Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Helicopter Support > Other Makes and Models Helicopters > V977/K110/K120

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #61 (permalink)
Registered Users

Have any of you managed to tach the K110 since doing the mod? Governor is working very well, could just do with a little more HS. I tached it at about 5,500.

Had a couple of MGB's - as did my brother and now my nephew has as well, some people never learn
Mikej is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #62 (permalink)
Registered Users
Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
Hehe my dad had the same car back in the late 70's, I remember the MG well. Tools certainly required but at least no damn sensors lighting the dash up like a Christmas tree Recently sold my aging e46 and I'm driving an e90 at the minute.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #63 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Have any of you managed to tach the K110 since doing the mod? Governor is working very well, could just do with a little more HS. I tached it at about 5,500.

Had a couple of MGB's - as did my brother and now my nephew has as well, some people never learn

For me, no. I adjust hs based off feel for micro fliers like these since the early days of micros/nanos like the mcpx.

Once i tried using helitach app but it doesn’t go that high so my results were way off. Using Audacity on the other hand is a chore to do. I have one of those old optical tachs but can’t find it. What did you use to tach it?

Ah, those MGB’s. I remember those days when going for a show/ swap meet with my dad, we had to stop twice for repairs. Once on the way to, another on the way back. I hated it coz it’s usually at the height of summer. But i love the car.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #64 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Once i tried using helitach app but it doesn’t go that high so my results were way off. Using Audacity on the other hand is a chore to do. I have one of those old optical tachs but can’t find it. What did you use to tach it?
I used HeliTach - there is a setting for micro helis that works up to 8,000rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92.M3 View Post
Ah, those MGB’s. I remember those days when going for a show/ swap meet with my dad, we had to stop twice for repairs. Once on the way to, another on the way back. I hated it coz it’s usually at the height of summer. But i love the car.
The most embarrassing that we ever had was my little brother's Frogeye Sprite developed an electrical problem one time that meant that the horn would go off randomly, very embarrassing following him through towns...
Old 01-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #65 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
The most embarrassing that we ever had was my little brother's Frogeye Sprite developed an electrical problem one time that meant that the horn would go off randomly, very embarrassing following him through towns...
LMAO, I just knew the little frogeye was going to pop up. I thought, we've gone from Caterham to MGB's......... next we'll be talking about frogeyed sprites and right on cue, Mike delivers the goods

With regards headspeed Mike, have you checked all the mechanical stuff. I have found with the 977/110 that small mechanical issues can sometimes have a dramatic impact on performance and headspeed. Slightly bent feathering shaft is the main offender and I once had a set of blades that were out of balance by under a 10th of a gram - it flew like the battery or motor was failing with low HS and terrible bogging. Replaced the blades and the difference in performance was an eye opening experience.
e92.M3 likes this.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
With regards headspeed Mike, have you checked all the mechanical stuff. I have found with the 977/110 that small mechanical issues can sometimes have a dramatic impact on performance and headspeed. Slightly bent feathering shaft is the main offender and I once had a set of blades that were out of balance by under a 10th of a gram - it flew like the battery or motor was failing with low HS and terrible bogging. Replaced the blades and the difference in performance was an eye opening experience.
That's very interesting - I'm learning about these tiddlers all the time - I usually fly slightly larger helis, obviously set-up is important with them, but it seems to have much more effect with these little guys
Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #67 (permalink)
Registered Users

Another question I'm afraid - I'm not sure if I have my throttle calibrated properly. Currently I have 2 Idle-ups set up on the flight mode. One is for 80% the other for 90% - both flat lines. However I don't get any change of HS between the two settings - any ideas what I have done wrong????

I would also like to increase the overall HS - any way of "tricking " the BLHeli software into giving me a higher HS - it is almost as if it is leaving a lot of overhead in the HS that it is governing to...

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 PM   #68 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Another question I'm afraid - I'm not sure if I have my throttle calibrated properly. Currently I have 2 Idle-ups set up on the flight mode. One is for 80% the other for 90% - both flat lines. However I don't get any change of HS between the two settings - any ideas what I have done wrong????

I would also like to increase the overall HS - any way of "tricking " the BLHeli software into giving me a higher HS - it is almost as if it is leaving a lot of overhead in the HS that it is governing to...

Cheers,
Mike.
Hi Mike

You said you tached this model at 5.5k? That is pretty high actually. During the early mcpx days, we were taching it at around mid 3K and up to 4.5k with the Spin motors. And that was crazy headspeed that sometimes break the mcpxs on just a bad landing.

Anyway, perhaps it could be the motor's max spin already. Then you can try the 9T pinion. I was looking for the link but can't find it. I have pair that I have not installed as I don't think they were the answer as i feel the motor is already maxed out. Another option is for you to try the V931 blades. In my opinion they have better lift.

Someday soon i'll be trying these bad boys on one of my older K110. I have seen them being described by others on their K110 but i have not actually seen one installed. Will make a feedback.

The Spin motor

Mcpx Motor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6086.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	734887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6087.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	734888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6086_b.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	734889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6087_b.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	734890  
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #69 (permalink)
Registered Users

Mike

If you can post/send atleast an audio file of your K110 at max headspeed, I'll try taching it with audacity as I don't- personally- trust Helitach beyond 4k or with models with smaller blades like the K110. I go with audacity on situations like this.

Here it is if you want to doublecheck it yourself: taching with Audacity

Last edited by e92.M3; 01-16-2018 at 07:04 PM..
e92.M3 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2018, 12:02 AM   #70 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thanks e93.M3 (what's you real name?),

Fully agree with what you say about helitach - it wasn't reliably giving the same HS reading each time in mirco-heli mode like it does in the standard mode.

I've got some of the V931 blades on the slow boat, so will try those when they arrive. I'm also going to try BLHeli ungoverned and see if that sounds faster.

Thanks for the Audacity idea - I'll give that a try as well.

The question is driven by the fact the some ESCs (Castle Creations for example) have a very high "overhead" reserved to allow them to govern efficiently - i.e. they will only allow governing at about 80% of the full potential HS - it is possible to trick them into governing at a higher HS and still have enough in reserve - they are just too conservative. I was just wondering if there was a similar trick for the BLHeli s/w....

Cheers,
Mike.

I've just bought another
Old 01-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #71 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Thanks e93.M3 (what's you real name?),

Fully agree with what you say about helitach - it wasn't reliably giving the same HS reading each time in mirco-heli mode like it does in the standard mode.

I've got some of the V931 blades on the slow boat, so will try those when they arrive. I'm also going to try BLHeli ungoverned and see if that sounds faster.

Thanks for the Audacity idea - I'll give that a try as well.

The question is driven by the fact the some ESCs (Castle Creations for example) have a very high "overhead" reserved to allow them to govern efficiently - i.e. they will only allow governing at about 80% of the full potential HS - it is possible to trick them into governing at a higher HS and still have enough in reserve - they are just too conservative. I was just wondering if there was a similar trick for the BLHeli s/w....

Cheers,
Mike.

I've just bought another
Now we’re talking! I myself got three plus a NIB.

Yeah, kinda familiar about that 110% CC trick as most of my models have this brand. I’m just not sure if Blheli has it; it’s worth a try though. Have you considered the 9T pinion?

If you want you can post here a screen grab of your blheli settings. Let’s take a look if you can do more adjustments.

If i just can get to it i’ll tach mines and post it here for reference. And also once i try those motors above.

Keep us posted.

Neo
Old 01-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #72 (permalink)
Registered Users

My settings are the same as yours - from memory they are pretty standard.

I'm going to turn Gov off and see how much higher it is with a 100% "curve" - I've got Audacity loaded so we'll see what that says. If I'm only losing a coupla hundred rpm then much better to have the gov, if it's much more I'll rethink....
e92.M3 likes this.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #73 (permalink)
Registered Users

Neo,

So my second XK K110 arrived yesterday (long story, didn't intend to order 2 ).

So before I changed anything, with it completely stock I tried Audacity - couldn't really get a reading - I'm sure I was doing something wrong. So I dug out my old mobile with Headspeed Tachometer on it, set it to Micro heli mode - and tached my "old" XK K110 with the BLHeli firmware - max RPM 5,680. Then tached my new (factory fresh, completely stock) XK K110 at 5,580 maximum.

I'm guessing that the new one probably needs to have the ESC calibrated, but I'm completely happy if I'm getting higher HS Governed with BLHeli than I was getting ungoverned with the standard ESC.

Cheers,
Mike.
e92.M3 likes this.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #74 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Neo,

So my second XK K110 arrived yesterday (long story, didn't intend to order 2 ).

So before I changed anything, with it completely stock I tried Audacity - couldn't really get a reading - I'm sure I was doing something wrong. So I dug out my old mobile with Headspeed Tachometer on it, set it to Micro heli mode - and tached my "old" XK K110 with the BLHeli firmware - max RPM 5,680. Then tached my new (factory fresh, completely stock) XK K110 at 5,580 maximum.

I'm guessing that the new one probably needs to have the ESC calibrated, but I'm completely happy if I'm getting higher HS Governed with BLHeli than I was getting ungoverned with the standard ESC.

Cheers,
Mike.
Nice.

So the motor with either of them is maxed out. Perhaps it's time for a Spin motor?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #75 (permalink)
Registered Users

I just wanted to make sure that I was getting as much HS as possible, which it seems that I am, I'll leave the upgrades for later
Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #76 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure that I was getting as much HS as possible, which it seems that I am, I'll leave the upgrades for later
Yup. It’s just that the motor sounds way smoother with the Blheli mod that’s why it seems like some hs was lost post mod compared to stock.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #77 (permalink)
Registered Users

hey guys, just popped in to see if anybody posted a vid for the blheli flashing? I can solder fine but sometimes its easier for me to see how its done. the part I'm stuck on is I have the blheli suite and flash stick,but I'm unsure on how to download and then flash it to the esc. then if its done correctly, to change any settings I guess you just plug it all back in and move the sliders but does it keep those settings? or do you have to do something to save the settings.. I think a vid would help me..
thanks for any help, love my xk110

edit. I checked out a bunch on youtube, but its all multirotor.

Last edited by tonys-heli; 01-31-2018 at 09:39 PM..
tonys-heli is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #78 (permalink)
Registered Users

Here’s one:
How to flash any ESC with BL Heli (4 min 54 sec)

Use the ff:
1) Download the 16v (as opposed to 32v which didn’t work during the few minutes i tried it.

2) Pick the Silabs usb interface (instead of the Atmel)

3) Use the Plush 10a “Main”; not the “Tail”

4) Once flashed and use the sliders to changes settings, click “Write” button to save settings.
tonys-heli likes this.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:22 AM   #79 (permalink)
Registered Users

As Neo says it's fairly straight forward, but there are a couple of possible "gotchas" ...
  • You need to connect things in the right order - from memory conect ESC to cable, power up ESC, plug cable into PC
  • always hit "Connect" to connect to ESC - it doesn't do it automatically
  • Click "Read setup" to read current settings
  • Change setting, click "Write setup" to save them to the ESC
  • Go into ESC setup and save you rsettings onto your PC

As you can guess I've forgotten to click "Read setup " a few times and say there waiting for something to happen (it will show default settings)
e92.M3 and tonys-heli like this.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #80 (permalink)
Registered Users

ok, now its starting to make sense..what solder iron does every body use? my stuff is kinda big. and finding those little 1.5 female jst's is tough..
neo gave me a link but does anybody else have a supplier?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in