Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Stock ESC + Blheli: A Necessary MOD

Aside from occasional Tips and Tricks, I've been flying them stock until a month ago where I decided to mix things up in preparation for winter.

This might be old news (specially if you are coming from RCG), but flashing the stock ESC with Blheli should be marked as a necessary mod. Same exact performance from spool up to landing ever since. I can't believe I waited this long before doing the mod in terms of effort-vs-effectiveness. Easy as pie.

Here's the pin-out for the stock esc (a modified Plush 10a esc): Click image for larger version

Name:	Turnigy Plush 10A front.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	727958

Tools needed:
1. Blheli usb programmer
2. Blheli suite: link

Finished product (sorry not mine but will post one once I do my third one; mines are cleaner): Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8728.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	727959

My settings: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-11-05 01.08.10.png
Views:	708
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	727960
Notes:
1) Above set-up using stock esc and stock motor. Use the Plush 10a main firmware.
2) Ignore the Motor/Gear setup as I found no difference in performance between options.
3) Governor Target RPM: you might have to play with this depending on what specific Transmitter you use. I use Taranis X9D with iRangeX IRX4 module. PM me for eepe if interested.
4) Headspeed: never bothered tach-ing mainly because I tune these micro helis by "feel" unlike on the bigger ones. Performance repeatability based off numbers is a bit hard to attain.

Final thoughts:
Asked a couple of dudes when I first read about it over at RCG, feedback was muddy mainly because they have not actually done it themselves. Should have done it myself right away.

Initially planned doing a motor upgrade but will hold off for now since performance upgrade was pretty significant just by doing the Blheli mod . Might start breaking the heli during crashes using a higher kv motor.

I've been flying two K110 with upgraded esc's for about three weeks now. Perhaps 100+ flights already. So: highly recommended mod/upgrade.
Lotus 7 and Multisaft like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2017, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Default Freshly Baked

Here's a quick write-up on how to prep and flash an XK K110 stock esc with Blheli.

As I've said above I wasn't the originator of this idea. Micro enthusiasts specially those from RCG have been doing it on this particular heli for quite sometime. Heck, some of them even used an unmodified/original Plush 10a or XP12a esc and turned the K110 into 2S power. But that is beyond the scope of this thread.

It's been awhile since I first read about it but noticed that not too many folks have been doing this mod. I wondered why and asked around. As mentioned, I received conflicting info ranging from the stock esc cannot really be flashed with Blheli up to even after flashing it has no governor function. I realized that some of them at least didn't really do it upon further inquiry. Sad. Anyway, that is under the bridge- or something- already.

This was my third K110 esc mod'ed and flashed with Blheli. At this point I'm pretty proficient doing it specially since I come from the micro heli craze of "double-brushing stuff" of yester-years. One doesn't need a pro's soldering station when doing this (though I have one). Using a low wattage soldering iron with needle-type tip will suffice. This third one was done using a plain 'ol soldering iron as described. Here it goes.

PART 1: CONNECTOR
1a) Click image for larger version

Name:	wire1.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	728041

I had to make and solder in a new female 1.5 micro jst connector because I ran out of factory soldered ones. Factory made ones are of course for cleaner install. Take note of the pin-out color coding. This will have some significance later. This insures that the Tx and Rx are crossed for proper communication.

1b) Click image for larger version

Name:	wire2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	728042

The Female 1.5 micro jst connector: all wrapped up, trimmed and pre-soldered. The shrink wrap I used here has some heat activated glue inside it. It insulates the individual wires and provides some mechanical strength on that whole thing. Some of the glue is actually peeking out a bit towards the red wire.

PART 2: STOCK ESC

2a) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc0.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	728043

Here's a fresh, sealed, unmolested stock K110 ESC. Compare it to the original Plush 10a picture at the very top. Exactly the same except for some chips and passive components. Making this K110-esc 1S only. Others, have used the Plush 10a or XP12a esc's both for 1s and 2s power. As for me, I'm sticking with 1S.

2b) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc2.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	728044

Using an Exacto knife: area of interest exposed/ opened up for soldering. The plastic was just flapped over to clear the area and will re-glue it again later after soldering. Other's have used this clear plastic shrink wrap
or something similar for a cleaner install after soldering. Others even just left the whole thing "naked" and all of its components "hanging in the breeze". Up to you.

2c) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc3.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	728045

Stock esc exposed and pre-soldered. Refer again to the Plush 10a pictue up above. We just need those three soldering points (black, red and white).
Note, there is a minor mistake on this picture, the pre-solder on the left most lead (for black wire) clearly extended into the second. I only noticed it after taking the picture. Fixing it was easy. Of course forgot to do a retake.

2d) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc4.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	728046

Female micro jst soldered in with the ESC. Take note of the color coding.

2e) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc5.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	728047

Testing 1-2-3. It's alive! (see the solid red and green led on the usb programmer) Will post a video of the screen later for all to see what's happening.

Powering-up Sequence
a. Run Blheli Suite under Admin Privileges.
b. Connect usb programmer to the PC.
c. Connect Programmer to ESC.
d. Connect Lipo to ESC.
e. Click "connect" tab on Bleheli Suite.
** optional: you may or may not connect the motor to esc. Connecting it will allow you to hear the different tones when flashing and programming. LED lights will also blink fast when reading or sending commands to the esc.

Powering Down Sequence
a. Click "disconnect" tab on Bleheli Suite
b. Reverse of above: "d" to "a"
** Powering up and down sequence is a bit important with Blheli. Otherwise, it may not read or write on the esc properly.

PART 3: USB PROGRAMMER

3a) Click image for larger version

Name:	usb1.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	728048

This is the usb programmer that I used. Bought years ago (from Dylan here in HF) when Blheli first came out. This should work: Blheli Toolstick
Ever since Silabs and Atmel Labs combined to create the Blheli Suite (Silabs being the original), toolsticks just exploded in number and kind. Not all -as far as I know- will flash our esc but most will do. The one I linked definitely works (bought one as order filler but lost somewhere in the parts bin).

4b) Click image for larger version

Name:	usb2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	728049

This one showing the USB programming wires as uncrossed. Others do it on this side (ie crossing the red and white/yellow position for TX/ RX crosstalk). I did it at the ESC side instead since I also use the USB programmer on other stuff too.

Part 4: Wrap and Final Testing.

4a) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc6.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	728050

I used this for securing the wires on the board but due to its flexibility will also provide stress relief. Easily removed if in case one needs to. Very clear when dry for easy inspection. Others use candle wax for holding in the wires into the board. Effective but messy when re-soldering.

4b) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc7.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	728051

Wires glued in.

4c) Click image for larger version

Name:	esc8.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	728052

Again, sealing and securing with shrink wrap that has a heat activated glue inside the tube.

5d) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5149.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	728053
Final Testing

Bonus 1& 2:
Click image for larger version

Name:	esc9.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	728061

Click image for larger version

Name:	esc10.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	728062
Pics of one of the other two K110 with the flashed ESC installed and ready to go. Don't mind the green stuff on the mains. That's just proof to the wife that I mowed the lawn.

Will upload a video later for the flashing and initial programming.

Cheers
mearlin and Lotus 7 like this.

Last edited by e92.M3; 11-05-2017 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: New Info
e92.M3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

So the stock BlHeli Plush10 main firmware (14.x) works without modification on the XK K110 stock ESC?

Very good news - will be upgrading mine soon.

Thank you!
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2017, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge-runner View Post
So the stock BlHeli Plush10 main firmware (14.x) works without modification on the XK K110 stock ESC?

Very good news - will be upgrading mine soon.

Thank you!
Aside from soldering in the program leads and flashing the firmware: yes. And also tuning in the esc between helis may differ coz i found the two K110s i flashed so far differs a bit; mainly in the Start Up Power. Probably because my other motor was quite old.

The stock esc is a modified Plush 10a with some chips and passive components removed making it 1s only. Aside from that all the features we get from Blheli are retained specially Governor. When i first asked around i was told differently. Realized they have not done it themselves.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

If you can explain where to where to solder and it seems that you took some chips off? Or whatever the name of those components are.
Better pics would help without the hot glue

Have you tried the 9t pinion?
salrica is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrica View Post
If you can explain where to where to solder and it seems that you took some chips off? Or whatever the name of those components are.
Better pics would help without the hot glue

Have you tried the 9t pinion?
Nope.No chips or other components taken off. Just soldered in the wires based off the first picture and flashed away.

As i mentioned above the final product pic as posted above wasn't mine. I didn't take pictures as i never expected positively good findings. Will post better ones once i do my third (and fourth; a fellow just asked me to do it for him).

9t: yes. Way back before having flashed Blheli. Too much bogging for my liking. I surmise it's the stock motor's lacking. Will not revisit until i intend to put in a stronger motor. At stock set-up this heli was excellent enough. The problem was not about headspeed. We can always bump it up as much as the motor will allow. It's just that it's missing the holy grail of headspeed control: Governor.

Adding in Blheli and its governor feature just made this heli a perfect micro flier for me. Same exact performance from spool up to landing. Moves now are highly repeatable unlike before we have had to adjust as the lipo voltage goes down. I wished this heli had been with us years ago. It could have saved us hundreds of dollars and countless of hours trying to fix other micros.
MBHC likes this.

Last edited by e92.M3; 11-05-2017 at 11:15 AM..
Old 11-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

It seems to me that working with this blheli ESC is pretty obvious for you, not for me, and trying to understand what you did there.

First pic I see 3 solder points, red, white and black and where do you solder those ends? To the USB male or female connector?
Then, on that same pic, I see a white arrow pointing to a solder joint, and where do you solder that end?
And on second pic, where you have the hot glue on, in the top mid, I see a black chip on the first pic, but it's missing on the second pic, I just see some solder joints, I thought that you took that off, that's why I asked.

If you dont mind to post what USB programmer you used as it seems that there are several and the male connector for that USB.

Do you have the big hole motor or the small holes on it? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7233

Good finding
Old 11-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrica View Post
It seems to me that working with this blheli ESC is pretty obvious for you, not for me, and trying to understand what you did there.

First pic I see 3 solder points, red, white and black and where do you solder those ends? To the USB male or female connector?
Then, on that same pic, I see a white arrow pointing to a solder joint, and where do you solder that end?
And on second pic, where you have the hot glue on, in the top mid, I see a black chip on the first pic, but it's missing on the second pic, I just see some solder joints, I thought that you took that off, that's why I asked.

If you dont mind to post what USB programmer you used as it seems that there are several and the male connector for that USB.

Do you have the big hole motor or the small holes on it? https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7233

Good finding
You know what pls give me a couple of hours as i'm out of the house now; out in some park flying with my son.

Once i get home i'll do a third and take some pictures. Or atleast open up one of the escs i previously made.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
You know what pls give me a couple of hours as i'm out of the house now; out in some park flying with my son.

Once i get home i'll do a third and take some pictures. Or atleast open up one of the escs i previously made.

Nothing like a family time, specially this days.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Users

Post updated above: How To.

Last edited by e92.M3; 11-05-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Old 11-07-2017, 06:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Registered Users

Will this work with the radio that comes with it? What would be the settings for that? In the radio and in the software? This looks like a good winter project.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
3dplank is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dplank View Post
Will this work with the radio that comes with it? What would be the settings for that? In the radio and in the software? This looks like a good winter project.

Yup. Tried it on my old X6. Had to bring it out. No other changes made aside from the throttle. Rpm's high than normal. But i prefer doing changes on the Blheli's Target RPM.

Thing is it's not even a winter project. It's a 30-45 min tops project. Of course i did this for my winter indoor flying. Have also been flying in my backyard while im inside a heated florida room.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice so run a flat curve and adjust rpm in the software?

Old 11-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Nice so run a flat curve and adjust rpm in the software?

Yup... but pls don't ask me my rpm's... I don't bother with those on these small helis.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered Users

Ok, one more queation. Set it up with the values in the screen shot, and it should be good to go?

Old 11-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Ok, one more queation. Set it up with the values in the screen shot, and it should be good to go?

No. That is the screenshot setting of the oldest K110 among the three in rotation. All three differ a bit due to motor age, specific heli mechanics, and variance between escs.

You can use it tho as a basis.

Here's the entries i had to change:
1) Low Voltage Limiter: default was 3.2v (bumped it up to 3.4v)
2) Governor: default was "Off" (use TX to allow setting by flat curves)
3) Target RPM: forgot the default; adjust based off the radio. Many ways to do this based on personal preference. For me i find the number where at middle throttle ( using normal linear curve) stick the headspeed is just fast enough for the heli to take off.
4) Start Up Power: Default is "1". Bump it up a click or two if the blade won't start up at default. Keep clicking up until the motor starts reliably. The one on the pic is 1.5 which is maximum due to an old motor.
5) Spool up Time: Default is 7. Adjust it based on personal preference.
6) Motor Timing: Medium is default. The lower the setting, the softer the motor will run, lower power too. The higher the setting gives the motor more power but also hotter esc. "Medium" is a good start off point.
7) Start up Volume and Beacon Volume: i maxed them to 255.
8) Beacon Delay: i lowered it to 2 minutes

The rest i left on default even on the Motor/ Gear Setup

The granulity of things we can adjust makes this mod a very worthwhile effort. And of course, the proof is in the pudding: heli runs smoother and of course Governor feature. Flight consistency from start to finish is the icing in the cake. I'm just pissed off of myself i waited this long before doing it myself.

Last edited by e92.M3; 11-07-2017 at 06:32 PM..
Old 11-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thank you for your time. I ordered the usb now I wait for the slowboat.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thank you for your time. I ordered the usb now I wait for the slowboat.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered Users

Awesome, thanks for posting this!
LiquidDrift is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default Confirmed - BLHeli runs on the stock K110 ESC

I updated the stock ESC on one of my K110 to BlHeli 14.9 MAIN firmware and have logged about 50 packs so far.

The governing function is working beautifully (although it is hesitant to start up initially - need to fiddle with the settings). Running low headspeed is giving me 7 minutes hovertime with the HobbyKing Graphene 600mAhr batteries (ending @3.78V).

Thank you e92.M3 for paving this new ground! I tip my hat to you, sir.
e92.M3 likes this.
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in