Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Gas Powered Thoughts

Gas Powered Thoughts Advice for Gas Helicopter Success from Carey Shurley

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Been a while since I had an update on this, moving closer to a flying prototype

Toxic Al and Blackout_Mods like this.

carey shurley is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

It looks very nice! I had a TSA bird, a 600E it was a very nice flying machine. I would imagine this will be a good flying bird as well.
Is this the engine from the Protos?

Kandace
Old 07-16-2018, 02:39 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great news. Any update on the compact EI engine? I'm very keen on this engine.
brw0513 is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 03:42 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Do the swash links actually teepee inward or is that just an optical illusion in the pictures?
Atomic Skull is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

One suggestion, I have the electric version and the tiny m2 button head screws that are used to secure the ball in the swashplate and secure the upper mainshaft bearing in it's housing are a pain to deal with. I would highly recommend a Wera hex Plus 1.3mm screwdriver for these (honestly I'd recommend Wera drivers everywhere they are awesome) but especially for these tiny sockets the hex plus design really helps to prevent the socket from stripping out.

Also do not over tighten the screws that hold in the plastic swash ball retainer or it will warp and interfere with free movement of the ball.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

some changes are being made to the engine and the ignition system so still in progress

the swash followers do tip in slightly. I don't know if TSA has longer threaded balls that would address that, these are just what came with the model

Old 07-16-2018, 08:23 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey shurley View Post
some changes are being made to the engine and the ignition system so still in progress

the swash followers do tip in slightly. I don't know if TSA has longer threaded balls that would address that, these are just what came with the model

I was referring to the swashplate to servo links not the follower arms. They seem to tepee inwards from the arm to the swashplate.

I'm a little disappointed that they removed the servo stabilizers. It's not a deal breaker but I really like that feature on the TSA helis. Pretty much just needs to just have screw holes for them and they could be optional.

It looks like they are using the plastic center block (I can see the plastic post filling the center hole for the block rather than the screw that the aluminum one has) If you use the aluminum one you can put a Synergy 3x5x2 spacer in there (just press it in using the screw) and it'll fill the space between the screw and the hole.

Are there any plans to offer a version with all of the plastic parts
(plastic bearing blocks, tail assembly, blade grips)?

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-16-2018 at 10:27 PM..
Old 07-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Are there any plans to offer a version with all of the plastic parts
(plastic bearing blocks, tail assembly, blade grips)?
no this is based on a pre-packaged model kit. Its augmented with the DSC frameset and drivetrain related components

Old 07-18-2018, 03:52 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
no this is based on a pre-packaged model kit. Its augmented with the DSC frameset and drivetrain related components

But there would be no problems with using the Pro kit (which has plastic bearing blocks, tail assembly and main grips replacing the aluminum ones) instead of the Platinum kit correct?

Also did the kit come with the plastic center bearing block? The Platinum kits used to come with all aluminum main bearing blocks, or at least the electric kit did. Could be the nitro Platinum kit uses the plastic center block instead.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
But there would be no problems with using the Pro kit (which has plastic bearing blocks, tail assembly and main grips replacing the aluminum ones) instead of the Platinum kit correct?
Oh I think it would work. I'm not sure what the gearing is in those kits so you may need another pinion gear

Old 07-19-2018, 02:28 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Oh I think it would work. I'm not sure what the gearing is in those kits so you may need another pinion gear

Basically the Pro kits are a less expensive budget version that replaces the CF and aluminum with fiberglass and plastic (except for the rotor hub and swashplate) and uses a less expensive auto rotation hub with a roller clutch and bushings instead of a sprag clutch and radial bearings. In addition the tail pitch links use brass bushings instead of bearings (the entire tail is plastic) Other than that they are the same helicopter with the same gearing, just lower priced.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:54 PM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

I am so glad to see this project moving forward... I have a TSA 700e I fly all the time and really like.

Looks like the TSA conversion uses the nitro clutch from the TSA donor kit.
Think that will be as robust as the Zenoah clutch and steel bell used on other JC designs (766 & Agile 7.2)?

Think a TSA 700 electric can be used as the donor? ...or would it require too many additional part purchases (like the clutch, bell & bearing block) to make it practical?

Chris
ChrisW is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

uses a std Zenoah RC clutch in a custom bell as well as a custom made fan/shroud

I'm sure the rotor/tail rotor systems are probably the same, the difference would be in the various bits in this donor kit
ChrisW likes this.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 AM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
uses a std Zenoah RC clutch in a custom bell as well as a custom made fan/shroud

I'm sure the rotor/tail rotor systems are probably the same, the difference would be in the various bits in this donor kit
Main differences are the frame sides and the various bits to mount the motor/batteries. Also the nitro uses a 120T gear and the electric uses a 126T gear (auto rotation gears are 113T on both versions). Also I think the mainshaft on the nitro model is a little longer but I'm not sure. TSA didn't redesign anything that didn't actually need to be changed between the models e.g. same boom mount, bearing blocks, cross members etc.

If anyone is interested in the differences I would suggest downloading the manuals for both models and having a look, it's surprising how much is the same between them.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-21-2018 at 02:10 AM..
Old 07-21-2018, 02:23 AM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Price comparison:

TSA 700N Pro: $450

TSA 700N Platinum: $660

I've seen them on sale for around $100 less than that so the donor kit on this could make it the most affordable gasser ever if the engine doesn't end up being ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by Atomic Skull; 07-21-2018 at 06:19 AM..
Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

My HF Map location

Quote:
Here's a sneak peek at a new JC Designs project for 2018.

Based on an arrangement between TSA, JC Designs and Gas Powered Helicopters, the TSA/JCD G700 would be offered as a complete gas helicopter kit

Using the TSA 700 platform, JC Designs adds proven components that result in a strong yet lightweight gas powered helicopter

The model uses the new compact EI engine first seen in the Protos gas conversion which includes a robust cooling system and a bulletproof clutch both of which are critical to the performance of any gas helicopter.

Follow this thread for updates. Your feedback and suggestions are welcome

Is that a zenoah motor? What model?

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk
Azalin is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hello Azalin

yes and no, its a custom designed engine which first appeared in the Protos conversion. Its a combination of custom made cases + zenoah internals. Reliability of zenoahs in a very compact format

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.