Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopters > New Member Section

New Member Section If you are new to HF, please tell us a little bit about yourself. What Helis do you fly? You will find our community very friendly, why not break the ice and introduce yourself.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By toadiscoil
  • 1 Post By toadiscoil
  • 1 Post By HeliSmith
  • 1 Post By jammer.cwh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Hello To All HeliFreaks, Noobe From the lone star state Here

Hi,Ola, Shalom, from South Central Texas, San Antonio for sure.....
I know you guy's said tell us a little bit about yourself....Butt
Long winded version...sorry

I am 50+ years young, and Dyslexic...sometimes anally retentive too as well but that's TMI..., none the less a Computer Tech Wiz (hardware mostly)..but learning software and coding thru udemy.com ,I like R/C, and computers, Ubuntu Linux or any flavor there of,Raspberry Pi's and Rock-n-Roll, Stevie ray, and Joe Satriani, Gary Moore,and Mountain biking alas but a noobe, to helicopter's...,

I flew airplanes back 17+ years ago in 2000, and had a couple planes and an jr, or futaba analog 72mhz trans I think it was.., so was not into heli's because of cost issues back then...they had just come out with a micro mini heli,the tech was brand new back then and the control gyro was very expensive for like $500.00 to $600.00 dollars U.S.

So got away from r/c in general, to learn computer's and tech support..

So enter 2016 and darn it, you can buy a wltoys v911 fixed pitch single blade heli for $30.00 to $40.00 dollars U.S...,;

I didn't like the double bladed stuff they have for kids and noob's now, (ironically enough it was that double bladed Helicopter that I messed with and got flying that got me hooked on learning to fly heli's now)....
I did get the wltoys v911 ,single blade with flybar because it looked more real I guess.. so spent a couple month's learning to fly it...,(would have been less I guess), but I was taught oldschool by my friend that got me going with r/c back twenty+ years ago, that if your going to learn to fly heli's, you need to start by hovering just inches off the ground.. well let me tell you I was worried that I couldn't control it up in the air, so figured if I could hover it inches off the ground then I could control it up in the air..well that is mostly true.. But.. there is a thing we pilots know about and I had temporarily forgotten..GROUND EFFECT , it can be your friend but mostly it is a real witch...if you are not aware of it's effects on the aircraft you are flying at the time...So anyways ...After trial and error, got it in the air... (they say you can not fly it hands off the v911 I am talking about ,but I got news for you, get the servos adjusted right , and subtrims, and gyro enabled and I could let go of the sticks, mind you no ceiling fan breeze, nor cross wind of Anykind... but it would hover for a few seconds before drifting off a little...I could set the trans down and grab it right out of the air pretty slick but for a cheap kids Heli, I was very suitably impressed...
I thought I was an ace chopper pilot after that one Really

Getting off track here...

Then got bored again.. and got a (mind you x5-sw1), now you would rightly think that I am talking about the syma x5-sw1, if you are aware of those things .., But you would be sorely mistaken...,

As Was I,.... even though the ebay.com page clearly has SYMA All over it, I got the clone drone/quad-copter knockoff x5-sw1, from China out of the box the cam didn't work/nor the android app from syma, go figure...,(that's what you get when buying cheap you get cheap), lesson not learned in 50+ years I guess anyways...
Tech support LAW Rule number one, if you didn't spend at least $100.00 on it , it is cheap crap.....you may or may not get it working...nowadays not so much...but back then pre 2000's, you betcha...
So flew it for a while learning quad-copter drone basic's, and didn't really enjoy it, but I was flying something more than my hand in the air so I did it for a little while...And that's another thing that grates on me... ,
It taint a drone it is a helicopter, mostly they are single blade aircraft, I don't REALLY CARE what others think I will never call my heli's DRONES.....DRONES must have come up with that Name.....

So, next thinking I would try my hand at fpv, I got a noname 5.8 g camera with 5" Monitor for like 56.00 dollars U.S.from banggoodcrap.com, it came, and right out of the box the lcd monitor did not work,(funny it said drone parts on the box) but..

I did get the wifi cam to turn on from the trans switch, so got an sdcard and was happy for a minute then... I fried the transmitter,( more on that later...)....So let me back up a minute here as well please...

As I spent some time in registration, explaining and ranting about my equipment, I don't know if that info. is Available to all or just Admins... , I would like to Apologize in Advance to Admin's and everyone about my explaining and ranting in the.., Explain Your Equipment Section...,

I am so frustrated over My Experience with The Walkera Headache Master Cp, and Decvo 7 Transmitter....haha hhaha!
I have to laugh because , otherwise I'd be Balling My Eyes Out....So let me explain...

Back to my story now, feeling Hardy, and full of myself, I decided I wanted to learn 3d tricks and that I would need a good fpv platform, only having v911 experience, didn't want to get to big to fast , so I stepped up to Walkera Master Cp with devo7,( The box says devo7e)and all info for it is wrong not devo7), I know Big Step anyways, and not a great first choice, I Believe Imho for beginners, as all the problems with servos and such..So got wm cp and did a little youtube watching and found throttle and pitch curve info. and was in a hurry and impatient as well...,
So first flight went as expected, because I had listened to this guy on youtube or maybe I read it somewhere that said -3 degrees down pitch was what it was supposed to be,well that is probably true at 0% throttle setting or position 1 as they say in devo7 speak but, for someone who doesn't know or does not have access to that info or advise from experienced heli pilots... It is nothing more than a recipe for crashing and spending more cash.....
So it smacked down because I was not understanding exactly how C/P works,and I never got to practice on it before jumping into flying the M CP, so fried all three plastic servos.... again Arrogance won that day. And I LOST.....
Yes I see you all nodding and winking

On to my next project while awaiting parts, figured I needed to get more experience with cp flying vs. fixed pitch so I did more watching and youtube learning, and found the XK K100 Falcon, by this time I had figured out enough to know...,
I knew exactly diddly squat about Heli's and CP vs. fixed P...So I bought the XK K100 to learn cp and 3d as cheaply as I could, I won my first bid auction with one bid on ebay for the xk k100 and paid $53.99 U.S.+,$10.00 to ship it ... then won my second auction on ebay for flight battery's got five for $10.00 free shipping even ..+++
You still awake over there...boring I know but some people like to read things so...don't worry I am coming to a close soon....

So getting the xk k100 It Is a MUST HAVE for beginners or even new pilots to CP or 3D flying...when it crashes your not out $50.00 dollars on servos that is for sure, most of the time you just put it back on the ground and take off and keep flying, if your going to get one I would suggest watching this video from youtube.com by alishanmao..(Not the same guy from above , -3 degrees pitch crap). He does know what he is talking about from what I have learned and experienced...It is about setting throttle and pitch curves for the xk100, xk110, and others if you want they are aggressive as he states... but the only thing I changed was the gyro setting I put mine at 50% instead of 75%,
And am happy and satisfied as a Bug in a Rug so to speak...gonna get xk k110 as well just because I can..Will and do like this one so far... xk k100 w/xk6 transmitter, so xk k110 will be bnf of course.....and maybe $5.00 to ten bucks more...

XK K110 Mini RC 3D Helicopter Throttle and Pitch Curves (7 min 37 sec)

So after a dozen flight's and half dozen hard landings without breaking anything , I am starting to understand the dynamics and finesse of cp, flying, it is a skill unmatched except for real piloting of real aircraft , but let me tell you this, again I was worried I could not control it up high so I did half a dozen less than a foot off the ground flight's so as to get better with cp skills in landing it.. Then I took it to the park and opened it up... mind you 6g mode but 50% gyro with aggressive th and pit curves.. It took off and I got it higher than the trees at my park where I fly,(the flying field is too far away, other side of town), so park flying for now.
But I got it higher than the trees and circled it around and back into the wind and dove it in a long swooping dive and then back up...getting teary here but it was THE BEST EXPERIENCE I have had since getting that first heli off the ground .... FRIGGIN AWESOME!!
If someone had told me I could fly a helicopter like a plane, diving and swooping and looping and rolling, I would have responded You Sir are Nuts I cant do that, maybe some experienced Heli pilot could do it but not me I am too dumb and dyslexic and old for that even on a good day....

I will tell you this as well, as long as I can see and understand mentally, I.E. fly competently... , I will fly Heli's until the day the lord takes me from this planet.....I am Hopelessly and Unequivocally Forever HOOKED on R/C Heli's , even if I get back into planes, there will always be and I will make room for Heli's in my flight hanger .....

Ok now for follow up,the xk k100, that day was amazing for me, the very next flight I was testing the throttle hld function at altitude just to see what would happen if I had to enable that feature in a hurry and it simply fell to the grass.., I checked it out and nothing was broken that I could see so I launched it from the picnic table where I was sitting and noticed the motor sound had changed a little bit, high pitched squeal like noise as I was taking off , so I started to bring it back to me to land it and see what was wrong with it, I found out before I could bring it back.. it just fell out of the sky..apparently all the hard landings and testing, made the brushed motors little brass gear come loose, and it fell into the grass I thought no problem I'll just order another from the xk website right?? Wrong there site is still not fully functional yet, not only that but.. you can find a lot of stuff on ebay even the next model up from the xk k100 which is the xk110 brush-less version, the motor and if you just want the brush-less brass gear for less than $3.00 U.S. +shipping , but anyways I could not find it anywhere, and the company that sold me the k100 , wouldn't send me info or another part, they did refund partial payment I got $10.00 U.S.and suggested I could fix it locally what a load of crock...
So after digging thru website after website not finding anything for it other than the regular parts list , blades and such, figured out what the exact part was called , Motor Set, brushed motor and brass gear with part #...I am sure there is another mini heli model that uses this same sized motor and gear set but I didn't want to spend more that I had to on this, almost went on and got the xk110 just because it is easier to find parts for even on ebay but I did manage to find a parts store that had it, linparts.com/, the brushed motor and gear I needed for $4.99 U.S.+shipping another $ 4.00, if you guys need this one it is here, they say they had 900+units of this part.... As far as I know you cant get just the gear for the brushed version, I know and have tried too...

https://www.linparts.com/xk-k100-hel...0#.WZntCVGQzDc

Lastly That fried transmitter for that quad, I don't know about you, But I am always looking and thinking about new ways to tinker with stuff so I know this is not recommended but I bought a wireless rechargeable Mouse for my laptop, And it has a 14500 3.7 volt 400mah, AA size battery in it and that got me to thinking wow so a AA with 3,7 volts cool, so I could bridge the 1st and 4th or 6th slot in the transmitters battery compartment and, wallah no more buying AA battery's, two 14500 single cell 3. 7volt 2500mah $5.00 U.S. for 4 with charger, and free shipping,(big fan of Free shipping), will power the transmitter just fine and I don't have to go broke buying AA batt's anymore yay!!! can post a pic if you want me to....would also suggest taking the transmitter apart to make sure you have the right batt terminal slots bridged

Just one note of Caution HERE: It will void any warranty's So do this at your OWN RISK, Just like me....And Always be very careful of the position of the battery when inserting it (take a magic marker and put big plus sign on positive end so you can see it clearly...,us old fogies just don't see as good as we used to, just one time backwards and zap new transmitter time........

So I know I have talked your hears off ,if your still here...Just wanted to say thanks for listening and just so you know I have an xfx Trex450 v2 coming soon...
So this has been jammer.cwh ranting and raving signing off for now...
p.s. now to my current problem post mcp head-aching
jammer.cwh is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hi and welcome!

And I thought I was the one who wrote long posts!

Well you know it is awesome to read this because it lets anyone who reads it see how passionate you are about the hobby. Which is great because I am also very passionate about it myself. I enjoyed reading your post and hope to see more of you around!

Cheers!
jammer.cwh likes this.
Podcast host Skids Up
toadiscoil is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Well Hello,
And Thanks for Taking an Interest In a Fellow HeliFreak, Life is good, last night I finally got the transmitter linked to my master cp with all the stock settings, but unfortunately, I tried to get it so many times I kinda forgot the exact process but will post something of value over in the master cp forum about how to go about linking the trans Devo7 with that rx2637h-d receiver...

P.S. Simple Really......

Last edited by jammer.cwh; 08-25-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Old 08-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Just So You All know, I am not generally that long winded but I Was Sorely P.O'ed, Not at you guys or anything like that but, the frustration and anxiety,
I have felt over the last few weeks really burnt at me....So I vented, Thank for putting up with it and me....,I hope to give back as much as I take...
jammer.cwh just another HeliFreak

P.S. Update got my xk k100 motor gear set in today, It is supposed to rain today here in south central Texas, like cats and dogs=buckets...for the weekend,.. Guess I'l just have to setup my devo7 trans, and do some sim'ing on my laptop,... O wait I can still fly indoors.... try that with a 450+....Hide the China!!!!....put a piece of wood in front of the T.V. (LCD).HAHAHHAHA LMAO.......
I just wish I had the skills this guy does!!>>>>>.....And I do agree with his last statement....If only it Had!!????>>>>>>....

XK K100 - Inside and Outside Heli? (8 min 59 sec)

Last edited by jammer.cwh; 08-25-2017 at 04:31 PM..
Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Podcast host Skids Up
Old 08-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

http://tinyurl.com/toadiscoil
WOW all I can says is WOW!! Nice!! bro, you definitely in-courage me to excel..., 380 goblin is coming, after the blade 450 v2 clone, and a decent transmitter/receiver , unfortunately on my limited income , I can only spend about $140.00 a month on r/c stuff, so!!???...thank god for ramin noodles.....hahahhahahah......
Old 09-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks buddy! I started going strong with work bonuses, leveraging gifts, getting good deals and buying/selling. But now I am down to $40 every two weeks of heli spend. Just keep saving and wait for good deals and you'll be surprised how much you can get! Make sure you make your research on the seller and you should be fine. The vast majority of the people here are top notch but there is the odd scammer or bad seller. Also seasonal discounts by retailers are good opportunities. Just like learning how to fly, patience will help you a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer.cwh View Post
http://tinyurl.com/toadiscoil
WOW all I can says is WOW!! Nice!! bro, you definitely in-courage me to excel..., 380 goblin is coming, after the blade 450 v2 clone, and a decent transmitter/receiver , unfortunately on my limited income , I can only spend about $140.00 a month on r/c stuff, so!!???...thank god for ramin noodles.....hahahhahahah......
jammer.cwh likes this.
Podcast host Skids Up
Old 09-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

The problem is even though it's a lot of cheap things, albeit -/+ 100 bucks, eventually it will build up to a pile of nothing. Can't resale the junk, almost none of it is reusable. I 'do' like some of the cheap models available but I am still just window shopping.

What you said about research is so vital and before you buy each thing confirm parts availability because sooner or later it either wears out or flies off into the abyss. If parts aren't available then as you know you're flying your hand again

Happy flying
jammer.cwh likes this.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

So Let me update you, Sorry Another long wined post here;

So got another v911, friggin awesome aircraft..., for something you can fly Indoor's, And Outdoor's, So, a little hard on it the second Time Around!!!...
As As expected, got my A___ handed to me!!!!! The park where I fly is made up of block long sidewalks, in an x pattern.....So I was fifty to sixty feet off, the hard deck, and killed the throttle!!!....and was about 20 meter's out at about a 45% angel from where My base was......I.E. Looking East from the south Sidewalk....50%.......(which is the limit for my unassisted (Old Man EYES), So It ,..Hit the HARD DECK Concrete side walk, From 50, to 60 feet up, ( the v911 bounced like three feet in the air and, needless to say the gyro was never the same......got more on the way....LMAO....
The Master Cp, is coming along but I need More fixed pitch, Heaver Mass Flying Experience, before tackling CP In MASS........v915, and v912, v913, on the way!!!...Also The v966 motor looks the same for the xk100....

I Want to make thing's better for Everyone , Not Just You!!

Last edited by jammer.cwh; 09-22-2017 at 09:06 PM..
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

I'm Not going to tell you what I was thinking,...... But......., I was hoping it would land in the Grass....
Simm's coming end of 2017.....My 2018, New year's Resolution is to have the 450 in the AIR!!!....Think Your Heli's Big Check this out....
GIANT MODEL HELICOPTER MAIDEN... 1,000 size!!! (5 min 38 sec) MODEL HELICOPTER 1,000 size TEST 2 (11 min 3 sec)
Or this one...,Crop Duster!??...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5Q3H23G58
HeliSmith likes this.

Last edited by jammer.cwh; 09-22-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Greetings from a little south of you in Portland
RNDMAXE is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in