, Blue Falcon Project, and UAVFutures.

Unlike helicopters and other hobbies, the FPV racing drone technology changes FAST. Information that is 6+ months old is most likely outdated, and information that is 1 year old could be even dangerous to try to use now.

So learn the basics, build up from there, and try to get the newest stuff to keep your frustration levels down. The old stuff was not reliable in any way, and it barely worked compared to the latest gear.
__________________

Fauropitotto is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoweredrc View Post
Hi there, while I am new to Quads myself the basic stuff your going to need to build your own race quad will be miniunim

Quad frame of your choice
4X motors
4X escs
a power distribution board to hook all the motors and escs up to this is also
Or now i think they make a Flight controller board that everything can hook straight to..
With quads its a little different from Helicopter the way the electronics work. I am still learning myself.

I am pretty sure the racers all use separate escs on there quads. I have a spedix250 pro and it has one unit all the motors hook to. but i believe once you get serious then separate escs for each motor is better.

Your going to need your FPV camera for your quad and
VTX to run it..( what the camera hooks to, the RX for it to send signal to your goggles)
Antenna for the VTX

Goggles for your FPV
Antenna for the goggles. Most goggles and VTX come with them but most upgrade.

Have you ever flown FPV? I know you said you have a DJI but there a little driffrent, when you put on googles its a whole nother world.

If not i would suggest buying a cheap RTF or BNF quad with FPV and some cheap goggles maybe to see how you like it, its different I have been flying for 27 years line of site and maybe that is what has messed me up doing FPV. its strange to be inside the aircraft you can't see on the side of you or behind you only in front, I have hit a few things and honestly thought i would be better by now but only been doing it about a month

Good luck and Im sure others will have better info, not sure how active this part of the site is, RCG seems to have more followers there for the FPV stuff


Thank you for your quick response & listing items for me super easy

Please let me know that as I'm newbie in Drone Racing. I have to move on step by step should I build my own Racing Drone or its better to purchase something like Vortex or TBS VENDETTA ?

If you suggest me that I should build my own than whats the best option for me like which size should I build which Control Unit is good, which Googles to Get etc....

I haven't tried FPV but I fly DJI Inspire & I have few 700 size Heli's Goblins and Terexs.... !!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Aziz Sharif is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauropitotto View Post
You'll have to dig in with youtube videos to walk you through some things.

Look up Joshua Bardwell, Blue Falcon Project, and UAVFutures.

Unlike helicopters and other hobbies, the FPV racing drone technology changes FAST. Information that is 6+ months old is most likely outdated, and information that is 1 year old could be even dangerous to try to use now.

So learn the basics, build up from there, and try to get the newest stuff to keep your frustration levels down. The old stuff was not reliable in any way, and it barely worked compared to the latest gear.


Thanks for your help.
I will definitely check the Videos. Just let me know can I use my Futaba Radio with Racings Drones as well and what do you this is the way forward for a person like me who has a background of Rc Heli's from where should I take start as there a lot of brands and should I build my own that would be cheap or should I gat a RTF drone like TBS VENDETTA or Vortex ? Whats your take on this ? Do let me know.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Aziz Sharif is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 12,646
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Georgia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz Sharif View Post
Thank you for your quick response & listing items for me super easy

Please let me know that as I'm newbie in Drone Racing. I have to move on step by step should I build my own Racing Drone or its better to purchase something like Vortex or TBS VENDETTA ?

If you suggest me that I should build my own than whats the best option for me like which size should I build which Control Unit is good, which Googles to Get etc....

I haven't tried FPV but I fly DJI Inspire & I have few 700 size Heli's Goblins and Terexs.... !!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Most people say to build your first one, that way you will understand just how everything works... Are you good at soldering? if not, then hope you have a good friend who is and likes to do it.. I amnot the best but i think im getting better. I still not built my own quad yet. I am trying to decide what quad i want to build there are so many good choices out there. I like watching a guy on youtube who goes by Le Drib but hes not into racing he just freestyles. i guess that what I am trying to get more into. its just where i live there isn't any racing stuff going on as far as i know.

You fly Futaba so you might have to change out RX's or something cause it seems most of the BNF stuff is geared towards Spektrum or Taransis

I would youtube some and see what you like. the guy the other guy said Joshua Bardwell, hes really good and gives great info on stuff.

I have the Spedix250 pro i really like it but not sure anyone is racing with it.. the Black Knight 210 and 250 kinda replaced it its suppose to be better. Ive heard names like Rotor Riot , MQC a couple of seemed named brand frames. then there are so many different motors and Escs out there. guess that's why i not built my own cause so hard to choose.
as far as googles , I have pulled my hair out trying to make up my mind what is the best. Fat shark Denominator V3's are the ones I want.. i have messed with box goggles and just not been happy so far.
__________________
Goblin 500,XLP 550,OMP M2,600N,600E,lots of Planes Powered by NX10 AMA 34 yrs.


Epoweredrc is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2017, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users
 
Posts: 5,760
 
My HF Map location
Join Date: Jul 2007
Default

Look for fpv groups in your area, they will most likely have a Facebook page. They are much more useful as far as info goes than the forums here. You can also get good deals on stuff you need because those guys are always upgrading or trying new stuff. Once you have goggles, the rest of it is pretty cheap, alarmingly cheap compared to helicopters.

I started screwing with an fpv racer earlier this year. Bought a 180 size quad and a box goggle for 150 bones at a swap meet. Only a few weeks later after joining a local fpv Facebook page I scored a set of Fatshark Dominator V3s for 200 bones and those made the experience so much better. The quad is not right this minute tech but flies well. It's on a HMB 180 frame that is a thick plastic that is indestructible. Emax motors, not sure the escs and a Naze 32 acro board. That's not the latest greatest board but it flips, rolls, yaws and flies so I'm not sure how much better it needs to be. It's flashed with Betaflight so really it's about how good you are at tweaking the settings. Me, it flies fine so I don't even want to touch that stuff lol.

It's a lot of fun though, I just mob around freestyling and it's a hoot. I can stick a Mobius cam that I have on it for some sweet high def footage if I feel like it. Oh and yeah when you watch the videos that look really good that is not what you see in the goggles, it's a separate high Def camera. What you see in the goggles is analog low def, too much lag in high Def video transmition to race or freestyle with.

So yeah, look for a sweet deal from local racers or at least just get with them. They usually are cool and let people try the gear out. The first hit is free lol....
__________________
700 size scale Bell Jet Ranger 206BIII, 450 size scale UH-1N, 180 size fpv race/freestyle quad w/Fatshark Dominator V3 goggles, mCPX BL, some edf jets and a plank or two, DX8, AMA# 923167, Clubs: Silver Hills RC, Coeur D Alene Modelers Association
JasonJ is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply




Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Location
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Copyright © Website Acquisitions Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1