New to Spirit - Setup Question - HeliFreak
Fun, Learning, Friendship and Mutual Respect START  HERE

Unregistered
Go Back   HeliFreak > R/C Electronics Support > Spirit FBL system

Spirit FBL system Spirit FBL System Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered Users

Default New to Spirit - Setup Question

Just received my 2 new Spirits and I am going to start the process of switching my Mini Comet and putting the second one in a new G380.

My question is, aside from the normal control surface checks to make sure everything moves properly with the sticks & by FBL correction and verifying the mount of pitch, is there anything that HAS to be adjusted after using the "Model Preset" on step 2 / 10 of the wizard?

I feel like I read somewhere that the presets work pretty good for a maiden, and then some people like to tweak it a little more. I have read through the Wiki so if I need to walk through every step I can.
treys1 is offline        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience, Spirit is good to go after preset / intiial setup. (probably the best "default" settings of the units I've tried)

Do a bunch of runs on the bench, without blades, making sure everything moves correctly, check to see if any of the connections get hot etc, after which it is ready.
Dawiev is online now        Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2017, 01:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered Users

The first 'other' adjustments I'd recommend making:

Under advanced, set your 'rudder delay' value up based on the manual's recommendation for your servo type. If it's not low enough and your servo is super fast, the tail will feel sloppy.

Other than that most of the rest is just getting the model to fly the way you want it to feel; rudder dynamic for tail stop hardness, rotational rates, flight style, feed forward, etc. And of course governor gains if you're going to use the spirit governor.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Users

In my experience, cyclic and rudder rotation speed defaults are quite "conservative"...
Old 11-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Users

Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for the help!

New question:

Is the bank switching fast enough that if I setup the mixes to have 2 banks for normal flying and have the 3rd bank dedicated to rescue, when I flip the switch that initiates the bank switch to bank 3, will it rescue in a reasonable amount of time?

I am coming off of Brain2's where the 3 bank switching is separate from the rescue which is layered on top of whatever bank you were in (if you have enough channels). I'm basically trying to make it act the same way but with just 2 normal banks.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Users

To clarify:

DX8G2
Banks on Switch C (Aux2)
Rescue on Switch A (Aux3)

Switch C
Pos0 (Bank3) - Normal with Acro Rescue
Pos1 (Bank2) - Normal with Normal Rescue
Pos2 (Bank1) - Auto Level

Switch A
Pos0 - Rescue Function Off
Pos1 - Rescue Function On

The mixes that allow the Gyro to be set to positive values but inverted to the same value but negative (50% becomes -50%) are below. Activating it on Switch C Pos2 only leaving the other to use the Function Switch:

Ger > Gyro Mix Rate: -100% / 100% Offset: 0% Switch C Pos2
Ger > Gyro Mix Rate: -100% / 100% Offset: 0% Switch C Pos2

This mix changes from Bank 1 to Bank 2 and turns the Rescue Function on when the Rescue switch is flipped (Switch A Pos1). This only functions this way while in Bank1, the other 2 Banks just activate rescue and stay in whichever bank they are already in:

-A- > Aux2 Mix Rate: 100% / 0% Offset 0% Switch C Pos2

If the bank switch was in Bank1 when rescue was activated, when it is turned off you will go back into Bank1. Bank1 and Bank2 will have identical flight characteristics settings aside from Bank1 being auto-level and Bank2 having Rescue Normal.

Last edited by treys1; 11-11-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Users

Could not follow your programming on the last post, but the answer to the previous question is Yes, the bank switching is instantaneous.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco66 View Post
Could not follow your programming on the last post, but the answer to the previous question is Yes, the bank switching is instantaneous.
Great to know! I cleaned up my above post to see if it makes more sense. It essentially gives me 3 banks with slightly different features / flying characteristics, but still allows rescue in all 3. (Rescue when in an Auto-Level Bank was the part I couldn't find easily in the software.)

I have verified on the monitor that the mixes are doing what I want with the AUX channels and I will be setting up the first one today.

Should anyone want a similar setup, I can share actual TX screens if that would make more sense.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered Users

OK. So I thought you could have 1 bank use the negative gain values for the Stabi Function and the other 2 banks use the Function switch on channel 8. Turns out if you enable the Function switch, all three banks use it (channel options only available in Bank 0 and grayed out in bank 1 & 2).

That changed my mixes.

My banks are on Switch C and my Stabi Function is on Switch A.

Switch C:
Pos0 - Bank2 (Rescue Acro Stabi Function)
Pos1 - Bank1 (Rescue Normal Stabi Function)
Pos2 - Bank0 (Stabilization Normal Stabi Function)

Switch A:
Pos0 - Function Off
Pos1 - Function On

I wanted Bank0 to have Stabilization Normal turned on when Switch A was on Pos0 as that is my "Rescue" switch. When I flip Switch A to Pos1 for "Rescue" it changes banks to Bank1 and turns the Function On.

Bank1 & Bank2 are unaffected and Switch A just functions as Rescue Function On or Off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the HeliFreak forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your REAL and WORKING email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. Use a real email address or you will not be granted access to the site. Thank you.
Email Address:
Where do you live? ie: Country, State, City or General Geographic Location please.
Name and Lastname
Enter name and last name here. (This information is not shown to the general public. Optional)
Helicopter #1
Enter Helicopter #1 type and equipment.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Helicopter #2
Enter Helicopter #2 type and equipment.
Helicopter #3
Enter Helicopter #3 type and equipment.
Helicopter #4
Enter Helicopter #4 type and equipment.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.