Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #41 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dplank View Post
Got my usb connector today wont get to work on it till the weekend though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Do it! Do it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2017, 05:53 AM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Users

Can you post a screen shot of your settings when you get a chance. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
3dplank is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here you go. Sorry for the delay.
For background:All of them upgraded with SUT tail motor.

1) First pic: oldest K110 that I have. Hundreds and hundreds of flight but still on the on stock main motor. Only upgrade that I did is put the metal swash that I got from a different K110 and Hobbyking servos (the old ones got stripped). As you can see, I maxed out the start up power possibly due to an old motor. Also the target governor is on the high side.

2) About 6 months old but also hundreds of flights. Upgraded to metal grip (I stripped the plastic grip hole). The rest all stock.

3) Age unknown. Bought here used. All stock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-11-28 08.39.30a.png
Views:	826
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	729965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-11-28 08.40.51.png
Views:	809
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	729966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-11-28 08.41.55.png
Views:	810
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	729967  
Old 11-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered Users

Sweet thank you!!!!
Old 12-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Registered Users

So I updated the ESCs on both my K123 and K124 to BlHeli and it has transformed them into tame precise creatures (they can now be flown at steady predictable low RPMs - although the ESC heats up).

Flying the K110 for 5 minutes and the K123/124 for 4 minutes and the batteries are coming down @ 3.8V.

Flashing the BlHeli governor firmware dramatically improves the perfomance of these XK micros!

Very Happy!

Thanks again e92.M3
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #46 (permalink)
Registered Users

Don't mention it, sir!

I'm just really happy to contribute positively to our community.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
Registered Users

Nice, eh!

I personally don't worry about the esc getting warm for low headspeed or when stick bangging at max headspeed. My third K110 (which is my son's) has been flown like hundreds of times at low speed. These esc's are tough (and cheap). So no worries.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #48 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Nice, eh!

I personally don't worry about the esc getting warm for low headspeed or when stick bangging at max headspeed. My third K110 (which is my son's) has been flown like hundreds of times at low speed. These esc's are tough (and cheap). So no worries.
Thats my thinking as well. But I do let the 123/124 helis cool down between packs (and just fly one of the others). I fly four in continuous rotation: K110>K123>K124>180CFX>K110>K123>... and so on.)

(p.s. I don't stick bang yet - just happily hovering upright indoors for me so far )
ridge-runner is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2017, 02:59 PM   #49 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge-runner View Post
Thats my thinking as well. But I do let the 123/124 helis cool down between packs (and just fly one of the others). I fly four in continuous rotation: K110>K123>K124>180CFX>K110>K123>... and so on.)

(p.s. I don't stick bang yet - just happily hovering upright indoors for me so far )
If you keep doing that sequence, you will soon be doing stick bangging, i guarantee you that. Stick time is what really widens and deepens ones flight envelope. Instead of some of the stuff we see here in the forums.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered Users

Great write up!!! Very interested in this mod, I would much prefer 3 minutes of consistent high headspeed than 5-6 minutes of ever decreasing performance.

Just received the USB Programmer. Have one question regarding wiring. I think I understand it correctly that the red & yellow need to be swapped but I would just like to make sure.

On the esc the wires are placed Black Red yellow (left to right) - if there were no connectors in between and the wires were soldered directly from the USB Programmer, would the wires be placed black yellow red on the ESC?

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lotus 7,

To answer your question slightly differently .... I simply connected Red to Red, Brown to Brown and yellow to yellow.

The order of the pins in the connector changed (as the order of the pins differs on the USB programmer from the ESC) - but I just connected the colours to each other)

USB programmer end - yellow in middle

ESC end - red in middle

Complete cable

As well as the XK K110 ESC I've also used this cable successfully on 4 or 5 others ESCs

Cheers,
Mike.

P.S. - I used to have a Caterham 7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable 3.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	733546   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable 2.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	733547   Click image for larger version

Name:	cable 4.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	733548  
Mikej is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #52 (permalink)
Registered Users

Cheers Mike, got it now I was a little confused with all the colour swapping hehe got my wires crossed, litterally

Much love for the Caterham and Westfields, they keep the spirit of Chapmans original design alive
Old 01-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #53 (permalink)
Registered Users

Done all the wiring, ready to go, fire up blheli, plug in usb stick and windows says there is a malfunction or something with the new device, can't remember exactly cos the message doesn't come up at all now when I plug it in. Blheli doesn't see it, selected silabs C2 toolstick, ran as admin etc etc followed the ops procedure to the T. Tried different usb. I can't see it in device manager.

The red light comes on on the stick but that's it. Dud?......

Using XP sp3 - blheli 16

Am I missing something here? Does the USB stick need a driver?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #54 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Done all the wiring, ready to go, fire up blheli, plug in usb stick and windows says there is a malfunction or something with the new device, can't remember exactly cos the message doesn't come up at all now when I plug it in. Blheli doesn't see it, selected silabs C2 toolstick, ran as admin etc etc followed the ops procedure to the T. Tried different usb. I can't see it in device manager.

The red light comes on on the stick but that's it. Dud?......

Using XP sp3 - blheli 16

Am I missing something here? Does the USB stick need a driver?
Hi

Try this:
1) With the programmer stick removed, check Device Manager. Take note of what’s on the usb entries

2) Insert Stick, do the same on the Device Manager. It should show the stick with all drivers inserted.

3) If above are ok, try switching again the rx and tx wires.

4) Try the program again.

* If you see anything off on 1) and 2), fix that first.
** When i encountered that error it’s mostly due to the rx and tx improperly switched.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #55 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks for the prompt reply M3 but it does not show up in device manager.........

EDIT: WOAAH boy do I feel dumb......... with that usb stick being so delicate I was only pushing it into the USB socket with gentle fingers, gave it a good shove in anger..... and voila. Stick is recognised and i have a connection to the esc. Now to get down to business. Seriously though I've been faffing around for over two hours with this, lesson learned but I'm still laughing at myself.

Last edited by Lotus 7; 01-05-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Lotus 7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 PM   #56 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks for the prompt reply M3 but it does not show up in device manager.........

EDIT: WOAAH boy do I feel dumb......... with that usb stick being so delicate I was only pushing it into the USB socket with gentle fingers, gave it a good shove in anger..... and voila. Stick is recognised and i have a connection to the esc. Now to get down to business. Seriously though I've been faffing around for over two hours with this, lesson learned but I'm still laughing at myself.
Been there. Done that, brother....

Old 01-05-2018, 10:56 PM   #57 (permalink)
Registered Users

Lol makes me feel a little better........ Hey all that shenanigans was worth it though. Just flashed an old V977 and WOW!!! seriously impressed. Started of with moderate settings and was immediatly happy with the govenor and soft start. However after a couple revisions to find a nice sweet spot with increased headspeed without causing to much heat, I've got it flying like a completely different model.

As I was watching it bob up and down like a nats backside on fire it immediately reminded me of the Trex 150, obviously not as much torque but the initial collective response is just damned impressive and the esc was only getting warm, never hot. The motor remained surprisingly cool.

So yes, very impressed. I know you don't take credit for this mod M3 but still, I thank you for bringing it to our attention. I dont hang round the RCG yard, so I would never have come across this. Cheers
Old 01-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #58 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Lol makes me feel a little better........ Hey all that shenanigans was worth it though. Just flashed an old V977 and WOW!!! seriously impressed. Started of with moderate settings and was immediatly happy with the govenor and soft start. However after a couple revisions to find a nice sweet spot with increased headspeed without causing to much heat, I've got it flying like a completely different model.

As I was watching it bob up and down like a nats backside on fire it immediately reminded me of the Trex 150, obviously not as much torque but the initial collective response is just damned impressive and the esc was only getting warm, never hot. The motor remained surprisingly cool.

So yes, very impressed. I know you don't take credit for this mod M3 but still, I thank you for bringing it to our attention. I dont hang round the RCG yard, so I would never have come across this. Cheers

No problem, man. Just trying to contribute to the community.

Once you bump up the hs up to the motor's limit you will find the tail to easily blow out on certain collective moves, then perhaps you can try the SUT tail motor and better blades as was mentioned here: SUT and Blade
Old 01-05-2018, 11:36 PM   #59 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Cheers Mike, got it now I was a little confused with all the colour swapping hehe got my wires crossed, litterally

Much love for the Caterham and Westfields, they keep the spirit of Chapmans original design alive
My Dad had a 1969 MG MGB. Really nice car with lots of character. The only problem was the car kept of giving him headaches that he had to bring with him sets of tools that can equip a small repair shop every time he went for a long trip.

It's just sad that he sold it before I was old enough to drive. Now, i'm more German and some Japanese when doing track races.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 AM   #60 (permalink)
Registered Users

Hehe my dad had the same car back in the late 70's, I remember the MG well. Tools certainly required but at least no damn sensors lighting the dash up like a Christmas tree Recently sold my aging e46 and I'm driving an e90 at the minute.

Cheers for the heads up on the SUT motor, I do have one waiting to be used and various blades. I'll be using the motor on a k110 though. This first mod was using my oldest model as a test run, just in case I fried something. Now im happy with the procedure I will start with the k110.

Last edited by Lotus 7; 01-06-2018 at 08:00 AM..
Lotus 7 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in